Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I dont know if any of you are Soul fans but I listened to Diana Ross on you tube singing Its My Turn and it gave me strength, there was a "Oh okay thats cool" from my twin daughters 18 next Saturday, sure when it sinks in it will be much more than that....... Husband well looked shocked ( er wheres your head been for 13 years) and just a "well you could have asked me first" that says a lot, but I am sure much more will come from him.........son was oh good mum you need to be with your mum.
So the vibes worked, I was expecting a lot of flack...

Thank you everyone......
Charleygirl, that certainly is great news, and yes there might be some odd remarks once the shock has worn off but good girl for showing them how serious you are and how much it means to you. I reckon that with time your hubby might have 2nd thoughts about staying
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Looks like I will be the next one home, I leave on Tuesday for bonnie Scotlland, can't wait

Been so busy getting things arranged, haven't been able to keep up with this thread, so if anyone else has headed home or is heading home soon, all of my best to you all
Marmalade, you only have a few days left!~ How wonderful - wish you all the best and really look forward to your updates!

Hell, its getting a bit thin on the ground around here
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much everyone

What lovely warm wishes from you all. I am headed for the Scottish Borders, where I was born and bred. Can't believe it is only a couple days now. To say I am excited is an understatement

I actually leave on my birthday, so I am giving myself one of the best birthday presents I have ever had
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

Good luck to everyone who are either on their way or about to set off.

Thought I'd give you all an update and swell the ranks a bit as it seems quite a few folks are leaving.

Just over 3 weeks to go before I set off for my short trip back to the UK.
It's going to be busy, I know, but I'm trying to make arrangements for seeing a few old friends whilst there. Sadly, it seems all my favorite pubs in the area are closing or have closed down :-( but the good news is that the brilliant Cantonese restaurant is still going so I will certainly be going there at some point.

My daughter is very excited and has been wonderful, sorting things out for the little house we have. She's bought a new bed, bedroom furniture and all the bits and pieces I'll need while I'm there. She's going to take some pictures when she's had a clean up. I'll have to clear the attic out and the downstairs is still in a mess by all accounts as my Father in Law was working on it when he died. After I leave we will be renting it out and she will take care of the running of things. I'll be calling in at the solicitors and having a contract drawn up, probably for a 6 months lease then month to month.

The house is tiny, a back to back built in the 1800's but it's a listed building and in very good condition. The idea is that it will be easy for us to clean and maintain and cheap to heat when we are "old and decrepit" It's also in walking distance to the shops.
We wont be able to charge much rent but it would be ideal for a single person or couple and is extremely handy for motorway access if someone needs to commute.

Cigi.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cigi
Good luck to everyone who are either on their way or about to set off.

Thought I'd give you all an update and swell the ranks a bit as it seems quite a few folks are leaving.

Just over 3 weeks to go before I set off for my short trip back to the UK.
It's going to be busy, I know, but I'm trying to make arrangements for seeing a few old friends whilst there. Sadly, it seems all my favorite pubs in the area are closing or have closed down :-( but the good news is that the brilliant Cantonese restaurant is still going so I will certainly be going there at some point.

My daughter is very excited and has been wonderful, sorting things out for the little house we have. She's bought a new bed, bedroom furniture and all the bits and pieces I'll need while I'm there. She's going to take some pictures when she's had a clean up. I'll have to clear the attic out and the downstairs is still in a mess by all accounts as my Father in Law was working on it when he died. After I leave we will be renting it out and she will take care of the running of things. I'll be calling in at the solicitors and having a contract drawn up, probably for a 6 months lease then month to month.

The house is tiny, a back to back built in the 1800's but it's a listed building and in very good condition. The idea is that it will be easy for us to clean and maintain and cheap to heat when we are "old and decrepit" It's also in walking distance to the shops.
We wont be able to charge much rent but it would be ideal for a single person or couple and is extremely handy for motorway access if someone needs to commute.

Cigi.
It sounds wonderful, very quaint, and your daughter is a prize taking care of all this for you, what part of the country is your little home in?

