Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by PAT M
Windsong, congratulations on getting the job. I do believe as has already been said good things happen on this thread
Thanks, Pat. You know I have noticed how good things come to the people here. I think a lot of that is due to the law of attraction - wanting some dreams to come true from a soul-deep level. When something is deep in your heart there is no greed or materialism attached, and it is said that when a yearning comes truly from the heart, it will materialize.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
He would have worked with Whittle, the man we exalt as the ''Spitfire man'' - I am ex Royal Air force, and worked for the Ministry of Defence for over 30 years, as did my second Wife. ( not this one!) dontheturner
Ahh, then you may know of him, Don - Noel Penny of Noel Penny Turbines in Coventry. He is/was also a professor at Oxford.

I just looked at Gibbet Hill in Coventry where he lives. It is BEAUTIFUL! I had no idea that the Midlands was so nice. Now, to be honest, I have only taken the train right through the Midlands but I was always led to believe it is very industrial and murky.

Don, you and he are close to the same age, too, so you may indeed know him.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 11th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Is it coincidence that Sally and Celtic both put up their avatars at the same time and thank you now I can put a face with a name or a baby with a name
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK its countdown time for Rosie since she is moving to Frome on Wednesday.
Did you get your train ticket? Be sure to take a picture of the train into Frome because it sounds uniquen. I think you said you may go into Bath or some other route this time so as not to have to lug your belongings too much?
I think I was looking at Westgate yesterday because they have express trains into Paddington and it is smaller than Frome but I think the housing is better in Frome. You mentioned the few shops in Frome and based on its size I think you may discover a lot more shops there.

How much did you have to pay the agent? This is probably all he gets out of it for his time, advertising and other expenses.

How much is the one way ticket on the train?

It will be so nice for you to be settled.

I can't thank you enough for the photos you took and they look so professional although sometimes I think I don't like professional pictures but yours are so much better.

Cheers
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calle where in Cheshire are you?
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Calle where in Cheshire are you?
I think (in previous posts) Calle mentioned she lived in Alsager, Cheshire.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I think (in previous posts) Calle mentioned she lived in Alsager, Cheshire.
Yes she does and soooo much nicer than t' grim Northern town my family live in.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
WOO HOO! It did indeed, Don. When the search results appeared, I recognized the name of his home instantly. Thank you SO much!

Now, I will get international calling added to my cell phone plan. It's too costly otherwise but relatively cheap with the plan.
I think you thanked the wrong person, unlesss dunroving is also named Don.

Congrats on the job, Im just catching up.

Cute Pooch.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
First Congratulations are in order to Windsong, Denises' husband and Barb for their good luck in getting jobs. How great for you all, especially you Barb, in some ways I do envy you working in London, it is such a great city always something to see and do.
All the snow is gone from Ayr and the sun was shining brightly today but winter is suppose to return with a vengence next week. I went downtown today and the Salvation Army band was playing Christmas Carols on the high street and although the snow was terrible for some people it would of felt much more like Christmas if there had of been snow. I can only imagine Barb how hard it must be to get in the Christmas spirit when it is warm and sunny.

Well, Wee MacGregor comes to live with me on Thursday evening so I have been out getting a few things for him. I did get him this lovely teepee type dog bed that looks so lovely and cozy, a teddy bear for him to curl up with incase he misses mom and siblings, a lovely bunch of toys for him to play with and a lovely blanket for him to curl up with. Also got a spring gate to put across the kitchen/living room. My goodness it is like having a new baby, thinking of what you need to put away so he can't get into things etc. For those who don't have dogs , I am sure you must think I am mad, for those who do, I am sure you understand completely.

We are going to spending Christmas in Greenock with a work collegue and her family, we have become quite good friends and she would not take no for an answer and insisted that Mac and I come for the holidays. She explained that the initiation fee was a bottle of Champagne when I asked if I could bring something. Sounds like a lovely time though, Christmas Eve is a candle lit church service in a 300 year old church and Christmas day will not be the traditional Turkey, it will be roast Venison.

