Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Windsong, they may be baned but some people in the UK still use them, banned here in Oregon too and still people use them every day, Terrible drivers, little respect for other peoples lives.

I hate Cellphone use in cars and texting, people need to get a life, Cellphones cause many accidents, sorry I meant to say the people that use them cause more accidents, I could write a book about this subject so I will stop here.
I have bluetooth and so I never touch the phone. Verbal commands. I cannot imagine texting and driving at the same time and I text all the time with my family in the UK but outside of my car.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I will certainly miss the dear little squirrels and chipmunks. I love them.

I hope the snow stays in Ohio and doesn't head north lol!
You don't have any snow? You lucked out - we are getting the storm that hit Chicago yesterday!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
You don't have any snow? You lucked out - we are getting the storm that hit Chicago yesterday!
Not a scrap. I did see about six flurries this evening (and I mean SIX lol!) But if you are getting it, tomorrow morning may look quite different here.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I think the squirrels are only in the parks - not in yards/gardens - and they are the grey squirrels - nowhere near as cute as the red squirrels in the Northern US/Midwest (same grey as in the SE states here). I don't think they have chipmunks there - they are native to North America (I think). My cat likes to look out the window and watch the squirrels and chipmunks - tonight she is watching the snow!! We are supposed to get a lot of it between now and Tuesday. They are quite good at clearing the roads here - they've had a lot of practice as it snows a lot here (Lake effect from Lake Erie).
We have a huge population of red squirrels here in the Dallas area. I have currently a couple of nests in the trees in my backyard. They are very destructive and have already shredded our patio furniture cushions when we were in Australia and took the stuffing to help with their nests. They drive my chihuahuas mad who try to climb an eight foot wooden fence to get at them! However the biggest problem now I have is with the red tail hawks who are now preying on the squirrels and the dogs. I cannot let my dogs outside alone anymore. Even with me outside they will swoop down so low that I can feel the wind beneath their wings (great song but very frightening). We live close to the city, gated community with an 18 hole golf course near busy freeways. Humans have encroached on their territory and this is the result.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
We have a huge population of red squirrels here in the Dallas area. I have currently a couple of nests in the trees in my backyard. They are very destructive and have already shredded our patio furniture cushions when we were in Australia and took the stuffing to help with their nests. They drive my chihuahuas mad who try to climb an eight foot wooden fence to get at them! However the biggest problem now I have is with the red tail hawks who are now preying on the squirrels and the dogs. I cannot let my dogs outside alone anymore. Even with me outside they will swoop down so low that I can feel the wind beneath their wings (great song but very frightening). We live close to the city, gated community with an 18 hole golf course near busy freeways. Humans have encroached on their territory and this is the result.
Shame that animals should suffer because humans took their territory. The humans need to move. (I am a devout wildlife/pet lover and one of my very "pet" peeves is how much animals have suffered at the hands of man!) Too many people in this world unfortunately.

Why not leave out "old" cushions for them to destroy. Then, they might leave the good ones alone.

It's okay. I know I walk to the beat of a different drum when it comes to animals and it's perfectly fine with me.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I wonder if I could take back to the UK the ashes of my deceased pets. I still have them. Do you think that would be allowed?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Shame that animals should suffer because humans took their territory. The humans need to move. (I am a devout wildlife/pet lover and one of my very "pet" peeves is how much animals have suffered at the hands of man!) Too many people in this world unfortunately.

Why not leave out "old" cushions for them to destroy. Then, they might leave the good ones alone.

It's okay. I know I walk to the beat of a different drum when it comes to animals and it's perfectly fine with me.
It's fine with me also....the backyard looked like a snowstorm! I agree, I think we are so out of order with our wild life neighbors. Our community started about 25 years ago and there is much more expansion in all directions. We have problems with coyotes, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, hawks etc.,
When I told my next door neighbor about the hawk staring me straight in the eye obviously fearless with me holding a 4 lb dog in each arm he told me his pug had a deep puncture wound on his back the previous week.
So we worry about our pets and at the same time feel sad for the hawks that have to resort to killing pets as their means of food.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Home owners pay it, I think it's what rates used to be, it covers the bin men and street lights etc etc. I don't know if renters pay it seperate or if the landlord would pay it, good question.

If you are looking at renting you will need to factor the Council Tax into your budget. I believe it is about 100 pounds per month (25% discount if a single person) I am not 100% if that is per household???

It is worked out in bands depending on where you live and the value of the property you live in (??), Band A - E or something?

Even when I had that live in job in Somerset, although I had a rent/water rates free flat I still had to pay council tax. I never did get my head around it, as when I last lived in the UK in 1987 it didn't exist but I do remember seeing the news on TV of British pensioners protesting and demonstrating about the introduction of council tax, some where threatened with prison, etc. .................I don't know what year this was though......

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 5th 2010 at 3:38 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I wonder if I could take back to the UK the ashes of my deceased pets. I still have them. Do you think that would be allowed?
I'm for sure taking mine although not sure how yet.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
If you are looking at renting you will need to factor the Council Tax into your budget. I believe it is about 100 pounds per month (25% discount if a single person) I am not 100% if that is per household???

It is worked out in bands depending on where you live and the value of the property you live in (??), Band A - E or something?

Even when I had that live in job in Somerset, although I had a rent/water rates free flat I still had to pay council tax. I never did get my head around it, as when I last lived in the UK in 1987 it didn't exist but I do remember seeing the news on TV of British pensioners protesting and demonstrating about the introduction of council tax, some where threatened with prison, etc. .................I don't know what year this was though......
So what does the council tax cover?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! I cook from scratch, too, so her estimate is close to what mine probably would be.

Do you have any idea what pet food costs over there? I feed my dogs top quality wet and dry. I don't know if they have private pet stores that sell top quality pet food like they do in the U.S.
She doesn't have any pets, but when the neighbors cat fancies it, she comes in and lies about on Mums knee and get attention away from the neighbor kids
But if you check www.tesco.com I bet you can look at what is available in the grocery store,
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

[/B]I believe it is the same as property tax here in the US. I'm not sure if it varies where you live. I know that my sister (in Scotland) and friends of mine (in Cheshire) pay much less than I do here in Ohio. Ohio is one of the highest taxed states in the US. I pay almost $5,000 property tax a year and I only live in a condo!
Be glad you aren't in New Jersey some of the ladies I know there pay $12,000 A YEAR and some of them much more.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

So what does the council tax cover?
http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/ctax_annu..._faq_25176.htm
The Council Tax covers such services as refuse collection, highways, street cleaning, leisure centres, park & recreation grounds, planning & building control, environmental health, education, social services, libraries, licensing. The leaflet sent with the Annual bill gives details of spending plans

I went to look as I wasn't sure.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

It's fine with me also....the backyard looked like a snowstorm! I agree, I think we are so out of order with our wild life neighbors. Our community started about 25 years ago and there is much more expansion in all directions. We have problems with coyotes, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, hawks etc.,
When I told my next door neighbor about the hawk staring me straight in the eye obviously fearless with me holding a 4 lb dog in each arm he told me his pug had a deep puncture wound on his back the previous week.
So we worry about our pets and at the same time feel sad for the hawks that have to resort to killing pets as their means of food.
I understand completely.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
She doesn't have any pets, but when the neighbors cat fancies it, she comes in and lies about on Mums knee and get attention away from the neighbor kids
But if you check www.tesco.com I bet you can look at what is available in the grocery store,
Good for kitty lol!

That's an idea - I will go and look at Tesco's site. I wasn't sure if they would have prices but I will find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.