Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone has advice on this subject for me, Im going back home for good November 30th after living in US for 36 years, I have just looked at my British Passport and realized that it is only valid till January 2011,
So what do you think should I renew it here in US before I leave (I do have another 4 months before I leave) so I do have time to get the new one back, ---- or should I wait and renew it when I get to England, I will only have 2 months to get that done though if I do it when I get back home,
Not quite sure if its cheaper in England for the renewal fee? or more expensive
Thanks for any help,
Rodney.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone has advice on this subject for me, Im going back home for good November 30th after living in US for 36 years, I have just looked at my British Passport and realized that it is only valid till January 2011,
So what do you think should I renew it here in US before I leave (I do have another 4 months before I leave) so I do have time to get the new one back, ---- or should I wait and renew it when I get to England, I will only have 2 months to get that done though if I do it when I get back home,
Thanks for any help,
Rodney.
I'd wait and do it as soon as you get back seeing it's cheaper, unless you are planning some globe trotting and need it before Christmas.
If your picture looks the same I don't believe you even need the signatures on the back of the picture so you won't need someone who's known you 2 years.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi trottytrue,
Well I kept a partial list of people who have moved back already,

(high speed grandma) who is in Hong kong for 6 months then on to UK,
---- and (salopian) they left July 15th, --- and (Lazy) went back to manchester on June 10th, ---- and (relocateme) returned from Canada to UK on April 5th, --- and of course (DDL Denise) her & UK hubby leaving on July 8 on the QE2 LUCKY THINGS and Magistrate has been home since September 2009, ---- and of course our Ed has been back in Scotland from Canada since September 25th 2009 ---- (and Barb Beedubya) left UK after one year and moved back to Australia on April 1st 2010 family reasons,
And of course Anna who left US for Malta on April 22nd 2010, she is from the North of England and she may eventually move back to UK, --- and (Katy70) leaving real soon, good luck to her,
Those are the only people that I have written down, but I know there are many more,
Has anyone heard how mr & mrs Pastry are doing? havent heard from them in a while,
OK take care trotty,
Rodney.
Thanks for keeping that update, Rodney, very useful!!!! Will be back posting soon I hope
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
Thanks for any help,
Rodney.
I just renewed mine from here and it cost me about $250!!! If you can wait, I'd say wait.

How exciting that your return is getting so close! Is your mum excited?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons...It's never easy but in the end you really have to think 'what do I want' if you stay are you not also settling for less. How does he feel about that. I think most women have this built in thing where they are always ready to give-in for the betterment of the other person. But there does come a time when you have to decide what you really want. Perhaps you would be happier here in the US but if not staying longer would change that. It just gets worse and harder to make that move. One thing I did notice from your posting Sallysimmons..You kept say 'he' where is the 'we'.

You say he is only willing to consider so he hasnt really said he would go back. I think before you go any further you need to get that sorted will he or wont he. Then you can move on.

Relocateme....Many people make the mistake of running away from their problems only to find that they took them with them. If they think things are going to be better in other countries at this time, they are sadly mistaken, money is tight everywhere, jobs are not easy to find and no matter what country they are moving to they will find problems. The atmosphere in most companies is a case of dog eat dog so if you are a newcomer you are at the bottom of the totam pole or as my son often says last in first out. Those who seem to make it the best are those who are going to good paying jobs have moved to a community not unlike the one they left in the UK and dont really have a big pull with family or ties in the UK and a big plus taking plenty of money with them. And that can go pretty quickly. I hope they have done there homework. Now is not the best time but they will find that out when they move.

Derrygal...I do find the British obsession with sun and tans to be strange. I live in NH and when I go outside I do everything to cover up and slap on that sunscreen stick a hat on my head and stay in the shade as much as possible. They seem to spend a fortune to go abroad only to sit on a beach and get a tan. I would find that really boring. I can stand sitting on the beach for about 5minutes then I need to get up and take a walk. Perhaps they havnt heard of skin cancer or think it will never happen to them. Yes and people often ask me where my tan and how come I look so white. Have they ever seen what happens to people who are constantly in the sun. Their skin begins to look like leather when they get older it just so dried out and no amount of skin cream can put the oil back. Who wants that.

