Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
You know, I was just thinking, I have not seen a tall fridge over there. I have been looking at some of the houses and not seen a fridge that is tall. I assume there is one but it must be waist height. Also the washers are in the kitchens but I don't see dryers. Maybe they still use a clothesline.
Yes - have dryers too. Don
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:27 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Coronation Street - anyone watching it the last few days? WOW! What a tram crash! I hope Peter lives!
I live in Dubai and am avid watcher of Corrie. We are 6 weeks behind the UK.

I was aware that in UK something big has gone on in the plot, due to snippets of headlines on various sites like this, but have tried to avoid them.

Thanks for the update

Mind you, don't feel bad, I am home for Christmas in 7 days, so would have been unable to avoid it.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry to hear the news about your wife's father's passing, FnC. My dad died in 2004 and I didn't even find out until 2006. I have come to terms with it but I hadn't seen him since 1989 and I wanted to see him one more time.

I wasn't in touch with my father towards the end. I had been sending him over $500 a month for five years and when I lost that very good job I mentioned, I could no longer afford to do it. I was so embarrassed I lost touch with him. Today, I am glad I could send him that money while I was able to.
That really is Sad, at least you tried to help him, Im sure he would feel good about that.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
That really is Sad, at least you tried to help him, Im sure he would feel good about that.
That's right, FnC. I am glad I was able to make his elderly years very comfortable.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I lost weight when I was in the UK too. I put my weight loss down to not having a car. Lots and lots of walking.

HOWEVER (people beware!!) in my last few months when the weather was really bad (and I knew I would have to come back here) I took to comfort eating and put back what I had lost and more. I cannot believe I did this, but I did...........I ate a WHOLE tin of Cadbury's Roses. A WHOLE tin all to myself, sure not in a day but still..............delicious they were too.
I lost half a stone on my holidays recently as well - I really think it was all the incidental exercise and all the stairs! I could barely walk up stairs when I arrived because we just dont have many of them around here but when I left I was almost running up them.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:18 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I managed to get back for the funeral - it was hard - I had just applied for my Green Card and you know the way the INS takes your passport and you can't really travel (at least they did back then). I had problems getting back there and had to contact a lawyer in New York. Even now, I still panic about the thought of not having a passport and always feel nervous when I have to send it off for renewal.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. A similar thing happened to me but with my U.S. passport (I am American). I had sent my passport in for renewal and my father-in-law in London died very suddenly and unexpectedly. My husband and I started frantically to make arrangements to fly to London the very next day and lo and behold I remembered that I didn't have a passport! My husband was so distraught over his father's death there was no way he could fly alone.

I didn't even know where to begin when a friend suggested I get in touch with my local Congressman. I rang his office and - to make a long story short - I had my new Passport FedEx'd to my front door the very next morning, in time to make our afternoon flight.

I lived in South Carolina at the time and somehow or other they traced my in-process passport to a facility in New Hampshire. I was so impressed with the "cutting" of all that red tape.

Again like you, because of that incident I too don't like being without my passport. That's one of the reasons that I applied for my [UK] ILR in person at The Home Office last week instead of doing it by post where it could have taken anywhere between 1-6 months. It cost me 500 quid more for the Premium same-day service, but I never had to part with my passport except for a couple of hours.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:27 am
DDL

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Denise - Just a few snippets about Typhoo Tea in particular - you may not be aware of. My Mother, was a printer by trade, and at the age of 16, was working for Typhoo Tea, (in Needless Alley, Birmingham) during the 14/18 War - and used to boastfully tell me - they got a daily morning ''Tea break'' before there was even thought of it, in any other industry. She said they were a very good company to work for, and were allowed 15 minutes, sitting outside in the street, to drink it. (However, I have since read that they paid pittance wages, to the Tea Workers, who grew it, in Ceylon India) Do you remember, or are you aware of the Grey & Red boxes, it was packed in? Oh! - and I do have a Typhoo Teapot.(Black, with removable filter, for the leaves) dontheturner
Hi Don, and thanks for that story. I love hearing about things like this. I think the Tea Break era was fascinating. I for one would not have been embarrassed to have been a Tea Lady! What a wonderful thing for employees - much better than just sticking a drinks and candy machine in a room.

