Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I think I'm related to some people on here (maybe because we were born in the same country) because we also use to let the old year out by walking out the back door and then walking in the front door and allowing the New Year to come in. Maybe the same poster who said they got their turkey from Chester. Well it was a tradition for us to pick up Christmas 'poultry' from the railway station in Liverpool. It had been sent by friends who were farmers near Chester.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am ore you could get away with 18 lbs so long as your Scotty isn't uncomfortable. She can travel in cabin throughout the US, Canada and Mexico. Not to the UK sadly
We bought a Wired Haired Fox terrier pup in England when we were on holiday and we took him on board the plane. He was a sensation on board because the cabin crew loved him and were parading up and down the isle with him('ell with serving the passenger). They even took him into the cockpit to show the deck crew the little fella they had found. We also loved the attention we got from our souvenir.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be alone on Christmas Day - and have done for many years. I plan on getting up - having coffee with Baileys and chocolate fingers for breakfast. Open my presents, call my family and eat some Quality Street. Then I will make dinner - Bangers and Mash with peas and gravy (I can get some real English sausages from Myers of Keswick in NYC)!! Then I'll go for a long walk to Liberty State Park and when I get home have some Cadbury's Hot Chocolate and whipped cream before snuggling down on the sofa to watch some PBS TV!!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Barb, Just for the info of all, Got this in the Emails a few minutes ago. I am on their mailing list (Barber's Estate Agents, Shropshire)::-

[SIZE="4"]Greenacres Way, Newport, Shropshire

Rent Per Calendar Month £525

A recently refurbished bungalow which includes a newly fitted kitchen and bathroom, new carpets throughout and it has been freshly decorated in neutral colours. The accommodation affords entrance hallway, lounge with fireplace, kitchen, lean to store room, two bedrooms and a bathroom, there are front and rear gardens including a driveway and pre fabricated garage. The property benefits from gas fired central heating and double glazing.
This is on Rightmove now.

this is the listing.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28721500.html
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I will be alone on Christmas Day - and have done for many years. I plan on getting up - having coffee with Baileys and chocolate fingers for breakfast. Open my presents, call my family and eat some Quality Street. Then I will make dinner - Bangers and Mash with peas and gravy (I can get some real English sausages from Myers of Keswick in NYC)!! Then I'll go for a long walk to Liberty State Park and when I get home have some Cadbury's Hot Chocolate and whipped cream before snuggling down on the sofa to watch some PBS TV!!
That sounds like a wonderful day

Thank goodness for PBS .

Merry Christmas from Indiana !
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Celticspirit...What are your son and daughter doing for Christmas could you spend sometime with them. When I feel lonely I give my dog a hug. Dogs are the best they are true and faithful when I lost my dear dog zoey my best friend last year it nearly broke my heart. I still cannot wipe her drool of the window.
Aw, this made me teary. We lost our favorite cat 4 years ago - she was more puppy than cat, so affectionate! She used to like to lie on a cushion in the corner of the room and we still haven't moved it 4 years later. I did bring myself to vacuum it, but I suspect it will be there until the day we leave this house, and then go down in the corner of wherever we end up.

Lorac05, your day sounds lovely. If I wasn't trying to lose weight, I'd follow it step-by-step. As it is, maybe I can have just a few Quality Street toffees. Surely they're not that bad for me ...

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 17th 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:36 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Awwww Trotty dont be sad..
This is the first Christmas in a long time that I am feeling a sense of hope for the future..Christmas is usually a depressing lonely time for me, but for the first time I have something to look forward too. I am sure that my CT will show that I am cancer free, and I can start a new and happy life in England.
I wish the best for everyone on this thread..and hope 2011 brings everyone, what they hope, and wish for.
Jackie
Jackie, you really are an inspiration. You have been so strong through this whole ordeal and I really admire you. I can't wait to follow your adventures next year when you get home!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Lorac05 maybe I can have just a few Quality Street toffees. Surely they're not that bad for me ...
They are bad for you if you have fillings in your teeth because they will lift the fillings right out. I can vouch for that!

Nar, Nar, Cadbury Roses Chocolates is the only way to go.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Honest to god, this sounds like my kind of day. Really. (I love being with myself. ) I hope you enjoy your special time.

