Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I had coffee with trotty today, what a wonderful lady......And yes trotty I ate the custard pie before you ask.......
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney...Thankyou for the advice we are looking into further information on this all very complicated as someone told my husband today that we can take all the money with us.

Lestergirl.....I am so happy that you ate the custard pie now you dont have to worry that someone else will eat it.

I am really happy to have met Lestergirl she is really nice and I am only sorry I didnt meet her years ago. We get on so well.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY CANADA DAY, to everyone who is still living in Maple Leaf Land.

The weather here has changed and is very windy today and looks like rain. The markets are full of local produce, fresh peas, mushrooms, local new potatoes and wonderfull sweet strawberries, all selling at very good prices. The roses are blooming with huge flowers, I don't think I can remember them looking so beautiful back in Canada as they do here.
In the month of June I worked a total of 220hrs, seemed like I never left the place, but the money is definetly needed as I only get paid once a month so haven't had a cheque in over a month now. Hopefully taxes and insurance do not eat up most of it.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
HAPPY CANADA DAY, to everyone who is still living in Maple Leaf Land.

The weather here has changed and is very windy today and looks like rain. The markets are full of local produce, fresh peas, mushrooms, local new potatoes and wonderfull sweet strawberries, all selling at very good prices. The roses are blooming with huge flowers, I don't think I can remember them looking so beautiful back in Canada as they do here.
In the month of June I worked a total of 220hrs, seemed like I never left the place, but the money is definetly needed as I only get paid once a month so haven't had a cheque in over a month now. Hopefully taxes and insurance do not eat up most of it.
Thanks, ED, for the Canada Day wishes. Still in Toronto but wish I wasnt! Love reading of your progress and especially how you are settling in, and your observations of life in the UK - you have come so far, had more than your fair share of setbacks, yet you persevered and now look at you!
When hubby arrives its going to be like a second honeymoon! Then its ok if you dont post for a while
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn... Love your postings good and bad they have really given us all an insight into what to expect when we return home. Especially those returning on a shoestring. Thankyou for keeping us informed.

When ED's hubby arrives we will not hear from her for months she will be busy
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Keep your fingers crossed the house is back on the market, hopefully it will sell. This is the third time and its with Century 21. Call it coincidence but our first house in California was sold through Century 21 and our sencond house in Rhode Island was sold through Century 21. So here we are our third house and the third selling though 21 Lets hope thats lucky
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Keep your fingers crossed the house is back on the market, hopefully it will sell. This is the third time and its with Century 21. Call it coincidence but our first house in California was sold through Century 21 and our sencond house in Rhode Island was sold through Century 21. So here we are our third house and the third selling though 21 Lets hope thats lucky
Good luck to you TT. Hope it sells and you can start making some plans.

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:38 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn... Love your postings good and bad they have really given us all an insight into what to expect when we return home. Especially those returning on a shoestring. Thankyou for keeping us informed.

When ED's hubby arrives we will not hear from her for months she will be busy
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:31 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi J.J.
When the US post office forwards your mail to your UK address do they charge you for any additional postage?
That sounds a great way to receive your mail, just leave it to the US post office, I wonder how long they do it for --- I think its only one year though,
Correct, No charge, it just comes with the new address on a sticker. Yes, it is for 1 year, after that they return to sender. I figure by 1 year I will have been able to contact everyone (that matters) sending mail to me.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

What I need to know is when we take the money from the sale of the house to the UK will the US government want us to pay tax on it. As we will not be staying in the US do they have different rules.
As I see it, if your house is in US and you are resident in US when you sell it then you get US Tax Allowance of up $250,000 capital gains (per individual - 2x for couple) and this is not liable for US tax. Once that money is in your hands it is legal income in the USA, same as if you earned it from a job.
As I see it the UK HMRC would not have any interest in the source of the money re: taxation because you were not UK resident when you earned it.

Upon transfer of the money by the method of your choice, it has been my experience that the receiving UK bank where you deposit the money usually ask for a declaration of its origin: e.g earnings, savings - this is their due diligence in the fight against money laundering.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Trotty
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks so much, how is it over there in WA? I saw your previous post where you weren't all that impressed LOL!! Now you know why SOME of us Antipodeans want to go back home.......
Well to answer your question Bee, I can see it might get very boring after a year or two of living here...Great beachesthough, then going inland miles of housing along its coasts, many new developments. Once past the houses the land changes into scrub, gorse and thousands of dead trees. The area I am in is great if you love looking at housing and homes..with dead peeling trees

All my outings have been to a different beach at which we do not venture on the sand
The other day I paid $14 for two coffees and two muffins in Perth centre..
Get me back on Emirates..the best bit of my holiday so far
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:41 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Sending mega Century 21 karma your way, Trotty!!!

We have a showing on our house this morning. It's only the second showing since we listed it with a realtor (about a month ago), but hey ho -
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

Hello all :-)

Well I booked my ticket for a visit to the UK. I fly on Sept 4th, returning on Sept 13th.

Been here in the States since 1995 and although I'm a way off retirement age (56) we plan on returning to the UK when the time comes.
My wife inherited a tiny house when her Dad passed away shortly before Christmas of last year and we plan on renting it out and have my daughter run things for us. We did consider selling it but the market is so depressed at the moment keeping it seemed a better move.
Then, having thought about it, the idea of retiring there seemed to get more and more appealing. I have 26 years of NI contributions which I'm looking into topping up to 30 years if possible so I'd get a full pension.
My wife has a small index linked pension to come from her years working for the Civil Service plus what we can scrape together from our house sale here and other bits and pieces, perhaps we could manage?

Anyroad, I'm hoping to hang around this thread and pick up any useful info that's available and perhaps share with you anything I learn too.

Cigi.

Last edited by Cigi; Jul 2nd 2010 at 3:16 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cigi
Hello all :-)

Well I booked my ticket for a visit to the UK. I fly on Sept 4th, returning on Sept 13th.

Been here in the States since 1995 and although I'm a way off retirement age (56) we plan on returning to the UK when the time comes.
My wife inherited a tiny house when her Dad passed away shortly before Christmas of last year and we plan on renting it out and have my daughter run things for us. We did consider selling it but the market is so depressed at the moment keeping it seemed a better move.
Then, having thought about it, the idea of retiring there seemed to get more and more appealing. I have 26 years of NI contributions which I'm looking into topping up to 30 years if possible so I'd get a full pension.
My wife has a small index linked pension to come from her years working for the Civil Service plus what we can scrape together from our house sale here and other bits and pieces, perhaps we could manage?

Anyroad, I'm hoping to hang around this thread and pick up any useful info that's available and perhaps share with you anything I learn too.

Cigi.
Welcome Cigi! This is an awesome thread that we all greatly benefit from. I just love all of the daily updates on how everyone is doing. You will certainly gather a lot of information from all these wonderful folks on here. Good luck with your move back home when the time comes. Sounds like a great setup you will have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.