Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Gosh Islandwoman, I thought everyone had double glazing and plenty of heat, I know all my relatives do, even my MIL has her bricks pumped full of insulation, her home is cozy.

It looks like you will have to get a water bottle for the time being, I love the warmth of an electric blanket but the thought of electic wires all over me just doesn't sit right in my head, and Yes I know you have to switch it off and unplug it before getting into bed hahahaaaa...

A nice pair of wollie socks can help too.
I am staying in an old house - Edwardian - and it is large, and drafty. So I am chilly. I am guessing that the fuel costs are high because the owners do not put the heat up very high, or for very long. So I am dressing as though I am still in Minnesota: many layers! My socks are not wool, so perhaps I will listen to you and go to M & S and buy some - tomorrow!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I think the difference between family A and family B is the fact that Family A is doing everything by the book and within the law and Family B is not, plain and simple. Well, that is my slant on things.
Meaning that they are claiming benefits they're not entitled to?

The family on the show I watched last night was husband, wife and 6 kids. They were living in a 2-bed council house and had been waiting for a 4-bed house for 7 years. The husband was a window cleaner but had lost his job. He didn't stay with the family every night because there was no room for him, so he slept on friends' floors although they were still married and he still did all the dad things - there was just no bed for him. The house was a pigsty simply because there was no storage. Mum slept on the sofa with the two littlest kids.

So the rich family comes in to sponsor them and thinks they can fix it all, so they go to the council and say 'this family is over-crowded and must be moved up the priority list.' The council come round to measure and say 'no, this is an adequate sized house for 7 people.' What???? Whatever the freeloaders are doing, I wish this family could have done it. My heart was breaking for them - they were such good people.

But in America, they'd be in a tent as islandwoman described, so I guess at least there is that.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all- well I never made it to UK for my holiday! Had food poisoning and was stuck in hospital for over a week, n ow back home eating jelly and drinking anything clear!!!!

Needless to say Dad in UK and myself very disappointed!!! Will have to wait until 2011 now- have'nt even unpacked my case yet!!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all- well I never made it to UK for my holiday! Had food poisoning and was stuck in hospital for over a week, n ow back home eating jelly and drinking anything clear!!!!

Needless to say Dad in UK and myself very disappointed!!! Will have to wait until 2011 now- have'nt even unpacked my case yet!!
Ahhhhhhh Shelly, its not been youre year has it, that is truly sad, Roll on 2011.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley..So sorry to hear your news how sad for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Jackie...Glad the operation is over and all went well and you are home soon.

Rodney....There was no need to apologise. I read your rant and I agree with you. There are many people who are on welfare and are just lazy. My nephew lives next door to one. They bleed the country dry while others who need it and do it the right way get nothing. How did the sale go.

One point to all.. the reason I have always thought it a good idea to steer clear of politics and religion is because each of us has our own ideas on the subject and we would all end up upsetting someone and they might not return to the forum. Whether your a Conservative or Labor or Democrat or Rebublican we all have our own ideas. Now I could say but I won't why if you are on welfare do you have large families but then that might upset someone so I won't say it.
I find it best to stick to the topic of going home and getting information to each one of us that we need. I think we have done a pretty good job on the front.

I got a nice letter from the Girl Scouts for the donation of books I gave them. They said without them the library for the seniors and rehab patients would not have happened. I am adding more books to another box and next time it gets full I shall call the girl back.

On the housing market here it just gets worse. People are reducing the price of their homes by nealy 30% might as well give it away. Now Winter is almost here there will be no lookers. But will keep it on the market.

The dollar is slowly creeping back up its now at $1.60. In May it was at its best at $1.42 against the pound. The news is its only going to get worse.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Shelley that is so sad. I hope you feel better soon and can managed another trip ASAP.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
upset someone so I won't say it.
The dollar is slowly creeping back up its now at $1.60. In May it was at its best at $1.42 against the pound. The news is its only going to get worse.
I also watch this and I wonder if things will change? I think it is anyones guess.
If the UK goes through the austerity programs will it bring down the pound?
The news today in the US is that the recovery is slowing down. I knew this but they just found out. We have a political system where one side works against the other so as to control the wealth of the country.
I think a lot of people are doing very well economically speaking and a lot are at the end of their rope. This could be a danger if the later group rise up. I don't think they will be because politicians will use them as weapon against whatever party is power.
Whoever gets in power next month won't make any difference in my view.
They are asking to be elected by the people but they only want to get their hands on power and the treasury. Look at the amount of money they are spending on their campaigns. To get this money for their campaigns they have made some big promises to those who provided the money. They don't get it from the working stiff, thats for sure.
OK I feel better now. I just got up from my nap!
I just repeat what is told to me on the TV propaganda. Did they do a good job of influencing me?
Don't take life seriously it will send you bonkers.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Now I could say but I won't why if you are on welfare do you have large families but then that might upset someone so I won't say it.
Good thing you didn't say it

