Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Windsong.

I inherited my Dads 94 Camry when he passed away last year, its a wonderful car with almost 98000 on the clock, I've taken care if it since we bought it, it was a low mileage demo, always serviced it at the local Toyota where we bought it, we had looked at Rav4's and was about to buy one when my Dad passed away, the Camry sits in the garage of my parents unsold home, I take it out for a run every so often.

The Rav4 and CRV are called the same in the UK, both have diesel engines instead of petrol, The British Rav4 is better looking to me, new cuter front end.

My Brother in law is on his second CRV after I recommended him to buy the first one, he loves them.
98,000 miles? Wonderful! Mine is a '96 with 178,000 miles. Its the only way I have been able to survive this terrible economy - no car payments. I may have to change it shortly, though. It's eating oil. However, I will not do that until I absolutely have to. And if it lasts until I am 62, all the better (but I am sure it won't).

How much is the RAV4 in Britain - say a 2-year old one.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
But what happens if I go back to the UK at 62 but don't claim my U.S. pension until 65 (which means I don't work for the last three years according to the U.S.), will I get the $1578 or the $2151?

Also, this statement is 2009. My income dropped drastically this year and if it stays this way until 62, then I bet that will reduce my amount.
you will get the 2151.00 thats what you have already earned..you just get penalized for taking it at 62 is all, alot of people retire and wait till they are older so they can get the bigger amount, if they dont need it straight away.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

It's dreadful, isn't it! I am so glad the UK banned driving and using cell phones at the same time (phoning or texting).
Windsong, they may be baned but some people in the UK still use them, banned here in Oregon too and still people use them every day, Terrible drivers, little respect for other peoples lives.

I hate Cellphone use in cars and texting, people need to get a life, Cellphones cause many accidents, sorry I meant to say the people that use them cause more accidents, I could write a book about this subject so I will stop here.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I will post some other car share clubs.

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/
http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/locations

yep- http://www.whizzgo.co.uk

http://www.streetcar.co.uk/pricing-1...streetcar.aspx
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
you will get the 2151.00 thats what you have already earned..you just get penalized for taking it at 62 is all, alot of people retire and wait till they are older so they can get the bigger amount, if they dont need it straight away.
Oh I see. Now I understand. I wonder which will be better for me to do - take at 62 or 65. I'd like to take it at 62, especially if I am moving to the UK then. It will be my safety blanket because I plan to work from 62-65 in the UK. My thinking is perhaps I can bank , say, 90% of my earnings and put towards buying a small home - but then I won't be able to get a small mortgage. I don't know what to do.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Mummy,
Could you please explain council tax? Is that for homeowners and/or renters and who pays rates?
Home owners pay it, I think it's what rates used to be, it covers the bin men and street lights etc etc. I don't know if renters pay it seperate or if the landlord would pay it, good question.
Is that 50 pounds for EACH utility (gas and electric)? That's not much for food at all, based on U.S. costs. I know it is said that older people eat less but even so, that's really good.

That seems to be the key - owning your own home. It frees up a ton of money.

What is council tax? Thirty years ago when I lived in Scotland with my parents, I had never heard of it.
I think it's £50 for the two I'd have to check. but food is defiantly cheaper, she cooks from scratch except for biscuits and stuff like that. But rarely has prepared meats and eats lots of fresh veg. She eats very well, has a deep freezer and gets the bread when it's buy one get one free and shops that way for meat, sandwich meat, etc etc. Tesco and Adsa always have good sales, and she occasionally goes to Morrisons.
Oh she did tell me you can live very comfortably on £1000 a month with no or a small mortgage so long as you aren't vacationing three times a year and buying new cars every 5 years etc.
We've been living so cheaply here due to high prices I think it would be easy for us to continue to live that way in the UK.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Dec 5th 2010 at 2:07 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Home owners pay it, I think it's what rates used to be, it covers the bin men and street lights etc etc. I don't know if renters pay it seperate or if the landlord would pay it, good question.

I think it's £50 for the two I'd have to check. but food is defiantly cheaper, she cooks from scratch except for biscuits and stuff like that. But rarely has prepared meats and eats lots of fresh veg. She eats very well, has a deep freezer and gets the bread when it's buy one get one free and shops that way for meat, sandwich meat, etc etc. Tesco and Adsa always have good sales, and she occasionally goes to Morrisons.
WOW! I cook from scratch, too, so her estimate is close to what mine probably would be.

