Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I'm for sure taking mine although not sure how yet.
I am thinking if we take the QM2 and can take on all those extra bags, we can put them in there but I am just wondering how intensive any inspections may be. I don't think ashes are a health hazard so it should be okay.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I am here at the airport (busy working away ) lots of travellers heading home for Christmas and like TT I have always found this the hardest time of the year, it wasn't too bad when the grand-kids were little at least you could kind of get into the mood but these days it's bah humbug for me here in Australia...........so here I am with the Christmas Trees all lined up at the airport and Bing Crosby singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" whilst the sun beats down on the flags outside and I have the AC on..........

This really will be my last hot Christmas.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am thinking if we take the QM2 and can take on all those extra bags, we can put them in there but I am just wondering how intensive any inspections may be. I don't think ashes are a health hazard so it should be okay.
I feel sure that there is some regulation to cover animal remains but I haven't researched it yet.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im not a big fan of Semi's in either country, I just want to get past them or stay way behind, Size is all relative in my opinion.
You should try driving around the airport, with all the big semi's, articulated vehicles, buses and the 20' and 40' seafreight containers.....it's a bit scary sometimes in my tiny Toyota Corolla.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
To all who have wished me goodluck for tomorrow thankyou. Must admit I feel pretty lousy at the moment. Hot then cold. Didnt help I had to be outside putting up Christmas lights and decorations.
I dont know about the rest of you but Christmas is the hardest for me I have always been torn between my family here and my family back in the UK. Not only that it just so differrent. Even the tele is different in the Uk they do mention Christmas and they sing carols but here they seem only to celebrate the selling side of the season and calling it a holiday and a holiday tree. I watched as show on BBC the other day it was a cooking show and they said
I think we all have fears about going back home will it work or wont it. But till we try we will never find out.

Oh I do know what you mean, like say when it says ITV or BBC when you change channels there is a little robin or snow or something on the top of the letters and they seem to have more Christmassy type shows there like Christmas Specials......sigh........

TT you really have to download that free internet thingie that allows you to watch ITV and BBC player....I can't remember what it is called but it is EASY PEASY, it is only for the UK, so nothing to do but turn it on or off as you wish, when it's on I find I cannot surf so fast so I just use it for my TV programmes.

It does have a few annoying pop up ads, but hey it's FREE and you can watch your fave progs and pretend you are in the UK.............you know like I do LOL!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
I swiped this from another forum and thought some of you would like to read it

I am likely moving back to the states in 2011, and though I'm excited to go "home," there is a lot I'll miss. I've read every page, and I may be repeating some things, but here are mine.

The national obsession with toast for breakfast
Roundabouts
The Christmas Number One
Delicious, amazing, vegetarian food everywhere
You buy something online and it arrives the next morning, because the country's so small
Castles and towers
Indian food. Especially Sunday buffets.
There are no city blocks. The roads wind everywhere.
Long maternity leave
Small, fuel-efficient cars (it's not all about the biggest and newest here)
NCT groups and wonderful things for parents and kids
No one thinks twice about having a beer at lunch
Having tea with my elderly neighbors and listening to them talk about days in the RAF
Mail slots
English breakfasts
Dog love. You can take them off-leash anywhere and no one cares
Power showers and towel warmers
Just walking around and seeing things that have been around since before the USA was even a country
M&S
Box sandwiches
DVDs seem much cheaper here
Lovely parks nestled right in the middle of the city
Hedgehogs
The NHS
The Tube
Nandos
High streets
Even the conservatives here are fairly liberal by US standards
Meeting people from all over the world
The cars are all manual, and I feel like a race car driver
Buying all my socks at Primark
Gok Wan
British newspapers
Proximity to Europe. I've gone to Italy for a last-minute weekend trip before.
British sense of humor
Biscuits
My Boots rewards card
Cool accents
Everything seems more local in supermarkets
Amazing sparkling water (Highland Spring is my fave...it's so fizzy)
People aren't as competitive at work
Sweet popcorn and Pick N Mix at cinemas
Pubs, specifically Sunday Roasts

I'm sure there's loads more, but that's what I have off the top of my head.
Oooh these are all the things we have to look forward to, and more!!! Like a huge Christmas list all rolled into one.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Home owners pay it, I think it's what rates used to be, it covers the bin men and street lights etc etc. I don't know if renters pay it seperate or if the landlord would pay it, good question.

