Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
And the reason I said in my previous post England and Wales and not the United Kingdom is quite simple, ---- since the result of the referendum was to leave the E.U. ----- and that the U.K. Government has rightly committed to take the UK out of the E.U. No Ifs Or Buts we are leaving!!!! ---- shortly after the result, I think the very next day Nicholas Sturgeon announced that she will be holding yet another Scotish referendum to bring Scotland out of the U.K. AS SHE STILL WANTS TO STAY IN THE European Union, but it will not be easy for her to accomplish this as she will then have to apply for membership to the E.U. and will be considered as a brand new application and will have to wait several years for the E.U. to decide if they want Scotland as an independent member, they may indeed find themselves at the back of the Que as Obama said the UK would be if we came out of the E.U.

And Also Northern Ireland wants to leave the UK and apply for E.U. membership as most of them voted to stay in the E.U. and are very unhappy with the result!!!!
HENCE ----- I was just fast forwarding and calling us England and Wales, as this is what the Nation will be if Scotland and Northern Ireland's dreams one day in the future actually come true!!!!
Not so "Great" Britain if it ends up being a rump England & Wales.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Total number of EEA doctors is 11% Total number of non EEA foreign is 25.7%
So my 1 in 10 doctors I meet being from the EU is pretty dam close. There are still many more from outside EU. I said Nurses also. Most non UK ones I meet have been from the Philippines. On the ward I worked we had about 5, men and women from there and I knew others on other wards too. So outside EU was highly represented. Most already had UK citizenship.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:20 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what it says on my British Passport, yes it does say The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ------ BUT if you look at the (first word) above all that it says in big gold print ---- EUROPEAN UNION

And the reason I said in my previous post England and Wales and not the United Kingdom is quite simple, ---- since the result of the referendum was to leave the E.U. ----- and that the U.K. Government has rightly committed to take the UK out of the E.U. No Ifs Or Buts we are leaving!!!! ---- shortly after the result, I think the very next day Nicholas Sturgeon announced that she will be holding yet another Scotish referendum to bring Scotland out of the U.K. AS SHE STILL WANTS TO STAY IN THE European Union, but it will not be easy for her to accomplish this as she will then have to apply for membership to the E.U. and will be considered as a brand new application and will have to wait several years for the E.U. to decide if they want Scotland as an independent member, they may indeed find themselves at the back of the Que as Obama said the UK would be if we came out of the E.U.

And Also Northern Ireland wants to leave the UK and apply for E.U. membership as most of them voted to stay in the E.U. and are very unhappy with the result!!!!
HENCE ----- I was just fast forwarding and calling us England and Wales, as this is what the Nation will be if Scotland and Northern Ireland's dreams one day in the future actually come true!!!!
*sigh*

It saddens me to see that you don't get how this kind of talk creates divide and disenfranchises both Scotland and Northern Ireland. Not just now, but for decades.

But then, that was the biggest problem during the entire run-up to the referendum. Rhetorical thinking, glib comments and wholesale categorization of groups of people.

Very sad. Very sad indeed.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Total number of EEA doctors is 11% Total number of non EEA foreign is 25.7%
So my 1 in 10 doctors I meet being from the EU is pretty dam close.
Ahem, that wasn't what you said:

"Also 9 out of 10 of the none British Nurses and Doctors I meet at work are from outside the EU"

whereas in reality the figure for the NHS is 7 out of 10 non-British doctors from outside the EU, i.e. 30% from the EEA (excluding UK).
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
*sigh*

It saddens me to see that you don't get how this kind of talk creates divide and disenfranchises both Scotland and Northern Ireland. Not just now, but for decades.

But then, that was the biggest problem during the entire run-up to the referendum. Rhetorical thinking, glib comments and wholesale categorization of groups of people.

Agreed. Jasper is a "little Englander" to the core. I had hoped that kind of mentality had diminished over the decades, but the Brexit campaign has made it clear it hasn't.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Lorac you are right about the example I gave of working mothers was not the greatest argument, but I was looking at it through an employers point of view really, yes its great for the mother but a big problem for the employer who has to not only pay her full wages for 6 months and then half wages for another 6 months but also has the problem of replacing that employee for a year (and) the additional cost that goes along with training another to take her place, and paying the extra salary, I just cant see how employers can be too happy about that, American employers must think it rather funny that there Brit counterparts would be forced to do this I would think!!! no wonder there are so many businesses in the UK closing there doors and going bankrupt!!!

