Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 2nd 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
No David dont wait too long cause a lot of people on this thread have been through a very frustrating time in waiting sooo long for the spouse visa,
I think Lara & Husband just got real lucky, and Im very happy for them too, yours may go just as fast --- but you never know,
Anyway glad you joined the group,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS I was so suprised and happy that my US citizenship application for me came through so very fast, from start to finish it took only just over 2 months,
Thanks very much Rodney... I will definitely take your advice on that. I am sure the visas don't all get issued that promptly.

Not long now before you go home...the time will go quickly I'm sure.
Cheers, David
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:19 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've been reading this thread for about a month now. Feel as though it's "time to come out"

I think this thread is really unlike any other I've found on BE (or anywhere else on the web for that matter). The conversational flow of it has allowed me to "get to know" the participants. And more importantly IMO it sheds light on a lot of the emotional aspects of the move.

So by way of introduction, my name is Rebecca and I am the US Citizen. My husband, Wesley, is from Northern Ireland and he has been living here with me in the US for almost five years. I am 52; he is 46.

Because a move for us in not imminent (we are looking approximately 2 years down the road) I will mostly continue to read this thread rather than write in it (other than to offer encouragement and emotional support, of course).

If I could impose on thread participants, there is one question I would like to ask. How do you make the decision to leave elderly parents behind?

I've followed Rodney's joy at being reunited with his Mother once he gets back to the UK. Unless I've overlooked it, otherwise I don't see much discussion of the opposite situation - leaving elderly parents behind. Maybe most of the participants in this thread have already lost their parents?

If anyone has insight, I would appreciate it. After my son graduates from Uni next year and gets himself established in the US, my parents are the only emotional tie which binds us to the US.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Its very hard- my hubby and I have lost his parents and my Mum since we have been in Canada. I am going back to see my Dad in November (last time I saw him was when I came back to UK for my Mums funeral). He won't come over to visit me in Canada....

You never think of your parents getting old, so its quite a shock really....

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Well, I've been reading this thread for about a month now. Feel as though it's "time to come out"

I think this thread is really unlike any other I've found on BE (or anywhere else on the web for that matter). The conversational flow of it has allowed me to "get to know" the participants. And more importantly IMO it sheds light on a lot of the emotional aspects of the move.

So by way of introduction, my name is Rebecca and I am the US Citizen. My husband, Wesley, is from Northern Ireland and he has been living here with me in the US for almost five years. I am 52; he is 46.

Because a move for us in not imminent (we are looking approximately 2 years down the road) I will mostly continue to read this thread rather than write in it (other than to offer encouragement and emotional support, of course).

If I could impose on thread participants, there is one question I would like to ask. How do you make the decision to leave elderly parents behind?

I've followed Rodney's joy at being reunited with his Mother once he gets back to the UK. Unless I've overlooked it, otherwise I don't see much discussion of the opposite situation - leaving elderly parents behind. Maybe most of the participants in this thread have already lost their parents?

If anyone has insight, I would appreciate it. After my son graduates from Uni next year and gets himself established in the US, my parents are the only emotional tie which binds us to the US.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello everyone. Its been a while since I posted but I think you are doing fine and this thread does very well. I think I told you all I had a bad tummy bug. Well I didnt know how bad till I ended up in hospital because I just couldnt keep anything in at either end They put me on a drip for a day and then I was sent home but was told not to take anything to control the runs as I needed to get it out of my system. The type of virus I had was the one people get who go on cruises. Hmmm not been near a ship Its taken a while and the odd thing is I am left with a cough. Which I cannot get rid of. Still I feel much better.
I have not been back to read up on everyone I see that Rodney is back and on his way home thankgoodness
ED. Is the new flat near your work.
To everyone else good luck on going home.
Oh I forgot in between being sick I became an American Citizen. I have not told my relatives back home But it does ease the pressure in case I ever need to come back I will just have two passports.
Hope you are soon feeling tip top TT Nice to see you back.

Barb
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Thanks Rodney.... Yes everythin gis going VERY well so far-I know its going to be hard-but it feels right-funny isn't it!
It's like putting on an old comfy pair of slippers...........
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Hi Rebecca and hubby, you will find this the most caring and supportive thread!! So welcome and do chip in with any questions.

When you emigrate or marry somebody from another country it is always going to be hard. Somebody is going to be left behind somewhere, children, parents, family of all kinds........it is extremely hard being the "leaver" and just as hard for the people left behind.

