Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi Again,
hit a snag re us returning to the UK in 2 weeks .We need to hire a car a couple of days after we arrive but when I look at the car rental companies in the town we are staying in the uk they need a credit card ,we do not have one in the USA as we gave it up a year ago and although we have a bank account in the UK we do not have a debit or credit card and it would probably take too long to get a card processed before we need the vehicle .Any ideas please .
What about one of those debit cards you can get at the cashout in the grocery stores? They are fairly new but it's a good idea. I think you pay so much money to get one and the amount you pay is the amount available - less a small fee probably.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I understand completely, Idy. I wish I had a relative or two over there just in case I got in a bind.

I think perhaps it's very early days for me yet. I need to learn more about how the UK is today so I know what I am going to, especially when it comes to housing. Once I begin collecting social security and my pension. I do plan to work over there until 65 but the SS and pension will be nice "security".

Someone told me the British pensioners only get about 40 pounds a week. However do they survive on that, especially with the price of housing???
I will get SS also, but I have a few years to go until then, so hopefully i will be able to get a job..even though at my age I do worry about that too. What ever happens, either way I am going to have to start over..so as I said, my choice is there.
You may not have family Wind, but you will have a lot of friends now from this site..
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Are you aware that grocery delivery is a big think in the UK? All the supermarkets do it and in some towns they run a shuttle bus.
On the car thing. You can use Zip car or similar. You book it and just go and pick it up at its parked place. You can pay by the hour or day.
I had no idea they had shuttles and delivery. That is terrific!

What exactly is a Zip car? Is it just like a Hertz car rental in the U.S. Are they expensive?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
None of us can turn back the clock...........we have all (most) of us made bad financial decisions of one kind or another.........let's face it if we had a million £££££££££ in the bank we wouldn't be on here endlessly talking about it, we would be on the next plane out or the QM2 and on our way and setting ourselves up in a nice cosy cottage in the Cotswolds...........but we don't so we have to do the best we can.

As you have no family over there then the only person you are losing face with because you haven't "made" it in the USA is yourself..........so you either stay where you are because it is easier to stay stuck in lots of ways, or you feel the fear and do it anyway!!

I do feel a big block to a lot of people going back home is they don't want to answer questions of family and friends - that they feel like a failure or a loser, and I know for sure that is what kept me here when we first emigrated........BIG mistake number one!!!

Nothing could be further from the truth, we who go home with very little are not failures - at least we had the courage to try it and it didn't work, so what?

We just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and start all over again, I feel a song coming on.
Amen Bee,

I am a little humiliated about coming home with my tail between my legs, but no one can judge me unless they have walked in my shoes..
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I will get SS also, but I have a few years to go until then, so hopefully i will be able to get a job..even though at my age I do worry about that too. What ever happens, either way I am going to have to start over..so as I said, my choice is there.
You may not have family Wind, but you will have a lot of friends now from this site..
Yes, that's very true, Idy. I won't be alone. There will be lots of support. I must remember that
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers - No, I had no idea about that at all. That is wonderful!! Even the shuttle bus is terrific!

What is a Zip car. Is it like Hertz rentals - renting a car? Is it expensive?
See the things you find out on this forum?

Read all about it.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq...UTF-8&q=zipcar

http://www.zipcar.com/london/check-rates
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

None of us can turn back the clock...........we have all (most) of us made bad financial decisions of one kind or another.........let's face it if we had a million £££££££££ in the bank we wouldn't be on here endlessly talking about it, we would be on the next plane out or the QM2 and on our way and setting ourselves up in a nice cosy cottage in the Cotswolds...........but we don't so we have to do the best we can.

As you have no family over there then the only person you are losing face with because you haven't "made" it in the USA is yourself..........so you either stay where you are because it is easier to stay stuck in lots of ways, or you feel the fear and do it anyway!!

I do feel a big block to a lot of people going back home is they don't want to answer questions of family and friends - that they feel like a failure or a loser, and I know for sure that is what kept me here when we first emigrated........BIG mistake number one!!!

Nothing could be further from the truth, we who go home with very little are not failures - at least we had the courage to try it and it didn't work, so what?

We just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and start all over again, I feel a song coming on.
That's exactly what it is, Bee - feeling a failure - at least today. I think having a permanent job would perk me up no end.