I'm sorry Rodney but this is just as gob-smacking as your previous comments. You honestly think that it is maternity leave that has made 'many businesses in the UK closing their doors and going bankrupt' . That is a really illogical and to be honest an exceedingly sexist argument as you are basically saying to women - 'don't go to work if you are getting married and planning on having a family' - that mind set existed in the early 1900's but I really thought we had grown beyond that

And how you can even possibly use America in this argument when they are one of the only countries in the world that do not pay any maternity leave is beyond me. The amount of women I knew in the US who basically had to give up their work because their companies could get away with paying them nothing and in many cases losing many years of experience as a result is staggering. And before you tell me they didn't have to leave their jobs - most could not afford to pay someone to look after their baby so basically had no choice but to leave. The UK is actually behind many other countries in what it does offer. See attached link that shows a map of maternity leave policies worldwide:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...-world/373117/

I agree the benefit system needs tightening up but maternity leave is not one of those benefits that is at fault.

Last edited by Lorac05; Jul 7th 2016 at 9:07 pm. Reason: Corrected the link.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I'm sorry Rodney but this is just as gob-smacking as your previous comments. You honestly think that it is maternity leave that has made 'many businesses in the UK closing their doors and going bankrupt' . That is a really illogical and to be honest an exceedingly sexist argument as you are basically saying to women - 'don't go to work if you are getting married and planning on having a family' - that mind set existed in the early 1900's but I really thought we had grown beyond that

And how you can even possibly use America in this argument when they are one of the only countries in the world that do not pay any maternity leave is beyond me. The amount of women I knew in the US who basically had to give up their work because their companies could get away with paying them nothing and in many cases losing many years of experience as a result is staggering. And before you tell me they didn't have to leave their jobs - most could not afford to pay someone to look after their baby so basically had no choice but to leave. The UK is actually behind many other countries in what it does offer. See attached link that shows a map of maternity leave policies worldwide:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/newre...ply&p=11996397

I agree the benefit system needs tightening up but maternity leave is not one of those benefits that is at fault.
Wrong link.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wrong link.

Opps - I have edited the post and included the correct link thanks
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
*sigh*

That kind of talk did not come from me it came from a much higher power ---- Nick Sturgoen ---- very closely followed by the remarks of the N. Ireland leader, they are both talking of asking the British Governments permission to hold #1 another Scottish referendum, and #2 the N. Ireland want to ask for there referendum to break away from the UK and well some may say that is pretty sad, but I guess its all according how one looks at it!!! frankly in that scenario I would feel deeply sorry for any small nation to break away from the United Kingdom, ---- rather then feel sorry for what will be left --- England and Wales, and I'm just stating a fact here but when England ruled America along with a good chunk of the world at the time, was it not just England, I don't think we were a united kingdom at that time, I may be wrong on that point,
this is just what I think, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!! after all on here the discussions can some times get a little heated but we should always remember that all the members are just airing there opinions, thats all, we are free to do this you know as long as we remember to always respect each other!!! but if I am right what I'm saying is we ---- England were a pretty darn powerful force in the world back in the day, and if all this is right and we were so strong both in economy and military power then I'm sure now --- today we at our current diminished strength should be able to take on this awful bureaucratic club called the E.U.

Note ----- just 4 days ago on July 4th this over 40's thread suddenly woke up and decided it wanted to live, after months of stagnation where you would not get a single new post, now look at it it feels like the old days when I first joined this thread in 2009 when trottytrue started it up!!! you see all it took was someone to write a few posts about a certain subject that would surely get a whole lot of people a little angry, and then all of a sudden a lot of buttons were pushed all at the same time,and everyone joined in, well it worked did it not? and so aint life great, here we are a whole bunch of real nice people scattered around the whole wide world talking to each other at a rapid pace sometimes agreeing and sometimes not, and having an absolutely lovely time lets keep it up!!!! but lets not get too personal and call people names, I think that is wrong, and it goes against my Atheist faith
Old Jul 8th 2016, 1:09 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, the days of colonialism are long gone. What are you going to advocate for next? That the Royal Navy rebuild the Mary Rose?

Sturgeon called for a referendum because the landscape of staying in the UK has changed, and changed less than two years since the Scottish voted. She wouldn't be much of a leader if she didn't question what is going to happen to her country after the referendum result.

