Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
This is a webcam of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/camera.cfm?camera=1
WOO HOO! Love it!!!

I've been playing YouTube videos of the Edinburgh military tattoo because I get so homesick! This is wonderful!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh no! I'm on a new laptop and have lost all the links and comments I'd listed for Wintersong grrrrr!

Most of them do online ordering and home deliveries too! The largest supermarkets also tend to have in-store cafes and petrol (gas stations), sell clothes (I like the F&F range in Tesco), electrical appliances etc.

Much more variety than the rubbish US supermarkets (well, certainly where I'm located in New Jersey (New York metro area).

OMG I've just spotted the Christmas choc selection boxes and stockings!

http://www.tesco.com

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/index.jsp

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/

http://www.asda.com/index_2.html

http://www.waitrose.com/index.aspx

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/

There are some Costco stores in the UK too (and you can use a US card there)

http://www.costco.co.uk

Rubbish US supermarkets is right! And the bakery goods are disgusting!

I had forgotten about most of them having cafes inside. I can't WAIT to get back there

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a testimonial from a forum I'm on. The forum members are mostly Americans who have moved to the UK. A side note, it is getting very difficult to move into the UK now for Americans.
Quote:
My life in the US was definitely not easy, and much less easy than my life in the UK. I must have had a far different experience than a lot of you, because for me, living in the US meant constant worry about making ends meet (teachers don't get paid much no matter where they live), paying bills, getting sick (no insurance so no medical treatment), transport (no car), yet having to drive everywhere because the distances were unwalkable, plus people treated you like a freak if you walked anywhere, pressure to achieve, judgement if you were not ambitious, pressure to justify your expensive education by getting a high paying job, judgement if you didn't make much money, etc etc etc. I find the UK far easier in all respects, and even though I don't earn very much, proportionally I'm making as much as I could expect at a similar job in the US, only here it's more fulfilling and more dependable. I can't even begin to gauge how much better and happier I feel here than I ever did there.

Although I have to say that of all the places I've lived, Japan was by far the easiest from a financial standpoint, in terms of income versus cost of living, plus it's safe, clean, organised, convenient, and also historical and interesting. It's like the best of the UK and the best of the US together. On the other hand, the language and the culture are both extremely difficult to penetrate, so in that respect it wasn't easy at all. Still, if for some reason I ever had to leave the UK, I wouldn't go back to the US, I'd go back to Japan.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Rubbish US supermarkets is right! And the bakery goods are disgusting!

I had forgotten about most of them having cafes inside. I can't WAIT to get back there

Thank you so much!
Windsong,

I am happy that you are enjoying this thread..I told you they are all wonderful people..
Happy Thanksgiving
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here is a testimonial from a forum I'm on. The forum members are mostly Americans who have moved to the UK. A side note, it is getting very difficult to move into the UK now for Americans.
Quote:
My life in the US was definitely not easy, and much less easy than my life in the UK. I must have had a far different experience than a lot of you, because for me, living in the US meant constant worry about making ends meet (teachers don't get paid much no matter where they live), paying bills, getting sick (no insurance so no medical treatment), transport (no car), yet having to drive everywhere because the distances were unwalkable, plus people treated you like a freak if you walked anywhere, pressure to achieve, judgement if you were not ambitious, pressure to justify your expensive education by getting a high paying job, judgement if you didn't make much money, etc etc etc. I find the UK far easier in all respects, and even though I don't earn very much, proportionally I'm making as much as I could expect at a similar job in the US, only here it's more fulfilling and more dependable. I can't even begin to gauge how much better and happier I feel here than I ever did there.

Although I have to say that of all the places I've lived, Japan was by far the easiest from a financial standpoint, in terms of income versus cost of living, plus it's safe, clean, organised, convenient, and also historical and interesting. It's like the best of the UK and the best of the US together. On the other hand, the language and the culture are both extremely difficult to penetrate, so in that respect it wasn't easy at all. Still, if for some reason I ever had to leave the UK, I wouldn't go back to the US, I'd go back to Japan.
Thank you so much for posting this. I can identify with EVERYTHING she says (except for Japan as I have never been there). The stress here is killing me!

