Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's not £40 a week it's more like £90 and some change. That the state pension my Mum gets. Plus private pensions she's doing really well, more than enough to visit us in the US twice a year and my sister in Spain annually too.

Dh and I aren't eligible to collect US pension till 67 from what I can see, that seems a bit off I thought it was 65.
Rents seem pretty high some areas but if you look about you can find nice places for less through the estate agents and the local paper.
The state pension is now £132 per week - whatever you get, plus you apply for Pension Credit if you need to, which is a separate top up scheme. This brings everyone's state pension to £132. If you get Pension Credit, you are then eligible for other social benefits. As soon as you are able to, look at the Age UK site on the internet - I know, I thought long and hard before going through the door, as I do not feel old. But this organisation is set up for people over 60, and that is most of us on this thread. And I met with a lovely woman, younger than me, who helped me through the muddle I was in. As I told her, I thought I was intelligent before I came to the UK, but I was having doubts now with all the benefits available here, and not knowing where to start. Start with Age UK, then go to the Pensions site, bookmark pages, send for your pensions application form, and get started as soon as you are able to. That means 4 months prior to your pensionable age, which here is 60. The overseas pensions forms look different to the UK forms, but they end up at the same place. And you will have a specific worker to email from overseas. Here they want you to phone them, as it is supposedly quicker. Whatever way you go, it takes about 8 weeks to process, as it involves looking into your UK pension + your overseas pension to see if you need topping up for credits from work time in the USA (or wherever you are located). I am in the waiting time now, and I wish I had done it the week I arrived, because then I would not be scared about using my savings for rent, instead of my pension. I have very limited funds as most of you know. But no one lives on the streets in the UK unless they want to, and though we may none of us end up with similar living circumstances as we did in the states, it is home. And there is endless help and assistance available - walk down any High Street in any small town, and you will find Social Services, doctor's offices we can use (for free!) and my now beloved Age UK (used to be Age Concern). Face it folks - we ain't 20 any longer...

Last edited by islandwoman120; Dec 5th 2010 at 9:24 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I do understand where you are coming from. I lived a very good life as a child here, went to private school at one point ( which I hated, so went back to local school), equestrian lessons, family holidays to Europe etc. Six years ago my husband and I had everything, we had just sold my very successful business for a lot of money which we stupidly invested with a Financial Invester company, whose owner is now awaiting trial for fraud after a 3 year search for him. Now we are starting backover again and although it would be so much easier if the d*m house would just sell.
In the end it does not really matter what they think, it means more to me that I am happy, that I raised my children to become independent and very productive adults and that I am married to a person who loves me and is willing to move from his homeland to mine. I have met up some of these women with whom I went to school with and guess what, although financially they are much better off than I, they are either in very bad marriages, their children are in rehab, not talking to them or they are already divorced and are out their trying to find their "soul mate". Are they happier than I am, I very much doubt it, they just hide it very well, filling their days with shopping, travel and drinking lots of wine, wait a minute I think I will apply for that position
Ed you do speak the truth, and yes people do try to hide things well, Money is important as we need it to survive, but Happiness wins everytime.

I have to ask, what kind of busines did you have?

When do you get your Pooch?

Enjoy your week, Best wishes as always.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Do they have squirrels in the gardens in the UK? I can't remember.

(Strange question, I know, but I am just sitting here asking myself if I would miss anything from the U.S. Squirrels came to mind first.)
The squirrels here are fat and cuddly looking. And the pigeons are HUGE - they don't even look like pigeons. You are in for a treat.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ed you do speak the truth, and yes people do try to hide things well, Money is important as we need it to survive, but Happiness wins everytime.

I have to ask, what kind of busines did you have?

When do you get your Pooch?

Enjoy your week, Best wishes as always.
I owned my own Health Care Agency, started it with $250 in my account and at the end of the second year we were doing $1.2 million dollars of business. First mistake was taking on a partner second was getting involved with a financial advisor that was recommended by my brother.
Oh, well it was only money, she says with a angry look in her eye

Will be getting Wee Mac close to Christmas I think, he is growing and is already a month old, he is eating on his own and growling and bugging his brothers and sister. I will have time to stay home with him over the holidays and will be finding a dog walker to take him out once a day. They cost about £6, and I know that sounds like a lot, but the amount of joy he willbring me until my other guys get here, you just can't measure with money.