The Pubs, when they started to close I thought England was done, its so sad to see some pubs close, I do love to go for a few drinks, a bag of crisps and a good chat, I suppose supermarkets sell beer so cheap that its affected peoples going out habits for the smaller locals, Huhhhh its a shame really as I always figured the pubs were the one thing that would never go out of style, I used to go out to socalise as much as to drink, its just part of British life.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I dont know if any of you are Soul fans but I listened to Diana Ross on you tube singing Its My Turn and it gave me strength, there was a "Oh okay thats cool" from my twin daughters 18 next Saturday, sure when it sinks in it will be much more than that....... Husband well looked shocked ( er wheres your head been for 13 years) and just a "well you could have asked me first" that says a lot, but I am sure much more will come from him.........son was oh good mum you need to be with your mum.
So the vibes worked, I was expecting a lot of flack...

Thank you everyone......
Not sure what to think about your families comments, I suppose time will tell, and it could have been worse.

I wonder if any will want to go with you...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
It sounds wonderful, very quaint, and your daughter is a prize taking care of all this for you, what part of the country is your little home in?
Colne, Lancashire
http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/...on-guide/colne

The Pubs, when they started to close I thought England was done, its so sad to see some pubs close, I do love to go for a few drinks, a bag of crisps and a good chat, I suppose supermarkets sell beer so cheap that its affected peoples going out habits for the smaller locals, Huhhhh its a shame really as I always figured the pubs were the one thing that would never go out of style, I used to go out to socalise as much as to drink, its just part of British life.
The demise is due to the no smoking laws, methinks. The latest of my locals to disappear had been serving for over 300 years.

http://kenranson.blogspot.com/2010/08/fanny-grey.html

Last edited by Cigi; Aug 8th 2010 at 11:43 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

My first posting here. I just stumble on it today and I have spent too much enjoyable time on here so far.

One thing I found out on here that I wish I hadn't found out and that is because I'm a UKC I don't automatically have medical care until I go through the registration process when I get back.

My wife is a USC and she says I wont like it back there. My response is I wont know unless I try it. I spend too much time on the computer, daily, dreaming. I do that by researching on RIGHTMOVE.COM. mostly.

I also spend a lot of time on UKYankees.com forum which for those of you who don't know it is mostly for Americans that have emigrated or plan on emigrating to the UK. I'm a little older than most of that group so I feel left out sometimes.

I live near Zions National Park and I have no set date to move back to this UK yet but I can live through you all who have done it or who plan on doing it. Good luck.

Some have mentioned the free bus pass. How about free train passes also? This might not be nationwide but there is a discount even if its not free.

Where would I move to? Herefordshire, Scotland (there goes the neighborhood) or Wales. Some have mentioned the Bournemouth area.

I read an earlier post back to 2009 I think and I'm thinking the rules for moving between the two countries are changing daily.

Not mentioned on here but I think the price of property is high in the UK and that is true for rentals especially. The property prices have not fallen like in the US but we will see how the next few years will go. Maybe its the exchange rate that will change.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Colne, Lancashire
http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/...on-guide/colne

The demise is due to the no smoking laws, methinks. The latest of my locals to disappear had been serving for over 300 years.

http://kenranson.blogspot.com/2010/08/fanny-grey.html
It Looks Lovely...

As far as smoking goes, you could be right Im not sure , here in Oregon they predicted bars would go out of business when the smoking ban started, so far all is well, I cant think of any bars around here that have closed, they cater with covered areas for smokers.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
My first posting here. I just stumble on it today and I have spent too much enjoyable time on here so far.

One thing I found out on here that I wish I hadn't found out and that is because I'm a UKC I don't automatically have medical care until I go through the registration process when I get back.

My wife is a USC and she says I wont like it back there. My response is I wont know unless I try it. I spend too much time on the computer, daily, dreaming. I do that by researching on RIGHTMOVE.COM. mostly.

I also spend a lot of time on UKYankees.com forum which for those of you who don't know it is mostly for Americans that have emigrated or plan on emigrating to the UK. I'm a little older than most of that group so I feel left out sometimes.

I live near Zions National Park and I have no set date to move back to this UK yet but I can live through you all who have done it or who plan on doing it. Good luck.

Some have mentioned the free bus pass. How about free train passes also? This might not be nationwide but there is a discount even if its not free.

