Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by fulwood
Marmalade, we are kind of in same boat, I worked only like 2-3 years and have been in US ever since 1984. Now 48. Do you have your NI number? How do I get it and I didn't see an address or link where you can request pension forecast? It would be interesting.. I don't know at this stage if I will move ot UK for good. Need to give a 1 year trial period but the info of pension etc would be nice to check on.. good luck..
Here is where I looked:

www.direct.gov.uk

When you get there, just type in "State Pension Forecast" on the search bar to the right.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

thanks. will you be in edinburgh during august at all? be nice to meet you if you around..
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for info just looked at it and need my NI number so going to take care of that first..
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I was told the windfall reductions in your US Social security pension was only if you were a state/federal worker where they do something weird with the SS money, something to do with no taxes and so they take the windfall money if they have other pensions. Not for ordinary folk who worked in other jobs. Now I'm not so sure
Dh has his teamster pension at 65 and full social security, nice to know if anything happened to him, that I'd get mine based on his earnings, seeing I'd only collect enough to bet milk and the Sunday paper on my own
I did find out that I could add my meager US social security payments to my meager UK OAP to make a bigger one paid in the UK, they have some agreement.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Happy Birthday Rodney Not long now till your trip home

Mrs Sully Hope all went well with the mammogram

NoLimits...My family live in Penwortham and one of my friends lives in Bretherton.

Aces 1. The food sounds wonderful I am in favour of small amounts of good food. You sound really relaxed.

Easterndawn. So happy to hear you started your new job, always a little difficult to begin with but sounds like you will be fine. Hope your hubby is doing well.

Lestagirl just lives a couple of miles from me we are going meet for coffee.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rodney USA --- 65 today --- my Birthday June 7th 1945
Happy Birthday Rodney, hope you are having/have had, a great day with a few glasses of bubbly too
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:53 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I was told the windfall reductions in your US Social security pension was only if you were a state/federal worker where they do something weird with the SS money, something to do with no taxes and so they take the windfall money if they have other pensions. Not for ordinary folk who worked in other jobs. Now I'm not so sure
Mummy, As I read the WEP rules you are right on, doesn't affect those ordinary people with ordinary Tax/Medicare/whatever else deductions - but those same US SS deductions also did not come out of your UK wages when you got a pay check over there, hence your (UK) pension falls within the rules of WEP reductions.

I would welcome anyone able to prove me wrong in my interpretation.

Ronald Reagan signed WEP into law to
a) reduce the spending of federal money to recipients who are 'lucky' enough to get an additional pension from a salary that did not pay into US SS and so
b) preserve more of the 'kitty' for those who get only a US SS pension.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:05 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

A belated Happy Birthday wish to you Rodney! I'm going to pass on the and the and instead have a nice piece of and a cup of tea in your honor!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:29 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Some more information regarding UK Sheltered Housing:

Back in May, I sent in a UK Sheltered Housing application to HOUSING 21, a housing scheme personally recommended to me by the UK Sheltered Housing Secretary.

Today - via email - I received an Acceptance Letter from them which essentially places us on a waiting list for the 4 properties that we listed on our application (Hampshire, Wiltshire, Somerset, and Dorset).

The Directory that was mailed to us did not contain a lot of schemes in the Age 55+ category, but it did list some - and we made our 4 choices based on the criteria my husband and I have determined important to us in our search for accommodation/jobs in the UK.

I don't have a clue what the waiting period is, what the process is once a property is offered to you, etc., but I plan on ringing them tomorrow to get the answers so that we can know what to expect WHEN the time comes.

To give you a frame of reference - bearing in mind that these properties are certainly not The Ritz!! - weekly rentals on the 4 properties we chose range from a low of £69.41/week to a high of
£120.20 per week.

Again, this might be an option for others here. Some places are really cute; some are not. If you search the properties and find one that you like, use Google web, maps, streetview, etc., to find out as much as you can about the property.

The Housing 21 website Sheltered Housing WHO CAN APPLY page states:
Anyone over 55 whether you rent or own your present home or whether you are retired or still working.

Here's their website: http://www.housing21.co.uk/housing/sheltered

P.S. They have lettings and leaseholds.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:23 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Belated Happy Birthday Rodney .Trotty ,I lived in Penwortham age 3 to 20 .it was a lovely village back then
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
Watch for USA's IRS 'Windfall Elimination Plan' aka WEP when figuring a UK + US SS combined pension income when you are a USC.
In a nutshell, your US SS will be reduced by $0.50 for every $1 pension that was built from salary that did not contribute to US SS, but deductions are limited to no more than $xx (I forget the limit)
This applies not only to us USC with foreign pensions no matter where we may live in retirement, but also applies to born USC's that get a pension from non-SS contributing, - e.g. teachers I hear.
Consider taking US SS first and defer the UK for a while, then you would receive the full US until you started the UK pension. Needs a bit of figuring but could be a useful ploy, depends on circumstances of course.
Cheers,
Getting too complicated!!!! I will need all and any pension I can get, as soon as I am eligible - and figuring that I am living in the NOW, I refuse to worry about it any more. Life is too short...........
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Some more information regarding UK Sheltered Housing:

Back in May, I sent in a UK Sheltered Housing application to HOUSING 21, a housing scheme personally recommended to me by the UK Sheltered Housing Secretary.