Today I am going horse back riding for an hour or two, it is lovely and sunny so looking forward to enjoying it. Hope Rod is settling in to his new life back in UK and that everyone else is doing well, bye for now
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL when I went to the loo in Sydney airport last week, the muzak was playing "let it snow" - I got on the transfer bus and the sweat was dripping off me!
Christmas is the only time of year I like to see the snow and then only about an inch so everything is white. Boxing Day, the snow can disappear
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the hands that bothers me, its the brain that is concentrating on the phone call sooner than the traffic around you, just because hands free is legal doesn't make it a smart thing to do.

Lets put it another way, If I ran into the back of a car with your grandkids inside while talking on a cell phone how would you feel then, these accidents happen a lot, they say a cell phone user hands free or otherwise is as dangerous as a drunken driver. Ive noticed some people now pull over to talk, why not.

I've been in a cell phone accident I know how it feels, I was parked on an off ramp in Birmingham UK when a guy in a BMW ran into the back of the car behind me, it did serious damage to that car, my car, a brand new Vauxhall rental was crushed front and rear, the force also bent the backs of the front seats, the two cars in front of me were also damaged, there was blood, injury and crying, but no deaths, the BMW Driver was on his cell phone when he hit us.

Texting is bad but recently I've seen a few people using laptops while driving 55 mph, how could these people live with themselves if they ran into or hurt someone, its just crazy, the laptops are in cradles facing them, Huhhhhhhh.
I signed Oprah's "No phone calls or texting while driving" and I intend sticking with it. I've never sent a text message in my life, so that part is very easy to keep! I'm not one for the latest technology. I still have a VCR - it works and I use it!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Trotty, you just never know.

I totally understand the Christmas thing, its over in a day here and in the UK it goes on till New Years for some, a real Holiday, For many years I worked boxing day here so that didn't help.

Christmas in the UK was always Lovely, Noel Edmunds on TV.

I seem to remember they started selling holidays at Christmas in the UK.

Anyone remember Cliff Michelmore, he did a Holiday show for years, Ahhhhhhh Memories.
I used to love the Morecombe & Wise Christmas Show. Remember them? I always remember the show where Angela Rippon (newscaster) danced on their show. She was good too!! They were very funny - I liked Ronnie Corbett also. I'm not much for American television - there are only a few things I watch. I like the British shows on PBS and I can rent anything from Netflix.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Windsong.

I do understand where you are coming from.

I can see you are so out of touch with the UK, many of us have a good idea but I'm sure all of us will have plenty to learn once we return, Many of us are stuck in the past and I'm one of them, we yearn for the good old days, and lucky for us some of those wants are still available once we get back, even if its just a walk down the street.

It amazes me when you have no clue about Wilkinson's and Asda, that's not a knock on you, it just makes me realize that you really did cut yourself off from the UK, I've never done that, I've always wanted to go back and always tried to stay on top of info from the UK, I still bring newspapers and magazines back with me, I save them for reference (just in case) these days the internet has certainly kept me close.

You really do need to look at most web sites and stores that people mention on this thread, then you will see what's going on over there, it may even excite you as it does many of us, Most UK websites finish with either .co.uk or .com so add that to any thing you see on here or google it.
Google Currys and Comet for electrical goods.
Wilkinsons or Wilkos as most people call it is a decent cheap store, you can get all sorts of things there, its much like an Old Woolworths but not exactly.
Asda is a supermarket, (Associated Daries) Wal-mart bought them out some years ago, some of the things you see in Walmart are in Asda especially the Chinese made items, same Walmart brands in some cases. Charlie Etc...
Even the yellow smiley face.

You seem concerned about furniture, go to the sites Don and I gave you a week ago.

We all have fears, None of us know what is going to happen to us over in the UK or here for that matter, we all have plans, but Life is full of uncertainty, you like most of us are trying to figure this out, Will I be able to afford this and that, can I make ends meet etc, you have a certain life you have been accustomed too, you have expectations, we all do.

You say you have no friends or family over there so there is no one to judge you unlike some of us, Of course you can be disappointed in yourself, but what good does that do, Life is full of ups and downs you just have to try your best, what more can you ask of yourself?.

