Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 20th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by aries
I don't like the sound of black pudding, and in fact rarely have a cooked breakfast except if I stay in a British hotel. I even get put off by the cold meats, cheese selections and hard boiled eggs for breakfast when I'm in Germany, I stick to cereals and fruit. With my flat in Ladenburg I didn't have the patience to do much for breakfast, but I couldn't find decent bacon anyway.

I'm back home from hospital and am waiting for a cleaner to come. It amazes me that she is so energetic and efficient, and also has a second job which she described as "in entertainment at a hotel."
I forgot to mention to include kippers with the breakfast although as you mention in your case I think most people have 'dry' cereal.
Old May 20th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I forgot to mention to include kippers with the breakfast although as you mention in your case I think most people have 'dry' cereal.
I quite like kippers with poached eggs, but not for breakfast.

Cereals with milk and real Devonshire clotted cream makes a delicious breakfast, but beware of too much of a good thing.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Aries...Hope your feeling better did you know they now do a white blood pudding...I like it.

Yellow finny haddock I think thats what my mum called it. She use to boil it in either milk or water and then we had it with butter on it. I really enjoyed it with potato and peas......

Celticspirit...Glad you enjoyed the wedding have you decided what you are doing yet. Sounds like you are feeling a little better.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

What does it cost for an order of chips? You know with the economy the way it is we have to forego the fish.

Cheers
Old May 21st 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Aries...Hope your feeling better did you know they now do a white blood pudding...I like it.

Yellow finny haddock I think thats what my mum called it. She use to boil it in either milk or water and then we had it with butter on it. I really enjoyed it with potato and peas......

Celticspirit...Glad you enjoyed the wedding have you decided what you are doing yet. Sounds like you are feeling a little better.
Trotty....yes, I have never deviated from going "home" as you know. The longer one waits, the more complicated life becomes. The wedding was amazing....sadly I don't know how to post videos nor pics.
It's now or never...thanks for remembering me xx
Old May 21st 2013, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

What does it cost for an order of chips? You know with the economy the way it is we have to forego the fish.

Cheers
£1.40 for a medium size (small £1.20, large £1.60) take out tray of chips in Peterborough last Saturday. Fish was £3.00 for cod.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
£1.40 for a medium size (small £1.20, large £1.60) take out tray of chips in Peterborough last Saturday. Fish was £3.00 for cod.
I pay £1.50 for a medium tray of chips, lovely to eat them while strolling around the harbour and part way along the seafront. My brother would never do this, last year at Eastbourne he refused to walk with me while I ate a small tub of icecream, I had to sit at a table.

The 60 metre wheel is back alongside the harbour, much smaller than the London Eye, but still an attraction for tourists.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-19322528
Old May 21st 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Is the £3 for the cod and the chips or just the fish?
Old May 21st 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the £3 for the cod and the chips or just the fish?
I'm sure the Cod is 3 quid, the chips are extra...
Old May 22nd 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I'm sure the Cod is 3 quid, the chips are extra...
Exactly as Fish says, £3 for the piece of battered cod, £1.50 for chips, this from a simple residential street take-away chippy.
For a sit-down chippy expect £5 plus.
In a decent pub-resturant expect £8-£10 as main meal.
Most expensive yet, £16, yep £16, and this a lunch-time meal, not even full size dinner, for battered cod, chips , crushed minted peas (i.e. frozen peas, not mushy) and tartar. This in deepest Norfolk where the posh folk like to indulge themselves when they come up from London.

They describe themselves as
With its dedicated team of chefs, the kitchen delivers a constantly evolving menu of imaginative modern British food.
Using only the best local and seasonal produce, sourced from a plethora of Norfolk suppliers, many of whom are located within a 30 mile radius of the kitchen, the food represents the best of Norfolk.
The **** also offers a list of popular wines and a fine wine list featuring vintages from some of the world’s great estates.

We visited for a pint, saw the food prices, noted that a Ploughman's with Pork Pie is an outrageous £12 and then went across the road to the butchers where we bought two pork pies for £2.50 and enjoyed them on a bench on the green while waiting for the bus.

Typically in decent pubs ( I can't think why we always end up in a pub ) expect £8 or £10 for fish and chips, similar for homemade (not factory frozen) burgers and chips.

here is a sample menu (expect maybe a 5%-10% increase on these 2 yr old prices) from a Norfolk market town pub that I rate quite highly. http://www.thewillowhouse.co.uk/PDF/...nu_Aug2011.pdf

Last edited by J.JsOH; May 22nd 2013 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 22nd 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Our takeaway at the local chippy runs £5.50 for a large cod and medium chips and hubby and me split one order between us. Lord only knows how I ever put away that amount of food on my own, I'm stuffed on a half portion these days so I reckon at £2.75 I'm a pretty cheap date
Old May 22nd 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Off the subject.

Some of you have cats so can you tell me if there is a way of determining a male over a female.

We feed alley (feral) cats and we would like to know the difference.

cheers
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Off the subject.

Some of you have cats so can you tell me if there is a way of determining a male over a female.

cheers

er.. which way are they facing...
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Off the subject.

cheers
Gotta lift them up and check their privates. You might be able to see the older males on the ground if they have TWO BIG ones ;-) usually the skulls are larger on males also. I am seriously not trying to be funny.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Off the subject.

cheers
The one underneath is the female.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.