Yes, the poor tea pluckers are never paid enough but things are slowly improving. Most plantations now provide housing, schools, and medical care and it's usually a family affair with the mothers and older children working in the fields and the husbands and older boys working in the tea processing factory which is usually on-site. Fairtrade has also helped workers although I always remind people that Fairtrade tea doesn't necessarily mean that it's better quality tea.

Long live the teapot! I confess that most of the time it's a teabag for me, but there's nothing more satisfying than brewing up a pot of proper tea using looseleaf tea. And I'd like to award First Prize to you for using a removable filter! That's definitely the way to go, Don!

Oh gosh y'all....don't get me started on tea! I could talk for England about tea!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:41 am
DDL

Just to clarify re fridges, washers and dryers.

Yes, large fridges are available over here but it's been my experience that you will only find them in the more expensive of homes. All the flats we've looked at to let have only the small size fridge or only the room for a small size fridge.

Also, all the flats we've looked at only have room (in the kitchen usually) for a small washer but not a dryer. If you rent a semi or better, sometimes you'll have space for a washer and dryer, but it just depends. Still loads of hanging out laundry to dry over here .... or people bringing their wet laundry to the laundramat to dry.

In the house Tony and I used to live in over here we had to stick the dryer vent out the kitchen window when using the dryer. I always hated that not just from an aesthetic point of view but we lived in a bad area and I didn't like keeping the window open.

Here at mum's she has a condenser dryer. There's a removable container underneath the dryer that you pull out and empty of water after several batches of drying.

I've also seen single units that are both a washer and a dryer. It looks just like a washing machine but it's a washer and a dryer. I've heard they don't work very well, but I'd be willing to give it a go in order to avoid hanging out laundry. Especially in this climate!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OMG Bee, I think we are the same person..lol
Jackie
Well I am a Gemini.......twin.......split in two LOL!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I live in Dubai and am avid watcher of Corrie. We are 6 weeks behind the UK.

I was aware that in UK something big has gone on in the plot, due to snippets of headlines on various sites like this, but have tried to avoid them.

Thanks for the update

Mind you, don't feel bad, I am home for Christmas in 7 days, so would have been unable to avoid it.
In Australia we are 3 months behind but only on cable TV which I don't have so I watch ITV player and am bang up to date.........oh and Windsong is right, what a blinder was played for the 50th Corrie Anniversary!! (but I can't tell anybody here in Oz LOL!!)
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by quoll
I lost half a stone on my holidays recently as well - I really think it was all the incidental exercise and all the stairs! I could barely walk up stairs when I arrived because we just dont have many of them around here but when I left I was almost running up them.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:26 am
Home Sweet Home

OK latest update from me...............

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 10th 2010 at 9:28 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:58 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;9032221]Thank goodness there's no hunting season. I HATE that. I always wish the hunters were the hunted.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:02 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OK latest update from me...............

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )
I'd say its brilliant!!!! Whats to think about?? Things happen for a reason and this is your destiny...
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I was just thinking, I have not seen a tall fridge over there. I have been looking at some of the houses and not seen a fridge that is tall. I assume there is one but it must be waist height. Also the washers are in the kitchens but I don't see dryers. Maybe they still use a clothesline.
Large, tall freezers are available - there is one in the house I am staying in, as well as a tall fridge. But here in the UK, people are energy conscious - prices are high. So you need to spend time looking at websites and familiarising yourself with the country and its' ways. Go to Barnes and Noble bookstores and look at the British magazines, the ones about houses, and furniture. Buy some, read even the ads in the back. Do that for a few months, then living here will not be so strange. This is not the states! Things are very different in many areas of life, daily living is more routine, and certainly more relaxed. At the moment you are thinking in American terms, but this is a good time to start acclimating to new ways of living, in the British style. Smaller, slower, calmer. Some people shop daily here, as they do in Europe, and storage is not then an issue. Like DDL says, she and Tony shop twice weekly - that makes for fresher produce. It is also a social issue, because many people are at home, and going to the shops makes for interaction with others. As for rentals allowing pets - perhaps you need to write privately to Celticspirit, as she is involved with animals and may have a better idea of where you can go for those needs. You may end up living in a rural setting - even renting a small farmhouse - think about that. Hope this helps. Rosie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.