We're 'walking' as well on Christmas Day, with London Walks. Here's their description of our walk:
Our afternoon walk is all about the man who some think invented Christmas - he didn't! He re-invented it! Before Mr Dickens and his stories came along Christmas was a rather small celebration on the Christian Calender. It was Dickens who words plumped, fluffed and sprinkled Christmas all over the world. So on Christmas afternoon we celebrate him: his words, his life and his Christmas - A Christmas before Cola turned Santa red. A Christmas in the gaslight. A Christmas in London.

The Charles Dickens Christmas Day walk at 2pm and we willbe talking about Charles Dickens' life and books and influences and of course Christmas and Christmas traditions. It explores the alleyways off The Strand and the Covent Garden area, places rich in Dickensian associations.

Great Expectations, Copperfield, Oliver Twist, and Pickwick all make an appearance and the highlights include London's finest Georgian alleyway and the sole surviving piece of Victorian underworld. A very special walk, not least because there is no traffic that day and we have the streets to ourselves.

Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone, back from my ceremony, 81 people from 41 countries and 3 Brits lots of Canadians. It went so smoothly and was so organised.
Lovely lovely ceremony, I was very surprised, had a choir of 4th graders singing a lovely selection of American Patriotic songs...
Old veterans led the national anthem, very nicely done, was not expecting it to be so moving.

Couldnt send of Passport ap. though as "they" did not show up, whoever "they" are.
good luck to everyone else going through the process.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lorac, sounds like a perfect day and if I was not so far away would come with you!! I agree though think my old teeth would prefer chocolate and not toffee, anyone else noticed as you get closer to 60 those darn things( teeth) seem to get more and more brittle and fewer and fewer......grrrr
Denise1, so happy you had a good time.
Fish enjoy your Christmas with family.
And i want to know where the lovely Barb has gone, come back.......
Trotty what you doing Monday afternoon.......wanna do summat ( thats me Lesta speak coming out).
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

That sounds like the perfect day Lorac!
Must try to get to a Brit shop for some goodies........
PBS - don't know what I'd do without it, honestly.
Will check in on the 25th......
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Honest to god, this sounds like my kind of day. Really. (I love being with myself. ) I hope you enjoy your special time.

We're 'walking' as well on Christmas Day, with London Walks. Here's their description of our walk:
Our afternoon walk is all about the man who some think invented Christmas - he didn't! He re-invented it! Before Mr Dickens and his stories came along Christmas was a rather small celebration on the Christian Calender. It was Dickens who words plumped, fluffed and sprinkled Christmas all over the world. So on Christmas afternoon we celebrate him: his words, his life and his Christmas - A Christmas before Cola turned Santa red. A Christmas in the gaslight. A Christmas in London.

The Charles Dickens Christmas Day walk at 2pm and we willbe talking about Charles Dickens' life and books and influences and of course Christmas and Christmas traditions. It explores the alleyways off The Strand and the Covent Garden area, places rich in Dickensian associations.

Great Expectations, Copperfield, Oliver Twist, and Pickwick all make an appearance and the highlights include London's finest Georgian alleyway and the sole surviving piece of Victorian underworld. A very special walk, not least because there is no traffic that day and we have the streets to ourselves.

Ooh, that sounds wonderful! Is the alleyway off St Martin's Lane, I wonder? You'll have to let us know........
Wish I could join you - wouldn't that be fun?
Happy, Merry Christmas!
Tanto
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charleygirl
hi everyone, back from my ceremony, 81 people from 41 countries and 3 Brits lots of Canadians. It went so smoothly and was so organised.
Lovely lovely ceremony, I was very surprised, had a choir of 4th graders singing a lovely selection of American Patriotic songs...
Old veterans led the national anthem, very nicely done, was not expecting it to be so moving.

Couldnt send of Passport ap. though as "they" did not show up, whoever "they" are.
good luck to everyone else going through the process.
Congrats, Charleygirl!!
You're one step closer to Blighty - I'm envious.............
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to apologise to Celticspirit and everybody else that thinks I was being mean and nasty.

I wasn't, I was being flippant, which obviously did not come across too well with the written word.

Nobody likes to be called trite and it was obviously this word that raised my hackles.

I have given CS sympathy in the past over her impending divorce, as I have many other people, and yes I do know what it is like to go through one on your own.

So once again I apologise for making waves on what is normally a peaceful thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.