Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by alba1
I am in one of those parts for horrendous taxes. My property taxes are over $6000.00. My water and sewer is $180.00 base quarterly plus usage 70-80 per quarter. Gas and electric if on budget $160.00 and dish network $53.74 so the costs in UK would be a lot less for me.
I could never figure out US property taxes, I lived in two semi-rural places, one especially poor, where property taxes were low, but the level of services was also high, roads in good condition, etc., good schools. I always thought high level of public services meant high property taxes. Maybe it was all those other guys in their McMansions who were paying over the odds.

There's a thread going on in the US Furm about being unemployed and it just brings home how different the two countries are in such situations. In the US, you sink or swim, but here, you get a hand-up in most cases.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I could never figure out US property taxes, I lived in two semi-rural places, one especially poor, where property taxes were low, but the level of services was also high, roads in good condition, etc., good schools. I always thought high level of public services meant high property taxes. Maybe it was all those other guys in their McMansions who were paying over the odds.

There's a thread going on in the US Furm about being unemployed and it just brings home how different the two countries are in such situations. In the US, you sink or swim, but here, you get a hand-up in most cases.
Property tax in US is generally is a couple of different taxes. You have county and township taxes and then the school tax. Generally the highest tax is the school tax but your services come from the township. In my area township and county taxes are paid on a calendar year Jan-Dec while theschool tax is paid on a fiscal year July 1-June 30. Makes sense once you think about how the school year runs(Sept. through June) and realize the school district needs the money to run the schools. I hope that explains it to you.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alba1
Property tax in US is generally is a couple of different taxes. You have county and township taxes and then the school tax. Generally the highest tax is the school tax but your services come from the township. In my area township and county taxes are paid on a calendar year Jan-Dec while theschool tax is paid on a fiscal year July 1-June 30. Makes sense once you think about how the school year runs(Sept. through June) and realize the school district needs the money to run the schools. I hope that explains it to you.
No, I meant I couldn't understand why there seems to be something of a disconnect between how much you pay and the level of public service provision. From examples I have read on the US board, I'd have expected where I lived to have potholes in the road, bad schools, once a month garbage collection, etc. (because tases were pretty low). I did realise that the property taxes were comprised of a combination of different level taxes (city, county, school, etc.).

It seems in the UK that cuoncil taxes seem to get spent on a lot of "programmes" rather than infrastructure (roads around here are in an awful state, for example). They don't even recycle plastics ...
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, I meant I couldn't understand why there seems to be something of a disconnect between how much you pay and the level of public service provision. From examples I have read on the US board, I'd have expected where I lived to have potholes in the road, bad schools, once a month garbage collection, etc. (because tases were pretty low). I did realise that the property taxes were comprised of a combination of different level taxes (city, county, school, etc.).

It seems in the UK that cuoncil taxes seem to get spent on a lot of "programmes" rather than infrastructure (roads around here are in an awful state, for example). They don't even recycle plastics ...
I know what you mean. Here we are in a very low income area, a very high number of children are on the free lunch program at school and WIC is run off their feet each month with moms and little kids coming in for food coupons. Yet we have enough McMansions around, that the services seem pretty good. The roads seem good and the parks are kept nice, but our taxes don't include any garbage pick up or recycling, that all extra cost.
Sadly theres also a disproportionate number of children in foster care here compared to other areas. Unemployment is very high, well over 10%

You say the UK is spending too much on programmes, For me I think that's about right.
People before things.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:11 am
Just Joined

dotb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

The above website has some useful information worth keeping for future reference.
could I ask you did you return to UK from Australia if so where you getting Asi Pension need some help on this point
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well a new day has begun, hmmm they should make a song out of that. Okay, I'll stop being corny, went and did a little shopping yesterday, just to pick up a few things, I have noticed that bedding is so much more less expensive than it was back in Canada, this surprised me. For example I can by a double duvet with 2 pillow shams for about £20.00, you can get less expensive but at this price why would you.
I think that when I look at the cost of things here and the cost of things back in North America and look at the earning power here and again back in North America for us the difference is minimal. I have been here for 7 weeks, which I do understand is not a long time but will my lifestyle change for the worst, I can say at this point with all honesty a resounding no.
Of, course everyone is different and everyone has to decide what is important to them and their lifestyle but for us it is happiness and a sense of belonging.
I love reading your posts , I think about moving back all the time but i am so scared to make the move,my husband is very settled in the States ,I miss Scotland all the time and long to be back . I do get to go back every summer for two months and it unsettles me all the time ,my mither has recently moved into a nursing home over there so i will not have the use of her house as we had to sell it to pay for her care.
Its hard to think that her house has gone, my plan for this summer is to rent ,
The last few times that I have been home i see the prices of everything coming down except petrol ,
So please keep posting .I know kilmarnock very well ,I'm from Blantyre .
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

