Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Yes was actually 13 when I moved and except for a four hour lay over at Heathrow on our way to Saudi, I had never been back home, not even for a holiday. It is not that I never wanted to and I actually almost did when I was 15, but I then needed my on passport, Canada Post went on strike and we thought I would not be allowed on the aircraft so I did not come back.
So that first few months here was certainly a culture shock for me, even though I thought I had done everything to get myself mentally prepared.

Have I ever felt like throwing in the towel, the answer is most definately!! Especially when I could not find work, but there was no option for me to go back as we just did not have the money to get me back home. I came with almost all our savings and since then I have sold almost all my jewellery except for a few pieces that mean to much to ever sell. It still is pay check to paycheck at this point but hopefully that will get better. I chose this path and so I must follow it through, good, bad or otherwise.
You are one AMAZING woman!!! You really are and an example to all of us of how it CAN be done!!!

I am going to be in the same position as you next year, going back with very little money and having to start up all over again but I am very lucky in that I do have a very supportive family over there.

I do sooo hope your home sells soon and you can be re-united with your hubby and dogs and get your life back on track.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
trotty,
As you know I will be moving in to my friend Arthur's house on the 22nd for my last week in the country, and he has a spare computer he said I can use so I will probably be able to get on here and say goodbye to everyone on the day before I leave, which will be the 29th, ---- but I promise I will post often when I get back home, Phew!!! my time is getting really close, and I am getting very excited/nervous.
29th November!!!! I am sure we will all be thinking of you on that day!!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
Thank you all for the welcome and good wishes, not long now for Rodney, and I hope all goes smoothly for Don and Tim in February, good luck to you all. We retired to Italy in 2008 as our three sons were scattered around Italy, Belgium and Australia. We figured that we would always be able to exchange visits, but the reality feels very isolating and we don't see enough of our three grandchildren, our youngest son returning to London from Oz really clinched the decision, our sons are happy that we have decided to move back. We used to have day trips to Calais from Dover and meet up with our eldest son, dil and kids for lunch and shopping in Cite' Europe, they would drive up from Belgium and it was a great. We are all meeting up at Christmas in London for a few days. I hope this time next year we'll be home. That's it really, as lovely as it is here, it just isn't home.
I have been reading this delightful thread for a couple of months now. Glad to make your acquaintance at last.
Welcome to our thread Pat, my cousin has been living in Italy for over 45 years now, and she has just recently sold her big house after being on the market for three years, and has just bought a new smaller house, she will always be living in Italy, but her Mum visits her for three months every year,
she rarely gets back to England for visits as she has three dogs,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
ED....Are you in for some sleepless nights........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGFrp3lp7Ew

Charleygirl...Hope you manage to catch that plane. I never got your email. Very cold and windy at the moment and raining.

I shall have to do and update on the length of time you folks have been in your adopted countries.

Rodney... when will be the last time you will be on here before you leave

Beedubya...Good for you having a date to go home, now its time to get those fingers working and make all those beedy things so you can add to your bank balance
trotty that little clip was real cute of the puppy barking in his sleep, looks like he was having a dream
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Rod,
Don't forget to apply for your library card ASAP. You will need this before you
are allowed on a computer. At least that is the rule here. Best of luck.
Yes bluenose, thank you for that, maybe you can tell me, here in the US we just walk into library and show Id and you get your card and membership free right away while your standing there, but how does it go over in UK? do you apply for card and then have to wait to get it in the mail?
Thanks,
Rodney.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Beedubya;8973713][QUOTE=jasper123;8973637]Barb you say that you are hoping to move home from Oz to UK again in July of next year, is this your mind made up, and will this be for good this time?
or did I read that wrong?

Take care,
Rodney.

Yes Rodney that is correct. I have given myself this date, I will have been in my job one whole year. Also I have promised my daughter that she can be my travelling companion for cheap air fares and we are supposed to go to my nephews wedding in March, if so that will be on a STRICT budget as I have my savings plan started.

