Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Charley, congrats on your US citizenship! Sounds lovely and what a good idea to have a choir singing, just to get you in the mood . I have my ceremony on Monday morning in Toronto - after a 21 month wait! Cant wait, its another item ticked of my list.
Good evening all,
Sorry to be a spoilsport at this time of the year,but I fail to see how anyone can take any pride in swearing an allegiance to a country if they did not mean it. Sounds a complete waste of time for any state to hold these ceremonies, if people can turn a blind eye to what it actualy meant. IMO, it would be the same as me swearing on the Holy Bible, when in fact I am not religious. Having said that, hope you all have your personal dreams come true.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I dont think for one minute America is going to war with the UK......not in my life time.
But yes i guess I committed perjury today
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

But please, those of you who have taken the oath, don't be offended--I am not calling you all perjurers! I would just find it hard, myself.
(May change my tune if green card life gets just too tricky!)

This is a decision everyone must make for him/herself...

Tina
Believe me that part wasnt easy for me either, its just something you have to do...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Well I dont think for one minute America is going to war with the UK......not in my life time.
But yes i guess I committed perjury today
Good For You Charleygirl, you finally did it...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Good evening all,
Sorry to be a spoilsport at this time of the year,but I fail to see how anyone can take any pride in swearing an allegiance to a country if they did not mean it. Sounds a complete waste of time for any state to hold these ceremonies, if people can turn a blind eye to what it actualy meant. IMO, it would be the same as me swearing on the Holy Bible, when in fact I am not religious. Having said that, hope you all have your personal dreams come true.
Each to their own - I wanted the security of the US citizenship as I had been here long enough paying taxes and also wanted to vote - purely practical reasons!! Trust me if ever the US and Britain go to war I know which side I'll be on

That being said I do think it is a waste of time to have these ceremonies and actually here in NJ they don't have a huge ceremony (or didn't 10 years ago when I became a citizen) which you have to attend after you have passed your interview- you actually swear the oath the day of your interview. You have your interview and have to wait until the end of that session when a judge comes in the interview waiting room, you all stand up and take the oath and that is it, no choirs singing to you and I'm not even sure the National anthem was played - though I have a feeling it was. Very anti-climatic really.

Last edited by Lorac05; Dec 18th 2010 at 1:06 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you Sally,
I am not as strong as maybe I come across on here, I cry at least once a day
When I was 7, I fell and hurt myself. I can't remember what I did, but there was a dressing and removing it was painful. One night I started crying before my mum started to remove the bandage. I remember sobbing and saying 'I'm sorry for being upset."

Mum said 'why are you sorry?"

I said "because it means I'm not brave."

And she pushed my hair back from my face and said "oh sweetie ...being brave doesn't mean not being upset - it means the opposite. It means that even when you're upset, you find a way to get through it."

So I think you are every bit as strong as you appear, and whether you cry or not has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 18th 2010 at 1:47 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good evening all,
Sorry to be a spoilsport at this time of the year,but I fail to see how anyone can take any pride in swearing an allegiance to a country if they did not mean it.
Life is very complicated isn't it? But I don't see anyone taking pride in anything. Just discussing.

I don't swear allegiance to any country. I'm just me doing the best I can. But whether or not I'm willing to promise to fight and die for this or that war, I have certainly contributed my share to this country I call my home.

I have dedicated countless hours to voluntary service here, have started a business here, have employed people here, and have made my contribution to the economy, even now in these dark times. I've done more than most people who are born here will do. If you want me to promise to kill people as well ... sorry - not doing that for any country.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Good evening all,
Well bluenose, yes, you've put your finger on what would bother me in taking the oath--swearing allegiance to the US, and renouncing any allegiance to England, when I wouldn't mean it at all.

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Life is very complicated isn't it? But I don't see anyone taking pride in anything. Just discussing.

I don't swear allegiance to any country. I'm just me doing the best I can. But whether or not I'm willing to promise to fight and die for this or that war, I have certainly contributed my share to this country I call my home.

I have dedicated countless hours to voluntary service here, have started a business here, have employed people here, and have made my contribution to the economy, even now in these dark times. I've done more than most people who are born here will do. If you want me to promise to kill people as well ... sorry - not doing that for any country.
Yes, Sally, I think there should be some sort of honorary citizenship, for people who have contributed so much to the country, as you obviously have,and I'm sure many other Brits living here (including me)--without having to renounce our home country or swear allegiance to the US.
A truly permanent residency that isn't renewable, as the green card is now, but just lasts for ever and is like being a citizen without having to swear that oath.