I heard this also, but was always wondering where would your dog or cat go to the bathroom during the voyage
I just a few mins ago wrote a post .I said it was sad to think of my mothers house not there for me , its also so sad that my mum had to go into care but I am glad that she is in Scotland ,I just feel so bad that I am here
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, yes, petrol is still expensive but after saying that, it always has been, even was 40 years ago. If I can help you with the rental when you come back let me know. Today was not one of my better days, really missing family, with my birthday coming up on the 22nd and Christmas coming it is an emotional time for me. My ex-daughter-in-law e-mailed me this afternoon, even though she is separated from my son and he has a wonderful partner, she and I have kept in touch on a regular basis she was saying how much she missed me especially at this time of the year, we would start baking shortly after Remembrance day and baked right up to a day or so before Christmas. Usually finding baking in the freezer up until July the following year. All the kids and my husband had there favorites, so it was a marathon of whipped shortbread, gingersnaps, walnut slices, butter and pecan tarts, chocolate macaroons, midnight mice and so many more favorites.

We are expecting one of the worst storms this weekend,so guess we will button down the hatches and make sure their is lots of chocolate, and wine in the house.
Originally Posted by ionaskye
I love reading your posts , I think about moving back all the time but i am so scared to make the move,my husband is very settled in the States ,I miss Scotland all the time and long to be back . I do get to go back every summer for two months and it unsettles me all the time ,my mither has recently moved into a nursing home over there so i will not have the use of her house as we had to sell it to pay for her care.
Its hard to think that her house has gone, my plan for this summer is to rent ,
The last few times that I have been home i see the prices of everything coming down except petrol ,
So please keep posting .I know kilmarnock very well ,I'm from Blantyre .

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 18th 2009 at 5:15 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, yes, petrol is still expensive but after saying that, it always has been, even was 40 years ago. If I can help you with the rental when you come back let me know. Today was not one of my better days, really missing family, with my birthday coming up on the 22nd and Christmas coming it is an emotional time for me. My ex-daughter-in-law e-mailed me this afternoon, even though she is separated from my son and he has a wonderful partner, she and I have kept in touch on a regular basis she was saying how much she missed me especially at this time of the year, we would start baking shortly after Remembrance day and baked right up to a day or so before Christmas. Usually finding baking in the freezer up until July the following year. All the kids and my husband had there favorites, so it was a marathon of whipped shortbread, gingersnaps, walnut slices, butter and pecan tarts, chocolate macaroons, midnight mice and so many more favorites.

We are expecting one of the worst storms this weekend,so guess we will button down the hatches and make sure their is lots of chocolate, and wine in the house.
I have been keeping up with your posts ED, love reading your updates and how you have coped with all the obstacles you have had to go through. You are a very strong lady, as you have proved by going home alone in preparation for your hubby, he is a lucky man but I'm sure he knows that. I was wondering about how you were facing your first Christmas at home without your family, it's obviously a tough time for both of you and your children too. I know it isn't easy to be alone after being together for so long, my hubby works in another State, luckily he can get home for holidays and other visits, but I still hate it. (we are married 23 yrs in May) He is retired military and we have had quite a few separations during his service, but it doesn't get any easier.

Do you have any plans for getting together with friends in Scotland for Christmas day? I'm sure there are lots of things going on for New Years, you are in the best place for that holiday, though it will be much nicer for you next year. Web cams are great for 'seeing' hubby, but not quite the same huh? I hope you can get through the holidays without too much sadness, but at least you know to expect those feelings and can prepare yourself a little by trying to fill up your time. I know money is tight, but maybe if you could get the ingredients to do some of your baking for friends, it may help a little.