Only you knows your wants needs and limits, from what I've learned about you over the past few weeks I'm very sure you are in much better shape than 90% of us, Id love to be receiving the benefits you expect, I'm not being nasty, I'm really not, its a very decent amount of money.

The exchange rate changes all the time, we will just have to deal with it, its just going to be part of our future life, Take the last 30 years, the rate has been between $1 to $2 to a £1, so that's gives you an Idea what to expect if things continue as they have, of course there are no guarantees but there never was, just take your retirement amount and look at both figures, see if it works for you, we are all in the same boat, its just that some of us will have more to take back than others.

Believe me we all worry about the exchange rate, its pointless worrying about things we cant change, my best advice when you get back is to be thrifty, live well within your means, save as much as possible for a rainy day, as time goes by you will adjust accordingly.
If you really want to worry you better hope the USA stays solvent and keeps paying SS payments to people like us, that concerns me but I wont worry about it.

I say be prepared to work past 65, that way if you have to it wont be such a big deal, I expect to work well past 65, If I can afford to retire I will, it all depends on the unknown future, health, work, money etc.

Many of us have wants and needs too, we are just like you wondering what will happen, I'm already ten years late in my projected return, No kidding, I feel so far behind already, I just have to live with it and know my day will come, I'm not giving up.

You are not the only one to loose money on this economy, My savings of 20 years are less then half of what they were because I need that money to live at the moment, this bad economy has stolen from many of us, some poor souls have lost everything, not just here but in the UK.

Bag Lady, hahahaha I don't see many of those in the UK...

Just go for it like Ed has done, she could have given up many times but never did, she always comes back with a great positive attitude and that's what it takes. Gosh I wish I could learn from my words of wisdom.

I've always wanted to go back home and its always been my intentions, years ago I wanted to go back because I missed the England I love, Today I want to return because staying here looks too risky, just the cost of healthcare and the thought of going bankrupt like so many do, then there's the thought of life in a care facilty, I just can't do that, not in this Country, Id hate for my wife and I to go through that.
Thank you FnC. Your post is really encouraging to me.

Yes, I know my numbers look pretty good after I begin to receive social security but, do you know, when I say that to myself, it doesn't seem to get rid of my fears? I need to learn the "worth" of those figures and then perhaps I will feel better. Today I am going to look at some of the UK store websites to try to get a feel for the prices of things over there.

I think part of my problem is I do not have a permanent job here in the U.S. because of the unemployment issues in my state. When I do, I think I will feel a lot more positive because I can begin to work towards my goal of returning to the UK.

Another problem is I have no family over there and, because of this, I am completely out of touch with the cost of things there, what is going on over there - absolutely everything. Even though it is "home" to me, I have to reacquaint myself with life in the UK - almost entirely. This forum helps enormously with that.

Re the care facilities for the elderly, I need to look at that, too. I am sure, though, that whatever equivalent the UK has, they are a million times better than here in the USA. Being old in this country has always terrified me.

Yes, I am one who yearns for the good old days, too, and to some extent, you know, we will have them because we will be returning to our homeland )

I feel more positive today. I had three disappointments on Friday, one of which was a job, and it brought me down a bit. Dusted myself off and picked myself off, though )
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do have a question. When I return to the UK my income will be mainly social security and a small company pension, both from the U.S. I plan to return to the UK and work at least until 65 (and if the UK allows work beyond 65, I will do that, too). However, what happens if, for some reason I can only work for a year and have to stop at, say, 63 due to health issues. In the U.S. I believe I would get disability but what would happen if I am already back in the UK? Does working over there, even for just a year or two, give me any rights to UK assistance of any kind?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Be glad you aren't in New Jersey some of the ladies I know there pay $12,000 A YEAR and some of them much more.
Hmmmmm.

I do live in New Jersey; a very modest house with 3 bedrooms. Our housing tax is a shade under $14,000 per year! (and I don't have any kids in the school system!).

