Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Just wondering - how Trotty's house showing went today, how Rodney's doing and when we're going to hear from him, how David (High Tide) and partner are getting on in England (in the snow - well they came from Canada so they are used to it), also Denise (DDL) and hubby, also haven't heard from Charley Girl for a while. Also Anna (AES) in Malta - last time she posted she was back in England but hoping to return to Malta.
Well I'm signing off for the night - we are supposed to get 10 inches of snow between tonight and rush-hour tomorrow, so I'm not looking forward to that! Hope I can get to work tomorrow. I hate winter!!!
Strange you should mention Malta. At my temp job, there is a woman there who is Maltese - well, she is of Maltese heritage but first generation born in this country (USA). She says she is always considering going to live in Malta. She has lots of family there and visits regularly so she is in somewhat a different position than me.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I know Limavady - I didn't live too far from there - I was there last summer visiting a friend. I'm not a dog owner, although I love all animals (I'm more of a cat person), but I like to watch the dog shows on television.
I just wondered why your name is "Derrygal"??
My daddy's family was from Derry. My maiden name is Doherty.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering - how Trotty's house showing went today, how Rodney's doing and when we're going to hear from him, how David (High Tide) and partner are getting on in England (in the snow - well they came from Canada so they are used to it), also Denise (DDL) and hubby, also haven't heard from Charley Girl for a while. Also Anna (AES) in Malta - last time she posted she was back in England but hoping to return to Malta.
Well I'm signing off for the night - we are supposed to get 10 inches of snow between tonight and rush-hour tomorrow, so I'm not looking forward to that! Hope I can get to work tomorrow. I hate winter!!!
Limavady has had it's share of snow this past week. I have seen the photos!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered something!!! You have to pay tax on your U.S. social security! It also means reduced income.

I wonder if my company pension is taxable. Knowing the U.S., it probably is.

But what country's taxes would I pay on these - UK or US?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed up till almost 2 cleaning and hoovering and doing those last minute things. All turned out for nothing those people came in and at most spent 5 minutes in the house and then left. I put out coffee and cookies. How do I know how long they spent I put a recorder in a basket with pine cones on top. They had another 9 houses to look at

What did I learn from listening to the recording, when you sign up an estate agent ask them to walk around the house with you ask them to point out the good areas of the house and ask them what they know about your house from looking at the information on it. I have decided that ours knows didly squaq about ours. She was vague and when asked a couple of questions did not know the answers. So next time we hire an estate agent I shall make sure that they know my house inside out every detail of it I dont care how many others they have to sell. They are getting paid to sell mine.
I am in a bad mood as I am really sick my head is pounding and I cannot swallow. My husband brought me a round of toast this morning and I didnt realize how bad my throat was, when the toast went down it was like glass cutting the sides of my throat
So once again its a no on the house. Still it looks very nice

I get about 40 pounds a week pension from the UK. But I stopped working at about 30 and then worked on and off till we left when I was 36.

My niece gets her food delivered and then just goes into town to buy veg and food she wants from Marks and Spencers. I bought my Mum one of those carts on wheels you would have thought I had told her she was going in a nursing home. She went beserk. Told me I should use it. But she did keep it and years later she did use it.

Windsong. We get grey squirrels here in the NE and a few Red. Some of the grey squirrels are as big as a small cat. In the UK they have had trouble with the grey squirrels they are trying to increase the amount of red squirrels. I like the squirrels but not when they are emptying my bird feeders.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I stayed up till almost 2 cleaning and hoovering and doing those last minute things. All turned out for nothing those people came in and at most spent 5 minutes in the house and then left. I put out coffee and cookies. How do I know how long they spent I put a recorder in a basket with pine cones on top. They had another 9 houses to look at

What did I learn from listening to the recording, when you sign up an estate agent ask them to walk around the house with you ask them to point out the good areas of the house and ask them what they know about your house from looking at the information on it. I have decided that ours knows didly squaq about ours. She was vague and when asked a couple of questions did not know the answers. So next time we hire an estate agent I shall make sure that they know my house inside out every detail of it I dont care how many others they have to sell. They are getting paid to sell mine.
I am in a bad mood as I am really sick my head is pounding and I cannot swallow. My husband brought me a round of toast this morning and I didnt realize how bad my throat was, when the toast went down it was like glass cutting the sides of my throat
So once again its a no on the house. Still it looks very nice

I get about 40 pounds a week pension from the UK. But I stopped working at about 30 and then worked on and off till we left when I was 36.

My niece gets her food delivered and then just goes into town to buy veg and food she wants from Marks and Spencers. I bought my Mum one of those carts on wheels you would have thought I had told her she was going in a nursing home. She went beserk. Told me I should use it. But she did keep it and years later she did use it.

