Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:52 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice
Wink Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I just wanted to tell you all that hubby and i returned to the UK in September after 12 years of working and living in Florida,I had a big health problem which needed sorting and now am at last starting to feel well again with continued hospital and gp treatments .I cannot lie that it has been easy trying to start life again in the UK ,the snow and cold have been the worst for 30 years so i guess the weather was waiting for us to return to blighty .I urge anyone returning to have a reasonable amount of money because my home on the States has not sold after almost a year and it is now reduced in price to almost half i bought it for .
I can say though that the people are nicer than when i last was here and more concerned about each other ,we have rented a tiny one bedroom flat until our american house sells and enjoying ASDA food products high.recommended .
Some of our family have been very off hand to say the least ,I think there is a kind of envy that we experienced a different culture although America was not a bed of roses ,we went through 2 major hurricanes and personal heartache when close relatives died in the UK and we could not leave our jobs to return home for funerals .
I am happy to help out with any questions people may have about coming back to england from abroard if I can ,I know the ups and downs for sure.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by eastkilbride
Hi Ed, I know exactly where your new job will be, that area is called the "Heads Of Ayr", I remember taking the kids there many years ago when it was Butlins holiday camp, we were there last year having a look around.
Hi Eastkilbride,
Yes, that is exactly where it is, they have revamped the space and are now mostly static caravans, I believe there is a percentage of privately owned and I think company owned for weekly travellers. It is a beautiful area, you can see Arran. Was very windy yesterday when I was there but still a breathtaking view.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magistrate
I just wanted to tell you all that hubby and i returned to the UK in September after 12 years of working and living in Florida,I had a big health problem which needed sorting and now am at last starting to feel well again with continued hospital and gp treatments .I cannot lie that it has been easy trying to start life again in the UK ,the snow and cold have been the worst for 30 years so i guess the weather was waiting for us to return to blighty .I urge anyone returning to have a reasonable amount of money because my home on the States has not sold after almost a year and it is now reduced in price to almost half i bought it for .
I can say though that the people are nicer than when i last was here and more concerned about each other ,we have rented a tiny one bedroom flat until our american house sells and enjoying ASDA food products high.recommended .
Some of our family have been very off hand to say the least ,I think there is a kind of envy that we experienced a different culture although America was not a bed of roses ,we went through 2 major hurricanes and personal heartache when close relatives died in the UK and we could not leave our jobs to return home for funerals .
I am happy to help out with any questions people may have about coming back to england from abroard if I can ,I know the ups and downs for sure.
Hi Magistrate,

Wondered what happened to you guys, glad to hear that your medical problems are being sorted out. Did you ever get the help you needed when you first arrived? I remember feeling that you were feeling very fustrated with a situation that I found myself in shortly after you wrote on the thread.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Hi easterndawn,Boy you must have seen some snow !in Scotland ,hope all is well with you and i apologize to everyone on site for not getting in touch before ,had some trying times financially and have only just got back online ,no car yet though ,walking everywhere ,hubby has bus pass ,lucky old guy.Missing having another cat though as i cannot have pets in our rented flat.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi easterndawn,Boy you must have seen some snow !in Scotland ,hope all is well with you and i apologize to everyone on site for not getting in touch before ,had some trying times financially and have only just got back online ,no car yet though ,walking everywhere ,hubby has bus pass ,lucky old guy.Missing having another cat though as i cannot have pets in our rented flat.
Snow not to bad here, more in the northern area, I am more south well actually slightly in the middle. Yes, no car either, and like yourself no bus pass. Hoping that things will change tomorrow after the interview though. Financially it has been a real stretch here, thank goodness that you can buy good food for a good price and like you also shop at Asda. Still can afford the odd little package of Hobbs though, had never tasted them before now I think I am addicted, also here we have stores called Farm something or other, decent prices there also. Glad to hear things are getting better, I think you guys flew back almost the same time I did Sept 25th?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:00 pm
magistrate

