Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
From your pics, Cheers, Midway UT does bear a resemblance to Switzerland,
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As far as I can tell my accent hasn't changed since I was eight years old when I left Sheffield. My accent was never strong, but I don't sound anything like the natives of Glawster, where I completed school, nor Landan where I lived until I left for the US. Fifteen years in the US doesn't seem to have changed anything either - people still ask about my accent almost every week, often two or three times, and many people think I must have arrived recently!
It's a funny thing that: some lose their accents, some don't. Who knows why. Stranger still, like me, hanging on to it for years and then one day just letting it go - although I do still have the odd word here and there that still sounds British enough for someone to notice.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Cheers, see attached pics for what Switzerland looked like to us this past September. I was charmed by it.
Lovely!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
It's a funny thing that: some lose their accents, some don't. Who knows why. Stranger still, like me, hanging on to it for years and then one day just letting it go - although I do still have the odd word here and there that still sounds British enough for someone to notice.
Been here since 76, I changed from what was a Sheffield Yorkshire accent "Love" lol to something people could understand fairly quickly, I've always worked around the public and needed to be understood, slowing down my speech really helped a lot, Its nice that Americans were amused, so patient and understanding.

I can go back to the UK and they think I'm an American, here in the states people often think I got off the boat yesterday.

Today I met someone who my wife had spoken to over the phone, this young lady was totally fascinated with my wife's voice, In fact her boss told me she wanted to meet us, Heck I love when this happens, just talking, it makes my day and gets plenty of smiles.

What I find interesting is this, that I'm often asked about policies in the UK and
seem to get blamed for anything the UK does that Americans doesn't like, for example Brexit, one guy jumped down my throat really upset, after his rant I explained that I had no real clue about Brexit as I hadn't lived in the UK for 40 years.

On the good side they were happy William married Kate, I had nothing to do with Williams decision but people wanted to tell me how happy there were, I'm sure the same has happened to many of.

One of my sisters can turn her accents off and on at will to suit the situation, even then people all know shes British.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Been here since 76, I changed from what was a Sheffield Yorkshire accent "Love" lol to something people could understand fairly quickly, I've always worked around the public and needed to be understood, slowing down my speech really helped a lot, Its nice that Americans were amused, so patient and understanding.

I can go back to the UK and they think I'm an American, here in the states people often think I got off the boat yesterday.

Today I met someone who my wife had spoken to over the phone, this young lady was totally fascinated with my wife's voice, In fact her boss told me she wanted to meet us, Heck I love when this happens, just talking, it makes my day and gets plenty of smiles.

What I find interesting is this, that I'm often asked about policies in the UK and
seem to get blamed for anything the UK does that Americans doesn't like, for example Brexit, one guy jumped down my throat really upset, after his rant I explained that I had no real clue about Brexit as I hadn't lived in the UK for 40 years.

On the good side they were happy William married Kate, I had nothing to do with Williams decision but people wanted to tell me how happy there were, I'm sure the same has happened to many of.

One of my sisters can turn her accents off and on at will to suit the situation, even then people all know shes British.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one of those ON/OFF switches myself Fish although I don't use it much these days. Hubby found it rather unnerving one day when he heard me talking to a friend from Canada on the phone. I think he thought I'd been possessed or something.

I was always under the impression that I sounded as if I was straight off the boat although when I was back over here on my recce six years ago, a lot of people asked me if I was Canadian or American. Like you, I had to make myself understood when I left for Canada and I think I unconsciously slowed my speech down. We did know the odd Geordie over there and it was nice just to be able to relax and not worry about them not understanding the lingo.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I've got one of those ON/OFF switches myself Fish although I don't use it much these days. Hubby found it rather unnerving one day when he heard me talking to a friend from Canada on the phone. I think he thought I'd been possessed or something.

I was always under the impression that I sounded as if I was straight off the boat although when I was back over here on my recce six years ago, a lot of people asked me if I was Canadian or American. Like you, I had to make myself understood when I left for Canada and I think I unconsciously slowed my speech down. We did know the odd Geordie over there and it was nice just to be able to relax and not worry about them not understanding the lingo.
Curely...

Geordies, O.M.G. that's a totally different situation, we made good friends with some when we first arrived, even we had plenty of difficulty understanding them at first, we finally caught on then became translators for them sometimes, Great Folks I have to say.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney if you ever wondered why you left Las Vegas go and read the news for Las Vegas today on Las Vegas Review-Journal | The most reliable source for Las Vegas news.
The lifestyle there is sick. It is so common for people to loose their lives by acts of violence.

May I,

Merry Christmas

Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, Fish, happens to us all.

While in the US;
I recall sorrow expressed to me by a customer over the death of my Princess (Diana)
And a Sheriff's Deputy that blamed me for the death of his grandfather in WWII.

But then I have heard similar inane comments here in UK about 'Yanks'.

Hope you are well, good to see you still staying in touch.
John

Last edited by J.JsOH; Dec 1st 2016 at 9:46 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I have a really confusing accent to people. Growing up in Cape Town English suburbs with English grandparents, I never really did sound like a typical "sarf affrikan". After living here in Buckinghamshire for a couple of years, when I went home one of my friends teased me about being so "posh". Then when I moved to Canada, I definitely confused them there because I soon picked up some slight Canadian accent, the lilt at end of sentances and tomato sounded like potato! I was often asked if I was from New Zealand. However after returning on holiday to SA 4 years later my little niece asked if I was American! Back here now people tentatively ask if I am South African because accent has changed again and " tomato " is now normal. However when on phone to my friends in CT hubby says I go into SA mode! He on the other hand had a very strong London accent when I met him and since being with me and being away from Essex has dropped much of it! In Canada he was asked a couple of times if he was South African so being married to me and travelling out there regularly rubbed off on him. Having so many different accents now on tv I think also mixes up people because when I was growing up in Cape Town we only had the BBCEnglish to listen to plus the nuns at school drumming English diction into us!
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

While in the US;
I recall sorrow expressed to me by a customer over the death of my Princess (Diana)

John
I'm fine John and Thankyou.

Wow your WWII comment is unreal, Oh yes we've all heard those "Yanks" comments.

Lady Diana, If only she was alive now.

Good see you as always.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your posts always make me smile.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine John and Thankyou.

Wow your WWII comment is unreal, Oh yes we've all heard those "Yanks" comments.

Lady Diana, If only she was alive now.

Good see you as always.
You know of course that 'the Donald' wanted to date her?
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

While in the US;

John
I was here in the US on business when Princess Diana died. One of my business contacts brought a bunch of flowers to me in my hotel so that I could take them home.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your posts always make me smile.
Well that's a nice thing to say, Thankyou!.

Was it the "Love" comment that did it?

It seems Sheffield has a language all its own, If I want a dose of reality I watch "The Full Monty".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.