Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes I remember when I was in India traveling back overland to France and then onto England by Ferry, I stopped at a lot of places in India but really only remember the big cities like Madras and Calcutta & New Deli & Benares is that how you spell it where the Taj Mahal is, but from Calcutta I took the bus up to Kathmandu where I spent a lovely 5 weeks living in a large room of about 20 fellow hippies Gals and Guys, playing our guitars and just generally kicking back and enjoying the moment ------ this was a different time in history though it was 1969 when I was coming back from Australia after living there for 4 years, I was 24 ----- Oh those were the days in our youth, the things we all did and the places weve seen,
Memories ----- da da da da da da da ---- like the old song goes,
Rodney.
I bet you could tell us a few tales Rodney of your hippie days - was this the time of The Beatles and that Maharishi guy? Long hair, flowers in your hair, a bit of wacky backy and all was peace and love
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I bet you could tell us a few tales Rodney of your hippie days - was this the time of The Beatles and that Maharishi guy? Long hair, flowers in your hair, a bit of wacky backy and all was peace and love
Yes Barb, those were the days alright, all of the above and lots more, and yes Maharishi Jogi, didn't have a chance to meet him though ---- he was too busy with the Beatles,
Rodney.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya....Thankyou for your good wishes. My Dad was Scottish and one line of his ancestry was named Doig. The family motto is 'Yeild not to Adversity" I figure if they lived by that then so should I. I think they had a far harder time than I ever had.
I have been thinking, after looking at your comings and goings we should rename you 'Boomerang". For those who are new to the thread could you explain your comings and goings so some might learn from what you have to say. I know you had spoken about it along the way but if you put it into one posting it might help those who have not scrolled back.

Jasper123.. I have still not heard the the US Citizenship so I am giving them till Monday then I shall call and see whats going on.

Easterndawn..Hows everything going. When you have a few minutes would love to hear from you.

Aces1.... I have big plastic baggies full of bubble wrap. When I unwrapped many of my boxes I did not want to throw the bubble wrap away as it is quite expensive so I have just put it to one side. My problem is my books I do try and go through them and get rid of some but they are my weakenss so I am not doing well on that score. I have a pile of get rids and then I start reading the fly leaf and that does it I put it in the keep pile. Same with my magazines.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 6:03 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Thanks to you all for sending good luck vibes for my house sale ,the inspection went thru fine and now God willing we should be without the burden of the USA property in about a month ,
What is the best way to transfer the funds from the US to UK bearing in mind that the bank rate and currency exchange rates are so poor right now ,I have made such a loss on the house I do not want to lose anymore .I have looked at some of the recommended money transfer sites but would welcome advice from anyone who has done this recently without any blips.
By the way ,my first tulip burst into bloom today ,red and yellow stripes ,Spring has sprung
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, Finally having a day off and getting caught up with the housework, laundry ect. Days are very long, more because of the travelling than anything, up at 0500 get to the bus at 6:30 and then get home if I am on the 9-5pm shift around 7:00pm, if on the 11:00am till 9:00pm.

The work I find very easy, most of the day is getting familiar with the computer program that they use for booking holidays, payment etc. The site doesn't officially open till March 19th and have been told it will be much busier then.

I am enjoying being employed again and meeting new people and I believe this has made me feel that I am becoming more Scottish than Canadian, I have even noticed that my accent is beginning to change a little, although I don't think I will loose it all together. It's funny I tink Ontarion must be full of people from Scotland as everyone I speak to has a relative or two living there
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Wonderful news Easterndawn. Your finally back into the swing of things with your job and everything...pity about the long days but soon you'll have that sorted out ..it wont take you long the way you keep working at things. So Kudos to you for all you have accomplished !

Me...I'm in the "limbo" part of my move. I am out of my home and in the City staying with a friend before the off. Dropped keys at lawyers Fri am.

Have to "wait" for the funds from 4 days to two weeks for the transfer of title, lawyers to do stuff and transfer funding etc., I had anticipated it would be ready for me... I was a bit miffed at this news as I rather wanted to book up and pay off some stuff instead of using my accounts..Neverthless getting a few things sorted like dental, tax, cell, final billings. Not going to sweat it. See what 4 days brings.

I am so happy I am this far in my journey ..it wont be long now. Starting to look for flights. Went to Walmart and snapped up a rolling carry-on in red for $17..matches my luggage & regulation size for airlines ..in luggage shops on the mall the prices were $70 Also Walmart carries the 30z/90ml empty bottles for transferring lotions into for travel

Jasper123
Went into HSBC global bank,.they were great and opened a Premier account giving me a temporary card and pin #. They opened it in GBP and CAD. There is a 24/7 hotline if you get stuck. Didnt have to put money in it. She gave me a void check for the lawyer to deposit the house money.