Rodney....Thankyou for the list I shall soon be adding your name to it.

Easterndawn..You really made me laugh I am sure it was not funny at the time but all those catastrophies one after the other just put me in mind of 'Fawlty Towers'. You need a medal. Your manager seems to be a nit-wit. Hope things go better this week.

DDL. Thankyou for the list I have also copied it for future reference. Thats if I shall ever need it. Trying my best to keep my spirits up.

For all those back home and feeling depressed don't lose sight of the reason you went back home in the first place and if you think about what your life was like before you left and how unhappy you where that should keep you going. Sometimes I know you must feel like throwing the towel in but it will get better. You just have to persevere. Whats the alternative to return whence you came and start on that merry go around all over again.
I would happily exchange my days of sunshine and boredom for a walk in the rain and friends and relatives to exchange chatter with and not only that just to be able to walk down a street and pop into a shop for a cup of tea and a toast teacake just on my own. That would be a joy. Its those little things that make life worthwhile.
I take my dog for a walk down our road and no one says hello thats if anyone is around, its hot and humid the horse fly's are all around you and at night you have mosquito's to contend with so you can take a walk in the evening unless you want to get bitten to death.
Trotty True, I thought this was a really good post with some wise advice. It is so true that we take our problems with us, you can't run away from yourself, but so many try to do just that. It is very easy to be negative about everything, and very difficult to be positive. Have you noticed how we all can go on and on about what might be wrong with us if we are given an opportunity to do so - like in answer to the question "How are you today?" But when it comes to saying something positive as an answer, we use one word such as "Great!" It's the same with moving to a new or old country. Immediately the negatives rear their ugly head, that's what we focus on. Especially if we expect things to be a certain way. That's what I have tried very hard not to do. I don't have any expectations. When I came to Malta, it was a completely different country for me, and even now, after 3 months, I am still learning its ways. I don't compare it with the UK or the USA, I accept that it is different, and I try and focus on its positive aspects. Of course there are things Ï can find that I don't like. But I am not expecting them to change, the only thing I can change is my own reaction to them. Malta is what it is. As is any other country. So, for all those people who are returning to the UK, or have recently returned, give up the search for Nirvana. You won't find it externally, only internally, within yourself. Just sit down with a cup of tea and be thankful you are wherever you are, alive and healthy. What more do we need?

Trotty True, I know you have tried long and hard to leave the USA and are still trying. I am sure that you will get what you want - when it is time for it, unfortunately that might not coincide with the time you think it should happen. Everything is for a reason, so you too are included in my invitation to sit and enjoy a cup of tea.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely posts ladies, i was feeling a little worried about whether the picture in my mind was as it really is. remember JJ went back recently, he posted on another thread, I asked him to come and post here, i guess all is not quite as the thought but it is really early for them, they only went in June. I hope he comes here to update, he posted in the "is the UK as you remembered it thread" or something like that. Gave me a bit of concern..... but Trotty and Anna, you have put it back in perspective, I mean I live with a UK "hater" my husband...... every time I mention anything UK he has a negative reply, i avoid all chat of UK now if I can. Its horrible to live with some one who has such a blinkered view, you know we have been here 13 years now, owe more on our house than it is worth, have no savings.......no holidays....... I drive a car with no AC and I think it is frowned on in our neighbourhood........ might be described as a piece of junk!
We can not afford a loan for a newer model for me...........and this was the land of plenty according to my husband 13 years ago, i had a better car in the UK, not that I am basing everything on a vehicle, just using that as an example......sorry feeling like ranting today........i wanna go home
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Lovely posts ladies, i was feeling a little worried about whether the picture in my mind was as it really is. remember JJ went back recently, he posted on another thread, I asked him to come and post here, i guess all is not quite as the thought but it is really early for them, they only went in June. I hope he comes here to update, he posted in the "is the UK as you remembered it thread" or something like that. Gave me a bit of concern..... but Trotty and Anna, you have put it back in perspective, I mean I live with a UK "hater" my husband...... every time I mention anything UK he has a negative reply, i avoid all chat of UK now if I can. Its horrible to live with some one who has such a blinkered view, you know we have been here 13 years now, owe more on our house than it is worth, have no savings.......no holidays....... I drive a car with no AC and I think it is frowned on in our neighbourhood........ might be described as a piece of junk!
We can not afford a loan for a newer model for me...........and this was the land of plenty according to my husband 13 years ago, i had a better car in the UK, not that I am basing everything on a vehicle, just using that as an example......sorry feeling like ranting today........i wanna go home
I WANNA GO HOME - You said it all in 4 words. So now squeeze your eyes tight shut and SEE it happening. Keep doing that as often as you can remember to, every hour of the day, until it comes true. Then remember, you get what you ask for, as well as everything else you didn't ask for!!! But that's OK too.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
I WANNA GO HOME - You said it all in 4 words. So now squeeze your eyes tight shut and SEE it happening.
Don't forget the heelclicking.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hust a little bit of nonsense, my husband and I were in the beautiful old City of Killkenny today and what did we encounter but a full blown authentic NYPD police car, it really was the real thing, thought I was seeing things. Turns out it is a security company using them Thought I was back in the states
Denise
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper 123 I am looking at renewing my UK passport. In US I know last time looked about $232 dollars. On the UK gov site would be about 77 quid. So I am renewing when go to UK.. I think if you go online you can call and make an apointment which you may want to do so when you return it will all be setup..
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

cybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

I really don't have a lot of time to write on here but I do pop in and read the posts whenever I can. Everyone is still encouraging I find and my mind is still made up to move back to the UK next year. One thing is bothering me - has anyone taken any pets back to the UK with them? I am well up on the rules and regulations and I have them in place for the rabies shots and testing so my little darlings can travel and enter with me and not have to go into quarantine. What is bothering me is the actual flight. Has anyone any experience of taking animals, preferably dogs, on a flight into the UK. This would be from Australia and I find the flight horrendous enough and I am worried how they will hold up. Any advice anyone? The thing is, they are coming anyway but whatever I am able to do to make it more tolerable for them, then obviously I will do.

Thanks everyone for all your postings as i previously said I don't have a lot of time to actually comment on anyone's posting but I do read them all (mostly!)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:40 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that probably the longer you have been away from the UK, the more difficult it will be to go back home. We've only been away for 5 1/2 years and have made 3 or 4 trips back during that time so for us, we hope we still have a good handle on the way things are. Lately we have been talking more and more (psyching ourselves up as it were) about the negative things we know we will be encountering. Not moaning about them, just reminding ourselves that they are coming. We have also tried to be open and honest about the things we will miss from our life here in the States. We know what those things are and we verbalize them to each other. And, to be honest, even with only 5 more days to go before we set sail: there are times we still think to ourselves that we are mad to be leaving all this behind. But I think these are all good, healthy, honest, natural feelings.

At the end of the day, we can only do what we feel is right at the time. If for whatever reason(s) things go terribly pear-shaped for us, we regroup and start again.

We are brave. We are strong. We are the expats of the world!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Denise, 5 days wow! All those thoughts you have natural...... yes we will miss the ease of things here and so many other things..... and as long as you are ready and prepared for that, it will be okay in the end.
And what ever we do it does not have to be final, we must remember that, yes hardship may follow if we want to return say to the US but at least we will not have wasted our lives wondering......
You must be very excited, good luck with everything.

