Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

If your son has a British passport, then he has the right to reside in Britain and work there. If he doesn't understand that, then he must be very stupid indeed.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
My son is telling me he is getting his British Passport and he says it doesn't allow him to stay in the UK (rhyme there?) or work there.
Cheers
Whoever told him that is an idiot, having the passport proves he is a British Citizen and therefore has the legal right to live and work in the UK
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
How long is it since you spent a summer there? Even though I had broken my neck, back, ribs etc., once I rented a wheelchair from the Red Cross, it was an amazing summer. My brother would help me out to the gardens of ours and neighbors, all backing onto the Belfast Botanic Gardens. Lots of high jinks :-) the silly people got big sunburns.....me after 42 years in TX.....stayed in the shade. Can't wait to spend the next few weeks packing up to go permanently again.
Not sure if that question was to me... I was in UK 2 years ago just for two weeks in September, I loved it I always do...

Good Luck on your permanent return...
Old Jun 19th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Whoever told him that is an idiot, having the passport proves he is a British Citizen and therefore has the legal right to live and work in the UK
BiP posted before that there are 6 types of British passports and only one of them allows the holder to live and work in the UK or EEA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport
Old Jun 19th 2015, 4:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I flew off the handle because of Cheers' flippant crack about Europe being invaded by Africans.

But, although I defer to BiP's knowledge on this matter, I don't count five (categories of passport holder with no right to work or live in the UK) from that wiki page.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
But, although I defer to BiP's knowledge on this matter, I don't count five (categories of passport holder with no right to work or live in the UK) from that wiki page.
I don't doubt BiPs knowledge on this matter either and because of that I didn't check when he said that a few months ago.
A quick google just now after reading your comment shows that BiP is correct.
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ality/overview

Last edited by formula; Jun 19th 2015 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by usbrit2015
Jasper, Well, well, who'da thunk it. Jolly old England (the name LLoyd is Welsh however--so was Lloyds bank an English bank opened by a Welshman, any idea?).
It seems the inventor of the atm was John Shepherd-Barron who was managing director of De La Rue Instruments. He had an English mother (who was an international tennis player) and a Scottish father.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shepherd-Barron

Barclays Bank installed the first atm in England in 1967, at their branch in Enfield, north London.

Last edited by formula; Jun 19th 2015 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 11:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by formula
I don't doubt BiPs knowledge on this matter either and because of that I didn't check when he said that a few months ago.
A quick google just now after reading your comment shows that BiP is correct.
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ality/overview
OK, so the question is, which of the categories does Cheers's son belong to?
Old Jun 19th 2015, 11:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so the question is, which of the categories does Cheers's son belong to?
we could play this one out as a quiz, winner takes the prize & cheers confirms

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...otected-person

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ional-overseas

Last edited by not2old; Jun 19th 2015 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:49 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by not2old
we could play this one out as a quiz, winner takes the prize & cheers confirms

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...otected-person

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ional-overseas

I was under the impression that Cheers is a British citizen by birth who has been in the USA since the fifties. If so, his son would have full citizenship by descent, wouldn't he?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that Cheers is a British citizen by birth who has been in the USA since the fifties. If so, his son would have full citizenship by descent, wouldn't he?
never say never.

Would be interested to see the response from cheers
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much F&C. My daughter who is a lawyer in NYC's husband, was "headhunted" by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-Upon-Avon, for his skills in IT in the NYC theatre scene. He flew for an interview last month and they are leaving July 9th. He got a Visa through my daughter's Irish citizenship as he wasn't able to do so through her UK citizenship. Good thing she had both passports having parents who were born in Northern Ireland.
Now I've got get moving fast!!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Thanks so much F&C. My daughter who is a lawyer in NYC's husband, was "headhunted" by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-Upon-Avon, for his skills in IT in the NYC theatre scene. He flew for an interview last month and they are leaving July 9th. He got a Visa through my daughter's Irish citizenship as he wasn't able to do so through her UK citizenship. Good thing she had both passports having parents who were born in Northern Ireland.
Now I've got get moving fast!!
That sounds wonderful I'm sure you are very Happy...
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
It looks to me that Europe has been invaded by Africa!
Look at all the boats arriving in Italy.
100 years ago it was the other way around
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

It is difficult to imagine the horror of the lives they have left behind, that impels the migrants are prepared to take the risks they do to reach safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.