Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
I just found this on You Tube. If you like nostalgia.
It is a video clip on British Trains in the 1960's but what you'll really like is the music of the period. Paul Temple, Dick Barton and Family Favorites.
Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcJcVafj7lE
Wow cheers where did you dig this up from, my passion is trains, particulary the old steam trains from my youth, oh this really brings back memories for me, I only watched the first film but I see every film is about the old trains,
Thank you and I will be watching others as I get the time,
And the music from that old radio program too, family favorites yes I so remember listening to that,
And I also remember listening to music while I was working in a factory in Portsmouth in the early 60,s I think the program on the radio was called (music while you work) anyone remember that?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow cheers where did you dig this up from, my passion is trains, particulary the old steam trains from my youth, oh this really brings back memories for me, I only watched the first film but I see every film is about the old trains,
Thank you and I will be watching others as I get the time,
And the music from that old radio program too, family favorites yes I so remember listening to that,
And I also remember listening to music while I was working in a factory in Portsmouth in the early 60,s I think the program on the radio was called (music while you work) anyone remember that?
Take care,
Rodney.
I remember that well. My Mum used to listen all the time. Check this out Rodney.....http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/mwyw.htm
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Sally - thank you so much. Maybe you will come for a visit before then. Take a look at this place. It`s in my home town and for sale right now. I remember the place well.

http://www.minadab.co.uk/
Wow High Tide thats Beautiful, My Auntie and Uncle lived in nearby Torquay, Devon is wonderful, you guys are doing well, everything is rolling along, Good for you.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that well. My Mum used to listen all the time. Check this out Rodney.....http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/mwyw.htm
Amazing stuff, even I remember Music while you work, Thanks for that Hightide.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow High Tide thats Beautiful, My Auntie and Uncle lived in nearby Torquay, Devon is wonderful, you guys are doing well, everything is rolling along, Good for you.

Thanks Fish.....really looking forward to taking a look at it soon. Torquay is just another 7 miles down the coast. A beautiful coast road along the cliff tops with amazing views.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well I havent used a hot water bottle since I was a kid over there, I remember when I was a wee kid the bottles were made of china or something and were breakable if you dropped them, but then rubber was invented and we all had rubber hot water bottles, I remember that if you got it touching your skin it would burn and you would wake up pretty darn fast
Rodney,
PS I may have to where my long johns to bed or a big overcoat as my mum does not ever have the heat going at night when we go to bed, and in my past visits I have found it to be freezing around November, as that is always the month I have gone back, but seriously though I (WILL) be buying a nice electric blanket when I get back, My dear Mum already knows that
Hot water bottle was one of the first things I bought when I got here. Think I got it for a couple of pound.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Fish.....really looking forward to taking a look at it soon. Torquay is just another 7 miles down the coast. A beautiful coast road along the cliff tops with amazing views.
And those roads are very tight with tall hedges.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

OH yes David, that is really good, I really did not know of the BBC radio plan to bring music into the factories, and the purpose to help productivity,
I Just enjoyed the music and I was happy working in that factory, maybe (music while you work) had a lot to do with my contentment at the time,
see how clever us Brits are,
David thanks for the memories,
Rodney.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

