Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
i don't think so, this is the first I have heard of this, will have husband look into this, thanks. If we drop the price much more there will be no profit at all I'm affraid, after you pay the real estate agent etc., leaves very little. Right now husband living on one income, we normally have two, so it is a little difficult. Will just have to wait and see.
The way I look at it, how much does it cost me for my freedom? It is priceless. Do what you have to do.

How is your friend now, any news?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think so, this is the first I have heard of this, will have husband look into this, thanks. If we drop the price much more there will be no profit at all I'm affraid, after you pay the real estate agent etc., leaves very little. Right now husband living on one income, we normally have two, so it is a little difficult. Will just have to wait and see.
It's been mentioned by Canadian posters in this forum before...if you leave before the sale is finalised you aren't regarded as a Canadian resident. I don't know if it applies to all the Provinces or what percentage it is. Apparently your lawyer pays the tax before handing over the profit to the seller...ask your lawyer to clarify. If the house is in joint names it may be worth asking what happens if the house is sold now you are a UK resident but your husband is still in Canada.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:06 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

HI TO YOU ALL,
BACK IN THE UK ,VERY HAPPY ,WEATHER WARM ,CHEAP GOOD FOOD ,NICE SHOP ASSISTANTS AND FITTING BACK INTO UK LIFE AFTER 12 YEARS AWAY .BUT PROBLEM IS THAT MY HUBBY AND I HAVE NOT SOLD OUR HOME IN THE US AND CANNOT AFFORD TO RENT A SMALL PLACE IN THE UK WITHOUT A LITTLE GOVERNMENT HELP UNTIL OUR USA HOUSE SELLS .WENT TO TRY AND GET ADVICE ABOUT HOUSING BENEFIT AND TAKING RESIDENCY TEST AT LOCAL BENEFIT OFFICE AND WAS TOLD TO PHONE UK IMMIGRATION OFFICE ,AS HUBBY HAS POSH PUBLIC SCHOOL ACCENT AND VERY ENGLISH AS IAM WE ARE CONFUSED.PLEASE FAST ADVICE REQUIRED ON WHICH WAY TO APPLY FOR HOUSING BENEFIT HELP
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magistrate
HI TO YOU ALL,
BACK IN THE UK ,VERY HAPPY ,WEATHER WARM ,CHEAP GOOD FOOD ,NICE SHOP ASSISTANTS AND FITTING BACK INTO UK LIFE AFTER 12 YEARS AWAY .BUT PROBLEM IS THAT MY HUBBY AND I HAVE NOT SOLD OUR HOME IN THE US AND CANNOT AFFORD TO RENT A SMALL PLACE IN THE UK WITHOUT A LITTLE GOVERNMENT HELP UNTIL OUR USA HOUSE SELLS .WENT TO TRY AND GET ADVICE ABOUT HOUSING BENEFIT AND TAKING RESIDENCY TEST AT LOCAL BENEFIT OFFICE AND WAS TOLD TO PHONE UK IMMIGRATION OFFICE ,AS HUBBY HAS POSH PUBLIC SCHOOL ACCENT AND VERY ENGLISH AS IAM WE ARE CONFUSED.PLEASE FAST ADVICE REQUIRED ON WHICH WAY TO APPLY FOR HOUSING BENEFIT HELP
Please don't shout!!!

Best place to go for advice is the Citizens Advice Bureau

Although I doubt that the fact that your house hasn't sold would qualify you for Housing Benefit.

Can you return to the US (temporarily) and get a loan (with the house as collateral)?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

HI TO YOU ALL,
Well done Magistrate and Hubby!...you made it
(Moderator wants you to post in lower case letters)

Your situation is a bit tricky though.....Can you apply with one of the housing organizations in the area you live in ..they have so many now for 50plus ...look up/Google "housing associations in Cornwall" and deal with them by applying to them right away...many of them have empty units they can give you, some are furnished .. I got one in Cov when I was there in 1999 for 6 months ..it was nicely furnished too.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Why do you have to take Residency Test if you are British Citizen? Sorry I seem to have misunderstood, I thought you were both British Citizens. Glad to hear you made it okay, hope your flight was better than mine, it seemed to take for ever to get here.

I am in kind of the same spot you are in as house not sold either and budget is very tight. Where are you guys living now? Maybe everyone who has moved and is in this type of spot should get together and build a commune . Seriously, take a deep breath, you have tackled the largest hurdle, you made it back home. Every night I make a list of things I must do, and then do one or two a day, if I didn't do that I would be overwelmed with everything I have to do. Take care, and keep thinking good thoughts.

