Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Honeybun
Hi Fish & Chips
Well from memory we just called ours the kitchen cabinet, but have just asked a friend from New Zealand where they were called hutch.
At least our toilet was in the house together with the bath which lead off the scullery - how victorian is that?
Hello Honeybun

Its still not the answer Im looking for, fingers crossed someone will come up with what Im looking for.

Thanks for your reply...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, well I just came back from viewing a small one bedroom flat in Ayr and I have decided to take it. It is about 5 blocks from the harbour and across the street from a small grocery store. Within walking distance of downtown and busses running every 20 minutes, just a few block away.

It is not the prettiest flat from the outside and is in a block of 8 flats, you know the old council type flat types. Once you get in the front door, it is lovely, fully furnished and functional, newly painted and comes with all the appliances including gas stove/oven, fridge, freezer, washer and dryer. Small but very bright kitchen with a eat in area, big old type larder cupboard and brand new cupboards, flooring and counters. Living room is fully furnished with large livingroom window and space that if I take out the two big chairs I can put a small dining table and four chairs. Full bathroom with both shower and bathtub. Double bedroom with wardrobe etc, all in all very nice, very clean, with gas heat, lots of storage cupboards also,a nd security access by telephone. The rent is £375.00 per month, council tax is £85.00 per month and that of course will be reduced by 25% as I am single woman.

Now the hard part is to tell my landlady and friend that I will be moving. She is a very good friend, and her wee dog has made many lonely evenings not so lonely. I know that this is the next road of my journey and that it where I need to go to now.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Well, we applied for the settlement visa for my OH on 23rd April, sent the paperwork/application to an expeditor in Chicago - he received them yesterday and took them straight to the consulate and not more than 30 minutes ago I received a call from the Consulate asking when we'd like the visa date ... I told him 7th May. Tonight when I get in from work I'm booking three tickets for Sunday 9th May .... OHHHHH thank God!! Im going home!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
Well, we applied for the settlement visa for my OH on 23rd April, sent the paperwork/application to an expeditor in Chicago - he received them yesterday and took them straight to the consulate and not more than 30 minutes ago I received a call from the Consulate asking when we'd like the visa date ... I told him 7th May. Tonight when I get in from work I'm booking three tickets for Sunday 9th May .... OHHHHH thank God!! Im going home!!!!
Oh, good for you!!, you must want to cry, laugh, jump for joy and all at the same time. Soon home for you and your family
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Oh, good for you!!, you must want to cry, laugh, jump for joy and all at the same time. Soon home for you and your family
Oh I know and I'm still sitting here in work trying very hard to control myself- I want to go home now and celebrate!! Im so so so excited!!! Im going to see my family and my new born grandson - oh and John Edward psychic on 17th May in Cardiff -cant forget about him!!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I know and I'm still sitting here in work trying very hard to control myself- I want to go home now and celebrate!! Im so so so excited!!! Im going to see my family and my new born grandson - oh and John Edward psychic on 17th May in Cardiff -cant forget about him!!
Very exciting, congratulations
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, well I just came back from viewing a small one bedroom flat in Ayr and I have decided to take it. It is about 5 blocks from the harbour and across the street from a small grocery store. Within walking distance of downtown and busses running every 20 minutes, just a few block away.

It is not the prettiest flat from the outside and is in a block of 8 flats, you know the old council type flat types. Once you get in the front door, it is lovely, fully furnished and functional, newly painted and comes with all the appliances including gas stove/oven, fridge, freezer, washer and dryer. Small but very bright kitchen with a eat in area, big old type larder cupboard and brand new cupboards, flooring and counters. Living room is fully furnished with large livingroom window and space that if I take out the two big chairs I can put a small dining table and four chairs. Full bathroom with both shower and bathtub. Double bedroom with wardrobe etc, all in all very nice, very clean, with gas heat, lots of storage cupboards also,a nd security access by telephone. The rent is £375.00 per month, council tax is £85.00 per month and that of course will be reduced by 25% as I am single woman.

Now the hard part is to tell my landlady and friend that I will be moving. She is a very good friend, and her wee dog has made many lonely evenings not so lonely. I know that this is the next road of my journey and that it where I need to go to now.
Sounds great Peigi, very reasonable, I was paying £500.00 per month in Bowness plus £110.00 council tax (later reduced for single person).

I am sure your landlady/friend will understand as you say this is your journey and you are now on the next step..........I know you are going to miss the little dog though.

How's the job hunting going as I have seen your job isn't working out as you hoped.

I have applied for 14 jobs so far, 3 knockbacks without interviews, so 11 to go..........we just have to keep on keeping on....

Barb
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well done Lara, how exciting for you all. That was QUICK work re the visa from reading some of the other posts.

Wishing you all the best on your journey back HOME.

Barb
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

[QUOTE=HighTide;8530604]
Originally Posted by Relocateme
Welcome David!..what an exciting plan...Devon and Cornwall eh?..No doubt you will be hosting some of us on this thread at some point down the road in your B&B!!

I hope you and your partner will make a happy home there..here's wishing you all the best and so looking forward to the tales of your journey!.

Its a nice morning here in Jolly Old, the birds are singing and the sun is out ..supposed to be 18c today and rain at the weekend..

Thanks so much for your wishes. They are appreciated. I sure hope many do come and visit the B&B wherever it is we end up. I think we have looked at every available listing of B&B and Guest House for sale in the UK in the last few weeks. Of course many are out of our price range.

So glad that things have worked out for you and that you are enjoying life back in "Jolly Old".
David, I'm sure you will get lots of visitors from the BE site if you advertise on here!! Don't forget to keep us posted so we can all make a booking at your B&B.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Good news Lara. Is American hubby excited about living in Wales?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ed that sounds wonderful, old council flats arent bad at all my Auntie has one, very comfortable, It is hard to give people unpleasant news when you really care about them, but Im sure she understands your situation and wishes you well, as far as the pooch goes, in time that will all be resolved, maybe your dogs and hers will get along in the future. My fingers are crossed that this all works out well for you.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Congratulations Lara...that's fantastic. We too will be going through that process soon I hope. Maybe we should wait a while if things go that quickly. Still soooo much to do !!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Great news all the best in your new abode, hope that you settle in quickly ...
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to David- you will make lots of friends on here!!

ED- glad to hear that you have found something closer, you will make new friends there too I am sure.

Fish- been interesting to read your posts and the replies!!

Rodney -glad to hear you are getting a bit more mobile now.

Beedubya, Relocateme, and anyone else I have missed out- so glad that things are working out!!

I am back at work part time now and slowly getting more strength!

I am still planning long term to go back to UK though- its where my heart is!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:53 am
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

That sounds really comfortable ED and one of the great things is that you dont have to buy any furniture. I hope you will be really happy there and have great neighbours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.