Where would I move to? Herefordshire, Scotland (there goes the neighborhood) or Wales. Some have mentioned the Bournemouth area.

I read an earlier post back to 2009 I think and I'm thinking the rules for moving between the two countries are changing daily.

Not mentioned on here but I think the price of property is high in the UK and that is true for rentals especially. The property prices have not fallen like in the US but we will see how the next few years will go. Maybe its the exchange rate that will change.
Welcome Cheers... your Wife sounds a tiny bit negative and she could be right, I dont know you, you may not like it, not everyone does, I think there is a lot to be said for some security in life, meaning you wont go broke paying for healthcare.

Let me ask you, has she ever lived in the Uk for a long period of time? Im not picking on her, just curious.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:18 am
Just Joined

It Looks Lovely...
Thank you, it is a nice area with plenty of history. Oh, and there's a chippy in walking distance of the house (of course) LOL
Haworth, home of the Brontes is just over the dean from us and I'm hoping to revisit whilst there.

As far as smoking goes, you could be right Im not sure , here in Oregon they predicted bars would go out of business when the smoking ban started, so far all is well, I cant think of any bars around here that have closed, they cater with covered areas for smokers.
A covered over area in Oregon in December for a smoke = OK

A covered over area in Colne in December for a smoke =

I don't smoke but am sad that a whole way of life is going down the tube because of that law. I think we are all moving towards the "Nanny State" syndrome and are being driven back into our houses instead of getting out and meeting folks.

Sad, innit?

Cigi.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was born in California and she likes all things British especially Sherlock Homes, Inspector Morse and Jayne Austin and all the British series on TV. She hasn't lived in the UK but we have been there many times although not for 7 years now. I think it is for me to do what she wishes because this is the land of her birth. She loves England but the US is were she is from and wants to stay. Make sense?

On healthcare she, DW, had to go into hospital to have her defibrillator replaced and she was in there for one day and the hospital bill was $140,000 and I think the doctors bill was another $60,000. So $200,000 for one day. Thank goodness for Medicare and our supplemental AARP insurance.

Thank you for the welcome!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
My wife was born in California and she likes all things British especially Sherlock Homes, Inspector Morse and Jayne Austin and all the British series on TV. She hasn't lived in the UK but we have been there many times although not for 7 years now. I think it is for me to do what she wishes because this is the land of her birth. She loves England but the US is were she is from and wants to stay. Make sense?

On healthcare she, DW, had to go into hospital to have her defibrillator replaced and she was in there for one day and the hospital bill was $140,000 and I think the doctors bill was another $60,000. So $200,000 for one day. Thank goodness for Medicare and our supplemental AARP insurance.

Thank you for the welcome!
I totally Understand... Yes it makes sense to me... Again Welcome, this is a Great Forum.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:57 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't smoke but am sad that a whole way of life is going down the tube because of that law. I think we are all moving towards the "Nanny State" syndrome and are being driven back into our houses instead of getting out and meeting folks.
I don't think the pub closings have anything to do with that law to be honest (but having watched my dad die a horrible death from lung cancer at a young age, I'm all for nanny states). Personally I think the closing of pubs has a lot more to do with the corporate takeover of pubs, and the resulting increase in prices, than it does to do with that law. I used to work as barmaid while in college and then left England aged 24. Even back then, 21 years ago, some of the landlords who had employed me were getting out of the business. They weren't interested in working for the big corporations who were taking over the industry. They were working longer hours for less money and they just didn't want to do it anymore.

Then the prices of drinks started to go up (no surprise when big business is involved). I was shocked last time I went back at how much they were charging for drinks. It's been a slow decline over many many years.

That said, some pubs are weathering the storm by adapting and providing something new and worthwhile. They're giving people a reason to choose to come out despite the higher costs. Those places give me hope that pubs will make a comeback.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Aug 9th 2010 at 3:00 am.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

First post for a long time and looks like I am too late to wish Denise & Tony Bon Voyage. If you are reading have a wonderful time on the QM 2 and some much needed rest .

Our plans have had a few hiccups and our sale has fallen through. Trying to regroup at the moment and start again. At least we have done lots of packing and have had 3 yard sales.

Have to catch up with so many new posts on here since last time visiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.