Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Well of course its Brazil...lol..you didnt think it was gonna be China or something did you???
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i just watched the finale of Amazing Race. very happy as to who won so won't spoil it for those who have not seen it. they are nice folks and deserved to win it..
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we can't talk about it but the team we were routing for came in second.

If we got it right some of the people from this episode and some of the previous episodes are going to get a second chance on the next race. For example remember the Texas cowboys? I think they are going one of the teams.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well of course its Brazil...lol..you didnt think it was gonna be China or something did you???
Yes there were four mentioned as the next four superpowers. China, India, Brazil and ? can't remember.

Brazil economy is booming while most others are in recession.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes there were four mentioned as the next four superpowers. China, India, Brazil and ? can't remember.

Brazil economy is booming while most others are in recession.
That was an interesting story, It opened my eyes and was a refreshing outlook, The leader has it together, of course I didn't like the corruption, drugs violence and unpaved roads, but things are looking up for them, Did they say there was almost no unemployment.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 7:42 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
One piece of advice if you plan to need a mortgage when you return is to open an account with HSBC now and put your savings in there. Then when you return, you can open a UK account with them, and they carry over all your US credit ratings. That's vital because UK high street lenders may be reluctant to lend to you until you have a credit rating in the UK.

btw - if you save more than $100K, you can switch to a premium account and this gives you all kinds of relocation assistance.

I don't know how UK lenders are about age ... does anyone know if there an age after which it's impossible to get a mortgage? I've been assuming I won't be able to get one from a UK lender and would have to use an offshore bank, but I just wondered.
I at 55 got a mortgage through Halifax. They just up the payments according to the fact that you have fewer years to pay off. Other than that we had no problem.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
I at 55 got a mortgage through Halifax. They just up the payments according to the fact that you have fewer years to pay off. Other than that we had no problem.
That's very good to know, Thanks Calle.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Just wondering - who will be the 10,000 poster on this thread? It's bound to happen in the next week!!
The 10,000th poster should be the person who started this thread! So TT, please keep count and post as soon as you see the numbers changing...
My 2p worth... Rosie
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
They may have them now, Don. I don't know. I would be a bit lost without a garbage disposal.
Most councils over here collect food waste for composting. You have to separate your garbage into various bins for recycling, such as: glass, plastic, cardboard, paper + real garbage in another bin + food waste in a special bin with a locking lid. You can get into trouble if you do not do this separation - has been going on for years, long before the US got on the bandwagon. But now it is even better than it used to be. I have seen this everywhere that I have visited and stayed since my return.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Food Banks: Here is a link to the various Foodbanks in the UK.
http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That's good news as I'd be in my early 50s by the time I got back (if we stick to our current plan). My issue will be the fact that I am self-employed, so I understand that I'd probably have to borrow from an offshore bank for the first few years then refinance once I had a UK credit history. I'm hoping switching my banking to HSBC will make that not an issue, but I haven't done any investigating yet.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 13th 2010 at 12:36 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Calle. That's excellent news. Can you tell me how many years, then, they figure you have left to pay? I am wondering if they consider perhaps 65 the cap, meaning that if you are 55 you have 10 years to pay and split the payments over 10 years instead of 30 years.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks. That's good news as I'd be in my early 50s by the time I got back (if we stick to our current plan). My issue will be the fact that I am self-employed, so I understand that I'd probably have to borrow from an offshore bank for the first few years then refinance once I had a UK credit history. I'm hoping switching my banking to HSBC will make that not an issue, but I haven't done any investigating yet.
Does anyone know the names of these offshore banks? What is the criteria for getting a mortgage with them? Is it your US credit rating?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Me, too. I love the warm summers and the sunshine. I will really miss that! I also love the squirrels, raccoons and possums that visit. I will carry them in my heart always, though. Looking forward, I think of the squirrels and rabbits that may be around for snacks wherever I live in the UK

I will also miss Target stores. That's one great store! I am sure the UK has an equivalent, though.

I will just have to make up for the warm summers and sunshine by vacationing on the Mediterranean for a few weeks every year.

Ohh, I would also miss the garbage disposals. I don't think most have them in the UK.
No, we do the ecologically responsible thing and either compost or recycle food waste.

Garbage disposals are a ridiculously indulgent, wasteful and lazy piece of machinery that only serve to gunk up the water drainage system (Google New York and garbage disposal and I'm sure you will pull up a few choice articles on the subject).
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a garbage disposal ,never have -even here !

I think I am missing something perhaps ?

The garbage disposal chews up old food ...right ?

Why is that so much better than just throwing it in the bin ?

Or I guess if you are ecologically minded you would make a compost, like my Granny used to

Does the garbage disposal do more ?

Unrelated but ,

I would also like to add that I have never had a dishwasher either ,no particular reason -just never got one installed .
With these harsh Mid-west winters ,and my towns perchant for adding goodness knows what to the water? ...my face is 30's and my hands belong to someone in their 90's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.