Do you have any idea what pet food costs over there? I feed my dogs top quality wet and dry. I don't know if they have private pet stores that sell top quality pet food like they do in the U.S.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Do they have squirrels in the gardens in the UK? I can't remember.

(Strange question, I know, but I am just sitting here asking myself if I would miss anything from the U.S. Squirrels came to mind first.)

Last edited by windsong; Dec 5th 2010 at 2:09 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Is that 50 pounds for EACH utility (gas and electric)? That's not much for food at all, based on U.S. costs. I know it is said that older people eat less but even so, that's really good.

That seems to be the key - owning your own home. It frees up a ton of money.

What is council tax? Thirty years ago when I lived in Scotland with my parents, I had never heard of it.
I believe it is the same as property tax here in the US. I'm not sure if it varies where you live. I know that my sister (in Scotland) and friends of mine (in Cheshire) pay much less than I do here in Ohio. Ohio is one of the highest taxed states in the US. I pay almost $5,000 property tax a year and I only live in a condo!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

But what happens if I go back to the UK at 62 but don't claim my U.S. pension until 65 (which means I don't work for the last three years according to the U.S.), will I get the $1578 or the $2151?

Also, this statement is 2009. My income dropped drastically this year and if it stays this way until 62, then I bet that will reduce my amount.
I don't think it works that way - check your statement. You are probably "paid up".
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I love Honda - but the Honda Element is one ugly looking car!
No Big loss, its not a favorite of mine either, too utility, rubber floor mats etc, you sit low in it and funky doors, the plus was 4wd and the Accord motor, they drive nice but still it doesn't appeal to me.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Oh she did tell me you can live very comfortably on £1000 a month with no or a small mortgage so long as you aren't vacationing three times a year and buying new cars every 5 years etc.
We've been living so cheaply here due to high prices I think it would be easy for us to continue to live that way in the UK.
If I buy a car over there, I will keep it until it falls apart. Hopefully, long over five years.

I won't be vacationing three times a year but if I could squeeze in one two-week vacation in the summer and a one-week vacation in the winter to Spain or somewhere like that, I will be happy. Maybe even just one vacation and a few weekend trips in the UK.

I just wonder if I can get a small mortgage. I hope so. I should have the income to pay it, it seems. How much is a small mortgage payment, I wonder.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think it works that way - check your statement. You are probably "paid up".
Yes, it says I have earned enough credits to qualify for benefits - and I am only 58. Weird!

It's based on my earning 70K a year until 62, though. Heavens, in this economy - no way! I don't even have a permanent job at the moment, so I bet my figures for SS go way down by 62.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Do they have squirrels in the gardens in the UK? I can't remember.

(Strange question, I know, but I am just sitting here asking myself if I would miss anything from the U.S. Squirrels came to mind first.)
I think the squirrels are only in the parks - not in yards/gardens - and they are the grey squirrels - nowhere near as cute as the red squirrels in the Northern US/Midwest (same grey as in the SE states here). I don't think they have chipmunks there - they are native to North America (I think). My cat likes to look out the window and watch the squirrels and chipmunks - tonight she is watching the snow!! We are supposed to get a lot of it between now and Tuesday. They are quite good at clearing the roads here - they've had a lot of practice as it snows a lot here (Lake effect from Lake Erie).

Last edited by Derrygal; Dec 5th 2010 at 2:23 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the squirrels are only in the parks - not in yards/gardens - and they are the grey squirrels - nowhere near as cute as the red squirrels in the Northern US/Midwest (same grey as in the SE states here). I don't think they have chipmunks there - they are native to North American (I think). My cat likes to look out the window and watch the squirrels and chipmunks - tonight she is watching the snow!! We are supposed to get a lot of it between now and Tuesday. They are quite good at clearing the roads here - they've had a lot of practice as it snows a lot here (Lake effect from Lake Erie).
I will certainly miss the dear little squirrels and chipmunks. I love them.

I hope the snow stays in Ohio and doesn't head north lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.