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately, like many others here, I had to do what was necessary, and take the oath to become a citizen of the USA. If I didnt I would forfeit my green card on taking up residence in another country.

My take on it (apart from crossing fingers behind my back like a schoolkid, and not saying some of the words that I truly resented) is that as a means to an end I had to become a citizen if I wanted the opportunity to return and live in the USA if it became necessary in the future, without all the trauma and financial concerns to do with dealing with immigration once again. USC hubby has close family there, so it may happen, and he felt strongly that we should not close any doors.It was a very difficult decision for me, and I railed against it for a while before the final interview. Some other countries allow permanent residents to come and go with less onerous conditions, but I offer no excuse, I became a US citizen in name only.

So congratulations to all on obtaining your US Passport, it could be vital for your future.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
When I was 7, I fell and hurt myself. I can't remember what I did, but there was a dressing and removing it was painful. One night I started crying before my mum started to remove the bandage. I remember sobbing and saying 'I'm sorry for being upset."

Mum said 'why are you sorry?"

I said "because it means I'm not brave."

And she pushed my hair back from my face and said "oh sweetie ...being brave doesn't mean not being upset - it means the opposite. It means that even when you're upset, you find a way to get through it."

So I think you are every bit as strong as you appear, and whether you cry or not has nothing to do with it.
Thank you Sally, now that really dd make me cry...but only because it was very sweet...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Unfortunately, like many others here, I had to do what was necessary, and take the oath to become a citizen of the USA. If I didnt I would forfeit my green card on taking up residence in another country.

My take on it (apart from crossing fingers behind my back like a schoolkid, and not saying some of the words that I truly resented) is that as a means to an end I had to become a citizen if I wanted the opportunity to return and live in the USA if it became necessary in the future, without all the trauma and financial concerns to do with dealing with immigration once again. USC hubby has close family there, so it may happen, and he felt strongly that we should not close any doors.It was a very difficult decision for me, and I railed against it for a while before the final interview. Some other countries allow permanent residents to come and go with less onerous conditions, but I offer no excuse, I became a US citizen in name only.

So congratulations to all on obtaining your US Passport, it could be vital for your future.
Sounds like what I did.
My three children all have dual nationality, so I didn't want to chance not being let back in one day and finally relented and did it. Dh had been bothering me for years, I did the fingers crossed and mumbled a lot
I didn't take it lightly really. It was really hard to finally go through with it.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Good evening all,
Its OK Bluenose your not a spoilsport, you are just giving us your opinion, and that's fine, if you were living here living under our circumstances you might see it differently.

I took citizenship 16 years ago, I was the last person in my family to do so, I had no idea what the oath entailed at that time, nobody had told me and I never thought to ask the question, after taking the test and waiting about 18 months to be called for swearing in I just did what was needed, I did not care for some parts of the oath, but at that point I had little choice in the matter, it was a split second decision, Yes I could have said no and walked away, but I didn't, and Yes I felt bad renouncing the UK, it really hurt, I felt like a traitor.

When I came here I was 19 years old, at that time I had to sign to agree and fight in a war if called to do so, but my sister a year younger didn't, it was sign or I wouldn't be allowed to come here with my family and have resident alien status (Green card), not bad for a country that doesn't like to discriminate, dont missunderstand me, I wouldn't want me sister to fight in a war, its just the principal.

I wonder how guys my age do in 2010, do they have to sign up for war? and what if they say they are Gay, would they be allowed to sign up or would they not be allowed in to this country, I've not really thought this out, these are just issues that come to mind knowing how this country is today with Don't Ask Don't Tell, sorry I'm rambling.

To vote here you have to be a U.S. Citizen, if you are an immigrant you have to be able to read and understand English in order to become a US Citizen, so why are election rules and regulations printed in 41 different languages, Id love an answer if anyone knows.

Let me add that I knew before swearing in that in the eyes of America I would be a citizen of America Only, in the UK they allow you to become Duals but not here.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Dec 18th 2010 at 4:15 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag

We read you loud n clear Goldcoast.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Let me add that I knew before swearing in that in the eyes of America I would be a citizen of America Only, in the UK they allow you to become Duals but not here.

Thanks Guys
I don't think you are right. The US does allow dual nationality. It may have something to do with collecting taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.