Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi there,
not sure the part about your years in Canada etc is correct in order to get a full UK pension. If you take a look at the attached link there's a bit more to it than that. It's to do with how long you've been out the UK versus how long you've been back etc etc.

You do need to have a good read but whether or not you'll qualify for a full UK pension is not as easy as your post might suggest.......at least not the way I understood the attached link from the UK. Maybe Austratlia is different from Canada eh?

Too important an issue to get wrong methinks.......

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...social/#canada
Hello Luckyone,
I was not talking about myself I was referring to the lady in Australia, and all I said is that (If she is NOT eligible for a full state pension in Australia)then she can apply all her credits/years that she has worked in Australia towards her now few UK credits and she SHOULD be able to receive a full british pension, but that will not apply though if she is already receiving or will soon be eligible for a Auz state pension, but then I may be altogether wrong because I was just going on my case living and working in USA for the past 33 years and my 3 years in Canada and 4 years in Australia that those 7 years are added to my 10 years of NI work in UK which gives me 17 years of coverered work in UK --- SO I will be getting 17 years worth of UK pension which roughly works out to about 66% I think,
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The Cotswolds villages are lovely, with honey-coloured stone houses, dry stone walls it comprises Gloucestershire up to the south Warwickshire border and parts of Oxfordshire. Bourton-on-the-Water is pretty but a tourist trap (lots of coach parties, Japanese and Americans on tours, OAP coach holidays etc.). Upper and Lower Slaughter, Broadway, Chipping Campden, Chipping Norton, Northleach etc. (Chipping is an ancient word for 'market'). There are many Roman relics in the Cotswolds (the Fosse Way, a Roman Road passes through it...I often drive along it on visits to England and you can tell the Romans built it as the road is almost straight along the whole length of it, with hardly any bends) Property is very expensive as many Londoners have bought weekend homes in the Cotswolds, driving out the locals. This part of the country became prosperous because of the wool trade.

A few years ago we were fed up of trekking round to visit relatives and friends around the UK on our trips home, so one year we rented a grist-mill in a Cotswolds hamlet (on an estate) and got them to visit us for a change! There are many cottages to rent on the estate, including some just for two people.....a nice place to stay for a special celebration. We liked walking up to the pub at the entrance to the estate, hearing the owls hooting at night, all the cattle and sheep freely roaming at the exit to the estate on the country road to Stroud, all the lovely walks in the vicinity (we walked to Uley Bury, the nearby Iron Age hill fort)...and the food at the Cyder House restaurant next to the Manor house was sublime.

Anyone can just drive through the estate and dine there (lunches and dinners) and the gardens are also open to the public:

http://www.owlpen.com/index.shtml (the whole website is an interesting read with gorgeous photos of the local countryside)

http://www.owlpen.com/grist_mill.shtml (we stayed in this....lovely!)

http://www.owlpen.com/OwlpenReviews.shtml

http://www.owlpen.com/location.shtml (maps of the Cotswolds/attractions)

(I can imagine it's beautiful right now with the daffodils blooming and lambs frolicking in the fields...)
Thanx englishmum for the description and links to the cotswolds, I am definitely going to take my Mum there sometime when I get back home --- maybe wait till the spring or summer, I think she would like to go on one of those OAP coach tours, I can look into it to see if they have any going there from Portsmouth,
Rodney.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Luckyone,
I was not talking about myself I was referring to the lady in Australia, and all I said is that (If she is NOT eligible for a full state pension in Australia)then she can apply all her credits/years that she has worked in Australia towards her now few UK credits and she SHOULD be able to receive a full british pension, but that will not apply though if she is already receiving or will soon be eligible for a Auz state pension, but then I may be altogether wrong because I was just going on my case living and working in USA for the past 33 years and my 3 years in Canada and 4 years in Australia that those 7 years are added to my 10 years of NI work in UK which gives me 17 years of coverered work in UK --- SO I will be getting 17 years worth of UK pension which roughly works out to about 66% I think,
Hi Rodney on the new pension system starting April 6th,2010 you will receive 17/30th's which is almost 57% and at the present moment basic pension is approximately 90 pounds per week so you will get 57% which equates to about 51 pounds per week....