Cybernoddy, I brought our dog over here to the USA and it was only 7 hour flight, but the only thing I can suggest and maybe you could start your own thread to get other suggestions, we sedated our dog and in hindsight I dont know if it was best because, she ended up having a sore spot where she lay because although we put her own blankie in there, we just never thought about that she may just lay in one spot, which is what we think she did. we felt so bad when we got her out her tranpsort box, it was big so she had plenty of room, but we forgot to put in a thick padded bed for her, we just put her blanket in, we had always allowed her on the settee at home so it was the cover we used, well of course it was no where near comfy enough for her...... felt so bad, so my advice remember a thick padded bed.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Denise I had a big clear out over the past week and when my sons came I had a box full of some of their stuff, things my Mother had sent them over the years and books and stuffed animals, they turned their noses up at the lot and the only interest was in items they thought they could sell on ebay. So keeping all the sentimental stuff is a waste of time and space. On saying that I do have all the cards sent to me when I had my children and birthday cards sent to them. I have decided to decoupage some boxes with the cards and I am in the middle of making myself scrapbooks of all the the school stuff and sentimental items I just cannot throw away.
I took a hardbacked binder and put all the letter I have recieved over the 30years I have been away. They are so interesting to read. Many of those writing the letter have died so its a way of being able to keep a piece of them with me.
Yes Trotty I have also lots of letters over the years from my Mum & Dad when I was living in Canada and to all the addresses I have lived in USA, my Dad passed away in 1989,
And also I have a stack of letters from Australia from my beloved Theresa, my fiance way back then in the 60,s our plan was I go back to England first and get a Job and a flat and she would follow in 6 months but her mother stopped her from coming over to England to marry me cause she felt her Daughter was too young --- only 18 at the time, I was 24, So I like you could never part with all these letters, sometimes I like to just go through them and read them, it brings back memories,
Rodney.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:47 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Hello Denise, glad I got on just in time to wish you bon voyage - we had always hoped to cruise back but it didn't work out for us.

Well, we have been back in England from NC USA nearly 8 weeks and it has been a mixed bag.
Oddly we find ourselves not comparing here to 'there', they are two different places, two different lives.
In 2 weeks from now we commence moving into our own home and that will remove a lot of the stress of being unsettled.

We have met some nice people and some obnoxious people, just like every where else in the world.

The Inland Revenue Office and local Council Office were our biggest fears of potential bureaucracy - yet turned out to be helpful, even pleasant interactions and simple transactions of setting up Council Tax for our new home, Voters Registration (important in the establishment of 'history' in order to eventually qualify for a Credit Card). Our Bus Passes are due to arrive in a few days , available for free travel to anyone born before 1950 !!

NatWest Bank offshore had told us it would be easy to simply move our savings account to a High St. branch but it wasn't the case, we would have had to open a new NatWest A/C and go through it seemed a difficult transfer process - so we instead went to Lloyds where they seemed less difficult to deal with. They sent us a Cheque Book, Pin&Chip Debit card after a few days even with nothing yet deposited in the A/C.

Driving behaviour is as bad here as anywhere else in the world.

US sized long envelopes are 1 mm too long to suit the Royal Mail so after making a big deal of the matter the PO counter lady did fold over and tape down the envelope end for us so the letter could go that day.

The fresh food is fantastic.
We have not found a good substitute for Chef Boyardi Ravioli (not that we eat it much but remember we are camping in a caravan at present so we are not inclined to be adventurous in our meals preparation)
Beer and Cider is fantastic, as are Fish &Chips and meat pies and sausages etc etc. Kippers are only 50p each.

Customer service is really bad, plenty of apologies for sure by smiling powerless people. Take Argos for instance, you make a selection in their catalog, phone or go into store to obtain your choice and they don't have it and can't tell you when they will have it if ever. Similar with DIY stores and Curry's etc.

We are sometimes (often) in a dark mood as we negotiate difficulties, some days worse than others, but a long walk through the local countryside elevates our spirits, especially now we have a date to move into our own home.
Sometimes it feels like we are foreigners in our own land, almost as if we have been in a coma for 18 yrs and have awoken in a new and different world.
Eventually the difficulties will become less as we have less needs
Soon life will be back on an even keel, as we move more into the way we want to lead our lives here and disregard the stuff that gets our backs up.
Sometimes it feels that we have jumped off the top of a very scenic cliff and are flapping our arms madly to get into a glide before we hit bottom. We won't give up flapping although our arms ache and one day we will be on top of another scenic peak.
UK is our home now for the forseeable future. We can't wait to get the hurdles behind us and have time to relax and start traveling out and about.

Best wishes to all my friends here, old and new. May your dreams come true.

June

Last edited by J.J; Aug 3rd 2010 at 7:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.