Also, I don't think it would be too wise of me to go back until I begin receiving social security at 62 but I may be wrong on this one. I am looking at social security as a cushion. If I don't have it when I first go back and I should happen to be unemployed or lose a job, oh my! I wouldn't be able to pay rent and would be out on the street. Not too much different from here.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
See the things you find out on this forum?

Read all about it.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq...UTF-8&q=zipcar

http://www.zipcar.com/london/check-rates
WOW, they sound terrific! I could get by using one of these for a while on a weekend until I buy my own. Maybe I won't buy my own. I dont know yet. I need to find out how much it costs to have a car in the UK. Aside from petrol, I mean. I don't know how much insurance is and whatever other costs are involved.

Thanks, Cheers. I am going to keep these links.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Amen Bee,

I am a little humiliated about coming home with my tail between my legs, but no one can judge me unless they have walked in my shoes..
Oh me too Jackie believe me!! My family are good though I have to say as I told them my "story" last year and they told me I was crazy to come back here to a lifetime of unhappiness and of course as you all know my guilt about my kids/grand-kids over rode everything else.........

And you know your family are probably just glad to have you back now you are on the mend and are more concerned about your health than mere money and possesions, and half of these thoughts and feelings of what other people think of us are in our own heads anyway!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I understand completely, Idy. I wish I had a relative or two over there just in case I got in a bind.

I think perhaps it's very early days for me yet. I need to learn more about how the UK is today so I know what I am going to, especially when it comes to housing. Once I begin collecting social security and my pension. I do plan to work over there until 65 but the SS and pension will be nice "security".

Someone told me the British pensioners only get about 40 pounds a week. However do they survive on that, especially with the price of housing???
It's not £40 a week it's more like £90 and some change. That the state pension my Mum gets. Plus private pensions she's doing really well, more than enough to visit us in the US twice a year and my sister in Spain annually too.

Dh and I aren't eligible to collect US pension till 67 from what I can see, that seems a bit off I thought it was 65.
Rents seem pretty high some areas but if you look about you can find nice places for less through the estate agents and the local paper.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what it is, Bee - feeling a failure - at least today. I think having a permanent job would perk me up no end.

Also, I don't think it would be too wise of me to go back until I begin receiving social security at 62 but I may be wrong on this one. I am looking at social security as a cushion. If I don't have it when I first go back and I should happen to be unemployed or lose a job, oh my! I wouldn't be able to pay rent and would be out on the street. Not too much different from here.
I hear you, I'm not too sure if I would be so brave if I had no family over there.........
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's not £40 a week it's more like £90 and some change. That the state pension my Mum gets. Plus private pensions she's doing really well, more than enough to visit us in the US twice a year and my sister in Spain annually too.

Dh and I aren't eligible to collect US pension till 67 from what I can see, that seems a bit off I thought it was 65.
Rents seem pretty high some areas but if you look about you can find nice places for less through the estate agents and the local paper.
Yes my mother seems to have more holidays than anybody else in the family even the ones that work full time!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh me too Jackie believe me!! My family are good though I have to say as I told them my "story" last year and they told me I was crazy to come back here to a lifetime of unhappiness and of course as you all know my guilt about my kids/grand-kids over rode everything else.........

And you know your family are probably just glad to have you back now you are on the mend and are more concerned about your health than mere money and possesions, and half of these thoughts and feelings of what other people think of us are in our own heads anyway!!
My Mom has wanted me to come home since my divorce, but I wasnt ready then...I had something to prove to myself. I am a survivor, but some things are just to overwhelming to go though alone..and this one got the better of me I am afraid....I dont want to be Elenor Rigby..
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Still, that's only 360 pounds a month. Most rents are around 600 pounds a month. Does she own her own home outright? Even so, though, I thought a week's groceries was around 60 pounds. And what about utilities? I still don't know how she does. I need to learn more about what things cost over there, I think.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Still, that's only 360 pounds a month. Most rents are around 600 pounds a month. Does she own her own home outright? Even so, though, I thought a week's groceries was around 60 pounds. And what about utilities? I still don't know how she does. I need to learn more about what things cost over there, I think.
I know my parents pay electricity every 2-3 months..its not monthly like here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.