Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Don this is sheltered housing in Stafford.

http://www.housingcare.org/sheltered...fford-pg3.aspx
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Don this is the article about the housing market.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...n-a-month.html
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Why not try Canada Post, your husband can go on line, enter all the necessary information, size of box, weight and get several options for sending, the cheapest is Surface and get an exact cost. Elizabeth
Thanks Boodles, he is going to do that today.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Aces1.... Can see you are really having a good time. Have you thought about whether or not you want to stay in Malta for good or is this just a long holiday.

Charleygirl....When you went to the bank did you tell them that you would be transferrring money from the US. Do they have any information on opening an account from another country. Not sure whether you said you bank at Lloyds or not. Glad to see you are finding life at home good. You sound like its going to be a go for you going home, no second thoughts on it.

ED...I shall take a look at what I have stored for this forum and see if there is anything about boxes I know someone mentioned it a while ago. I shall post it when I find it.

Beedubya....Not sure how old you are but at least you have a time for going back and you can start now putting away a little each week and havng that bank account separate from the rest of your money. You are important to this forum as you have been home and returned not because you didnt like it but because you missed your family. Alot of us have family so thats gives us an idea that we will be in the same boat. Do you see your family often now you are back in Aust.

I have decided while I am waiting I am going to be frugal and make sure I really want or need to buy things and also check whether I can use the item when I get home. Dont see the house selling anytime soon.

I read this morning that house prices in the Uk are now starting to fall again so that helps if we have to sell ours for less.
Good question Trottytrue, wish I could tell you the answer!!! Sometimes in life I believe it is not important to know the answer though, just to be curious and keep asking the questions. As long as I am happy here, I will stay here. Of course happiness is measured on many levels, mental, emotional, physical, spiritual, and (sad to say) financial, with the dollar dropping!.......so, I just go by my gut instincts and intuition. And I try and be aware of and recognize all open doors of opportunity.....that's all!

Have you noticed that when we stop worrying about something, that is when the solution presents itself? Just visualize what it is you want (your house sale) and then let whatever higher power you believe in take control. Take care, Anna
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Don this is sheltered housing in Stafford.

http://www.housingcare.org/sheltered...fford-pg3.aspx
Hello TT,When we first came to Thailand, to stay, in Nov 2007 my attorney (Son in Law), was going to put it on the market at £250,000, but had to prepare it, and clear the roof space, of my stored U/S items etc., And was then told - no! wait till after Xmas, by which time price was falling, so here we are - it is rented out, £600 pcm, and now, well, I would be lucky to get £180,000 - so I am almost committed to going back into it. But we really don't need one that big, but the area is ace! Tippawan wants garden though - so Sheltered, is not on the list. Just killing the days - looking really, as I have nothing much to do, till her visa arrives, and the waiting list is 3 months. So, TT take care. I think it is ''Swan Gate here we come'' love don xx.

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 8th 2010 at 10:59 am. Reason: E&OE
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.... How are things going for you. Not long now.
HI trotty,
Yes November 30 is coming up fast, I have my four suitcases packed and ready to go, all furniture sold except my two sofas,
My feelings are mixed, excited to go home and live with my Mum,
Sad to leave the US (but not Vegas)
And nervous about going home, only cause its all going to be strange for me,
But I think after a while I will settle in fine,
Take care,
Rodney,
PS still not sure if I should buy a laptop here or wait till I get home?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
HI trotty,

PS still not sure if I should buy a laptop here or wait till I get home?
How about a ipad instead
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello TT, but the area is ace!
So Don where would you like to rent in the UK?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Just visualize what it is you want (your house sale) and then let whatever higher power you believe in take control. Take care, Anna
Picturing 20 million dollars and Kevin Costner .... wait, why isn't it working???

Originally Posted by cheers
How about a ipad instead
Mine was fantastic on my flight home - 7 hours and it flew by! Watched a few episodes of Mad Men and Doc Martin, played some games, listened to some music, and read my book and the time just flew by. iPad batteries last 4 times as long as my laptop so they're great for flights.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Oct 8th 2010 at 5:39 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:23 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
still not sure if I should buy a laptop here or wait till I get home?

VERY expensive here, Rodders. 450 quid if you're lucky; good ones are closer to 500 quid (and above).

Toshiba's are the least expensive (as are Acer) but Tony's an IT guy and doesn't like either of those brands, preferring an HP or Dell.

If it were me, I'd buy a good laptop in the States then just spend the 8-9 quid when you get here to buy a UK power lead from Maplan's. Tony now wishes he had done just that.

Just my 2p worth!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Islandwoman. did you sell your house in MN or did you rent? Just wondering - stuck in horrible AZ though raining today (yeah!) and want to sell house so I can move elsewhere in US but maybe one day move to UK or have small place in Scotland.. I am glad things are going well for you in England..
Hi: I was a renter, so it was easy for me to move on. I gave up my tenancy at the end of my lease in 2009, and lived with friends and relatives for a year - I wanted to leave the USA having said my goodbyes properly, and had friends all over the place, so I used the time to slowly say good bye to people and places, and to sell all my stuff, and my car - all that I was not taking with me, that is. Still, I burst into tears when the plane left Minneapolis airport.....I am fine now, thankfully.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
VERY expensive here, Rodders. 450 quid if you're lucky; good ones are closer to 500 quid (and above).