She talked a little about the Passport account. This also is for travellers for a period of one year and has much of the same options as the Premier in that you can have the account open with two or more currencies in it. Like a pool

Then you can operate within the pool depending on where you are...one day in UK using pounds the next in EU taking out Euros you can "add a country" on the online site.

I was confident that HSBC had a safe system. They were super nice to deal with. Have to go back in again for a review before I go, then I will add the Euros. Want to make sure I know the info thoroughly...there was quite a bit for the first day. "Things" wont be in place till the 26th..Cripes another wait.

Dont want to hang around too much longer in Winnipeg ..feeling strange being a lodger. It reminds me of the feeling I had when I came here 35yrs ago..fish out of water and all familiarity gone!

Thinking to risk a deposit in absentia. I said I would'nt to be safe but being here for two weeks may be too much..sooo want to be home..looked at going for Easter but flights are costly.

My friends lifted up my shipping boxes, could be 60lbs each they remarked so consolidated it into one and filled out a new contents list.

more later
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Great news the job is going well ED, yes like Relocateme says the way you work things it won't be long until you are sorted out from your long days, commuting can be a real drain.

Relocate me - where is it you are heading to? Sorry but I've forgotten. Nice to see you on the final part of your journey, funny how we have all been chatting here for so long and have grown to "know" one another.

Well I am sitting on the floor in the spare bedroom supposed to be packing instead of being on here!! I wanted to take my vacuum cleaner but found out that Quarantine will want to inspect it and will probably charge me too, so farewell to that as well

I have my stuff on eBay - it goes off tomorrow night so fingers crossed.

Well it's the last few weeks for me too, 1 week left at my job, the removals are coming here on Thursday to pick up the stuff I am shipping back, then I am off up to Cheshire to see the family. I aim to get some days out when I am there as I am not just sitting round drinking cups of tea with the family on my last few days here..........

Why don't we all call ourselves by our REAL names as it gets a bit confusing when we all have these strange nicknames.

So - my name is Barbara - or Barb to my friends - and that's you lot

p.s. British Airways are going to be on strike on my flight day, so maybe I'll get a few extra days here in England after all.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Relocateme, I think I remember you saying you were going to do some travelling before settling down in UK, is that still on the boards for you and where will you be living in UK.

Did talk to my manager about a large group get together at any of there 36 sites, they would give me a good rate plus I would get 25% off that price. For a weekend it could be as little as £99 and up for a family of four, a family being described as 4 people in a caravan. If it was to be in off season, April, May, October, November the price would be much better. Something to think about, if not this year then perhaps next, the sites are all in very nice areas of UK, close to beaches and great places with a history.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Relocateme, I think I remember you saying you were going to do some travelling before settling down in UK, is that still on the boards for you and where will you be living in UK.

Did talk to my manager about a large group get together at any of there 36 sites, they would give me a good rate plus I would get 25% off that price. For a weekend it could be as little as £99 and up for a family of four, a family being described as 4 people in a caravan. If it was to be in off season, April, May, October, November the price would be much better. Something to think about, if not this year then perhaps next, the sites are all in very nice areas of UK, close to beaches and great places with a history.
Hi Ed, so nice to hear from you again and to know that you are getting into the swing of things with your Job, but sorry to hear of your long commute and long days, but as others have said we all know you will get that sorted out real soon, cause we know you are a go getter, nothing stops you, you remind me of the Bionic woman ---- remember her played by lLindseyWagner
Rodney.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Wonderful news Easterndawn. Your finally back into the swing of things with your job and everything...pity about the long days but soon you'll have that sorted out ..it wont take you long the way you keep working at things. So Kudos to you for all you have accomplished !

Me...I'm in the "limbo" part of my move. I am out of my home and in the City staying with a friend before the off. Dropped keys at lawyers Fri am.

Have to "wait" for the funds from 4 days to two weeks for the transfer of title, lawyers to do stuff and transfer funding etc., I had anticipated it would be ready for me... I was a bit miffed at this news as I rather wanted to book up and pay off some stuff instead of using my accounts..Neverthless getting a few things sorted like dental, tax, cell, final billings. Not going to sweat it. See what 4 days brings.

I am so happy I am this far in my journey ..it wont be long now. Starting to look for flights. Went to Walmart and snapped up a rolling carry-on in red for $17..matches my luggage & regulation size for airlines ..in luggage shops on the mall the prices were $70 Also Walmart carries the 30z/90ml empty bottles for transferring lotions into for travel

Jasper123
Went into HSBC global bank,.they were great and opened a Premier account giving me a temporary card and pin #. They opened it in GBP and CAD. There is a 24/7 hotline if you get stuck. Didnt have to put money in it. She gave me a void check for the lawyer to deposit the house money.

She talked a little about the Passport account. This also is for travellers for a period of one year and has much of the same options as the Premier in that you can have the account open with two or more currencies in it. Like a pool

Then you can operate within the pool depending on where you are...one day in UK using pounds the next in EU taking out Euros you can "add a country" on the online site.