When I earned a high pay and had a good lifestyle, it was okay. I never really cared for it here - the foundation/beliefs upon which it operates - but it was okay. When I was laid off after 16 years, things began to change. My job was very unique, having worked for a man who was blind - but a genius. I could not replace the job or the salary. At the same time, the economy began to slide, especially for those at the top earning levels. I made the wrong move with a relationship and these things together "cost me" big time! I have now eaten up all my savings and living day by day.

If you have money, life is tolerable. If you don't, no one cares. They treat old people who are poor disgracefully! My mother had a massive stroke 10 years ago in another state. After her insurance ran out, she could only stay on life support three months and then had to be taken off.

I would love to tell you what I think about my experiences - my feelings - but I don't want to offend anyone. What I am telling is fact and it can't be argued with.

Give me the UK ANY day of the week!

And angry at my mother for ever setting foot here - you bet!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,

You mention buying a house. Most of us on here think it is better to rent. In my case I don't want any repair expenses. You can rent a house for £600 and most of them except pets I think.
Count me out on thinking renting is better. I will be buying a house as soon as I can. First, I like being able to do up the place the way I like it, and second, I have no interest in being thrown out after a few years because the landlord decides to sell (that's happening to my brother right now in a flat he loves). I want my next move to be my last if possible, although I expect we'll have to rent for a year or so just to determine where we really want to be.

I think it will take a while to find a house that accepts pets. I browse the rental listings all the time and constantly see 'no pets' as a criteria. But I have wondered if it would be possible to negotiate with the landlord by offering to pay extra or putting down a bigger deposit.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Nov 25th 2010 at 4:35 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Count me out on thinking renting is better. I will be buying a house as soon as I can. First, I like being able to do up the place the way I like it, and second, I have no interest in being thrown out after a few years because the landlord decides to sell (that's happening to my brother right now in a flat he loves).
Those are my feelings about it, too, Sally. Of course, the prices of homes are astronomical over there. I will be luck to be able to afford one.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Windsong,

I am happy that you are enjoying this thread..I told you they are all wonderful people..
Happy Thanksgiving
Jackie
Jackie - This forum is my new home now lol! I feel so much firmer in my decision in even the 24 hours for which I have been a member. I am finding so many like-minded people here that I know I am not crazy to feel the way I do.

You see, for many years my mother always told me that I was nuts for wanting to go home and, as such, I grew to doubt my resolve. You see, she came here because she married an American and she didn't even investigate what the USA was all about; didn't even bother to learn what it stood for. I did and never liked what I found. Finding this forum is a blessing in disguise because I am finding people who miss the same things about the UK that I do, who feel the same way about going home. It is a blessing in disguise.

I firmly believe things happen for a reason and I believe I found this forum so I could make a firm decision myself to go home and also to find the support I need to make the actual move back to the UK. Life here is pure existence and always has been, if I am truthful. It's been one of accepting "this is just the way life is" rather than going after the life you want. Well, at 58, even though I am terrified, I am going to start planning the move to go back home. Even the thought of going home makes me cry. I miss it so much.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Jackie - This forum is my new home now lol! I feel so much firmer in my decision in even the 24 hours for which I have been a member. I am finding so many like-minded people here that I know I am not crazy to feel the way I do.

You see, for many years my mother always told me that I was nuts for wanting to go home and, as such, I grew to doubt my resolve. You see, she came here because she married an American and she didn't even investigate what the USA was all about; didn't even bother to learn what it stood for. I did and never liked what I found. Finding this forum is a blessing in disguise because I am finding people who miss the same things about the UK that I do, who feel the same way about going home. It is a blessing in disguise.