All you can do is what you think is right at the time, but unless your whole family moves or lives in the same country and you have ABSOLUTELY no ties to the other country then there are no winners.

Some of us have had to make decisions and compromises, but we will always be torn between two loves.

Sad fact of life..........

Last edited by Beedubya; May 2nd 2010 at 11:11 pm.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband was off sick last year here in the US the company he worked for had long term and short term disability. They paid a cetain amount and then he got money from the unsurance he paid into.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us left our parents behind in the UK when we left. If we'd stayed we would always be wondering 'what if' and maybe resented them for staying. Leaving them behind...I think for most of us there will always be guilt.

In the last year I have lost my father, my father in law and my mother...and it is very, very hard but I don't know that it would have been any easier had we still lived in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

This time, next Sunday we will be mid-flight - I must admit that this evening, even though I am so excited to seeing family, my sons (its been almost three and half years since I saw my sons and my grandchildren (I have one now that is just a few weeks old) - and for the first time over the last few months I felt a little apprehensive.

When we arrive on home ground, we will have basically about 1,000 pounds in our pockets and 15 boxes filled with just over 6 years' worth of ... memories and "stuff" on their way to us. I think I have a little panic going on here!! the "what if's"!! ... what if my daughter hates school there ... what if there are bullies in the school ... what if she struggles there with schoolwork ... what if I can't get work ... Im 53 ... it's going to be harder to find work ... (How the heck am I 53 anyway?? that crept up suddenly!! I shouldnt even be on the 50's 60's thread!!)

I need to go to bed and get some sleep - I'll be fine tomorrow - just rambling the way I do ..
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
This time, next Sunday we will be mid-flight - I must admit that this evening, even though I am so excited to seeing family, my sons (its been almost three and half years since I saw my sons and my grandchildren (I have one now that is just a few weeks old) - and for the first time over the last few months I felt a little apprehensive.

When we arrive on home ground, we will have basically about 1,000 pounds in our pockets and 15 boxes filled with just over 6 years' worth of ... memories and "stuff" on their way to us. I think I have a little panic going on here!! the "what if's"!! ... what if my daughter hates school there ... what if there are bullies in the school ... what if she struggles there with schoolwork ... what if I can't get work ... Im 53 ... it's going to be harder to find work ... (How the heck am I 53 anyway?? that crept up suddenly!! I shouldnt even be on the 50's 60's thread!!)

I need to go to bed and get some sleep - I'll be fine tomorrow - just rambling the way I do ..
My Dear Lara, I can definetly relate to where you are emmotionally at this moment. Although I did not have kids to worry about when I arrived, I arrived with £1,500.00 in my pocket, a friend I had met through the internet to stay with (although I did have to pay £80.00 per week) and two suitcases and lots of emmotions. I think the panic started to creap in after I had finally come out of the jet lag fog. I fully expected and had planned to get employment within weeks of arriving, except it took months and unfortunately I took the first position that was offered to me. Which has turned out to be a complete nightmare. I am still trying to find my way and I find it difficult to talk with friends that I have met since I arrived as they have no way of understanding what drives you to come back to your homeland, or why you would leave your husband, kids, and grandchildren to live here, therefore you add the loneliness to the other things that you are enduring. It has been a very long and difficult 7 months and there are times when I feel almost like giving up.

I have a long list of regrets in my life, I regret trusting a company with the money that I worked long and hard to accumulate and who with greed and no thought to those they left in their wake, stole all from us. I regret when we sold the business and house in Western Canada we did not come to UK then and instead purchased a house in P.E.I. and investing our money in that company. I regret leaving my husband of twenty years back in Canada, the list is long and complicated but the one thing I do not regret is coming back to Scotland.

You are much luckier than I, you have your family here, your husband and children will be with you to support you. Just remember at the end of the "honeymoon period", you will feel deflated and empty, but remember you will have everything that means everything to you, with you. So good luck, you will be fine.

Last edited by Easterndawn; May 3rd 2010 at 6:41 am.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Eastern Dawn (Peigi) I have just read your last post and it made me cry, you have given up so much to acheive your dream, I truly...with all my heart...hope your circumstances change for the better soon. I have thought about you many times during these last few months and have spoken with my husband about your struggle: most of all, I have to say that I know now that I could never go back on my own without my husband by my side to help me, I just do not have your strength. Our financial situation is pretty dire and, unless we have some luck, may never allow me to come home.