I am just very thankful that I was blessed with so many advantages (loving family, good education, nice place to grow up etc). I look at people who didn't have those advantages and think "there but the for the grace of God ..."

Today I was heading out grocery shopping and telling my husband 'I hate doing this!' and then I felt like such a witch, because how many people would love to be in my shoes, heading off to buy groceries and with enough money in my pockets to do it?

When I get lonely for my UK friends, or sad about missing England the way I am today, I remind myself how lucky I am. I know it sounds pollyanna-ish but it helps me.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So back to moving back to the UK..

How about this immaculate home in Pembrokshire. It is a little out of our (forum) upper price range but I think I could be happy there

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28042714.html

Many of you have said you like this area.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I am staying in an old house - Edwardian - and it is large, and drafty. So I am chilly. I am guessing that the fuel costs are high because the owners do not put the heat up very high, or for very long. So I am dressing as though I am still in Minnesota: many layers! My socks are not wool, so perhaps I will listen to you and go to M & S and buy some - tomorrow!
My sister lives in an old stone house on the Scottish coast (Fife). Her house was built in 1860. I have only ever visited her in August or Sept when the weather was reasonably warm. From what she tells me, it is quite cold there in the winter and her bills are high, so she just has the heating on low and wears warm clothes. I have a Lands End outlet near me so I usually send her their fleeces for birthday/Christmas presents.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no - how horrible for you! What a shame that your holiday back home with your dad got ruined like that. Hope you are feeling better.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...Thats a nice house but the rent is reall expensive are they all that high. In Chester I have seen the rent from around 500 on up. I suppose it depends where you want to live. I have this battle within me I want the UK to get worse so we can afford to move but then I think how mean that is of me and I feel guilty.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

I got a nice letter from the Girl Scouts for the donation of books I gave them. They said without them the library for the seniors and rehab patients would not have happened. I am adding more books to another box and next time it gets full I shall call the girl back.
Trottytrue, glad you eventually got rid of those books, I still keep dipping into my stash, even though they are sitting at the front door. (Next step, the porch) I HAVE to get rid of them, for once and for all....its so hard...
I had a giggle that you were hoping the UK would get worse so you could afford to move dont feel alone, I pray every day that the CA$ and the Pound would close ranks, along with the constantly dropping house prices, we might just manage!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yes, the tv shows here are to blame - my take on because, bless them, most English houses are not winterised and warm like American houses. Does no one winterise their houses here? Come on - single pane windows still? And turning off the central heating at night? I know, I am whining, perhaps when I have to pay my own fuel bill I will join the strong and hardy. And this from a Minnesota Woman!! heaven help me....
Island Woman, There are very few houses, without Double Glazing in the UK, the only ones I know of, when I left 4 years ago, were very old people, who have not ''done their house up'' as it were, and they are few and far between.
If you look at the homes, for rent and sale, on www.rightmove.co.uk, you will see all are offered, with DG, in the description. Insulation in the wall, is also a very discounted cheap option, as is roof insulation (Free) via the local council.- if the offered property does not show DG, avoid it, as too ''Electric heating'' NOT GOOD.= it is poor, and expensive.
If you are buying, there has to be a certificate showing the level of thermal saving, the house has. ( often shown, as a bar chart, in the rental offer ,too.)
dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 17th 2010 at 1:56 am. Reason: add
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
So back to moving back to the UK..

How about this immaculate home in Pembrokshire. It is a little out of our (forum) upper price range but I think I could be happy there

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28042714.html

Many of you have said you like this area.
Cheers! You jest with that offering? Right? very few people would ever consider that home. it is a Winter Let - come the summer, they will want you out! . It is at the seaside, - don't get me wrong, The town is ace for a holiday- so always more expensive - nice to look, and ponder, but not realistic. look away from seaside towns, to well into the outskirts, and save at least £200 PCM. When searching, do as I do, put in a max, of about £650--- love dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.