I think it's £50 for the two I'd have to check. but food is defiantly cheaper, she cooks from scratch except for biscuits and stuff like that. But rarely has prepared meats and eats lots of fresh veg. She eats very well, has a deep freezer and gets the bread when it's buy one get one free and shops that way for meat, sandwich meat, etc etc. Tesco and Adsa always have good sales, and she occasionally goes to Morrisons.
Oh she did tell me you can live very comfortably on £1000 a month with no or a small mortgage so long as you aren't vacationing three times a year and buying new cars every 5 years etc.
We've been living so cheaply here due to high prices I think it would be easy for us to continue to live that way in the UK.
I can't remember how much I used to spend on food in the UK, as I too used to stock up on the special offers then some weeks I didn't shop except for fresh veg. Yes the supermarkets do have GREAT specials on, 3 for the price of 2 and so on, I used to do that too with the bread.

And I was in SHOCK at the price of toiletries compared to here - at least half to a third of the price!! I don't know how many shower gels, bath foams and creams I brought back, it was one of those removal boxes for books and it was FULL!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Do they have squirrels in the gardens in the UK? I can't remember.

(Strange question, I know, but I am just sitting here asking myself if I would miss anything from the U.S. Squirrels came to mind first.)

I saw loads of grey squrrels, but no red squirrels. They come into my mums back garden and eat the nuts she puts out for the birds, funny things they are and very agile.....
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:30 am
Home Sweet Home

If I buy a car over there, I will keep it until it falls apart. Hopefully, long over five years.

I won't be vacationing three times a year but if I could squeeze in one two-week vacation in the summer and a one-week vacation in the winter to Spain or somewhere like that, I will be happy. Maybe even just one vacation and a few weekend trips in the UK.

I just wonder if I can get a small mortgage. I hope so. I should have the income to pay it, it seems. How much is a small mortgage payment, I wonder.
I will be having all my holidays in England until I am fed up of no sun. I want to see all those places I was going to this year, just a short delay then......
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:33 am
Home Sweet Home

I wonder if I could take back to the UK the ashes of my deceased pets. I still have them. Do you think that would be allowed?
Yes of course, you would just have to declare them, the same as when people take human ashes.

Just found this on a google search:

"Forgot to say make sure you have a copy of your certificate of cremation with you if you are bringing them as hand luggage or attached to the container/box if they are coming with your house hold items."

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 5th 2010 at 4:46 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I will be having all my holidays in England until I am fed up of no sun. I want to see all those places I was going to this year, just a short delay then......
You know, that is going to be a big adjustment - the weather! I love the summers in the midwest USA.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes of course, you would just have to declare them, the same as when people take human ashes.

Just found this on a google search:

"Forgot to say make sure you have a copy of your certificate of cremation with you if you are bringing them as hand luggage or attached to the container/box if they are coming with your house hold items."
I don't believe my pets ashes came with certificates of cremation. Unless they are in the boxes themselves. (My pets ashes are still in the cardboard mailing cartons. I only opened one of them and there was no certificate that I could see).
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:11 am
Home Sweet Home

I don't believe my pets ashes came with certificates of cremation. Unless they are in the boxes themselves. (My pets ashes are still in the cardboard mailing cartons. I only opened one of them and there was no certificate that I could see).
That was from another forum. Doesn't look like anybody on the BE forum bothered with paperwork:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465182
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

That was from another forum. Doesn't look like anybody on the BE forum bothered with paperwork:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465182
Thank you. I am going to save this thread as well )
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am here at the airport (busy working away ) lots of travellers heading home for Christmas and like TT I have always found this the hardest time of the year, it wasn't too bad when the grand-kids were little at least you could kind of get into the mood but these days it's bah humbug for me here in Australia...........so here I am with the Christmas Trees all lined up at the airport and Bing Crosby singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" whilst the sun beats down on the flags outside and I have the AC on..........

This really will be my last hot Christmas.
LOL when I went to the loo in Sydney airport last week, the muzak was playing "let it snow" - I got on the transfer bus and the sweat was dripping off me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.