Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

My first week has gone really well although it has been extremely cold it has been great catching up with old friends. We have not yet traveled to Devon but will be doing so tomorrow. It has not snowed again but there is still quite a lot around as the temperature has barely gone above 0 centigrade

My niece and her husband came by to visit the other day so it was great to catch up. Our friends whom we stay with have had a constant stream of visitors and they are constantly making runs to the airport either to pick up or drop off. Today my friend's Maltese nephew and wife returned to Malta after coming to England to buy laptops and ski boots. They say everything is so much more expensive in Malta.

We went into London one day and checked out several large stores including Selfridges and John Lewis. We found the prices of appliances to be very good here compared to Canada. Have been grocery shopping a few times and find it much cheaper than Canada especially as you can find so many things on special offer. My favourite grocery store is Waitrose but Morrisons is less expensive and still good. Wines are very well priced and there are always some on special offer.
Today we went out to a lovely farm shop called Fanny's. Wonderful homemade preserves, chutneys, homemade cakes and we even got to stir the Christmas pudding and make a wish. They had a lovely little tea shop and also a tree house cafe but that would have been a wee bit cold up there today

We are making dinner tonight for our hosts so I will sign off and get back to the kitchen..
Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rod...

Just realized that I forgot to send you some comments and I'm short on time...

Glad you are loving it, Hope the Fish n Chips were awesome...

As Regards your son, just take it one step at a time, I know you had your reasons, but from where he may stand it may seem totally different, Just try to stand in his shoes for a moment, be as understanding with him as you are with us, given time I think he will forgive you, that would be the perfect thing don't you think.

He came to see you and that shows he cares, thats a good thing...

Life is too short, mending fences and making people happy is always the right thing to do.

Take Care Pal, and Enjoy.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Fish totally confused about the time......my post says 11.25 yours 2 hours earlier, so either you were here at like 4 a.m of something......or my times is wrong. It is 6.25a.m here.
My computer shows me I posted at 1.26am which sounds right to me...

Your message was posted at 3,25am my time which is right as we have a three hour time difference, Im on Pacific time.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
My first week has gone really well although it has been extremely cold it has been great catching up with old friends. We have not yet traveled to Devon but will be doing so tomorrow. It has not snowed again but there is still quite a lot around as the temperature has barely gone above 0 centigrade

My niece and her husband came by to visit the other day so it was great to catch up. Our friends whom we stay with have had a constant stream of visitors and they are constantly making runs to the airport either to pick up or drop off. Today my friend's Maltese nephew and wife returned to Malta after coming to England to buy laptops and ski boots. They say everything is so much more expensive in Malta.

We went into London one day and checked out several large stores including Selfridges and John Lewis. We found the prices of appliances to be very good here compared to Canada. Have been grocery shopping a few times and find it much cheaper than Canada especially as you can find so many things on special offer. My favourite grocery store is Waitrose but Morrisons is less expensive and still good. Wines are very well priced and there are always some on special offer.
Today we went out to a lovely farm shop called Fanny's. Wonderful homemade preserves, chutneys, homemade cakes and we even got to stir the Christmas pudding and make a wish. They had a lovely little tea shop and also a tree house cafe but that would have been a wee bit cold up there today

We are making dinner tonight for our hosts so I will sign off and get back to the kitchen..
It all sounds very wonderful to us, I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourselves...
Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not me. I haven't ever had a lot of body fat, but my level of physical activity has decreased considerably since I came back, and I find the cold weather makes me more likely to eat comfort food. Consequently, although my body weight hasn't really changed, my body composition has (less muscle mass, more fat mass).
Has your level of physical activity decreased because of not being able to get out so much due to the weather? I'm in Los Angeles and walk 5+ miles every day, and thinking about going back to near Glasgow/Edinburgh. Actual weather is foreign to me now and I'm trying to understand how it impacts life in Scotland.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Has your level of physical activity decreased because of not being able to get out so much due to the weather? I'm in Los Angeles and walk 5+ miles every day, and thinking about going back to near Glasgow/Edinburgh. Actual weather is foreign to me now and I'm trying to understand how it impacts life in Scotland.
Mainly a weather thing, but also lack of easy access to exercise opportunities (I used to work in a university facility with exercise equipment and an indoor track), much worse riding conditions (I used to ride my bike 100's of miles each month - now hardly ever), much less available leaisure time (90 minute daily driving commute vs. 10-min daily walking commute, plus now work every evening and weekend vs. just some evenings and weekends), and dog situation (used to just be able to leave the dog in the back yard, but now have to arrange complicated dog-sitting/walking arrangements).