HI TO YOU ALL,
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Please don't shout!!!

Best place to go for advice is the Citizens Advice Bureau

Although I doubt that the fact that your house hasn't sold would qualify you for Housing Benefit.

Can you return to the US (temporarily) and get a loan (with the house as collateral)?
I seem to remember people posting on here who were in a similar situation. As far as the UK authorities were concerned they had a home in whatever country they had lived in and gave it up to return to the UK...therefore they were not classed as homeless and were not eligible for emergency housing/benefits.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if they signed over the house (if no mortgage on it of course) to a family member, would they still be considered home owners in another country

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I seem to remember people posting on here who were in a similar situation. As far as the UK authorities were concerned they had a home in whatever country they had lived in and gave it up to return to the UK...therefore they were not classed as homeless and were not eligible for emergency housing/benefits.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What would happen if they signed over the house (if no mortgage on it of course) to a family member, would they still be considered home owners in another country
I think it would be seen as voluntarily giving up their home to move to the UK. I haven't been in that position...it's just what I've read from other peoples' experiences who have posted on here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was looking up the Housing association in my area and on the form there is no place that they ask the question regarding wither you came to UK owning a house in another country, not sure if it is the same everywhere. Surely they must be able to get temporary housing in the interm, I would press the issue but then that me.

If I don't get job within the next 2 months, will be in the same position until house sells. I did notice on the form that you had to have NIC number when applying.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think it would be seen as voluntarily giving up their home to move to the UK. I haven't been in that position...it's just what I've read from other peoples' experiences who have posted on here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

My friend is home this evening, they told her it is just a pulled muscle, she did tell them that she saw a shadow on her left lung. The Dr. told her basically that she wasn't qualified to read her own CT scan. They gave her pain killers, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

QUOTE=aes1;7978272]The way I look at it, how much does it cost me for my freedom? It is priceless. Do what you have to do.

How is your friend now, any news?[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was looking up the Housing association in my area and on the form there is no place that they ask the question regarding wither you came to UK owning a house in another country, not sure if it is the same everywhere. Surely they must be able to get temporary housing in the interm, I would press the issue but then that me.

If I don't get job within the next 2 months, will be in the same position until house sells. I did notice on the form that you had to have NIC number when applying.
Forget about owning a home in another country...that's irrelevant. The fact is if you gave up a home in another country to move back to the UK you are not regarded as homeless...because you have voluntarily given up your home. As far as they are concerned it's your fault you are homeless and therefore not their problem.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't know if the staff have any wiggle room or if they have to adhere strictly to the guidlines...or if it differs between England/Scotland/Wales/NI.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 30th 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

We did think about renting the house out and moving back to the UK but there was such alot of red tape attached to it that we have decided we will just have to be patient and hang on till it sells. I am sure the UK Government will ask if you have property in the US and that would immediately disqualify you from any housing benefit.

We will hang on and just keep our fingers crossed. Not much else we can do. Having your foot in both countries could get very expensive I think both countries would want taxes from you.

When we left the UK nearly 30years ago we got a tax bill while in Florida we had given them a forwarding address. We decided to pay it. I still have it. So they do keep tabs on what you are doing.

I am settling in to the fact that we will be here for another few months as nothing sells in the Winter.

Hope your friend is doing better Easterdawn do you think she might have a broken rib. My daughter fell off a horse and did not think to go to the hospital till a few weeks later turned out that she had broker her rib.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Just an added thought to those who are really homesick and wanted to go home without selling their home. When you dont have the money to make your life easier when you get to the UK it can make the move much worse and you might think you have made a mistake, whereas if you wait till you have got the money behind you then your future is much more secure and the UK will be alot more welcoming.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by trottytrue
We did think about renting the house out and moving back to the UK but there was such alot of red tape attached to it that we have decided we will just have to be patient and hang on till it sells. I am sure the UK Government will ask if you have property in the US and that would immediately disqualify you from any housing benefit.

We will hang on and just keep our fingers crossed. Not much else we can do. Having your foot in both countries could get very expensive I think both countries would want taxes from you.

When we left the UK nearly 30years ago we got a tax bill while in Florida we had given them a forwarding address. We decided to pay it. I still have it. So they do keep tabs on what you are doing.

I am settling in to the fact that we will be here for another few months as nothing sells in the Winter.

Hope your friend is doing better Easterdawn do you think she might have a broken rib. My daughter fell off a horse and did not think to go to the hospital till a few weeks later turned out that she had broker her rib.
If you have a Green Card or if you are a USC you are required to submit annual US income tax returns anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.