Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OK latest update from me...............

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )
That's a great opportunity to move straight into a job in London, it will give you time to look around and decide where you want to live, as you say as long as the $$$ will cover the more expensive costs of living and commuting in London, will they pay the "London Weighting" supplement? At least you won't have the added stress of joining recruitment agencies and attending interviews, and it's always much easier to get a job if you are already in one. Won't that look good on your CV, transferred by her Australian employer to their sister company in London. Well done.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Barb go for it, maybe your company will help you with your moving expenses as well....

cheers...Taffy
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

I think I know what's happening with the (Expats time display)...here it is..
When you are logged in it shows the correct time that matches your computer and when you are logged out and reading the posts it shows UK time which is very understanding...

cheers...Taffy
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

On the subject of washers and driers and fridge freezers, in our small terraced house in London, we had the washing machine and tall fridge freezer in the kitchen , we had the dryer in a bedroom, fortunately it was a condenser so no messy pipes sticking out of the window. Now we live in Italy, Italians either put their washing machines in the bathroom or put them into a laundry/utility room, houses are so much bigger here. When I was a child in the 50's we never owned a fridge (or washing machine), the shopping was done daily - so no need and in the summer a piece of damp muslin was placed over the milk jug and stored in a metal larder thingy where cheese could be kept as well. I remember my Mum wrapping loaves of sliced bread in teatowels at Christmas and storing them in the sideboard, while the frozen turkey (bought at the butchers) sat in its box defrosting for Christmas dinner. In those days when she went out shopping she would have to call into 3 or 4 different stores (Mansons the butchers, Tobies Grocery, The Welsh Dairy, Spicers the Greengrocers etc etc) now we have all those one stop supermarkets. The cheapest supermarket in London we found is Asda, then Tescos, Sainsbury's which have been around for ever ( I remember when they used to have a loose butter counter and the lady would use patters to shape it for you) are my favourite but more expensive. Did you know that people on a low income used to shop in Tesco's half an hour before closing time to get the reduced price cuts of meat and other fresh produce because they were near their sell by date, Tesco put them all together so they are easy to find. I wonder if they still do that. I cannot wait for all those Christmas treats waiting for us, mince pies, sticky toffee puddings, Christmas puddings, roll on Christmas.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )
Well, well - your life is one surprise after another. Where is your London office located? Here in Ealing the tube and the train both run, so you can get the Central or District lines, as well as a small train to Paddington, which takes 7 minutes only. House shares are about £500 per month, which is expensive. Alternatively, if you want to do so, you could live anywhere within a train ride. But you already know that... let me know if you want any information from this side of the pond. Rosie - so excited for you!!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hi Bee, I am a total lurker, but every now and again I have to get meself heard. This is one of those times. Take this opportunity and run with it. I think you are in the airline industry? I was for many, many years, working for BA, Qantas and Cathay Pacific. As someone suggested, take it and if you really dont feel happy, then move on. The best thing is you will have an income at the end of every month, even if its not that great, its a start and with a little networking and making new friends, you will soon find something better. Might they assist with your relocation, or would that be pushing it? Fantastic if they did, but if not, at least you have a job, and this changes everything! Congratulations, as it looks as though your life is taking an upward turn.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it. It will get you back to the UK with a job and that will allow you to get yourself settled and look around for something else if this job isn't what you want or you don't like working in or around London. You were going back anyway - so go back with a job and go from there. A no-brainer IMHO
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh it's hard to keep up this moves so fast.
Rodney Congrats on being back the fish and chips sounds wonderful, glad you are enjoying it all.

Bee Wow, go for it, what a great opportunity

Sally If you go to Cost plus world market you can buy imported Ty Phoo big bag for $9.99 280 bags I think That pretty much all we drink now, the US tea bags are too weak, and even the "British" Tetley they sell in local grocery stores just isn't right somehow.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to lose, everything to gain - go for it, and don't be afraid to hardball the negotiations (re: relocation expenses, etc.). They wouldn't have offered you the position if they didn't really want you, so you are in a strong position.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

How can you say NO??? it might be a Terrific Job, if it doesnt work out you can always quit later... I say thats an offer I wouldn't refuse, just find a place with good transport on edge of ole London.

Something tells me they really like you... Well Done Barb...
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Large, tall freezers are available - there is one in the house I am staying in, as well as a tall fridge. But here in the UK, people are energy conscious - prices are high. So you need to spend time looking at websites and familiarising yourself with the country and its' ways. Go to Barnes and Noble bookstores and look at the British magazines, the ones about houses, and furniture. Buy some, read even the ads in the back. Do that for a few months, then living here will not be so strange. This is not the states! Things are very different in many areas of life, daily living is more routine, and certainly more relaxed. At the moment you are thinking in American terms, but this is a good time to start acclimating to new ways of living, in the British style. Smaller, slower, calmer. Some people shop daily here, as they do in Europe, and storage is not then an issue. Like DDL says, she and Tony shop twice weekly - that makes for fresher produce. It is also a social issue, because many people are at home, and going to the shops makes for interaction with others. As for rentals allowing pets - perhaps you need to write privately to Celticspirit, as she is involved with animals and may have a better idea of where you can go for those needs. You may end up living in a rural setting - even renting a small farmhouse - think about that. Hope this helps. Rosie
Another Brilliant post from Rosie, Terrific Advice.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Here are two books that are very helpful and amazon.com stocks both...

1. Living and Working in Britain 7th Edition by David Hampshire
ISBN 978-1-905303-42-7

2. British Language & Culture by Lonely Planet
ISBN 978-1-86450-286-2

I have both books which I find very informative the latter of which is quite funny especially if you have been away from the UK for a long time..

cheers...Taffy
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Hello Barb,
I think it's Kismet! It's the Universe conspiring to support your decision to move back to the UK (if you believe in that sort of thing) - maybe that's the reason you 'had to' go back to Oz this time...........
I say go for it - you can always change your mind later if you don't enjoy the job, etc. Maybe they will give you a travel/relocation allowance?! Will you have to live near Heathrow/Piccadilly line?
I think it's fabulous!!
Tanto
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this: interesting concept.
http://www.theecologist.org/News/new...its_trees.html
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey B what a windfall. Just say "yes thank you" and get on with it. If it doesnt work out what have you lost? Nothing!!!!! Not too many people get a job offer before they go. OK so it is Staines but you dont have to live IN Staines - there will be transport from places further afield and sure they may be a bit more than you thought you might have to pay but what an opportunity!!! You have obviously made your mark in the company.

I lived in Chertsey for a while when I was a student (had a car, lived in a caravan for a couple of months) and it was a lovely place, probably quite pricey now though so dont despair of finding somewhere nice - you will probably find that the public transport in that area is just fine.

If you are really lucky maybe they will put you up for 2 - 3 weeks so you can find somewhere to live and hit the ground running!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.