Toshiba's are the least expensive (as are Acer) but Tony's an IT guy and doesn't like either of those brands, preferring an HP or Dell.

If it were me, I'd buy a good laptop in the States then just spend the 8-9 quid when you get here to buy a UK power lead from Maplan's. Tony now wishes he had done just that.

Just my 2p worth!
I agree with you Denise. I would love to buy an Ipad thoug and I do agree with Tony, both of our lap tops are HP and we have had very little problems with either
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, I am sure you thought I had forgotten about you all, but I had decided I was not going to write to you again until I had something really positive and long term ( well as long term as possible to tell you all) I HAVE A HOME NOWwe were just today accepted for a 3 bedroom semi detached newish home in Cork, in my daughters development, which means my grandkids can call in to see us whenever they want to, we will be within walking distance to their homes, so we can babysit when needed, and just be involved with their lives I think the proudist thing I felt was, when my daughter was asked by a friend were we not too close to her, she replied "never, my mum never visits, she could live next door and I would still have to visit her" and that is true, I love being close to my family without being in their faces so thank god it seems to work for us. I just cannot wait now to have my things around me again, I have been in the same clothes since coming home no I have washed them now and again, but oh just to wear something I havent worn for over 6 months will make it feel like new all over again. Seriously though, I just want you all to k now the differences even for us since coming back... the rental market is a landlords dream at the moment, the fact people are not buying has made the rental market a landlords dream, so it has taken us 4 long months to get
anything suitable I had honestly given up many a time (reason I did'nt post on the forum, I did'nt want to post any negatives to you). I will keep in touch now and let you know how things are going, but I can honestly say as one who really did'nt want to come back to the UK/Ireland that as time has gone on and I have really sat back a nd reflected what it was I was looking for, I realise now, in my case I missed my chance in Canada when I returned in 1986, but now i put what "might have been" behind me and realised what I did have, I have become more content with my lot and am enjoying what I do have with my country warts and all, but most of all, I have a beautiful family who love me so I am just going to settle now and enjoy whatever is thrown at me now. The next thing we as a family have planned is a Halloween Party, my daughter in Belfast is coming to us in Cork for a big party, I can't wait. I hope you don't mind if I get a little sentimental here, but i just want everyone to know, it has taken me to go back to Canada to realise just what I had, and I am humbled and ashamed that I was selfish enough to think only of my own selfish wants, well now I know just how much I am loved by my family they will be first in my thoughts now. Sorry I know this sounds really soppy, and I would be the first to say so myself but I needed to be clear and let you all know it is a true saying far off fields are green, without loveones it means nothing believe me. sorry about the length of this post but needed to be honest with you and myself good luck to you all will be in touch soonDenise1
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

So here is my take on renting a home.
There are so many people who cannot sell their homes that they have to rent them out. This saves them walking away from their home or having it foreclosed on and ruining their credit, so if you can rent out your home you are ahead of the game.

There should be a glut of homes for rent or there will be.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi everyone, I am sure you thought I had forgotten about you all, but I had decided I was not going to write to you again until I had something really positive and long term ( well as long term as possible to tell you all) I HAVE A HOME NOWwe were just today accepted for a 3 bedroom semi detached newish home in Cork, in my daughters development, which means my grandkids can call in to see us whenever they want to, we will be within walking distance to their homes, so we can babysit when needed, and just be involved with their lives I think the proudist thing I felt was, when my daughter was asked by a friend were we not too close to her, she replied "never, my mum never visits, she could live next door and I would still have to visit her" and that is true, I love being close to my family without being in their faces so thank god it seems to work for us. I just cannot wait now to have my things around me again, I have been in the same clothes since coming home no I have washed them now and again, but oh just to wear something I havent worn for over 6 months will make it feel like new all over again. Seriously though, I just want you all to k now the differences even for us since coming back... the rental market is a landlords dream at the moment, the fact people are not buying has made the rental market a landlords dream, so it has taken us 4 long months to get
anything suitable I had honestly given up many a time (reason I did'nt post on the forum, I did'nt want to post any negatives to you). I will keep in touch now and let you know how things are going, but I can honestly say as one who really did'nt want to come back to the UK/Ireland that as time has gone on and I have really sat back a nd reflected what it was I was looking for, I realise now, in my case I missed my chance in Canada when I returned in 1986, but now i put what "might have been" behind me and realised what I did have, I have become more content with my lot and am enjoying what I do have with my country warts and all, but most of all, I have a beautiful family who love me so I am just going to settle now and enjoy whatever is thrown at me now. The next thing we as a family have planned is a Halloween Party, my daughter in Belfast is coming to us in Cork for a big party, I can't wait. I hope you don't mind if I get a little sentimental here, but i just want everyone to know, it has taken me to go back to Canada to realise just what I had, and I am humbled and ashamed that I was selfish enough to think only of my own selfish wants, well now I know just how much I am loved by my family they will be first in my thoughts now. Sorry I know this sounds really soppy, and I would be the first to say so myself but I needed to be clear and let you all know it is a true saying far off fields are green, without loveones it means nothing believe me. sorry about the length of this post but needed to be honest with you and myself good luck to you all will be in touch soonDenise1
Good to hear from you - so glad things have worked out and you now feel settled. I know what you mean about the family thing. That is probably the reason that I shall end up staying in the US (although I would love to go back home). My children and grandchildren are here and that means a lot to me. All the best to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.