Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

They normally require a utility or council tax bill/pension book/driving license/bank statement...something with your name and address on it. No a letter from your mum won't suffice.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you do if you are just renting room in some elses home. Would a letter from the landlady suffice, or a rent receipt.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They normally require a utility or council tax bill/pension book/driving license/bank statement...something with your name and address on it. No a letter from your mum won't suffice.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a copy of a letting agreement for renting the room? If you have one. Or maybe you can get one. Can you go and register for the council tax? maybe that would do it, although then they'd want money
Well it really was a lucky day even if you didn't get a job or bank account £38 is quite a haul, enough to feed you for a while
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
So what do you do if you are just renting room in some elses home. Would a letter from the landlady suffice, or a rent receipt.
A rent book with your name and address on it...something official that proves you are living where you say you are. I don't know about a letter from the landlady...check with the bank.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at the Dole office, Thursday was PI day ("personal issue"), when benefit checques were handed out to those with no fixed address (many were homeless, but others were in your situation, just didn't have a permanent home to speak of). Maybe there's a similar way to get an NI number.

PI day was always quite an odiferous experience, very eccentric characters.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Evening,

Well here is my blog for the day. It was pouring rain when I left this morning, and as I grumbled all the way to the bus station I got there just as the bus was pulling away. This was not a good start to the day, I thought. Next bus ten minutes, well that okay then. .........
Interesting narrative, thanks! It looks like things are starting to come together. Ayr sounds like a nice place... I was just looking at some pictures of it online. That "Lang Scots Mile" looks like it could get windy!!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
......... Maybe there's a similar way to get an NI number.
I thought everyone automatically gets a NI number when they turn 16?

Two of my sons were already living in the US when they turned 16, but they were nevertheless allocated a NI number. In order to find out what it was, we went to a Job Center with their passports, and the official there rang their head office (I think it's in Newcastle) to find out their numbers, and they wrote them down for us.

You don't need the actual NI card to be allowed to work, just as long as you know the number. If you have any old tax statements or wage slips, the number may be printed on on it. (I think it starts with 2 letters, followed by 6 digits and another letter.)
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira

Two of my sons were already living in the US when they turned 16, but they were nevertheless allocated a NI number. In order to find out what it was, we went to a Job Center with their passports, and the official there rang their head office (I think it's in Newcastle) to find out their numbers, and they wrote them down for us.

You don't need the actual NI card to be allowed to work, just as long as you know the number. If you have any old tax statements or wage slips, the number may be printed on on it. (I think it starts with 2 letters, followed by 6 digits and another letter.)
They do but Easterndawn left the UK before she was 16...I would think they should be able to look it up in their records. They sent my daughter's NI number to our US address when she was 16...can't remember how they got it.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira

I requested my nat.ins. number by email from HMRevenue and Customs office.
I filled out the form and if I remember they asked for the companies I worked
for. I could only remember 1 and was not sure of addresses and times but they found it anyway. I did not get a card just the number.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin,
Yes, it was quite windy there today, but lovely all the same, narrow streets and cobble stones. I think the town is very picturesque, but that might just be me and because it is home.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Interesting narrative, thanks! It looks like things are starting to come together. Ayr sounds like a nice place... I was just looking at some pictures of it online. That "Lang Scots Mile" looks like it could get windy!!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:11 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin,
Yes, it was quite windy there today, but lovely all the same, narrow streets and cobble stones. I think the town is very picturesque, but that might just be me and because it is home.
Home always feels good to me.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that you are home and getting arount Easterdawn I think once you get your own place you will feel alot better. It doesnt matter how good friends and relatives are just being in your own place is the best. That was a good idea about visiting the charity shops. I will have to remember to visit them. You mentioned computers are they compatable with the ones in the UK.? We have a laptop and a regular computer.
Please keep us updated.

Our house has been on the housing market for 6months so we now have to decide whether to stay with the same agency or go with a new one. I dont think it really matters at the moment nothing is moving.

Once the house sells I am going onto the 'Rightmove' website and look for a house to rent for a few months. It will be in Lancashire close to my family. My neice will check it out for me and make sure its in a good area.

I will have to remember to get intouch with the pension place in the UK and ask them to stop sending my pension to the US. We will keep the bank account open at both ends the only difference will be that cheques will be coming from the US to the UK. I did not move to the US till I was in my late thirties so my UK pension is not too bad.

I am not sure if the house will sell over the winter months but we have decided to keep it on the market.

Reading Easterdawns postings are making me quite homesick.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Trottytue, if you buy a new power cable for your laptop in the UK it'll work just fine, or use a plug adapter. Ds took his HP laptop with us to UK and Spain this year, he used an adapter, he was told while there the new cord with a UK plug on the end would work fine too.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Trottytue, if you buy a new power cable for your laptop in the UK it'll work just fine, or use a plug adapter. Ds took his HP laptop with us to UK and Spain this year, he used an adapter, he was told while there the new cord with a UK plug on the end would work fine too.
I bought a pack of 3 adaptors from Argos...think they cost around a tenner. As the others have said that's all you need for your laptop.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I bought a pack of 3 adaptors from Argos...think they cost around a tenner. As the others have said that's all you need for your laptop.
Ditto - though I bought a travel adaptor (only a bit more expensive than the Argos jobbies), because the regular size ones can be a bit cumbersome to shove in a laptop carrycase when travelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.