I firmly believe things happen for a reason and I believe I found this forum so I could make a firm decision myself to go home and also to find the support I need to make the actual move back to the UK. Life here is pure existence and always has been, if I am truthful. It's been one of accepting "this is just the way life is" rather than going after the life you want. Well, at 58, even though I am terrified, I am going to start planning the move to go back home. Even the thought of going home makes me cry. I miss it so much.
I understand exactly how you feel. When I first discovered this site I was still on the fence about my decision. I knew I wanted to go home, but deciding to do it for sure came after I was here for a few days. Now I have no doubts.
I am so glad you dont feel alone any longer...I also know how that feels.
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

On the cost of living in the UK. I write to a person on another forum and he thinks the UK is the pits and he wants to move to Canada. I think the US is his first choice but it is almost impossible to get a visa (thanks to John F. Kennedy I might ad) anyhow this person is a driven person and was born in the UK of Asian Indian parents. He owns property in the UK and he is looking for property in America. He is a nice enough person but he is totally materialistic and he should fit in well in America/Canada
I'm looking through my old mail to see if I can post some of his views.
He thinks that the streets of American are lined with gold!
He comes to Las Vegas about twice a year for trade shows. I think he is a yoppie.

Quote:

Far from it to start a public to and fro session - I just thought you may be interested in having a look from MSN Money this article about the overall best places in the world to live.

Remember, these comparisons are on the country level, and take into account all aspects of todays modern living. All countries have their specific good and bad points. It's systems and comparisons like these which can help provide a more balanced view overall when comparing.

You'll quickly note, that the USA is ranked in the top 10, so is Canada, which for me is my choice of destination when I move out of the UK. The UK languishes back in 25th place - I say 'languishes' becuase as a so called 'G8' country and trying to rub shoulders with the very best countries, we simply lag very very far behind.

Your post mentions specifics in terms of cost of seeing a healthcare professional - you must also remember that the NHS doesn't cover all aiments and treatments. If you are in the UK and entitled to NHS cover, it doesn't 'Automatically' mean that everything is covered - far from it. If you contract,or have a condition etc that ISN'T covered, you are then required to pay from your own pocket.

Lastly, whenever we do have these types of discussions on this forum, I have mentioned and posted up links to the very reputable financial websites and institutions from which I quote. I notice you don't do the same for when you put forward your opinion - could you please show me where you obtain your information ? I'd like to see that in written format and from a place that's reputable. It could mean that I've been looking in the wrong places and in fact costs of living, and standards of living are indeed at parity which you so claim. I could then alter my thinking.

As it stands though, what you're saying is unable to be backed up.

I'm not looking to deliberatley make a fuss, I'm genuinely interested in order that I can add to my knowledge and understanding, so that I can make a more rounded and informed choice of where to go when leaving the UK.

Last edited by cheers; Nov 25th 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

On the cost of living in the UK. I write to a person on another forum and he thinks the UK is the pits and he wants to move to Canada. I think the US is his first choice but it is almost impossible to get a visa (thanks to John F. Kennedy I might ad) anyhow this person is a driven person and was born in the UK of Asian Indian parents. He owns property in the UK and he is looking for property in America. He is a nice enough person but he is totally materialistic and he should fit in well in America/Canada
He comes to Las Vegas about twice a year for trade shows. I think he is a yoppie.
Thank you, Jackie. It's so nice to be around others who understand.

Cheers - yes, I think he will do very well here. He will be with others who are as materialistic and don't give a jot about their neighbor. He can have my spot here if he likes.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think the question of renting vs. buying a house in the UK depends a lot on your financial situation and stage of life.

Over a lifetime, renting probably makes little sense, in that monthly payments help to pay off a mortgage and you eventually are living in a capital asset which is worth over £100k (and could if needed be sold/downsized in order to raise money). Also, over a lifetime, your monthly payments effectively decrease because of inflation whereas rent keeps going up in line with inflation. Unless you remortgaged in order to finance the greedy consumerism that was promoted by the last government, you could be sitting in a house worth £300k, but with a mortgage of only £100k.

However, later-life returnees/retirees with little capital should not "buy" a house (I say "buy" because all you are really doing this late in life is taking on a huge loan from the bank in order to live in a house which, don't kid yourself, belongs to the BANK, not to you). Combine any financial emergency with a deflation in house value or a lull in the market and you could simply be living in a huge money pit with no "liquidity" (i.e., you are stuck in the house and stuck with the debt).

Sure, renting lacks some security, but it also gives a huge amount of flexibility in that you can decide to move somewhere else without the worry of having to sell a house.