HOWEVER she and her fiancee are in the process of house hunting and I am sure if they do find somewhere they can afford, then her trip to the UK will not happen.........so if it doesn't I will re-think my plans......but for the moment it is July 2011.
Thats really great news Barb, I hope it all works out for you,
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Georgew13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow George I never heard of this one, what is the connection like?

Oh and welcome I see this is your very first post!!! You must be in "our" category to have posted on here, so what's your story if you care to share?

Barb
Hi Barb, Expatshield is a VPN in UK, the speed is just like any connection sometimes good sometime slow, I have had very good speed with it. but I just use it when I want to go on the BBC web site, I get all the news this way.
If you clink on the news channel (on BBC web site) and get all the news instead of 30 seconds
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Georgew13
Hi Barb, Expatshield is a VPN in UK, the speed is just like any connection sometimes good sometime slow, I have had very good speed with it. but I just use it when I want to go on the BBC web site, I get all the news this way.
If you clink on the news channel (on BBC web site) and get all the news instead of 30 seconds
Hi George I saw a review where it says it had annoying pop up ads, is this still the case?

I have watched NBC a few times when I logged onto the US server with Identity Cloaker so maybe this would be a better programme for some returning ex pats who would like to watch some US or Canadian shows they may miss.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

[QUOTE=jasper123;8973828][QUOTE=Beedubya;8973713]
Originally Posted by jasper123
Barb you say that you are hoping to move home from Oz to UK again in July of next year, is this your mind made up, and will this be for good this time?
or did I read that wrong?

Take care,
Rodney.

Thats really great news Barb, I hope it all works out for you,
Of course if I win Lotto then it will be sooner rather than later LOL!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Georgew13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi George I saw a review where it says it had annoying pop up ads, is this still the case?

I have watched NBC a few times when I logged onto the US server with Identity Cloaker so maybe this would be a better programme for some returning ex pats who would like to watch some US or Canadian shows they may miss.
I don't get pop ups when I use it.
It works well for me. but again I only use it when I want to use iplayer or watch the news clips on BBC Web site

Try it,
George
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Georgew13
I don't get pop ups when I use it.
It works well for me. but again I only use it when I want to use iplayer or watch the news clips on BBC Web site

Try it,
George
Ooops forgot to say your programme is FREE.

I will download it tonight and give it a whirl, see if it's any faster for night time viewing of favourite soapie!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

WOW - this thread is now 500 pages long - and almost 7500 posts!

(I bet this appears on page 501 LOL! )
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
WOW - this thread is now 500 pages long - and almost 7500 posts!

(I bet this appears on page 501 LOL! )
No Englishmum, you made it onto page 500! Awesome...what a group we are.

Thanks to all who replied to my question about iPlayer and added info re identitycloaker, expat shield (Welcome George), etc.

Welcome also to Pat (I love Italy, lived five years there once).

Good luck Charleygirl on your last 6 days, flight home, and all that transpires in your family when you get back.

ED re your post about not having been back to UK since age 13 and yet feeling it so strongly, going back w all savings, selling jewelry etc.....I am in awe, both of you yourself, and of the power of that homing instinct.

Tina
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,

I was checking on rents in Poole, Dorset and they are very high so I think that is a high rent district of Bournemouth.

Cheers

From what I have read Poole is one of the most expensive areas in the country and certain parts of it are considered the top real estate in the World. I think that is in the Sandbanks peninsula area of Poole. That whole area is really lovely. Just too bad it is so expensive. My grandparents used to own a small hotel in Bournemouth. Sold it for 13,000 pounds in the 60's. I know now it has been converted into about 12 flats.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
From what I have read Poole is one of the most expensive areas in the country and certain parts of it are considered the top real estate in the World. I think that is in the Sandbanks peninsula area of Poole. That whole area is really lovely. Just too bad it is so expensive. My grandparents used to own a small hotel in Bournemouth. Sold it for 13,000 pounds in the 60's. I know now it has been converted into about 12 flats.
Poole is my hometown- my Dad still lives there. He and Mum bought the house in 1971 for 5000 pounds- now its approx 220,000......I think that house prices in the UK are in need of a major correction! I would'nt be able to afford a rabbit hutch if I went back right now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.