Happy Birthday for Sunday sweety, it will be the only one you have without your hubby
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

sounds like a great plan to get through the rough weather,
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

No, no plans to get together with friends over Christmas. Have been asked to New Years dance in Kilmaurs, but not sure if I will go, difficult to get home that evening but will see. Yes, thank goodness for Web Cams, there wonderful but your right ot the same as in person though, we will be married 20 yrs on May 16th. Thanks for the Birthday wishes.
Originally Posted by Englishtart
I have been keeping up with your posts ED, love reading your updates and how you have coped with all the obstacles you have had to go through. You are a very strong lady, as you have proved by going home alone in preparation for your hubby, he is a lucky man but I'm sure he knows that. I was wondering about how you were facing your first Christmas at home without your family, it's obviously a tough time for both of you and your children too. I know it isn't easy to be alone after being together for so long, my hubby works in another State, luckily he can get home for holidays and other visits, but I still hate it. (we are married 23 yrs in May) He is retired military and we have had quite a few separations during his service, but it doesn't get any easier.

Do you have any plans for getting together with friends in Scotland for Christmas day? I'm sure there are lots of things going on for New Years, you are in the best place for that holiday, though it will be much nicer for you next year. Web cams are great for 'seeing' hubby, but not quite the same huh? I hope you can get through the holidays without too much sadness, but at least you know to expect those feelings and can prepare yourself a little by trying to fill up your time. I know money is tight, but maybe if you could get the ingredients to do some of your baking for friends, it may help a little.

Happy Birthday for Sunday sweety, it will be the only one you have without your hubby
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

No, no plans to get together with friends over Christmas. Have been asked to New Years dance in Kilmaurs, but not sure if I will go, difficult to get home that evening but will see. Yes, thank goodness for Web Cams, there wonderful but your right ot the same as in person though, we will be married 20 yrs on May 16th. Thanks for the Birthday wishes.
Happy birthday wishes, put a candle in a cake and make yourself a wish!

Yes, Christmas will be tough, but remember, it's just another day, same as the birthday, and we can choose any other day to be special too. You can make the first day your hubbie arrives there Christmas/birthday/anniversary all rolled into one! A new tradition! Time to make lots of new traditions!! You are doing a grand job!!!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

dotb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hi everyone my husband and I are wanting to retire back home in UK and would like to hear from any retirees who have returned to UK from Australia and have had experience in both the UK Pension and the Australian Pension we receive both in Australia but would welcome first hand experience from pensioners who have retired back to UK and already gone through all the problems associated with the move.
Also information on the best and least stressful way to bring our little dog with us
I hope there are retirees out there that would be kind enough to give us sound advice to help us succeed in returning home
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:38 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by dotb
Hi everyone my husband and I are wanting to retire back home in UK and would like to hear from any retirees who have returned to UK from Australia and have had experience in both the UK Pension and the Australian Pension we receive both in Australia but would welcome first hand experience from pensioners who have retired back to UK and already gone through all the problems associated with the move.
Also information on the best and least stressful way to bring our little dog with us
I hope there are retirees out there that would be kind enough to give us sound advice to help us succeed in returning home
I'm no expert on the Australian pension side of things but I know there are a few on here that know it all.

Re: getting your dog back, there are stacks of past threads on this - use Search ... Advanced ... and search for "DEFRA", specifying the MBTTUK Forum.

Below is a link to the Wiki about the process:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good Evening Everyone,
Well, went to East Kilbride Mall this afternoon, not to bad a ride, took the bus from Kilmarnock and after about an hour arrived right at the mall. It was very busy, and although there was lots of stores, I still think I enjoyed Braehead Mall a little more. I found so many of the stores were selling the same things, and although it was decorated for Christmas very nicely I think it looked a little tired. Some of the glass panels were leaking and it was quite slippery in some spots.

It was good that the bus station is right outside one of the mall entrances and when I arrived back in Kilmarnock the bus for my street was waiting so it was a very good ride home. The bus ride cost me £7.40 return so not to bad.

Things are already going on sale here in the shops, some good deal to be be had. Unfortunately or fortunately I won't be sending gifts this year as it is very expensive it seems to send boxes in the mail overseas. It seems that no matter how small the business is here, they take their employees out for a supper at Christmas, there are only three of us a the pet parlour and we are going to have supper in one of the hotels in Kilmarnock on December 19th, so looking forward to that. On Wednesday treated myself to lunch had some mince and tatties, it was just as I imagined it, wonderful and flavorful and great on a a wet and windy day. The rain just keeps coming and in Cumbria many people have been evacuated from there flooded homes. I have been told that the winters have changed in the past few years, more rain less frost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.