Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Impey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes your right Impey, we shouldn't be getting a drought anytime soon in the UK I do like Southsea, and I like to walk along the promenade, not too nice when the wind is driving the rain into your face on a cold winters day though, but in the summer months its so nice just to be there by the sea, I love the sea, dont know why I have stuck myself in the desert all these years, oh well Im coming home now and Im not one to be looking in the rear mirror of life, that parts over, time for a fresh beginning,
The senior rail card I know about, third off a lot of travel, and the local free senior bus card for the city where you live I know about, and the London freedom pass has been mentioned,
But what you say is really interesting, I didn't know that it was for free travel all over England too, does that cover the entire UK?
Now as its called the London freedom pass does that mean that it can only be bought if you are a resident of London itself? Im really interested in this and Im sure that there will be many on this side of the pond on here that will be wanting to know about that too, --- and I presume it would be for 60 plus people or would that be 55 plus? the reason I mention that is quite a few on here are youngsters like mid 50's
My flight leaves Vegas 4.30pm November 30th, Arrives Gatwick 10.30am next day December 1st, Virgin Atlantic non stop flight,
Take care and goodnight,
Rodney.
Rodney, good evening or is it morning over there?

About the London Freedom Pass, you have to be resident in one of the London Boroughs to get one, at the moment you have to be 60 to apply, and you can travel all over England free but not Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland (where you have to pay).

When I was down in Southsea recently, hopping on and off the local buses (perhaps hop is not the right word as at the moment I walk with a stick (osteo-arthritis), which conveniently folds up while I am doing my business in the shops etc), I noticed that the local free bus pass issued to Southsea/Portsmouth residents had a "red Rose" motif on the front, similar to that on mine, which means that if you got one down there, you could also travel all over England free.

How are you getting to Portsmouth from Gatwick? Did you know there are direct trains to Portsmouth and Southsea from Gatwick? When I met a friend recently at LGW, we got on the train (if I remember right it was every hour). Just had a thought, perhaps someone is meeting you.

Just renewed my library books online (very handy if you don't feel like traipsing round there in the morning).

Easterndawn, saw in your post what you said about Xmas Day. I always used to spend that day with my Mum, and even though she has been gone 19 years, it still feels very strange without her. It is very spooky (if that is the right word) in London Xmas Day as there are no buses, tubes or trains, and the only people about in the afternoon and evening are the poor vulnerable people who have nowhere else to go and who sit/lie in the doorways homeless. This is the other not so nice side of the capital I am sorry to say. There is an organisation called Crisis at Xmas which does provide a few locations where homeless folks can go, get a Xmas dinner, company, perhaps see a doctor etc, but a lot of people don't want to leave the doorway they have found for myself, in case others jump in. Sorry if this all sounds depressing, hope that I have not put anybody off (just telling it how it is).

Hope everybody else on here is OK and hope all your dreams and plans come true in the not too distant future.

Impey
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I love M&S especially at christmas, the little Denise
Hello Denise -Have to comment on that Blow dry, Etc., you had back there- VERY very expensive! I go for Hands and feet manicure, (searches for my hair)- and a haircut, -she does my shoulders, and back too, and it costs a staggering £2. all in. Hope everyone on here, gets their ultimate aim, satisfactorily. love Don
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
I just read on another forum about a USC who married and moved to the UK in 1970. She had lived there for 20 years but came back to the US to take care of her parents and now she can't come back to the UK without going through the process again. Actually she is going to get European citizenship through her parents and then move back to the UK.

Things are changing out there and it is getting to be harder to move around.

How about us are we going to be stuck at some point?
As an aside, Maybe this is different for US and Canadian Spouses, but my Thai Wife, when she gets her UK Settlement Visa, will not be able to travel through Europe, without she applies for, and gets, a ''Shenzen Visa'' from France/Spain Italy or Germany - does the same apply for all? Don
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Impey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Of course you can join us, We are in Thailand, I am 80, and my Thai Wife Tippawan is 56, and we are returning, God Willing, in Februaury to Shropshire. Good luck Dontheturner
Don hello,

See you and your wife are going back to Shropshire (they used to call it Salop sometimes - perhaps it was an abbreviation?). I have been to Church Stretton, they used to call it "little Switzerland", we walked up the Burway Road, past the big hotel (don't know if it is still there), and up on the Long Mynd. What lovely memories I have, think I must revisit some of my old haunts before I get too old and past it. Also remember the Cardingmill Valley.

Impey
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I love my coal fire, so all in all I am happy and content now, and I just want the same for all of you too Denise
Thank you and just think of me when your in front of the fire. In my teens and before I left for the States I use to come home from work and maybe I was cold and wet and it was a great reward to sit in front of the fire and listen to my Mantovani & Orchester records.