The problem is, in the US when you sell a house the realtors/estate agents want 6% commission....
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
The state pension is now £132 per week - whatever you get, plus you apply for Pension Credit if you need to, which is a separate top up scheme. This brings everyone's state pension to £132. If you get Pension Credit, you are then eligible for other social benefits. As soon as you are able to, look at the Age UK site on the internet - I know, I thought long and hard before going through the door, as I do not feel old. But this organisation is set up for people over 60, and that is most of us on this thread. And I met with a lovely woman, younger than me, who helped me through the muddle I was in. As I told her, I thought I was intelligent before I came to the UK, but I was having doubts now with all the benefits available here, and not knowing where to start. Start with Age UK, then go to the Pensions site, bookmark pages, send for your pensions application form, and get started as soon as you are able to. That means 4 months prior to your pensionable age, which here is 60. The overseas pensions forms look different to the UK forms, but they end up at the same place. And you will have a specific worker to email from overseas. Here they want you to phone them, as it is supposedly quicker. Whatever way you go, it takes about 8 weeks to process, as it involves looking into your UK pension + your overseas pension to see if you need topping up for credits from work time in the USA (or wherever you are located). I am in the waiting time now, and I wish I had done it the week I arrived, because then I would not be scared about using my savings for rent, instead of my pension. I have very limited funds as most of you know. But no one lives on the streets in the UK unless they want to, and though we may none of us end up with similar living circumstances as we did in the states, it is home. And there is endless help and assistance available - walk down any High Street in any small town, and you will find Social Services, doctor's offices we can use (for free!) and my now beloved Age UK (used to be Age Concern). Face it folks - we ain't 20 any longer...
Thank you, Island. Reading about the "endless help" in the UK was like a breath of fresh air to me - SO different from where I am now!

So are you saying I should work with Age UK even though I will not be getting a UK pension and will be relying on pension and social security from the USA? (Of course, after a few years of working in the UK, plus two years 30 years ago, I hope I can get even a teeny tiny pension from the UK.)

Interesting that retirement age in the UK is 60. Here in the US, I think the official age is either 62 or 65. Not sure which.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I owned my own Health Care Agency, started it with $250 in my account and at the end of the second year we were doing $1.2 million dollars of business. First mistake was taking on a partner second was getting involved with a financial advisor that was recommended by my brother.
Oh, well it was only money, she says with a angry look in her eye

Will be getting Wee Mac close to Christmas I think, he is growing and is already a month old, he is eating on his own and growling and bugging his brothers and sister. I will have time to stay home with him over the holidays and will be finding a dog walker to take him out once a day. They cost about £6, and I know that sounds like a lot, but the amount of joy he willbring me until my other guys get here, you just can't measure with money.

Today I am going horse back riding for an hour or two, it is lovely and sunny so looking forward to enjoying it. Hope Rod is settling in to his new life back in UK and that everyone else is doing well, bye for now
Ohh you are already back in the UK? How lovely!! That's wonderful news about getting a new dog. How long will it be until your other(s) arrive? Didn't they fly over with you?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
The squirrels here are fat and cuddly looking. And the pigeons are HUGE - they don't even look like pigeons. You are in for a treat.
Hee hee! I will love it - so long as I can put nuts out for them every day

I adore nature, wildlife, and my pets. They are the family I don't have in human form.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I used to love the Morecombe & Wise Christmas Show. Remember them? I always remember the show where Angela Rippon (newscaster) danced on their show. She was good too!! They were very funny - I liked Ronnie Corbett also. I'm not much for American television - there are only a few things I watch. I like the British shows on PBS and I can rent anything from Netflix.
I remember Morecombe and Wise Also, Harry Secombe. My grandmother adored Harry Secombe!

The only things I like on U.S. television are the HGTV channel - especially Househunters International. I taped every episode for about a year and that's when I realized I needed to begin to investigate returning to Britain. I a lso like Discovery and animal shows. CNN sometimes. Other than that, forget the soaps and the "not funny" comedy shows. I watch Coronation Street as often as I can find it. I recently disconnected my cable TV until I find a permanent job, so I am watching it on YouTube for the present. I can't wait to get back to British TV. I've heard it's not the quality it used to be but is still better than here. That leads me to ask, do you need cable TV over there?

Last edited by windsong; Dec 5th 2010 at 2:10 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Post Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Here's a treat for you on this Sunday morning

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulByromMusic

"If I Could Cry" by Paul Byrom - outstanding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.