Windsong. We get grey squirrels here in the NE and a few Red. Some of the grey squirrels are as big as a small cat. In the UK they have had trouble with the grey squirrels they are trying to increase the amount of red squirrels. I like the squirrels but not when they are emptying my bird feeders.
Trotty, that seems like a pretty decent amount for working only those years.

Love squirrels - can't wait to see them - grey or red

I have one of those shopping carts here. Bought it for my mother but she never used it. I may see if I can take it back with me by loading it full of luggage. It's huge.

Sorry about the house showing. I hate prepping a house for showing. Some agents know about staging it and some don't - most don't.

I love the idea of having groceries delivered. That way the only shopping left is small items and the fun stuff )
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I stayed up till almost 2 cleaning and hoovering the squirrels but not when they are emptying my bird feeders.
Hello Trotty, I feel so sorry for you having gone to all that trouble, and them not having the courtesy to view properly. The agent was very poor at the selling.

Years ago, I understand some kind idiot, imported the grey squirrel into England, I think from France ( but I may be wrong) and they are a stronger breed, and through interbreeding, have decimated the red ones.

Also of course, have to be careful with rabbits - they carry myxamotosis (Spell?) and that also was reportedly brought into England, by Farmers, wanting to kill them off. Let us hope your next viewing carries more success. Don
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Don thats what I read that someone brought that special breed of grey squirrel to the UK. These people interfer with nature and cause havoc. We have something called the Japanese Beetle that was introduced into the US for some reason now its out of control and eating my roses.

I am not at my best today its always a let down after someone comes to see the the house and they really didnt care to look at it to begin with. What happens is their estate agents gets them as many viewings as they can whether they are interested in a certain type or not. Course if I was viewing this house today I wouldnt buy it either. But 10 years ago I didnt have a brain I shared my husbands.[/I]. Long story
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yes Don thats what I read that someone brought that special breed of grey squirrel to the UK. These people interfer with nature and cause havoc. We have something called the Japanese Beetle that was introduced into the US for some reason now its out of control and eating my roses.
But 10 years ago I didnt have a brain I shared my husbands.[/I]. Long story
I really don't believe that last bit, one iota - You are a very understanding person, whereas, i get a bit above myself sometimes - you should hear me, just ranting about Thai Drivers! - (Tim is typical Thai, never ever argues, just wins in the end. (They are very placid people - sound your horn at them, and they do not hear it.)
Better luck with the next viewers, - We need you soon, so Rod, myself, you and ED can all meet up & try the Greggs sausage rolls -. ( snow will be gone) Dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 6th 2010 at 6:07 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

I am not at my best today its always a let down after someone comes to see the the house and they really didnt care to look at it to begin with. What happens is their estate agents gets them as many viewings as they can whether they are interested in a certain type or not. Course if I was viewing this house today I wouldnt buy it either. But 10 years ago I didnt have a brain I shared my husbands.[/I]. Long story
Feel better, Trotty, and take good care of yourself.
I'm sure your house will sell when you least expect it. Isn't spring time good for selling? Do you think it would help for you to have a little info sheet re: the facts on your house for prospective buyers? I have never sold a house, so I'm not sure. Will have to face that at some point........
Drink lots of tea and soup!
Tanto
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

roses.
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-ubon23-092a1.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Mummy - First thing to do for you in the UK? Find 'GREGGS' in any large town, Pop in as soon as they open, at 9am, ( Mind you don't get injured in the crush) and get two Sausage rolls - red hot they are. Stand there, and devour them.. Fantastic! One will get your attention , two will satisfy you for an hour or two of shopping.

Alternatively, come to Wellington Shropshire, When I am back and meet up with Rodney, and I will treat you. dontheturner
Don I'm a big fan of Greggs sausage rolls, Love Um...
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanto
Wow, Fish, incredible words of advice and wisdom! Thank you for sharing them with us - how lucky are we to have you in our company!!!
I have a feeling things will start moving for you soon. Are you ready?
Tanto
Thanks Tanto, I try to be a common sense thinker.

Am I ready?, No Im really not, Once my parents home is sold I will start clearing out, I still have things here that belonged to my parents that need sorting/dividing between us three kids, Id like us all to be here to do that, One of my sisters lives 950 miles away, so its not an easy thing.

I'm not so worried, I need to focus on my earnings right now as my savings are dropping, I need to stop and reverse that, then I will focus more on the move, I'm not a multi-tasker, Im a perfectionist which does and doesn't help.

Take Care...
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

No time to read posts today - off to Paddington in a few minutes. Bitterly cold day here in London - hope it is warmer in Frome! I will be back on the system tomorrow night. All the best to everyone. Rosie
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Nice couple Don!

Now how did you get to post that picture? We need more pictures on here.
Care to share?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.