Hang in there and know that many people on this forum think, and pray, for your well being and success, often. Elizabeth
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Eastern Dawn (Peigi) I have just read your last post and it made me cry, you have given up so much to acheive your dream, I truly...with all my heart...hope your circumstances change for the better soon. I have thought about you many times during these last few months and have spoken with my husband about your struggle: most of all, I have to say that I know now that I could never go back on my own without my husband by my side to help me, I just do not have your strength. Our financial situation is pretty dire and, unless we have some luck, may never allow me to come home.

Hang in there and know that many people on this forum think, and pray, for your well being and success, often. Elizabeth
Thank you Elizabeth for your kind thoughts and to all the others who have urged me on, have listened to my problems and have supported me in the past months.
Today is a bad day for me, not sure if it is the thought of another day of the verbal abuse that is flung at me from a certain manager or the fact that my wedding anniversary is coming up this month, so please forgive the self centeredness and feeling sorry for myself.
My God and I have little conversations through out the day and I do realize that I am very lucky to be where I do not have to worry about not having food, that health care is available at no cost, that I don't have to worry about bombs going off, or that my children and grandchildren are going to be abducted and killed, that my health is still reasonable good and that I have good friends both here on the forum and here in Scotland.
Well better get ready for work, hope everyone has a brilliant day and that all your dreams come true.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Rebecajo...

Its nice to see you come out and say hello, I wonder how many others there are lurking around, I was a lurker too, then one day I had things I just had to say.

Parents, Its a great question, we all have a similar but different situations, here's mine.

The writing was on the wall for me many years ago, I saw stories of people going medically bankrupt over 20 years ago, that was all I needed to convince me to leave, My heart was still in England anyway.
I was planning my second emigration attempt 10 years ago, then I couldn't leave as I saw my Mum wasn't well, so I stuck around and helped take car of her, she passed away a year ago, then I was left with My Dad, I was thinking he might make it another eight to ten years so I was hoping to convince him to come with us, then all of a sudden he passed away, Now I'm faced with selling his home and mine too at some point, its a long job, I'm already into it over 6 months and only a hand full of lookers, lots of work and worries, meanwhile I hope I don't get sick and go broke in the process, I've already lost value in my home which exceeds what I will get from my parenst estate.

So I couldn't do what you are asking, at least I couldn't leave a sick parent, I did leave them when they were 62 but there was other family around to help them at that time, hopefully you have some family to help take care of your parents, even if not you should do what your heart tells you to do, or take care of Number one so to speak, My Dad left the UK and his mother when she was 65 but she also had other family to help, still it was a shock to her, he moved us here for a what he thought would be a better life for us all, and yes some of my family are happy here, it just wasn't for me, to be perfectly honest with you I will hate leaving my two sisters and their American families but as I see it its leave or deal with the chance of losing everything I've worked for all my life, I feel that my wife has given up a lot for me and my family, I think I owe her a better life with some security and I feel that England offers that.

I too have doubts in the back of my mind like others have mentioned in the last day or so, but that is normal thinking, maybe its a good thing, lets face it my plans could go belly up, Nobody knows what is around the corner or what's in store for tomorrow, I just hope its good.

These decisions arent easy but who said life was easy? hahhaaaaa

I'm sure I haven't helped you much, but sometimes its good therapy to write things down and think things out.

I certainly wish you well.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Thanks for that-all is well so far-the weather abit unsettled-It is like we have NEVER been away-a satisfaction
NOW the hard works begins!!

I'm sure it will be all worthwhile and Good Luck to you, you seem happier already.
Im so glad you made it back to the UK safely.
ENJOY...
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Rebecca and hubby, you will find this the most caring and supportive thread!! So welcome and do chip in with any questions.

When you emigrate or marry somebody from another country it is always going to be hard. Somebody is going to be left behind somewhere, children, parents, family of all kinds........it is extremely hard being the "leaver" and just as hard for the people left behind.

All you can do is what you think is right at the time, but unless your whole family moves or lives in the same country and you have ABSOLUTELY no ties to the other country then there are no winners.

Some of us have had to make decisions and compromises, but we will always be torn between two loves.

Sad fact of life..........
VERY TRUE, and Barb knows what she is talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.