Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Then as an American he doesn't need to give up his American citizenship when he takes the British one...AFAIK

Dual Nationality

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another.

Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality.

However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality

Last edited by not2old; Jun 22nd 2015 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

On the basis of what you've said, your son is a British citizen by descent. He is entitled to live and work in the UK and he does not have to renounce his USA citizenship. My own husband is a British citizen on the exactly same basis (and no the rules have not changed since he got his British passport). And he holds dual Canadian and British nationality.

It's very difficult to understand what the problem is here.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Septic guy is here digging up our lawn and already saying to OH if it is older than 1990 it may have to be replaced! We only had the distribution box replaced and diligently emptied every two years we have lived here (14 years) and always careful what we put down. Our friends have now left to go home. The Home Inspection is put back to Thursday and the two of us are now basket cases!

Don't know how much more of this I can take!!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
On the basis of what you've said, your son is a British citizen by descent. He is entitled to live and work in the UK and he does not have to renounce his USA citizenship. My own husband is a British citizen on the exactly same basis (and no the rules have not changed since he got his British passport). And he holds dual Canadian and British nationality.

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Septic guy is here digging up our lawn and already saying to OH if it is older than 1990 it may have to be replaced ...
Excellent post pairing!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You have my profile down and it is correct.
My son is my biological.
As others have said the rules for children of British fathers may have changed.
He has British birth certificate issued at the British Consulate in San Francisco.
He has sent away for a passport so we will see if there are any restrictions when he receives it in the mail. The last time he mentioned that he may have wasted $150 because of the limitations that it has. This has all been discussed on here. It is confusing.

Cheers
Hi cheers,
First of all I dont think you need to stress yourself out over this, I think it will all be a lot clearer as things progress, what is confusing to me now though is what you say that your Son was born in California, so why would he have a British birth certificate issued from the San francisco British Embassy/consulate ---- surely he would have an American birth certificate,
I always thought that you automatically receive your birth certificate from the country you were born at!!!
Now me thinking in the reverse, ---- take me for example, Im like you really, a little younger maybe but our circumstances are simular, I am British born like you, my Son was born in England with a british birth certificate and he has a british passport and I am his biological father, he is in his 40's now, he has never lived in America, and never wants to, but I did once years ago enquire at the American immigration department if my Son wanted to live in America how could he obtain the right to live and work permanently there, I was told that if I were an american citizen I could sponsor him and he would have full rights in the U.S. but it would take around two years, I dont know but maybe it works the same in England in reverse? ----- maybe?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Septic guy is here digging up our lawn and already saying to OH if it is older than 1990 it may have to be replaced! We only had the distribution box replaced and diligently emptied every two years we have lived here (14 years) and always careful what we put down. Our friends have now left to go home. The Home Inspection is put back to Thursday and the two of us are now basket cases!

Don't know how much more of this I can take!!
OMG I had no idea that selling a house in North America was so complicated, makes me kind of thankful that I was never in the market to buy a house over there, inspectors digging up the lawn, and why on earth would it have to be replaced simply cause the lawn is older then 1990 ---- so what!!!
I feel for both of you, just hang in there and try to keep calm, I wonder if we have the same system in the U.K. when selling a house, does anyone know? is it just as complicated maybe.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
OMG I had no idea that selling a house in North America was so complicated, makes me kind of thankful that I was never in the market to buy a house over there, inspectors digging up the lawn, and why on earth would it have to be replaced simply cause the lawn is older then 1990 ---- so what!!!
I feel for both of you, just hang in there and try to keep calm, I wonder if we have the same system in the U.K. when selling a house, does anyone know? is it just as complicated maybe.
Old septic tanks can be dangerous. There are cases of people walking in their gardens and the septic tank and ground giving way...they fall in and cannot get out. What a way to go.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

oh Rodney you did give me a giggle. No the lawn is not old. The pipes in the septic field are over 40 years old and are not draining away the much as they should do! When we came here "straight off the boat" so to speak, we did not even know what all this was and just bought the house with only the home inspection. Yes it is very stressful and we are almost at the end of our tether because we have only been here 14 years and have kept up all maintenance and spent a fortune upgrading over the years! We are hanging in there but only just!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Old septic tanks can be dangerous. There are cases of people walking in their gardens and the septic tank and ground giving way...they fall in and cannot get out. What a way to go.
No our tank is a sealed unit and is fine, next to house and pipes are small and 3 ft under surface! It is hard to believe in this day and age that we still have septics in the outlying areas after all we are only 5 min drive to the city!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Excellent post pairing!
see the funny side of this now! I should have quoted one of my old posts but I know most of the regulars know what is going on with us! Case of presumption!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

No our tank is a sealed unit and is fine, next to house and pipes are small and 3 ft under surface! It is hard to believe in this day and age that we still have septics in the outlying areas after all we are only 5 min drive to the city!
Hi fb. I feel for you. I too am on a septic tank & field and though my place isn't up for sale yet, there seems to be this situation where older septic tanks are being replaced as conditions of sale and that's a cost of... what?... $10,000? I am worried that I might end up in that situation even though, as you did, I replaced the distribution box and it seems to be working perfectly fine. I am very careful with it too. I am following your situation with great interest since we are practically neighbours. Hope you don't have to have it replaced. If you do, it might be worth bargaining for a lesser amount and going forward with the sale anyway. Did you get a good offer or was it a lowball? Hope it all works out.