Of course, if you are returning with loads of cash, it might make sense to buy and therefore live with no monthly outgoings (i.e., mortgage free or low mortgage), but you are still stuck with problems if you want to move and can't sell the house.

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 25th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Far from it to start a public to and fro session - I just thought you may be interested in having a look from MSN Money this article about the overall best places in the world to live.

Remember, these comparisons are on the country level, and take into account all aspects of todays modern living. All countries have their specific good and bad points. It's systems and comparisons like these which can help provide a more balanced view overall when comparing.

You'll quickly note, that the USA is ranked in the top 10, so is Canada, which for me is my choice of destination when I move out of the UK. The UK languishes back in 25th place - I say 'languishes' becuase as a so called 'G8' country and trying to rub shoulders with the very best countries, we simply lag very very far behind.

Your post mentions specifics in terms of cost of seeing a healthcare professional - you must also remember that the NHS doesn't cover all aiments and treatments. If you are in the UK and entitled to NHS cover, it doesn't 'Automatically' mean that everything is covered - far from it. If you contract,or have a condition etc that ISN'T covered, you are then required to pay from your own pocket.

Lastly, whenever we do have these types of discussions on this forum, I have mentioned and posted up links to the very reputable financial websites and institutions from which I quote. I notice you don't do the same for when you put forward your opinion - could you please show me where you obtain your information ? I'd like to see that in written format and from a place that's reputable. It could mean that I've been looking in the wrong places and in fact costs of living, and standards of living are indeed at parity which you so claim. I could then alter my thinking.

As it stands though, what you're saying is unable to be backed up.

I'm not looking to deliberatley make a fuss, I'm genuinely interested in order that I can add to my knowledge and understanding, so that I can make a more rounded and informed choice of where to go when leaving the UK.
Whose post are you responding to? If you hit the "Quote" button, it will include the post you are replying to (not always necessary, but when you say "you" in your post, I can't figure out whose posts you mean).

Also, am curious about your comment re: JFK being at fault for how hard it is to get a US visa - what's that about?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that there are so many who blast the UK and all it's faults and sing praises to a country they have only visited on vacation or small business trips and want to hear nothing real or negative about the place they want to go. If you do tell them the reality of life, they stick their fingers in their ears and stat doing the la la la thing.
Yet two weeks before moving they want to know how do I get medical insurance? or I'm trying to find a rental, or other stuff they didn't research, or didn't listen when we told them.
Within a short time of realising the streets aren't paved with gold and the medical insurance that costs half your low wages doesn't cover 100% of anything and they still need to pull out the checkbook at the doctors office and the pharmacy. they start to complain, just a little, and it makes me laugh. Just a little. Then the UK doesn't seem so bad to them anymore. Oh and they complain they can't find bacon and proper sausages Hello! It's a foreign country who happen to speak English (sort of)
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have found that there are so many who blast the UK and all it's faults and sing praises to a country they have only visited on vacation or small business trips and want to hear nothing real or negative about the place they want to go. If you do tell them the reality of life, they stick their fingers in their ears and stat doing the la la la thing.
Yet two weeks before moving they want to know how do I get medical insurance? or I'm trying to find a rental, or other stuff they didn't research, or didn't listen when we told them.
Within a short time of realising the streets aren't paved with gold and the medical insurance that costs half your low wages doesn't cover 100% of anything and they still need to pull out the checkbook at the doctors office and the pharmacy. they start to complain, just a little, and it makes me laugh. Just a little. Then the UK doesn't seem so bad to them anymore. Oh and they complain they can't find bacon and proper sausages Hello! It's a foreign country who happen to speak English (sort of)
Mummy, I agree with you totally. I wish my mother had done the research rather than announce she was getting married and moving over to the USA - just like that! However, what's done is done.

For myself, I am going to plan a move back home - a country that always was my home and always will be. It may not be the richest country in the world but it is a caring country. I am tired of living under the illusion that the USA is a free country! That's a real joke. This country is anything BUT free. You live under big brother and the rich corporations with no real online or offline freedom. I have had enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.