I was confident that HSBC had a safe system. They were super nice to deal with. Have to go back in again for a review before I go, then I will add the Euros. Want to make sure I know the info thoroughly...there was quite a bit for the first day. "Things" wont be in place till the 26th..Cripes another wait.

Dont want to hang around too much longer in Winnipeg ..feeling strange being a lodger. It reminds me of the feeling I had when I came here 35yrs ago..fish out of water and all familiarity gone!

Thinking to risk a deposit in absentia. I said I would'nt to be safe but being here for two weeks may be too much..sooo want to be home..looked at going for Easter but flights are costly.

My friends lifted up my shipping boxes, could be 60lbs each they remarked so consolidated it into one and filled out a new contents list.

more later
Hi Relocateme,
Thanx for the info on the HSBC accounts, I am going to definitely look into them, but I dont know if they have a branch in Vegas, I will find out,
I thought you were leaving to go back home on the 11th March, or did I get that wrong and that maybe was the time you had to be out of your house?
Rodney.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hi all!
Had to be out of the house on the 11th March which was my last day of work also

Then a move to a friend in Wpg because I must sell my vehicle, do the errands and book flight. It turned so foggy on the night of 11th March that I stayed over in my house on a pile of comforters on the floor..didn't want to risk the Hwy drive. I left early in the morning on the 12th..

My original plan was to visit an aunt in Perth Australia. Three weeks ago I rec'd news that she is arriving in UK on April 6th so no good going that way now. I plan to meet up with her by possibly leaving on Canada on April 5th if I can and that is Easter Monday so dont know yet..

She is returning May 17th and if I can I will go back with her. Haven't had a holiday for many years with the job situation so I am making one for myself.

My aunt is going to Tamworth and I am going to Brum BHX I will be able to see her and spend some time with her..my friend who is putting me up is having surgery during April so I will be on call for meals and taxi duty...after a hol in Oz the world is my oyster as they say.

Eileen
Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

I have booked!!!!

...April 5th I am outa here!

Going Westjet 3.45 out of Wpg to Toronto arr 6.45 and 945 out of Toronto arr London 9.55am local time

This feels so very cool, exciting, final and Good!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Hi all!
Had to be out of the house on the 11th March which was my last day of work also

Then a move to a friend in Wpg because I must sell my vehicle, do the errands and book flight. It turned so foggy on the night of 11th March that I stayed over in my house on a pile of comforters on the floor..didn't want to risk the Hwy drive. I left early in the morning on the 12th..

My original plan was to visit an aunt in Perth Australia. Three weeks ago I rec'd news that she is arriving in UK on April 6th so no good going that way now. I plan to meet up with her by possibly leaving on Canada on April 5th if I can and that is Easter Monday so dont know yet..

She is returning May 17th and if I can I will go back with her. Haven't had a holiday for many years with the job situation so I am making one for myself.

My aunt is going to Tamworth and I am going to Brum BHX I will be able to see her and spend some time with her..my friend who is putting me up is having surgery during April so I will be on call for meals and taxi duty...after a hol in Oz the world is my oyster as they say.

Eileen
Hello Eileen - so much easier to remember!!

I know you are going to Perth, but if you make it over to the east coast of Oz, well you know who is going to be living there by then!! Give me a buzz and we can catch up.

I couldn't manage the UK meetup so will have to do my own.

Congratulations too on your flight booking, I came here last year on April 4th!!! Great time of the year to come, don't forget to head out to the country to see all the wee lambs.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Good for you Eileen, I am happy for you sooon you will be back in the land of the green. Were you sad leaving you home, or just glad it was all over? Hope you have a lovely flight over and a great holiday in Australia. Peigi (the gaelic for Peggy)
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good for you Eileen, I am happy for you sooon you will be back in the land of the green. Were you sad leaving you home, or just glad it was all over? Hope you have a lovely flight over and a great holiday in Australia. Peigi (the gaelic for Peggy)
Thanks guys for the wishes!

Barb I imagine that Australia like Canada is expensive to get around
another flight no doubt..I do have a cousin in Brissy as well ..
you never know

To answer you Peigy

When I left my home there was no looking back. I had been so miserable there. Many isolated winters with no company, trying to keep heat down Christmas's alone painting and reno work..

The day I left my job only one person came to wish me well

Was I sad to be leaving there...No..the ppl around my village area only invited me to events to make up numbers, buy a ticket, give me a talk on their religion and demonstrate how much they think they know the bible, to donate goods or time...not "real" sit down stuff with a friend

I honestly felt as though it was only what I owned or could give they wanted
(including the shirt off my back)...still getting calls from the local football team to support them with $10 a month

If I have enjoyed a home I will have last look round and a final moment of solitude with a thought..but on this occasion I could not throw those bags into the van quick enough..it was "Yeay...this is the last time I will drive on this icy road!"

Looking forward to the green and pleasant land and the countdown is on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.