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hi Rodney on the new pension system starting April 6th,2010 you will receive 17/30th's which is almost 57% and at the present moment basic pension is approximately 90 pounds per week so you will get 57% which equates to about 51 pounds per week....

cheers...Taffy
That Rodney will have the ladies chasing him, coming from USA and having pensions from two different countries! Course, I'm sure he knows how to "play his cards right," coming from Las Vegas!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

From time to time (when I need a 'Brit Fix') I like to look at a thread posted on an expat site for American & Canadian expats living in the UK.

Someone started a thread (back in 2004 and still ongoing) asking their compatriates what they liked about living in the UK and what they would miss if/when they move back to their home country.

The title is: "I need to hear good things about the UK"

It runs to 15 pages! So if you feel inclined to read it, make a cuppa, pull up a chair and it may help you in your decision about whether or not you feel you should move back to the UK or not....

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0

One comment really was mind-opening for me - "Christmas carol services in a church older than my country". I was married in a tiny Norman church in the country (Warwickshire) and I do smile ruefully when something over here (New Jersey) dating from Victorian times is considered 'historic'....
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

cheers...Taffy
Got any idea with mine Taffy...I have 12 UK and 27 Canadian?...it seems like I am better off just waiting till I get back to UK before applying or it would be frozen by now if had started collecting

and whose basic pension is worth more UK or Canada? do you know if you can carry on working after 60 if you want or if you are short of qualifying years..actually though I dont know how much longer I can keep going to be honest...
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
That Rodney will have the ladies chasing him, coming from USA and having pensions from two different countries! Course, I'm sure he knows how to "play his cards right," coming from Las Vegas!
And with his Yankee accent they will think he's a American sailor visiting Portsmouth, so he can kiss the gals and (pretend to) say goodbye. I'll still be reading this thread to keep up with his tales!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 10th 2010 at 6:04 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
From time to time (when I need a 'Brit Fix') I like to look at a thread posted on an expat site for American & Canadian expats living in the UK.

Someone started a thread (back in 2004 and still ongoing) asking their compatriates what they liked about living in the UK and what they would miss if/when they move back to their home country.

The title is: "I need to hear good things about the UK"

It runs to 15 pages! So if you feel inclined to read it, make a cuppa, pull up a chair and it may help you in your decision about whether or not you feel you should move back to the UK or not....

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0

One comment really was mind-opening for me - "Christmas carol services in a church older than my country". I was married in a tiny Norman church in the country (Warwickshire) and I do smile ruefully when something over here (New Jersey) dating from Victorian times is considered 'historic'....
There is a church near me rebuilt over the years but originally founded in 685 AD.

There's another one at the bottom of my road built in the Norman style, I asked the vicar one day in passing how old it was, he said "Oh this is not a very old church, it just looks like it is, it's only 200 years old."

Yes it's same as you in the US anything more than 200 hundred years old in Oz is considered to be of great historical value. sigh...............

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 10th 2010 at 6:12 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Got any idea with mine Taffy...I have 12 UK and 27 Canadian?...it seems like I am better off just waiting till I get back to UK before applying or it would be frozen by now if had started collecting

and whose basic pension is worth more UK or Canada? do you know if you can carry on working after 60 if you want or if you are short of qualifying years..actually though I dont know how much longer I can keep going to be honest...
You don't have to retire when you are 60. The retirement age of the company I work for lets you work until 70. (And believe me it's not WORK!!)
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:13 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Hi Everyone ,
Want to thank you for your positive vibes for the sale of my usa house going thru without too much hassle ,the inspection is friday so fingers and toes crossed for a good result .
Very sunny in Devon today ,yesterday was biting winds and cold ,but today the tulips have buds at last
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Relocateme

Hello let me see....you are in almost an identical situation as I. Myself I have 11 years NI and 29.5 years in Canada....1st here is an excellent link...
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/nontax.shtml

You see that that you only need 10 years to qualify for OAS in Canada...