Today - via email - I received an Acceptance Letter from them which essentially places us on a waiting list for the 4 properties that we listed on our application (Hampshire, Wiltshire, Somerset, and Dorset).

The Directory that was mailed to us did not contain a lot of schemes in the Age 55+ category, but it did list some - and we made our 4 choices based on the criteria my husband and I have determined important to us in our search for accommodation/jobs in the UK.

I don't have a clue what the waiting period is, what the process is once a property is offered to you, etc., but I plan on ringing them tomorrow to get the answers so that we can know what to expect WHEN the time comes.

To give you a frame of reference - bearing in mind that these properties are certainly not The Ritz!! - weekly rentals on the 4 properties we chose range from a low of £69.41/week to a high of
£120.20 per week.

Again, this might be an option for others here. Some places are really cute; some are not. If you search the properties and find one that you like, use Google web, maps, streetview, etc., to find out as much as you can about the property.

The Housing 21 website Sheltered Housing WHO CAN APPLY page states:
Anyone over 55 whether you rent or own your present home or whether you are retired or still working.

Here's their website: http://www.housing21.co.uk/housing/sheltered

P.S. They have lettings and leaseholds.
Denise, I downloaded the application form for future reference. Questions for you though: What info did you give for current address? USA or one in the UK? When did you say you needed a place? Immediately or some arbitrary future date? Did you give previous addresses in the USA? Please keep us all updated on what you find out after you call in.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Getting too complicated!!!! I will need all and any pension I can get, as soon as I am eligible - and figuring that I am living in the NOW, I refuse to worry about it any more. Life is too short...........
Have you been reading Eckhart Tolle???
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
thanks. will you be in edinburgh during august at all? be nice to meet you if you around..
No, it won't be August, looks like July for now. Have to be back here in August as I am a teacher, and need to get things ready for school.

Maybe we could meet up some other time when I'm over
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Have you been reading Eckhart Tolle???
I have read him in the past, along with numerous others, and I have taught mindful meditation, etc etc. So easy to do for others, so hard to do for yourself.

However, I think I have made great steps forward by coming to Malta. I certainly experienced that this morning. I have just returned from a HUGE adventure. I have been experiencing some very minor, yet annoying abdominal 'pains' the last couple of weeks. Not really pains, but, my being acutely aware of anything not quite in balance in my body, through having to be my own doctor in the US with no health insurance - I thought it time to seek other advice than my own. So off I set this morning to walk to the nearest health clinic here, not knowing at all what to expect. I was asked for my ID # (could have given passport but I have a Maltese ID card now), and nothing else but name, etc. No mention of money or insurance I was given a number and told to find the person with the number before mine in the waiting room. Lots of people, no appointments made, just like in the UK, but no numbers being called out, hence the need to ask someone! I sat down comfortably next to Mr 28 (I was 29) and opened my Maltese language book (time I learned!!) prepared for the long haul. Of course it was, but fascinating watching the Maltese people around me in the same predicament of not knowing whose number was up, etc, and the doctor walking out mid way through, finally to be replaced by a different doctor about 5 minutes later. What struck me was that nobody seemed to have anything contagious - no sniffles, coughs, just people looking like me with some complaint invisible to the naked eye. Finally it was my turn. A lady doctor, very nice. I told her my problem, she had me lie down to examine my abdomen. Then she told me I have a very strong abdominal pulse (not good!!!). That it might be because I am very thin (matter for debate!) but she was concerned I may have a slow leaking aortal aneurism, which, if it ruptured, was an emergency requiring immediate surgery. Therefore, she wanted to send me to the hospital for at once for an ultrasound. So there I was, now thinking I am about to die or at very least have major surgery, all on my own in Malta. Didn't even think I had any phone numbers to call anyone. The doctor sent for the ambulance. In that waiting period (we are now about 3 hours in to my 'visit to the doctor', I had time to think. So, what if I do die, at least I am in a beautiful country, happy to be here. And if I have to have an op, at least it won't cost me. I was amazed at how resigned I was to all of this, and able to stay much more in the NOW than I ever could imagine. Of course I had to run through the scenario of how to get clothes to the hospital (if I survived), when my flat was locked, did I have the landlord's number etc??? I did send a text to my sister in the UK saying I was being sent to the hospital... fat good that did, still haven't had a reply to it now I am home again! The ambulance finally came, I walked into the hospital, refusing the wheelchair, was asked if I lived in Malta (that was all), then taken into a cubicle. I was given an ECG (normal), bp taken (normal) and examined. The emergency physician thought my ab pulse was strong just because I was thin (again my debate!) but sent me for an ultrasound anyway. Another wait. But I expected that, after all, it's a hospital. I was pushed to the ultrasound in a wheelchair. Apparently my aortal walls are fine, nothing wrong with liver, gallbladder, kidneys or spleen. Time to go home with verdict my 'pains' must be muscular. Cost of it all? Nothing I am aware of. Cost of my relief? Priceless. Then I had to ask for bus fare (came out walking with no money this morning) to get home. Doctor gave me 2 euros out of her own pocket.

I love Malta. I love its health system as much as the NH.
Lesson learned: Don't leave home without busfare!!! And my 'pains', well back to my experiment, buy bottled water, monitor what I am eating. At least I now what I DON'T have wrong with me!!!! Life is Beautiful, enjoy the NOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.