Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi M8 - Same as your observations , here in Shropshire. Hope you and Mother, are both well. Don
Hello my friend, yes Me Mum is fine and sends her regards to you and Tippawan, hope your both doing good,
M8
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I agree on house prices over there but it maybe like comparing apples to oranges. I depends on the area. Overall I agree with you though.

Looking at home prices in the Scottish Borders area they look reasonable.

Here in southern Utah you can buy a really nicely finished new home in a nice neighborhood with a 3 car garage, 3 baths and 4 bedrooms for $200,000 (£126,000). So yes homes are pricey there but think how beautiful it is there in the UK.
Your observation of prices for 'things' maybe true but for everyday shopping, things can be cheaper. (I know because I was there 12 years ago)
Cheers
you can buy a small 2 bedroom flat here for that much, and no garage, and one bathroom that you can just about turn around in providing you are not too large
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannaknow
Hi newbie here just browsing
Hi there I wannaknow. Newbie here too. I grew up in Jamaica, although I was born in London. Lived for a few years in both London and S. Devon. What's your story with the island?

I have so many questions about moving back to the UK (presently in Florida). Will gather my thoughts after I've read through some more. Glad to have found you all!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:08 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

In looking at houses here we've found that if they're priced right they sell quickly, but there are also houses on the market for literally years because the owners refuse to listen to the agents and price them too high.

For us, house prices are the only thing that make the UK more expensive. Eating out is much cheaper than it was in New York, council tax is low compared to our old property taxes and heating costs and insurance are also much lower. Petrol is more expensive per litre, but our car is almost twice as fuel-efficient as the one we had over there, so we haven't noticed the difference.

I haven't updated much lately, but I just want to say how lovely the Fall has been. It goes on so long and the colours have been wonderful. Most of the trees I can see from my window are now finally bare, but that has given the countryside a new beauty. I also didn't realize how much I have missed fog! I love waking up and seeing everything through a haze.

My husband and I were talking yesterday and saying how this move has been a new lease of life for both of us. Now I'm really hoping for a little bit of snow over the next few months, safe in the knowledge that it will never be so deep it takes two of us an hour to dig out the driveway.

Today we're going to vote for the first time since we got back - county police commissioner elections. I'm very excited!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Hoping you have the same luck I did when seeling a house some years ago, the agent came out to take photos and get details, went away, 30 mins later there was a phone call from someone looking for a house just like mine and in the area, they came round that night, and had made an asking price offer by the following morning, agents came round to put up a 'For Sale' sign, then slapped a 'Sold' sticker on it immediately. Agents didn't even have to print a brochure.
Wow. I hope you went out and bought a lottery ticket.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
In looking at houses here we've found that if they're priced right they sell quickly, but there are also houses on the market for literally years because the owners refuse to listen to the agents and price them too high.

For us, house prices are the only thing that make the UK more expensive. Eating out is much cheaper than it was in New York, council tax is low compared to our old property taxes and heating costs and insurance are also much lower. Petrol is more expensive per litre, but our car is almost twice as fuel-efficient as the one we had over there, so we haven't noticed the difference.

I haven't updated much lately, but I just want to say how lovely the Fall has been. It goes on so long and the colours have been wonderful. Most of the trees I can see from my window are now finally bare, but that has given the countryside a new beauty. I also didn't realize how much I have missed fog! I love waking up and seeing everything through a haze.

My husband and I were talking yesterday and saying how this move has been a new lease of life for both of us. Now I'm really hoping for a little bit of snow over the next few months, safe in the knowledge that it will never be so deep it takes two of us an hour to dig out the driveway.

Today we're going to vote for the first time since we got back - county police commissioner elections. I'm very excited!
Do you still look at the daily Lakeland cam photos? You probably don't because you see the real thing.
Every English pic. I see these days, I see umbrellas and wet. I can't get enough of it!
When was the last time you went to admire your house?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone here keep watching The Paradise? I'd got to enjoy it, but the end was completely unsatisfactory. Too abrupt and unclear. I'd have thrown something at the telly if it would have gone through to the writer, director etc without damaging it!

I don't know how to do spoilers here.

Bev
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Anyone here keep watching The Paradise? I'd got to enjoy it, but the end was completely unsatisfactory. Too abrupt and unclear. I'd have thrown something at the telly if it would have gone through to the writer, director etc without damaging it!

I don't know how to do spoilers here.

Bev
I agree.
Spoiler:
I believe Tuesday's episode was termed the "series finale" as opposed to "season finale" which tends to indicate there ain't gonna be no more at all. As an end to the story I'd say you could assume Moray had decided to throw caution to the wind and run off with Denise since he kissed her right in the yard where anyone could see. If the program is in fact to come back in the future then I'd say it was a great cliffhanger but like you say, frustrating.
On the subject of spoilers, if you look along the menu bar in the advanced mode message box, there's a "spoiler" at the end of the list. Clicking on that inserts a set of "spoiler" tags and any text contained between the tags is hidden unless the viewer clicks on the button to display it.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I didn't know it was the finale...yes highly disappointing..I loved the show..
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Oh no, I didn't know it was the finale...yes highly disappointing..I loved the show..
A second series HAS been commissioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Par...28TV_series%29
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Now that IS good news
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

UK house prices are too high and could be set to come down a little. These folks have been quite accurate over the last year and a half:

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments...e-prices-61500
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I don't want to kill them, except for not making that clear.

All the same, it could have been halted better.

Spoiler:
I'd have liked a little bitter sweet in that kiss, as the assumption is that Moray will be ruined by his decision, and he and Denise know it.

Does anyone else think the casting of Miss Glendenning was poor. The actress is 35 but the part seems written for a young daddy's girl. She's also older than the actor playing Moray. It could have been interesting if presented as an older woman lusting after a young stud, but that wasn't how it seemed to me.

Thanks for telling me how to do spoilers!

Bev
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
UK house prices are too high and could be set to come down a little. These folks have been quite accurate over the last year and a half:

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments...e-prices-61500
I hope so, that would be great news for us, as I am thinking a year and a half to 2 years unless this trip next month light a hugh fire under my husbands arse and we get the houses sold, pack our 30 years of stuff and get the heck out of here! Not soon enough for me
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Christmas came and went so fast this year.....

I got a Christmas card from England in the post yesterday and we had our eggnog and Toblerone bar.

For Christmas I got a surprise, I got a brand new gas water heater for $1100 installed. Actually the heater was $850 including installation and then the plummer said unless I got my water pressure valve replaced all my pipes could blow. I had water pressure, coming into the house, at 150 lbs and the maximum should have only been 75 lbs, so there went another $210 to replace the valve.

I now need a big bow around the heater to remind me what Santa gave me for Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We are off to California for two weeks! I will stay in contact in case anyone posts on here.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.