Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
We will be free!!!! we will be independent!!!!
and the whole world will want to trade with us because we are the 5th largest economy in the world. ----- so there
The "whole world" can trade with the UK now.

I see one "unintended consequence" of the referendum and the consequent collapse of the pound is that the income requirements for non-EU spouses are now considerably less in non-pound terms. It would be hilarious if an effect of the vote is an increase in non-EU immigration.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 8th 2016 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Ahem, that wasn't what you said:

"Also 9 out of 10 of the none British Nurses and Doctors I meet at work are from outside the EU"

whereas in reality the figure for the NHS is 7 out of 10 non-British doctors from outside the EU, i.e. 30% from the EEA (excluding UK).
I said pretty dam close, not spot on. Get off your high horse.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I said pretty dam close, not spot on. Get off your high horse.
Yeh, you only underestimated the number of EEA (non UK) doctors by a factor of three. "Pretty darn close"
Old Jul 8th 2016, 7:16 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Staying out of this as I have given up politicking for good Just wanted to agree with Rodney that it is good to see this thread revived. Carry on.
We just got back from England. Spent time with family in Surrey for a while, staying in the Epsom area. We then spent time in Rye and Eastbourne. Drove all around Kent and East Sussex. We went to Whitstable, Canterbury, Dover, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Rye, Camber Sands, Eastbourne, Battle, Brighton, Beachy Head, Rottingdean and Lewes.

I had forgotten how pretty Kent and Sussex are. The Sovereign Harbour area at Eastbourne is lovely - a great retirement area if you have the money. We also enjoyed Whitstable very much. Great shopping at Tunbridge Wells! You should definitely check out Kent. The warmest and driest area of the U.K.

We go off the beaten track, and go down little country lanes. Very pretty area, Never seen so many rabbits!
Old Jul 8th 2016, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Staying out of this as I have given up politicking for good Just wanted to agree with Rodney that it is good to see this thread revived. Carry on.
Ha Ha nice to see you again Perth!!!
Old Jul 8th 2016, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We just got back from England. Spent time with family in Surrey for a while, staying in the Epsom area. We then spent time in Rye and Eastbourne. Drove all around Kent and East Sussex. We went to Whitstable, Canterbury, Dover, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Rye, Camber Sands, Eastbourne, Battle, Brighton, Beachy Head, Rottingdean and Lewes.

I had forgotten how pretty Kent and Sussex are. The Sovereign Harbour area at Eastbourne is lovely - a great retirement area if you have the money. We also enjoyed Whitstable very much. Great shopping at Tunbridge Wells! You should definitely check out Kent. The warmest and driest area of the U.K.

We go off the beaten track, and go down little country lanes. Very pretty area, Never seen so many rabbits!
Wow Mallory you certainly took in a lot of places on your visit over here, good for you and glad you enjoyed your trip!!! a little sad though that you didn't get to see my home town of Pompey,
Oh by the way I only worked for 12 years altogether in the UK in my working life so I only qualified for a little wee UK pension about a third of the full pension.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:40 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow Mallory you certainly took in a lot of places on your visit over here, good for you and glad you enjoyed your trip!!! a little sad though that you didn't get to see my home town of Pompey,
Oh by the way I only worked for 12 years altogether in the UK in my working life so I only qualified for a little wee UK pension about a third of the full pension.
Had a great time visiting the SE. Spent six weeks in Shropshire last summer - that was v pretty. I love Shrewsbury!

I have a small Brit pension too, but will be so much smaller with the crash of the pound!
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you enjoyed the beautiful British countryside.

2 months ago we drove from Southampton to Cheshire. The green, neat British countryside always takes my breathe away. Cheshire is especially nice...the quaint pubs, the narrow lanes, the breathtaking views. Hubby would move back in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

2 months ago we drove from Southampton to Cheshire. The green, neat British countryside always takes my breathe away. Cheshire is especially nice...the quaint pubs, the narrow lanes, the breathtaking views. Hubby would move back in a heartbeat.
I lived in Macclesfield Cheshire in the 70,s. Never appreciated the countryside and the scenery as a young lad. I now go back regularly and marvel at the beauty of the scenery that was on my doorstep and berate myself for not enjoying the value of it all those years ago.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Cheshire for 10 years - I often wished I had never left!
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I lived in Macclesfield Cheshire in the 70,s. Never appreciated the countryside and the scenery as a young lad. I now go back regularly and marvel at the beauty of the scenery that was on my doorstep and berate myself for not enjoying the value of it all those years ago.
So did I! Broken Cross from 1972 to 1975. Tytherington from 1977 to 1979.

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I lived in Cheshire for 10 years - I often wished I had never left!
I moved to Chester in 1979...my husband is from Cheshire.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 9th 2016 at 11:51 am. Reason: Add another post
Old Jul 9th 2016, 12:10 pm
In the pink

Last year we were in the UK for the Indian summer. All of September, first two weeks of October. We drove from about 15 miles south of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth (sp). OMG the scenery is unreal, beautiful. We had cod and chips sitting on the sea front at A. Retirement is bliss!

We also stopped at Powys Castle on the way - not to be missed!
Old Jul 9th 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Had a great time visiting the SE. Spent six weeks in Shropshire last summer - that was v pretty. I love Shrewsbury!

I have a small Brit pension too, but will be so much smaller with the crash of the pound!
I feel so sorry for all the ex-pat Brits who are collecting or will shortly be collecting their British pensions - they will be worth a whole lot less with the fall of the pound - and according to experts, the pound will probably fall further. Only good thing is those moving back to the UK or going back there for a vacation will have more money. I was back last year so it will be a couple of years before I get back (only manage it every 3rd year, unless something comes up such as a wedding). My daughter, son-in-law and grand-kids are going to England in August - my daughter says she'll probably bring an extra suitcase - even if she has to pay for additional luggage. I guess she likes to shop!
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

So did I! Broken Cross from 1972 to 1975. Tytherington from 1977 to 1979.

I moved to Chester in 1979...my husband is from Cheshire.
Mill St. Primary 64-66 long since demolished ( not my fault ) then Kings school 1966 - 1972. left the town in 1979.

Judging by your primary school you would have lived around Whirley road, Gawsworth road, Weston estate area.

I go back regularly.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Mill St. Primary 64-66 long since demolished ( not my fault ) then Kings school 1966 - 1972. left the town in 1979.

Judging by your primary school you would have lived around Whirley road, Gawsworth road, Weston estate area.

I go back regularly.
I didn't go to school in Macc...I'm a Sheffield lass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.