You'll be able to collect both Canadian OAS/CPP and UK state pension in the UK (Canadian and British Tax Treaty) and the only tax you would have to pay is to the British Gov....here is another link...
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/i...ontax.shtml#f1

Notice the only tax you would pay would be 25% (with holding tax)on CPP or QPP death benefits...

Please wait till you get to Britain before you apply for OAS otherwise it would be frozen..

Now let me see your situation..

12 NI years equates to 12/30th's of OAS which is = to 40% and at the present worth approx. 36 pounds a week or 18 pints of beer...

You wiil also get your Canadian old age only if you are over 65 of course..
You could also collect early CPP at 60 this is what I shall be doing..
If you have any RRSP's..... with the great exchange rate at present I would be paying the 25% with holding tax to the Canadian Gov on departure and depositing it in the UK in a Tax free interest savings account....

Hope this helps....

cheers...Taffy
P.S. and maybe we can have a few pints together....
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Hi there:
how would this work? What tax free account is there that would allow you to deposit the RRSP funds in in this way?
Sounds really interesting but surely an ISA wouldn't allow this???

If you have any RRSP's..... with the great exchange rate at present I would be paying the 25% with holding tax to the Canadian Gov on departure and depositing it in the UK in a Tax free interest savings account....

Hope this helps....

cheers...Taffy
P.S. and maybe we can have a few pints together....
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi there:
how would this work? What tax free account is there that would allow you to deposit the RRSP funds in in this way?
Sounds really interesting but surely an ISA wouldn't allow this???
Hello once you pay the 25% with holding tax on departure from Canada is ceases to be a RRSP it's your money to do what you want with it and at the present moment in Britain you can put up to 10000 pounds for the first year in a TFSA....

Note if you wish you can still leave your RRSP's in Canada and be a non-resident....if you withdraw from them while you are in the UK, say on a monthly basis you will not have to pay Canadian Tax, however you are subject to UK tax as income...the only time you pay tax to the Canadian Gov. is when you cash in all your RRSP's on departure and that would be 25% with holding tax as stated prior...

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Hi Taffy:
have you got a link to a site that explains this please? I checked the latest ISA stuff on the government sites and it does say that the amounts that over 50's can save in an ISA has been increased to 10,200 GBP per year, but only half of this amount can be in cash. I couldn't see anything about the first year allowance you refer to.
Thanks.....

Hello once you pay the 25% with holding tax on departure from Canada is ceases to be a RRSP it's your money to do what you want with it and at the present moment in Britain you can put up to 10000 pounds for the first year in a TFSA....

Note if you wish you can still leave your RRSP's in Canada and be a non-resident....if you withdraw from them while you are in the UK, say on a monthly basis you will not have to pay Canadian Tax, however you are subject to UK tax as income...the only time you pay tax to the Canadian Gov. is when you cash in all your RRSP's on departure and that would be 25% with holding tax as stated prior...

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Taffy:
have you got a link to a site that explains this please? I checked the latest ISA stuff on the government sites and it does say that the amounts that over 50's can save in an ISA has been increased to 10,200 GBP per year, but only half of this amount can be in cash. I couldn't see anything about the first year allowance you refer to.
Thanks.....
Hello Luckyone..thanks I sit corrected I meant to say $10000 not pounds...here is the link from HSBC...

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/s...WueM:12ntf14vj

It's called a cash e-isa...5100 pounds if you are born before 1960 per year

Here is the link for the different types of ISA (TFSA-in Canada ) accounts

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/investments/isa#top

cheers...Taffy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.