Last edited by cheers; Nov 10th 2010 at 3:05 am.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rodney,

Did you buy your new laptop that you want to take home?

Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Impey
Don hello,

See you and your wife are going back to Shropshire (they used to call it Salop sometimes - perhaps it was an abbreviation?). I have been to Church Stretton, they used to call it "little Switzerland", we walked up the Burway Road, past the big hotel (don't know if it is still there), and up on the Long Mynd. What lovely memories I have, think I must revisit some of my old haunts before I get too old and past it. Also remember the Cardingmill Valley.
Impey
Hello Impey - all you mention, is still there, but I think one of the shops in the town, is empty - not too bad really. There is a narrow track road from the valley, up the side, and on over the top, to Ratlinghope. - avery isolated place. But I digress, Changed the car, for an almost new Austin Allegro Vanden Plas 1759 Twin Cerb, Car, and took it for a spin, up there, anywhere, half way up, and the clutch was slipping so badly, had to reverse all the way back down on the brakes! - but drove it back to Shifnal, where the Garage was. A very hairy drive! my wife ( number 2) was terrified.
Impey, if you look on Google Earth, and go into street view, you can take that memory of yours! Going back sometime? PM if you wish. dontheturner
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really nice website with information on Chester. Always makes me homesick. http://www.chester360.co.uk/index.htm
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to put this one as well lots of history and facts

http://www.chesterwalls.info/
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
PAT M...Pull up a chair and join in the fun. Well we are not always a happy fun loving bunch of campers but we do keep each other going. Most of us are a little long in the tooth well not all of us but each one of us has been out of the country for quite a few years Rodney at one time was the one who had spent the most time out of the UK 35years he's on his way home is 3 weeks:thumbsup but now we have one who beat him and thats Aries she's been in Aust. for 50 and hoping to go back home.
As for myself ,45 years before Ifinally got home, hadn't even been for a visit in all those years,
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for the welcome and good wishes, not long now for Rodney, and I hope all goes smoothly for Don and Tim in February, good luck to you all. We retired to Italy in 2008 as our three sons were scattered around Italy, Belgium and Australia. We figured that we would always be able to exchange visits, but the reality feels very isolating and we don't see enough of our three grandchildren, our youngest son returning to London from Oz really clinched the decision, our sons are happy that we have decided to move back. We used to have day trips to Calais from Dover and meet up with our eldest son, dil and kids for lunch and shopping in Cite' Europe, they would drive up from Belgium and it was a great. We are all meeting up at Christmas in London for a few days. I hope this time next year we'll be home. That's it really, as lovely as it is here, it just isn't home.
I have been reading this delightful thread for a couple of months now. Glad to make your acquaintance at last.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, sorry not able to read the pages and pages since my last visit........
just 6 days left now, loved every minute of it, some very tough times ahead for me thats for sure.
My family ( and for those who dont know my story) 3 teenagers, twins 18 and a 19 year old and UK husband seem to have survived with out me...... I want to return to the UK to live my mind is made up, but well it will be alone or not at all.
I have a wonderful supportive family here though and that will help.

Denise 2, did see your posts, happy to know all is well, and I was in town today and the Christmas lights were being put up and a huge tree and Christmas music was playing.....
Rodney, so close now.......
Welcome to new faces!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi everyone, sorry not able to read the pages and pages since my last visit........
just 6 days left now, loved every minute of it, some very tough times ahead for me thats for sure.
My family ( and for those who dont know my story) 3 teenagers, twins 18 and a 19 year old and UK husband seem to have survived with out me...... I want to return to the UK to live my mind is made up, but well it will be alone or not at all.
I have a wonderful supportive family here though and that will help.

Denise 2, did see your posts, happy to know all is well, and I was in town today and the Christmas lights were being put up and a huge tree and Christmas music was playing.....
Rodney, so close now.......
Welcome to new faces!
I can SO relate to you Charleygirl even though my "kids" are a lot older than yours........take care and even though you don't really know me, know I am thinking of you and how you are feeling right now.

I am thinking July next year unless circumstances change before then.....
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ED....Are you in for some sleepless nights........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGFrp3lp7Ew

Charleygirl...Hope you manage to catch that plane. I never got your email. Very cold and windy at the moment and raining.

I shall have to do and update on the length of time you folks have been in your adopted countries.

Rodney... when will be the last time you will be on here before you leave

Beedubya...Good for you having a date to go home, now its time to get those fingers working and make all those beedy things so you can add to your bank balance
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am thinking July next year unless circumstances change before then.....
If you wind up in the Lake District, keep the kettle on for me. I'll be there eventually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.