Rodney I am glad that you are enjoying being back home, and I am sure you and your son will be able to reconcile, just give it time.

Jackie and Don not long now, just one more Christmas in your adopted lands and then home for good.

If I have forgotten enone, please forgive.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is the home I grew up in just outside of Edinburgh - lived there until we came to this place.

I had to crop it to take off the address.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 11th 2010 at 7:23 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone,
First Congratulations are in order to Windsong, Denises' husband and Barb for their good luck in getting jobs. How great for you all, especially you Barb, in some ways I do envy you working in London, it is such a great city always something to see and do.
All the snow is gone from Ayr and the sun was shining brightly today but winter is suppose to return with a vengence next week. I went downtown today and the Salvation Army band was playing Christmas Carols on the high street and although the snow was terrible for some people it would of felt much more like Christmas if there had of been snow. I can only imagine Barb how hard it must be to get in the Christmas spirit when it is warm and sunny.

Well, Wee MacGregor comes to live with me on Thursday evening so I have been out getting a few things for him. I did get him this lovely teepee type dog bed that looks so lovely and cozy, a teddy bear for him to curl up with incase he misses mom and siblings, a lovely bunch of toys for him to play with and a lovely blanket for him to curl up with. Also got a spring gate to put across the kitchen/living room. My goodness it is like having a new baby, thinking of what you need to put away so he can't get into things etc. For those who don't have dogs , I am sure you must think I am mad, for those who do, I am sure you understand completely.

We are going to spending Christmas in Greenock with a work collegue and her family, we have become quite good friends and she would not take no for an answer and insisted that Mac and I come for the holidays. She explained that the initiation fee was a bottle of Champagne when I asked if I could bring something. Sounds like a lovely time though, Christmas Eve is a candle lit church service in a 300 year old church and Christmas day will not be the traditional Turkey, it will be roast Venison.

Rodney I am glad that you are enjoying being back home, and I am sure you and your son will be able to reconcile, just give it time.

Jackie and Don not long now, just one more Christmas in your adopted lands and then home for good.

If I have forgotten enone, please forgive.
Hi Eastern - Yes I FULLY understand about wee Mac - I have two little dogs and two cats myself and they are my BABIES! They get Christmas presents AND Christmas dinner, too

One thing I really miss from the UK is a "real" midnight mass in an old, old church at Christmas time. One day . . .

Thank you for your congrats about my job. I can't WAIT to hear from Bee to see what she is going to do about the job offer in London. I hope she takes it!!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Eastern - Yes I FULLY understand about wee Mac - I have two little dogs and two cats myself and they are my BABIES! They get Christmas presents AND Christmas dinner, too

One thing I really miss from the UK is a "real" midnight mass in an old, old church at Christmas time. One day . . .

Thank you for your congrats about my job. I can't WAIT to hear from Bee to see what she is going to do about the job offer in London. I hope she takes it!!
I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but.....I was wondering if my US Netbook (laptop) will work in the UK?

I know I know..sorry!..
Jackie
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

lovely house Windsong. I live in the godforsaken desert where every home in my immediate vicinity is a cookie cutter home. no originality at all..Referring to Calle as well and Alsager I remember House Hunters International did an episode from Alsager and looked like a lovely place..
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but.....I was wondering if my US Netbook (laptop) will work in the UK?

I know I know..sorry!..
Jackie
Yes they do, Ds took his HP with him and it works fine he went to the computer shop and bought a new cable to plug it in the wall for a recharge.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
lovely house Windsong. I live in the godforsaken desert where every home in my immediate vicinity is a cookie cutter home. no originality at all..Referring to Calle as well and Alsager I remember House Hunters International did an episode from Alsager and looked like a lovely place..
Fulwood, what country are you in?

The house I posted is not where I live now - far from it. I made the mistake of leaving Scotland and coming to the USA but I am going to get out of here as quickly as I can. Unfortunately, I will not be able to afford to live in such a home again.

Will look up Alsager and have a look.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 11th 2010 at 8:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.