Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Islandwoman120....I would very interested in joining anything to do with gardens. I was really looking forward to a garden in Englande but I am going to work on one here. I miss green grass you have to spend a fortune here to get your grass growing and as I am against all those chemicals being dropped on my lawn I have to try other things. Off course sthe dog doesn't help. I went into the local a garden centre at the end of October they had a sale on tree's so I bought a 7ft weeping willow for $10 my daughter helped me plant it, well she dug the hole I gave orders. I am looking forward to seeing if it survive the winter.

I have a friend who lives outside Chester she had moved and was feeling very lonely her husband had died I suggested she join something in town to meet people she joined the gardening club and has made some really good friends.

between two worlds ...I so envy you, (I think that's a sin) anyway I do, I miss being with family and friends I hope you have a really nice day. Many years ago we had a vicar who would not begin Christmas till the 24th that's when he would send out cards and put his tree up, he was a firm believer in getting rid of all the commercialization of Christmas. I do remember as a child we did not put the tree up till a couple of days before Christmas. Probably because it was not watered and would drop its needles. I am working my way through my one a day mince pies till the 6th. Off course I have to have a little sherry with it.

If1...I love Pinterest I have many sites bookmarked for ideas , if I could only work the magic some of those people work on their gardens. But I have plenty of ideas. I could spend hours looking through the site.

Dunroving I love heather and lavender I am planning to plant both in the the spring plus some pampas grass, I had some in my previous garden and it did really well and in the winter took on a whole new look. I am more Into perennials I like to watch them return each Spring.

I ordered tree seedlings last year to try and make an English hedgerow at the bottom of the garden for the wildlife I had bought a book from the UK intending to use it when I got home but I have managed to get similar plants and see if it works here.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
To all my friends a belated Happy Christmas, and a Very Happy and Healthy New Year. After my cold I was busy catching up on Christmas.

Islandwoman 120....I really enjoyed all your pictures especially after the storm that caused such havoc along the coast. But you have much more important things to do now. It must be really exciting getting your garden sorted. Sad to say the growing season here on the East Coast of the US is so short we really have to make the most of it. I did plant nearly 100 bluebells in the little wooded area along the side of my house and also some daffs. I am looking forward to seeing them in the Spring. I would love to see some pictures of your garden once its finished. You have my email address so you can always send them to me. Always looking for inspiration.....

Jasper123..Must admit I have like and dislikes regarding so called Stars.....for a while many moons ago I was in love with Sasha Distel, went down to the London Palladium to see him. Probably no one even remembers him now. Must have been around 1964.
Hope your Mum is doing well and the both of you didnt over eat at Christmas.
trotty I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas, and I wish you and all my friends on BE a fantastic New Year,
Mum & I had a good Christmas, tomorrow will be our last feast, we have family coming over for dinner, basically another (late) boxing day dinner, cold turkey and gammon ham & hot mash potatoes & all the trimmings, polished off with a lovely very rich strawberry gateau and thick fresh cream poured over, well anyway ---- after all that starting on Monday I intend to do more walking and try and cut out most deserts, Ill try and get the body back that I had when I was in my 20,s ha ha ha what a joke that is but I will loose the stone that I need to loose though!!!!
Any thoughts from anyone on e-cigs? the reason Im asking is I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago, and Im now (only vaping) I feel much better already, my cough has gone completely, my taste buds are starting to come back again, no more stinky smoke smell on my clothes, I love it!!! I still get my nicotine fix whenever I need it, without all the chemicals and tar etc that kills you,
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasoer123....sounds like you are having a great time, all those year ago when we were making the plans to go home all seemed so difficult and complicated and now look at you settled in and just one of the many.......
Congratulations on giving up smoking the best thing you could have done for yourself. In the supermarket you can always tell when someone smokes when they walk past you its just clings to the clothes.
I have the same problem as you I have put on a great deal of weight but till I finish my M & S chocolates and my mince pies and a few other things I will not start my diet as it will just fail. But give me a month....
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the gardening thread and my first posting: http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover.../#post11519529
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Here's the gardening thread and my first posting: http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover.../#post11519529
Aye, did you get married?
How does the cottage look?

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jan 2nd 2015 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the Flickr group set up for you to post up to 20 photos daily: https://www.flickr.com/groups/begardensacrosstheworld/

If the Mods want it open to all of BE, please let me know and that can be arranged. But moderation of that may be a problem? At the moment it is open for anyone to post to, as long as the rules of Flickr and the rules I agreed to for the group are adhered to. If it gets top heavy, I will moderate it in a different manner. Let's give it a go!!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Ah, did you get married?
How does the cottage look?

Cheers
Why do you think I got married? And - don't you think this is the type of question that warrants a PM, not a public ask?

Last edited by islandwoman120; Jan 2nd 2015 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, Thanks for the update (food and quiting smoking)
I don't post as much because I'm usually using a lap top or iPad and I haven't discovered how to post from either of them.

The news is that its not too safe to be flying these days. I just read about the plane from Guesey that made an emergency landing in Southend because of a possible fire in one of the engines.

Well I'm a little under the weather. I got a flue shot because they are all the rage and sure enough I got the flu. One of the worst sickness I've had in all the resent years.
Tomorrow is my birthday and I will be 77 and I was wondering if you get a prize for dying on your birthday. (its being so cheerful that keeps me going)

So I'm still not over my sickness.

I hope you all have a happy new year.

Cheers
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Why do you think I got married? And - don't you think this is the type of question that warrants a PM, not a public ask?
cause you sound so happy

Probably I said that because you have hung up your camera for a while. (hows that for originality?)

How is the cottage working out? Do you walk to the shops or take a taxi?

Cheers ducks
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was nice to see a few postings from Sally over the holidays.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
cause you sound so happy

Probably I said that because you have hung up your camera for a while. (hows that for originality?)

How is the cottage working out? Do you walk to the shops or take a taxi?

Cheers ducks
Sooooo... you think only getting married would make me happy! Lordy, lordy. I get happy just taking a walk, digging earth, reading a book, playing with the cat, sharing a cuppa with a friend. I hung up my camera because I want to concentrate on photographing mainly plants - please read my former posting in reply to Trotty, oh man- in-the-desert, where you have interesting, if insignificant, flowers to look at. I also am a year behind in painting, and reading interesting books I have on my bookshelf. No marriage plans, not now, not never. Sorry
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nooooo cheers has got it wrong once you reach a certain age you don't need bossy men....nowadays it's no longer a stigma to be single no more of that spinster stuff, or being on the shelf.....my daughter is quite happy being single......course she does have two cats and a dog....
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nooooo cheers has got it wrong once you reach a certain age you don't need bossy men....nowadays it's no longer a stigma to be single no more of that spinster stuff, or being on the shelf.....my daughter is quite happy being single......course she does have two cats and a dog....
Funny! I have been twice married, 3 sons, 4 grand kids. I think I am called a 'happy divorcee', not a spinster! No problem with those who are or wish to be married, just not for me. I am too much of my own person, know what I want or like, and am happy enough with my own company or the company of friends - male and female. See what you started, Cheers!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

- nor bossy women.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
- nor bossy women.
Too right! I know quite a few of those, and would run a mile if I were male.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.