Having said that, I am very lucky here to be within close access to miles of lovely country walking - but compared to cycling along at 20 mph, walking/hiking is a relatively mild level of exertion.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:36 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
For the few on here who report regularly and have returned to the UK I would like to ask if you have lost any weight? This could happen because of walking more or by eating meat and drinking milk that hasn't been treated with growth hormones or from a change in diet altogether. Some people have said living in a cold climate can burn off fat also.????

I've definitely lost weight - clothes that I brought over with me are becoming a bit baggy - and I put it down to all the walking we do. We came from South Carolina where, for the majority of the year, it was just TOO hot and humid to even want to BE outside, much less STAY outside. We love being outside here.

With regard to milk, I hear what you are saying but there is also a big negative associated with food over here: very short shelf life. Between the small size of mum's refrigerator and the short shelf life of food, Tony and I usually end up having to do a food shop twice a week.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:40 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Today we went out to a lovely farm shop called Fanny's. Wonderful homemade preserves, chutneys, homemade cakes and we even got to stir the Christmas pudding and make a wish. They had a lovely little tea shop and also a tree house cafe but that would have been a wee bit cold up there today.
I don't think I've had a chance to say WELCOME HOME!

That wouldn't be Fanny's Farm Shop in Surrey, per chance, would it?
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you!! You sound like you are having a blast and I'm very envious.

Enjoy Devon!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I've definitely lost weight - clothes that I brought over with me are becoming a bit baggy - and I put it down to all the walking we do. We came from South Carolina where, for the majority of the year, it was just TOO hot and humid to even want to BE outside, much less STAY outside. We love being outside here.

With regard to milk, I hear what you are saying but there is also a big negative associated with food over here: very short shelf life. Between the small size of mum's refrigerator and the short shelf life of food, Tony and I usually end up having to do a food shop twice a week.
Oh yes Denise, I had forgotten about the little fridges, those wee ones that fit under the kitchen counter.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderful David. Looking forward to more of your posts, especially about beautiful Devon.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Hey, at the moment you could just leave it out in the garden and it will last for days!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw lovely to read Davids post and Rodneys from a few days back, Rodney as Fish said, big step him coming to see you, I think he will be back... and I am so so happy for you that all is going well.

A comment about the docs, i posted that when i was home I had to go to see the doctor I never actually lied but did not say i was not back permanently so i was registered, got seen straight away and they did blood work up too everything......and now my SIL tells me I have an appointment arrived for a mammogram, wonderful service I think.....

So very homesick today........it is freezing cold here that wind that chills to the bone, went out to try and put up some Christmas decs. too cold.

I hate when i see those trees thrown outside the day after, what is that all about.......Christmas for me starts Dec 1st and goes on til Jan 6th!
any excuse to drink and be merry...
Oh okay Fish about the time...........I think i am i UK time.....can it be changed on here.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
For the few on here who report regularly and have returned to the UK I would like to ask if you have lost any weight? This could happen because of walking more or by eating meat and drinking milk that hasn't been treated with growth hormones or from a change in diet altogether. Some people have said living in a cold climate can burn off fat also.????
Good ? I have lost about 7 pounds in as many weeks. Lots of walking, much smaller portions, slim friends, decent non fat foods. Rarely eat meat - my friends do not cook it and when I bought some, it did not taste good, so I guess my taste buds have changed. Lots of fish at one house, little chicken. The portions here really are small compared to the USA, and though I am sometimes hungry at night, I have lost weight which is a good thing. I walk so much too - I am convinced the British must be a very healthy nation, as there is so much outdoor activity in just the daily tasks. Walking to the train or bus or tube, carrying parcels everywhere. I have rarely gone in a car, unless it has been a taxi that I have paid for. I will be living amongst the shops when I move, so I will be on the go a lot of the time.
Most of the people I see are slim, very slim by American standards. Better food, much of it is organic.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 6:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

I lost weight when I was in the UK too. I put my weight loss down to not having a car. Lots and lots of walking.

HOWEVER (people beware!!) in my last few months when the weather was really bad (and I knew I would have to come back here) I took to comfort eating and put back what I had lost and more. I cannot believe I did this, but I did...........I ate a WHOLE tin of Cadbury's Roses. A WHOLE tin all to myself, sure not in a day but still..............delicious they were too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.