yep,we flew back on the 25th ,arriving at Manchester 7am in the morning ,boy it was the weirdest feeling touching uk land again after 12 years ,but in the nicest way .I can start looking for work in 4 months when my health allows says the doc so will be nice if i can get work
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Eastkilbride,
Yes, that is exactly where it is, they have revamped the space and are now mostly static caravans, I believe there is a percentage of privately owned and I think company owned for weekly travellers. It is a beautiful area, you can see Arran. Was very windy yesterday when I was there but still a breathtaking view.
Easterndawn
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Be postive and confident and I'm sure you'll be successful. Seems everybody on this site is rooting for you so you have plenty of support here, that's gotta help surely.....
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, Well, had a much better day today, went to the Open Day at Holiday Haven near Dunure, Ayrshire. Used to be the old Butlins Camp way back. They had busses running out to the holiday camp for free, so many young people that I wondered on the trip out there if I was jsut wasting my time, but decided to persevere. Filled out application for Reception and Resturant Supervisor. Waited to be seen at the Reception interview table, was interviewed by the front end Manager. Thank goodness I had taken to the time to do some homework on the company, by reading about them on internet. The first question was, what did I know about Holiday Haven, the interview only got better from there. He told me at the end of the interview that he was very interested in me and will be calling me on Tuesday to speak with me on phone and then will have me to come back to talk with him and see the site. The interview ended on a very positive note, as he even wrote down his personal number so that I can reach him if I have any questions before Tuesday. I decided to continue on to the resturant position. The questions were similiar to the other interview but geared to resturant work, I told her that I almost did not come as so many young people there, she said she actually preferred to hire mature workers as they do a much better job and are always there on time. So again ended on a positive note. Just as I was leaving the resturant job interview table, she introduced me to the chief and another manager who asked me what my accent was, told him I was born in Ayr, but had spent some time in Canada, he said he loved my accent and hopes to hear more of it.

Left there feeling much better about myself and my abilitiies. The job would start in march and would last till November.
There you go- told you things happened for a reason- good one!!!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I certainly do have many peoples support on this thread and it is so very much appreciated. Will let everyone know how it goes when I get back.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

yep,we flew back on the 25th ,arriving at Manchester 7am in the morning ,boy it was the weirdest feeling touching uk land again after 12 years ,but in the nicest way .I can start looking for work in 4 months when my health allows says the doc so will be nice if i can get work
For me after 45 years it felt almost surreal , think it took about 2 weeks before it sunk in where I was. I travelled a lot with my business but always in Canada the last few years, so kept thinking it must be time to back to my home province. Did you stay in Manchester or did you move somewhere else?
If I get this position I will probable move to Ayr, in a few months, this is where I was born although was brought up in small village Coylton. So at least I will be moving in the right direction
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ed how far is this Restaurant from the place where you live, will it be a long or short commute?
Rodney.
Holiday Haven is on the other side of Ayr, a bit of a commute, but you do what you need to do. They do have busses running once an hour to the site from Ayr and the company does pay half your bus pass. I will be moving to Ayr in a few months and that will become my home base, as this was always my intention to live there or close to the town, so this actually works out much better in the long run.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

nolimits is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Magistrate, I was sorry to read your thread, but I am pleased you are on the road to recovery.
We had hoped to live for a while in Florida, we bought a house car etc and then our sponsor let us down, so we find ourselves changing our plans. Although we did not live in Florida as such, we spent a lot of time there and were so disappointed that our plans did not work out, but I guess someday we will realise it was maybe for the best.
I have started taking a good look at UK, I hate the weather but I have realised that here are the people who care about me and I them, and there is a warmth over here at the moment, as so many have been struggling.
Good luck to you and I hope you will be happy.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eastkilbride,
I have some wonderful memories of holidays at Butlins, Ayr when I was a wee yin. Good luck again Easterndawn. I have no doubt lots of us will be waiting in anticipation for the result of your interview tomorrow. I know I am
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

All the best for tomorrow ED!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Yes Rodney, I would love for everything to work for her, she has been an inspiration to us all, when I was down yesterday, I thought of her and thought, who am I to complain, I had my husband with me, this woman has faced so much, and yet I love her strengh, she deserves the best. I don't know if I could have been so strong, but truely admire her, now I want things to go well for her, her husband to be able to join her, and for them to have just some peace and happiness. If anyone deserves it she does. i wish her only the best and all the good luck in the world.
Yes Denise, just like englishmum and Barb said to you, I too could not have put your comments in a better way about Ed,
We are all rooting for you Ed for tomorrow, good luck,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.