Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
When I worked at the Dole office, Thursday was PI day ("personal issue").....PI day was always quite an odiferous experience, very eccentric characters.
Have you read "Where's My Money?"

PI Day, PER, UB40, Weeding....it's all in there.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I got the job!!!!! More later.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

Congratulations
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Another prayer answered.
Congratulations!
When do you start?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Barb,
You are a lucky sod
You got a job and weren't looking for one.
Like someone said you must be well thought of by Quantas.
Lets see if I remember right. You are/were going by BA because of the better luggage allowance? So you don't have a household to move.
Lets all keep it quiet about you were planning on going on BA.
When do they want you to move?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big refrigerators.
I've seen a lot on Rightmove and they aren't in expensive homes either.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Congrats Windsong, I think someone up there is reading our forum!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, I finally, finally caught up! You have to read so fast as new posts keep appearing..I was away for a few days in France.

A correction to Trotty's amazing list--posted days ago--where she says I am going home soon, actually I am going to France w DH, because of his work--not quite home, but much nearer!

But Trotty, I love that you keep track of us all and keep us together and rein us in when we get snippy or political--I love that you started the thread in the first place, and look what a community you have created...I DO wish your house would sell and your own dreams could start coming true.

And I am really going to have to stop reading these posts, alas alas, as I simply don't have time, am supposed to be sorting stuff, tying up loose ends, packers coming next week..etc etc etc.

I LOVE all the stories we see unfolding here--Rodney is home with his Mum at last! And, Rodney, I do hope your son and you can grow closer somehow. David and partner are back too and soon will be looking for B & B in devon! Rosie likes Frome and has found a home! Windsong has the job in USA, so can earn and plan to get back home, Jackie has booked a ticket, Denise DDL loves England and Tony has a job and DDL may get one she really wants--good luck--by the way, tea lovers in USA, try Harney's tea, it's great.
And WOW Barb in Oz suddenly has the most amazing job offer in London, after wondering how on earth she was going to manage in UK--go for it, Bee!
And Celtic and charleygirl, hope things get easier and better for you...you know people here do care...
sallysimmons i agree about old houses and lots of other things you've been saying...
ED has lovely flat and Wee Mac will soon join her, rest of family from Canada as well, I hope, before too long....

and all the best to everyone, forgive any omissions of names....

I really have to stop regular readings. There ought to be some sort of feature, a sidebar or something, where if you have been away for a bit you can come back and instantly see where/what/how everyone is doing without reading through all the posts...Trotty's wonderful list sort of does that, but when coming back after a hiatus, you don't know it's there!

Anyway, enough--I have to focus on France for now.
(I know, I said that before, but now I really must!)
Good luck to all!

Tina.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Fantastic, congrats!!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hoo! Great things happen to people on this thread!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone.

The fact I got the job hasn't quite hit me yet - well, it has and it hasn't. I am almost afraid to relax in case it doesn't work out. I will be temp there for one month (2-3 weeks actually) and then permanent the first of the year.

It is very well paid so I will finally be able to plan my way home to the UK. that is the part I am MOST grateful about. I am going to try to live meagerly here and save all I can.

This weekend, I am preparing a notebook called "The Journey Back Home" so i can begin to plan. Gosh, even as I right this, I have tears in my eyes. to think that now I can "begin" the journey. FABULOUS!!!

I do have concerns about the UK, mostly because I have two small dogs and two cats I am taking with me. I SO want to find a place to live that will let me keep them all. I will not go unless I can keep them.

Do you think it would be possible to find somewhere that will let me keep four?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Oh my goodness, I finally, finally caught up! You have to read so fast as new posts keep appearing..I was away for a few days in France.

A correction to Trotty's amazing list--posted days ago--where she says I am going home soon, actually I am going to France w DH, because of his work--not quite home, but much nearer!

But Trotty, I love that you keep track of us all and keep us together and rein us in when we get snippy or political--I love that you started the thread in the first place, and look what a community you have created...I DO wish your house would sell and your own dreams could start coming true.

And I am really going to have to stop reading these posts, alas alas, as I simply don't have time, am supposed to be sorting stuff, tying up loose ends, packers coming next week..etc etc etc.

I LOVE all the stories we see unfolding here--Rodney is home with his Mum at last! And, Rodney, I do hope your son and you can grow closer somehow. David and partner are back too and soon will be looking for B & B in devon! Rosie likes Frome and has found a home! Windsong has the job in USA, so can earn and plan to get back home, Jackie has booked a ticket, Denise DDL loves England and Tony has a job and DDL may get one she really wants--good luck--by the way, tea lovers in USA, try Harney's tea, it's great.
And WOW Barb in Oz suddenly has the most amazing job offer in London, after wondering how on earth she was going to manage in UK--go for it, Bee!
And Celtic and charleygirl, hope things get easier and better for you...you know people here do care...
sallysimmons i agree about old houses and lots of other things you've been saying...
ED has lovely flat and Wee Mac will soon join her, rest of family from Canada as well, I hope, before too long....

and all the best to everyone, forgive any omissions of names....

I really have to stop regular readings. There ought to be some sort of feature, a sidebar or something, where if you have been away for a bit you can come back and instantly see where/what/how everyone is doing without reading through all the posts...Trotty's wonderful list sort of does that, but when coming back after a hiatus, you don't know it's there!

Anyway, enough--I have to focus on France for now.
(I know, I said that before, but now I really must!)
Good luck to all!

Tina.

I love France!!! Do you speak French? I actually had considered going there but I don't speak the language well enough to work there so it sort of rules it out for me.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wawa
Congrats Windsong, I think someone up there is reading our forum!
Thank you Wawa. I think so, too.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:24 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone.

I do have concerns about the UK, mostly because I have two small dogs and two cats I am taking with me. I SO want to find a place to live that will let me keep them all. I will not go unless I can keep them.

Do you think it would be possible to find somewhere that will let me keep four?
Yes! Anything is possible.

It may restrict your choices but you will definitely be able to find somewhere.

Major congrats on the job!!

I like the idea of a notebook - I have thought about making what I call my 'dream book' where I put all my plans and desires for my new life. Maybe it will be enough of a hint to my husband!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes! Anything is possible.

It may restrict your choices but you will definitely be able to find somewhere.

Major congrats on the job!!

I like the idea of a notebook - I have thought about making what I call my 'dream book' where I put all my plans and desires for my new life. Maybe it will be enough of a hint to my husband!
Thanks, Sally. That is my major concern. They are my family - my little babies

British people love animals so it should be quite doable. I'd love to find a little house out in the country somewhere so my dogs will have nice walks and my cats can watch the birds through the window. That's my dream - and a good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.