Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

One thing I find really interesting is that many articles from a Google search say that the cost of living is cheaper in the USA. I truly don't believe it. I know it is expensive in the UK but in the USA you pay so much more for many things such as car insurance, health insurance . . .
I agree - and also it depends where in the US you live. Here in the New York City area, everything is ridiculously expensive. My monthly health care insurance costs more than most British people pay for a mortgage. I live in a drafty old house just like you find in the UK, but my utilities cost 4x the UK prices. Car insurance is nuts here. Property taxes are 5x what they would be in the UK. When I was back in Sept, I found eating out to be much cheaper than round here.

I just don't see how any article can talk about a US cost of living when it varies so wildly from place to place. Maybe if a person leaves Iowa and goes to London, things would seem expensive. But when I move from New York to the north of England, everything except house prices will be much less expensive.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I agree - and also it depends where in the US you live. Here in the New York City area, everything is ridiculously expensive. My monthly health care insurance costs more than most British people pay for a mortgage. I live in a drafty old house just like you find in the UK, but my utilities cost 4x the UK prices. Car insurance is nuts here. Property taxes are 5x what they would be in the UK. When I was back in Sept, I found eating out to be much cheaper than round here.

I just don't see how any article can talk about a US cost of living when it varies so wildly from place to place. Maybe if a person leaves Iowa and goes to London, things would seem expensive. But when I move from New York to the north of England, everything except house prices will be much less expensive.
I don't mind a drafty old UK house. I can always light a fire and put on a cardigan lol!

There are far too many "hidden" costs in the U.S. that can really rip you off left, right and center.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder how I will get used to UK weather again from the Midwest USA weather. I love the sunshine and get depressed by the lack of it. Perhaps to make up for the lack of sunshine, I could go to Spain once or twice a year. Anyone know roughly how much it is to go to Spain for two weeks from the UK - you know the package-type deals.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I do wonder how I will get used to UK weather again from the Midwest USA weather. I love the sunshine and get depressed by the lack of it. Perhaps to make up for the lack of sunshine, I could go to Spain once or twice a year. Anyone know roughly how much it is to go to Spain for two weeks from the UK - you know the package-type deals.
Yes - you might miss the sunshine, but what about all that snow you get up in Michigan? I'm sure that you won't miss that (unless you move to the North of Scotland). I hate the winters here - absolutely hate them. We get so much snow. I start getting depressed here the moment the leaves start changing color - thinking of what is ahead. That's one thing I wouldn't miss - the snow and the bitter cold!!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - you might miss the sunshine, but what about all that snow you get up in Michigan? I'm sure that you won't miss that (unless you move to the North of Scotland). I hate the winters here - absolutely hate them. We get so much snow. I start getting depressed here the moment the leaves start changing color - thinking of what is ahead. That's one thing I wouldn't miss - the snow and the bitter cold!!
Derry, you are SO right. Yes, I absolutely detest the white stuff here in Michigan. I hate snow and, like you, I start to get depressed as soon as the leaves change color! At least the UK doesn't get anywhere near this amount of snow. I can deal with the rain. It is a nightmare for me every winter, just trying to get through the nasty weather. I end up exhausted physically and emotionally come spring.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

To get you going on Supermarkets because I have to go to anther forum to get the other names.

Marks and Spencers
Whiterose?
Iceland
Asda (owned by Walmart)

Just thought there are people on here that live there and they can tell which is the cheapest also. I'm brain dead right now so I don't remember the biggies.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
To get you going on Supermarkets because I have to go to anther forum to get the other names.

Marks and Spencers
Whiterose?
Iceland
Asda (owned by Walmart)

Just thought there are people on here that live there and they can tell which is the cheapest also. I'm brain dead right now so I don't remember the biggies.
Tesco
Sainsburys
Matalan (clothes and stuff)
My favorites are Tesco, M&S and Iceland

Ds says he likes Asda better, my Mum shops everywhere
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers and Mummy, thank you

I adore Marks and Spencer - assuming it's the same quality it was 30 years ago.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Marks and Spencers
Whiterose?
Iceland
Asda (owned by Walmart)

Waitrose
Tesco
Morrison's
Sainsbury's
Safeway
Marks & Spencers food stores

Cheapest are Iceland, Lidl and Netto
Mid-market are Tesco, Asda, Morrisons
High-end are M&S and Waitrose