I remember last year when you had decided to stay and I too go through the same changes of heart. I had thought that I would stay, Salt Spring Island being an amazing place, but now I am feeling that it is time to leave and so many reasons I would like to be in the UK. My challenge is always to get the house ready to sell when I live alone and am working hard. Only so much energy left at my age! Anyway I have quit one of my jobs that I was hating so will have a bit more time and will make a supreme effort.

Good luck with everything. Remember there is only so much that you can do and the rest is out of your control. Easy for me to say, right?

Sending you best wishes and feeling that you are making the right decision.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi fb. I feel for you. I too am on a septic tank & field and though my place isn't up for sale yet, there seems to be this situation where older septic tanks are being replaced as conditions of sale and that's a cost of... what?... $10,000? I am worried that I might end up in that situation even though, as you did, I replaced the distribution box and it seems to be working perfectly fine. I am very careful with it too. I am following your situation with great interest since we are practically neighbours. Hope you don't have to have it replaced. If you do, it might be worth bargaining for a lesser amount and going forward with the sale anyway. Did you get a good offer or was it a lowball? Hope it all works out.

I remember last year when you had decided to stay and I too go through the same changes of heart. I had thought that I would stay, Salt Spring Island being an amazing place, but now I am feeling that it is time to leave and so many reasons I would like to be in the UK. My challenge is always to get the house ready to sell when I live alone and am working hard. Only so much energy left at my age! Anyway I have quit one of my jobs that I was hating so will have a bit more time and will make a supreme effort.

Good luck with everything. Remember there is only so much that you can do and the rest is out of your control. Easy for me to say, right?

Sending you best wishes and feeling that you are making the right decision.
Hi Bandrui, yes I remember you also wanted to go back at one stage! My OH has mixed feeling still but made worse by British friends staying with us and reminding him what it was like there! The buyer originally made a very low ball offer which is "par for the course", we told them we were insulted and will no longer even consider negotiating with them until they came back with a better offer. They did still low but we know where they want to be and we never accepted it gave them $11 000 off eventually which on our house (mid 400's) was a compromise but gave them quick completion date as they had to be out of their home July 21st. We anticipate more money to be taken off and hope that it is negotiable as the field is working and they can live with it like this, emptying it every 2 years and flushing field every 3 years but we probably will give them something for "future" work. We are waiting for the dreaded home inspection now! Feeling really sick. I feel we should negotiate a sum and walk away from this house! OH not so happy and because he would rather stay especially now the weather is beautiful is undecided as to how much. We both agree we would never purchase another house in Canada ever!!! So the wait is still on. Thanks for your wishes and good luck with all your plans too!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, if one lives in a city.....no problems.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I just talked to my son on the phone and he said he had not sent in the application because there was something on it that said he had to renouce his nationality. No way that is going to happen!
So that's where he is at and the 90 day clock is ticking.
I will see if I can find the form. I think it is online.

Cheers ( in the hot place)
He has US citizenship. He was born in California.
Originally Posted by not2old
Then as an American he doesn't need to give up his American citizenship when he takes the British one...AFAIK

Dual Nationality

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another.

Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality.

However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality
Originally Posted by Editha

He does NOT have to renounce anything. He can be a dual citizen and hold both passports.
By the sound of what you have posted here there is no problem with him getting full rights to live and work in the Uk.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You have my profile down and it is correct.
My son is my biological.
As others have said the rules for children of British fathers may have changed.
He has British birth certificate issued at the British Consulate in San Francisco.
He has sent away for a passport so we will see if there are any restrictions when he receives it in the mail. The last time he mentioned that he may have wasted $150 because of the limitations that it has. This has all been discussed on here. It is confusing.

Cheers
I just talked to my son on the phone and he said he had not sent in the application because there was something on it that said he had to renouce his nationality. No way that is going to happen!
So that's where he is at and the 90 day clock is ticking.
I will see if I can find the form. I think it is online.

Cheers ( in the hot place)
He has US citizenship. He was born in California.
From the information you've given your son is already a British citizen by descent as well as a US citizen by birth and has been since the day he was born. Both the UK and US allow dual nationality and there is no requirement on either side to renounce one citizenship to hold the other.

Providing your son's British passport describes him as a British Citizen then he can move to the UK and start work tomorrow as he has all the same rights to live and work in the UK (Right of Abode) as any other British citizen.

I'm sure where he's getting his information from but either his source is wrong or he's misinterpreting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.