High Tide, congrats!
Cheers rodney is going to Portsmouth, ( just in case you missed the question Rodney!
Rodney, you must be getting quite excited anxious nervous all those things!
I know you will be fine, 3 weeks has gone for me already but it has been great.
been shopping in M&S, kinda expensive but love the clothes, treated myself to a lovely blouse and skirt!
Went to the pub ( again) last night to watch the England game, actually able to walk there which I love, had a lovely pint of lager, cheese and bacon burger with fries very nice 10 quid for two of us. I like that there is no smoking in the pubs must admit. Felt clean and healthy in there.
Weather is good........
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello everyone,
I have Just been watching on TV Channel 309, Madonna's sticky & sweet tour show in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2 hour show,
If you have a chance to see it you will find its absolutely an Amazing show she put on, spectacular, she gave it her all, and she was in top form, and so active in her dancing and singing, this was recent like within the last two years, she can still put on the show and performance of her life, and shows up performers of half her age, and without a single song that was lipsunk, all were live from her mouth, I can tell,
Singers like Brittany spears and others could learn a lot from this professional lady.
Now the cole porter story ---- de-lovely has just started so got to get back to my evening, its only 2am in the morning, still early
Rodney.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
High Tide, congrats!
Cheers rodney is going to Portsmouth, ( just in case you missed the question Rodney!
Rodney, you must be getting quite excited anxious nervous all those things!
I know you will be fine, 3 weeks has gone for me already but it has been great.
been shopping in M&S, kinda expensive but love the clothes, treated myself to a lovely blouse and skirt!
Went to the pub ( again) last night to watch the England game, actually able to walk there which I love, had a lovely pint of lager, cheese and bacon burger with fries very nice 10 quid for two of us. I like that there is no smoking in the pubs must admit. Felt clean and healthy in there.
Weather is good........
Hi charleygirl,
Yes I feel all those things and more, I know I will be fine after I get there, its just getting over this slow build up as the weeks go by to the very day of my flight, it all seems so different then all the other times every 5 years for a few weeks holiday with my Mum, this is going to be permanent for me,
I want to be happy there, and I want my Mum to live a long long time,
Rodney.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Just received notice from Ottawa that the Settlement Visa for my partner has been issued and to expect delivery of documents in 3 working days. Can't believe how fast this was as we only applied on Sept. 27th. We did however send a load of supporting documents. Now we can really begin to finalize plans !!
HighTide, congrats on your Settlement Visa, that was a huge hurdle! How quick were they then!!! I might be picking your brains soon as I will have to get one for my Canadian hubby, too. Heartening to know they dont dilly-dally, although I might still have a year or so to go, unfortunately. But I have just done my Canadian Citizenship test, so all those little tasks are falling into place, now along with constant purging at home. The place is bare!! Soon will have nothing to sit on I'm like a dog with a bone.
I have friends living in Teignmouth and simply love it down there. Beautiful area.
Charleygirl, great to see you are having a fun time and getting out and about. Have you come across any serious negatives since you arrived? Have you been able to have a peek at the job situation for yourself? I have daily job alerts sent to me from a UK website, and there always seem to be plenty of opportunities.
Rodney, you lucky man...not long now. I do wish you all the best. Time will fly now and soon you will be decorating the Xmas tree with your mum supervising! Or will it be the other way around?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

High Tide, that place is adorable - is it for sale? I love that it says it was built to look like a ship.

Charleygirl, I love your updates. You sound so happy and before, I hope you don't mind my saying, you always sounded a little sad. It's obvious this trip has been a tonic for you.

Mummy, I'll have to look out for that B&B show. It sounds fun. I'm obsessed with 'Come Dine with Me' and actually saw an episode 'live' when we were in the UK. Usually I just wait and download from The Box.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We are not typical, but I would say our food bill has gone up about 25-30% since moving here compared to when we were both in the US together. I do, however, buy things like meat from an independent butcher and have to cater to my husband's need for junk food in his lunch (something I never included in the grocery bill at home).

Some things are a lot cheaper. Cable's cheaper. The phone bill's cheaper. Internet's cheaper. Electric's not. Heating is about the same, but it's not as cold here. So yeah, heating is probably more per unit. You also have to factor in things like the fact you won't need to pay for insurance. You won't be covered by Medicare here, so there's no sense in continuing to pay for it.

The above is a quote from an American who moved to the UK and I thought Rodney would like to know. There are different views on costs from different people. I picked this one out because of the reference to the phone and internet expenses.

Last edited by cheers; Oct 13th 2010 at 6:24 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Wawa;8915233]HighTide, congrats on your Settlement Visa, that was a huge hurdle! How quick were they then!!! I might be picking your brains soon as I will have to get one for my Canadian hubby, too. Heartening to know they dont dilly-dally, although I might still have a year or so to go, unfortunately. But I have just done my Canadian Citizenship test, so all those little tasks are falling into place, now along with constant purging at home. The place is bare!! Soon will have nothing to sit on I'm like a dog with a bone.
I have friends living in Teignmouth and simply love it down there. Beautiful area.
E]

Thanks very much Wawa...it's a great feeling. I will be happy to help with any info. I can when your hubby's turn comes. I think it is a fairly slow time of the year. I have heard it is very busy in Spring with Student Visas etc.

It sounds like you are well on the way with your plans. Good for you. I sold my desk at the weekend and then decided I need something for the computer for the next month so found a nice one in the lane that someone was getting rid of. Love this recycling.

See you in Teignmouth someday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.