Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 21st 2015, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Norwich is where John and June from this thread live since they came home from 20 years in America.
Yes, and John has been extremely helpful through PM. I am very grateful to him. He has solidified our decision to relocate there
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Hello Perth I'm coming rather late to the conversation so apologies if you've already answered this question elsewhere but can I ask why you've settled on Norwich, in preference to Exeter and Cardiff? I'm interested because I'm hoping to move back to the UK myself in a few years (when I retire) and these are the 3 cities that I have shortlisted, based on the little research I've done so far.
Hi Helen! Funny that you came up with the same 3 cities. Norwich ticked all the boxes, whereas the other two had some but not all. Below is a post I made on the North Norfolk thread:

After other diversions, we have settled on Norwich. Reasons include: more manageable terrain for our aging bones; very low crime rate; the lack of major motorways going through the county; good rail system; The Broads; the ocean being nearby, with the spectacular sky and beach...
Read thread here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...orfolk-866398/

I would add this re Norwich being a book lovers paradise:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/tr...r-norwich.html

Also, Sheringham has a steam engine, and a club that maintains, manages and promotes rides, something we are both interested in doing in retirement.

It has other clubs and organisations that the OH and I are interested (in his case, a thriving folk music club, for example.) I think it is important to make sure that there are the social connections you want to have, if you are going somewhere new. I am still researching and finding out new things all the time, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Hi Helen! Funny that you came up with the same 3 cities. Norwich ticked all the boxes, whereas the other two had some but not all. Below is a post I made on the North Norfolk thread: After other diversions, we have settled on Norwich. Reasons include: more manageable terrain for our aging bones; very low crime rate; the lack of major motorways going through the county; good rail system; The Broads; the ocean being nearby, with the spectacular sky and beach...Read thread here:http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...orfolk-866398/ I would add this re Norwich being a book lovers paradise:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/tr...r-norwich.html Also, Sheringham has a steam engine, and a club that maintains, manages and promotes rides, something we are both interested in doing in retirement. It has other clubs and organisations that the OH and I are interested (in his case, a thriving folk music club, for example.) I think it is important to make sure that there are the social connections you want to have, if you are going somewhere new. I am still researching and finding out new things all the time, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Many thanks for that, Perth. I need to get over to England and start investigating these places properly. Have a trip to Cardiff planned next month. I've heard very good reports about Norwich and it does seem to get less rain than Exeter and Cardiff (see Met Office data Norwich climate information - Met Office). Exeter and Cardiff both have direct flights to Belfast (which is a factor for me as I have family there) but it's not a deal-breaker. I suspect in the end it will all come down to "vibe" and your mention of second-hand bookshops makes me think it's probably my kind of place. The one big red line where my plans to return to the UK are concerned is healthcare but Im fervently hoping it's not as bad as I hear, or at least improves by the time I get there.....!
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Yes, and John has been extremely helpful through PM. I am very grateful to him. He has solidified our decision to relocate there
I am pleased I can help, Perth, thanks.

Hi everyone, I don't visit here much lately but my ears were burning today so thought I would take a look in.
We live in a suburb / village in West Norfolk, about 45 miles west of Norwich. I like Norfolk and would be happy to be closer to Norwich for I like the atmosphere, the buzz on the streets and culture of the city. I have visted Exeter too and felt quite 'at home' there. Jasper's (Hi Rodney) town of Portsmouth and next door Southsea is home from home for me from my time in Royal Navy. I like being a tourist visitor to towns.

Norfolk is very popular with different peoples. Many middle classes sell their homes down south and retire here on the proceeds. Well orf people from dahn south buy second homes on the northern coast. Eastern europeans accumulate around the agricultural towns in the fens. Original Norfolk folks are sprinkled throughout. Students in Norwich of course. Military presence too, somewhat. Generally one comes across all of these and more in travels around. But then similar could probably be said of many other areas.

I like Norfolk,in general, but then, as country born and raised, I like most countryside, anywhere, because I can mostly get away from the confines of towns and people, even for a couple hours.
Yes, I would be happy to choose 'a home that suited me' in the countryside near and with access to Norwich. We will be staying some nights in Norwich next week to attend a festival.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Oct 21st 2015 at 6:43 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Many thanks for that, Perth. I need to get over to England and start investigating these places properly. Have a trip to Cardiff planned next month. I've heard very good reports about Norwich and it does seem to get less rain than Exeter and Cardiff (see Met Office data Norwich climate information - Met Office). Exeter and Cardiff both have direct flights to Belfast (which is a factor for me as I have family there) but it's not a deal-breaker. I suspect in the end it will all come down to "vibe" and your mention of second-hand bookshops makes me think it's probably my kind of place. The one big red line where my plans to return to the UK are concerned is healthcare but Im fervently hoping it's not as bad as I hear, or at least improves by the time I get there.....!
Oh yes, I did forget that it is generally drier and sunnier there
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH

Hi everyone, I don't visit here much lately but my ears were burning today so thought I would take a look in.
We live in a suburb / village in West Norfolk, about 45 miles west of Norwich. I like Norfolk and would be happy to be closer to Norwich for I like the atmosphere, the buzz on the streets and culture of the city. I have visted Exeter too and felt quite 'at home' there. Jasper's (Hi Rodney) town of Portsmouth and next door Southsea is home from home for me from my time in Royal Navy. I like being a tourist visitor to towns.