- but from experience, some are cheaper for some things, others are cheaper for others. Morrison's, for example has a much better selection and deals on good-quality ales than Tesco or Asda (or so I'm told ... ) but Tesco seems to have better deals on ice cream. I tend to visit a different one each week (Tesco, Asda, Morrison's) as they are all on my way home, and stock up on the stuff they have cheapest.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Waitrose
Tesco
Morrison's
Sainsbury's
Safeway
Marks & Spencers food stores

Cheapest are Iceland, Lidl and Netto
Mid-market are Tesco, Asda, Morrisons
High-end are M&S and Waitrose

- but from experience, some are cheaper for some things, others are cheaper for others. Morrison's, for example has a much better selection and deals on good-quality ales than Tesco or Asda (or so I'm told ... ) but Tesco seems to have better deals on ice cream. I tend to visit a different one each week (Tesco, Asda, Morrison's) as they are all on my way home, and stock up on the stuff they have cheapest.
Yea! Thank you. It helps to have them "graded". My mum and I used to go to M&S every Saturday when I was a teenager. We stocked up on staples there. Of course, this meant a trip into Edinburgh every week and I adored that
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,
If you have time go and look at the old postings on here. I remember someone posting that it may seem some prices are higher but some posters say most things are cheaper in the UK.
If you do find prices are higher just say to yourself well the cost includes free health insurance and the four weeks holiday pay that people get.
For me I need less of everything so I will do OK.
The big thing for me is the low cost of travel on trains, buses and ferries, oh, and those plane fares are ridiculously low and almost free.
I think I found a fare of £9 on the high speed First Western train from Frome to Paddington. This was for an advance purchase with a senior discount card.
Now that is cheap.
You mention buying a house. Most of us on here think it is better to rent. In my case I don't want any repair expenses. You can rent a house for £600 and most of them except pets I think.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Yea! Thank you. It helps to have them "graded". My mum and I used to go to M&S every Saturday when I was a teenager. We stocked up on staples there. Of course, this meant a trip into Edinburgh every week and I adored that
This is a webcam of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/camera.cfm?camera=1
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Windsong,
If you have time go and look at the old postings on here. I remember someone posting that it may seem some prices are higher but some posters say most things are cheaper in the UK.
If you do find prices are higher just say to yourself well the cost includes free health insurance and the four weeks holiday pay that people get.
For me I need less of everything so I will do OK.
The big thing for me is the low cost of travel on trains, buses and ferries, oh, and those plane fares are ridiculously low and almost free.
I think I found a fare of £9 on the high speed First Western train from Frome to Paddington. This was for an advance purchase with a senior discount card.
Now that is cheap.
You mention buying a house. Most of us on here think it is better to rent. In my case I don't want any repair expenses. You can rent a house for £600 and most of them except pets I think.

Thank you, Cheers. You have given me SO much helpful information. I had NO idea fares could be that low. That's wonderful! I have no objection to renting; it's just that I think I may "feel" more secure (i.e. can't get thrown out) if I own it. That feeling stems, though, from the very rough times I have had in the U.S. the last 10 years. Plus here, it is hard to find a rental where you can take four small pets - not so in Britain

Why is it better to rent? Does it work out less expensive?

Heavens, I could even get by without a car in the UK with those fares, although I would probably get a decent secondhand one.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talking about free health insurance and the normal four weeks' paid vacation . . I went for a job interview in the U.S. last week. Hours are 8 to 5 BUT they expect one to two hours overtime every day and sometimes weekends. Pay is very good but once you figure in all these extra hours it's not good. I refuse to work 8 to 7 (11 hours a day) for a country where the rich are thieving from the poor each and every day.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Oh no! I'm on a new laptop and have lost all the links and comments I'd listed for Wintersong grrrrr!

Most of them do online ordering and home deliveries too! The largest supermarkets also tend to have in-store cafes and petrol (gas stations), sell clothes (I like the F&F range in Tesco), electrical appliances etc.

Much more variety than the rubbish US supermarkets (well, certainly where I'm located in New Jersey (New York metro area).

OMG I've just spotted the Christmas choc selection boxes and stockings!

http://www.tesco.com

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/index.jsp

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/

http://www.asda.com/index_2.html

http://www.waitrose.com/index.aspx

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/

There are some Costco stores in the UK too (and you can use a US card there)

http://www.costco.co.uk

And.......if you feel you need to find some sunshine in Spain, Italy, Malta etc. etc. there are very cheap airfares to be found on these budget airlines which operate from multiple locations throughout the UK:

http://www.easyjet.com/asp/en/book/index.asp?lang=en

http://www.monarch.co.uk/

http://www.ryanair.com/en

http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/flights/home.aspx

http://www.thomson.co.uk/

Good Luck!

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 25th 2010 at 4:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.