Martin McGuinness is not "the Northern Ireland leader". I can assure you he doesn't speak for the whole of the Northern Ireland Assembly. How much do you know about Northern Ireland? Spend any time there during the Troubles? Been there lately? Especially to my husband's home city, Londonderry, which was the UK City of Culture in 2013? Have you seen the Peace Bridge, built with EU funding? Have you any idea how much attention the EU has paid to Northern Ireland, pouring cash and projects into the country in order to help her Majesty's government stabilize the region?

Northern Ireland projects to tap into £208m worth of new European funding - BBC News

It's all well and good to say everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when an opinion sounds like it oppresses people, or indicates a lack of understanding of how those people legitimately feel, then it is not the fault of those people to call out those words.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper, you state that 'no ifs and buts, we are leaving' but that isn't the case, a referendum was help where a small majority voted to leave, however the referendum result isn't binding in law, it's just advisory. The real hard work will now start with a divided government trying to get article 50 through Parliament with two houses that are opposed to leaving the EU. Nothing has yet been done, and will not be until after September 9th when we get, god help us if she's anything like Thatcher, a new female Prime Minister.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Jasper, you state that 'no ifs and buts, we are leaving' but that isn't the case, a referendum was help where a small majority voted to leave, however the referendum result isn't binding in law, it's just advisory. The real hard work will now start with a divided government trying to get article 50 through Parliament with two houses that are opposed to leaving the EU. Nothing has yet been done, and will not be until after September 9th when we get, god help us if she's anything like Thatcher, a new female Prime Minister.
Mikelinks I don't understand why so many people like you are totally in denial,
you seem to want to think up any argument possible to convince yourself that the referendum result of leave really does not mean that we are actually leaving, Mike we are indeed leaving, of course not now, we all know it takes 2 years minimum to actually leave after article 50 is triggered by the P.M.

negotiations will be going on between our government and the E.U. for that whole two years to negotiate the best possible deal for us all, eventually resulting to our total exit from the European Union,

Don't worry nothing will change for at least two years, the UK will continue to pay our membership fee to the EU, THEY will continue to give us back a little here and there which amounts to around half of the amount we pay,
But Don't fool yourself in thinking that the result of this referendum is not binding or legal, all the nonsense you hear in your google searches is just spin, lots & lots of spin!!!!

there was even an on line partition signed by over a million people that want the government to hold another referendum
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH this little englander says!!!!
the partition has been totally ignored as just that by the government, in saying that we had a referendum, the majority of the British people have told us that they want us to take them out of the E.U. and this is exactly what we must do!!!

Mike let me ask you a question, do you think that it would be ok for the government to over turn a general election? or for the people to demand another election because they did not agree with the result?
lets take an example, last year we had a general election and Conservatives won by a very small majority which took them out of the coalition with the Lib Dems, but the conservative majority was in comparison about the same as it was with this referendum to leave the E.U.
Labour only lost the election by a small margin, so would it be OK or reasonable for Ed Milliban the labour party leader at the time to demand that the government hold another election cause they did not like the result? if this was allowed then where would this end? even local elections could be questioned in the same way, and can you imagine what problems all this would cause!!!
Any Nations Government is either democratic or its run as a dictatorship, or somewhere in between, British politics is run by a democratic government, and thank goodness for that!!!
We had a very important referendum vote, the result was the majority no matter how small that majority was ----- voted for us to leave the E.U. if however most of the 18 to 24 year olds got off there lazy butts and went out and voted then the result would have been a lot different, but they stayed at home and only around one third of the young voters voted
But as it is BREXIT means BREXIT, and thats how it is and no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that all this is not happening ---- it is happening and we all just need to come together and help make the UK a much better and in time richer nation,
We will be free!!!! we will be independent!!!!
and the whole world will want to trade with us because we are the 5th largest economy in the world. ----- so there
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:33 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

and the whole world will want to trade with us because we are the 5th largest economy in the world. ----- so there
Not fifth largest economy anymore, now sixth. France is now fifth since Brexit. UK is on the way down, just like the pound. So sad.

Bet you are loving having that US social security cheque paid in dollars though! And a British state pension to go with it.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Staying out of this as I have given up politicking for good Just wanted to agree with Rodney that it is good to see this thread revived. Carry on.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:30 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Perth
Staying out of this as I have given up politicking for good Just wanted to agree with Rodney that it is good to see this thread revived. Carry on.

Yeah, nice to know we were baited, ain't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.