Norfolk is very popular with different peoples. Many middle classes sell their homes down south and retire here on the proceeds. Well orf people from dahn south buy second homes on the northern coast. Eastern europeans accumulate around the agricultural towns in the fens. Original Norfolk folks are sprinkled throughout. Students in Norwich of course. Military presence too, somewhat. Generally one comes across all of these and more in travels around. But then similar could probably be said of many other areas.

I like Norfolk,in general, but then, as country born and raised, I like most countryside, anywhere, because I can mostly get away from the confines of towns and people, even for a couple hours.
Yes, I would be happy to choose 'a home that suited me' in the countryside near and with access to Norwich. We will be staying some nights in Norwich next week to attend a festival.
Hello John! Nice to see you here. I will probably be in touch again soon as things are developing over here. With any luck we will move our timeline up to summer! Enjoy the festival and best to June.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH

Hi John & June,
Very nice to hear from you again, are you coming to Portsmouth again next year? I would love to get together with both of you again, you are good people, have a nice time at the festival in Norwich,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

usbrit2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this is USBrit...Brit for short, haha. Very enlightening, I'd say. Some of you know I went back to England to live earlier this year, July in fact, and some of you, or even less, may know I came back to the US after a couple of months. I had a strong guilty feeling of leaving my daughter, granddaughter and son here is the US, and was pulled back due to family circumstances and being on Skype a lot when my daughter needed some help with a job she was trying to secure....she got it, by the way.
I've been back in the US now since August, but I'll return to England on October 27, arriving the 28th. I'll be staying in a room in Exmouth, a lovely town on the River Exe that runs into the English Channel. Thought about Norwich, but then decided against that to be a little closer to one of my family members who lives north of Bournemouth.
The day I landed back here in the US I knew it was a mistake and that I'd be going back to England...now the time has come to go back, and I'm in a better frame of mind. I got the 'cheapest' one-way flight from Bos, MA to Gatwick, paid $235 in all, WOW Air.
Read some of the earlier posts, September's, and Fish and Chips and Jasper, for instance, just to let you know you are able to make us ALL feel at home here.
Keep up the good work.Fredie
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usbrit2015
...I'll be staying in a room in Exmouth, a lovely town on the River Exe that runs into the English Channel....
Lovely little place, Exmouth. Nice park. Nice fluffy sand on the beach. Not far from Sidmouth. Convenient for Exeter.

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 12:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

who lives north of Bournemouth.
Bournemouth and surrounds
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

"I'll be staying in a room in Exmouth, a lovely town on the River Exe that runs into the English Channel" (usbrit2015)

How exciting. I've been browsing properties in Exeter on Zoopla and have noticed that Exmouth is more affordable so I'm curious to know what it's like.
I'll be particularly interested to hear how you find it in the winter and whether there's plenty going on in Exmouth itself or whether you really need to travel to Exeter (not that it's far).
I was in Devon and Cornwall for a holiday last year for the first time in 40 years and was taken aback by how friendly and pleasant people were.
Are you planning to settle in Devon in the long term?

Last edited by Helen1964; Oct 23rd 2015 at 4:34 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol UK, Is that stuff in the photo legal ? Prescription only ?
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Legal or not, it's inspired me to get busy baking this afternoon
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, this is USBrit...Brit for short, haha. Very enlightening, I'd say. Some of you know I went back to England to live earlier this year, July in fact, and some of you, or even less, may know I came back to the US after a couple of months. I had a strong guilty feeling of leaving my daughter, granddaughter and son here is the US, and was pulled back due to family circumstances and being on Skype a lot when my daughter needed some help with a job she was trying to secure....she got it, by the way.
I've been back in the US now since August, but I'll return to England on October 27, arriving the 28th. I'll be staying in a room in Exmouth, a lovely town on the River Exe that runs into the English Channel. Thought about Norwich, but then decided against that to be a little closer to one of my family members who lives north of Bournemouth.
The day I landed back here in the US I knew it was a mistake and that I'd be going back to England...now the time has come to go back, and I'm in a better frame of mind. I got the 'cheapest' one-way flight from Bos, MA to Gatwick, paid $235 in all, WOW Air.
Read some of the earlier posts, September's, and Fish and Chips and Jasper, for instance, just to let you know you are able to make us ALL feel at home here.
Keep up the good work.Fredie
$235 one way from Boston to London ---- wow what a deal!!!! I remember when I came home in 2010 for good and when I was researching flights I found that single flights from Vegas were even more then a roundtrip ticket, so I settled for $820 roundtrip on virgin atlantic, of course I didn't need the return part of the ticket,
Well you are not the first that came back home and found after a little while that they were drawn back to U.S. again, so many people on here leave family back there, and it must be very difficult, especially when its your grown kids and little grandkids, so many are torn between the two worlds!!!
I was lucky not to have any family in the U.S.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 1:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Clotted cream probably illegal in Canada, just like Quorn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.