Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I love my CVS extra bucks
Trouble is I ended up with a stock pile of things like deodorant and shampoos. So I stopped buying (even when just paying the tax) and use my Extra bucks for milk as we drink so much. I'm working my way through the stock piles we won't need to buy more toiletries before moving I'm sure
I have to admit I find myself going to CVS more than Walgreens lately, used to be the other way around. LOL, know what you mean about deodorants I have enough to last 10 years....since our Dear son is so picky and will only use AXE most of the deo is for me.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Sounds rather like the ''Advantage Card'' Scheme, run by Boots the Chemists - last year I got a Remington Electric razor, off my card for free.
A little better than an Advantage Card, you do not get points for purchasing you get immediate rebates for buying items you need that you then can use on other items you need while they are discounted or on sale doubling the rewards. It does not take months to get items for free or next to free. Under the Boots Scheme you have to spend 250 pounds to get 10 pounds back at CVS it depends on the deal but this week I spent $25 and got $10 back immediately that I used to buy the bottle water and dish washing soap we were out of. You can do it every week depending on your needs. I, like Mummy in the foothills, have stopped stockpiling some items, like deodorants, but items like razors when they are free or close to free I just can not pass them up. Hopefully since Boots has started this maybe they will add something like Extra Care Bucks in the future that would be awesome!

Last edited by Maltoo; Nov 7th 2012 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I recommend Tescos. They give reward points for shopping and then have promotions where you can double the points. I just bought an oil filled radiator, 60 pounds for 6 pounds! Not bad!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I recommend Tescos. They give reward points for shopping and then have promotions where you can double the points. I just bought an oil filled radiator, 60 pounds for 6 pounds! Not bad!
My Mum does the Tesco points thing. She loves it. I know when I was there she was saying something about doubling the points so we went shopping
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

The food is good too. Oh, Mummy, have you got something to look forward to!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The food is good too. Oh, Mummy, have you got something to look forward to!
I can't wait!
Send boat selling vibes my way, till that monstrosity is gone we are stuck! and can't sell the house.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I've found an unusual way of keeping track of my weight. If my watch slips up and down on my wrist I know my weight is down.
cheers my watch is always slipping up and down on my wrist ------ BUT unfortunately Im not loosing weight ------ instead Im sure Im putting on quite a few pounds cant seem to keep away from all the English goodies like McVities chocolate digestives, and apple pie & custard and my favorite triple chocolate muffins from tesco Hmmmm there to die for and Im just starting to get hooked on Aero chocolate bars, used to love em as a kid too
and bournville choc bars, Im scared to hop on the scales, there about 25 years old and I may break them anyway
Seriously though I really must start to diet and get more exercise, trouble is the selection and variety of the food here is just so good, and cheap too,
I think I will have a nice big pastie for lunch tomorrow

Congrats Sally on finding your dream home ----- with fast Internet too
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
McVities chocolate digestives, and apple pie & custard and my favorite triple chocolate muffins from tesco Hmmmm there to die for and Im just starting to get hooked on Aero chocolate bars, used to love em as a kid too
and bournville choc bars,
Seriously though I really must start to diet and get more exercise, trouble is the selection and variety of the food here is just so good, and cheap too,
I think I will have a nice big pastie for lunch tomorrow

Congrats Sally on finding your dream home ----- with fast Internet too
I went for a walk this afternoon so that should take a pound off.
Don't you walk every day?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

no that was a good buy! I will be taking advantage of all program schemes when we finally move.

Looks like we will not be coming over for our pre move trip in Dec thanks to the British Consulate! they seem to have lost my husband passport renewal paperwork! Now there are trying to cover their bureaucratic asses by telling us they need more proof he is who he is and since we sent him a copy of every photo ID he has (3) and his original old passport I can not image what other photo id they could possibly need
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Pets!

Some one is asking for fellow passengers to share the cost of a charter jet from the UK to the US. The split cost should be around $4000.

Some background.

They have a large dog so they don't want to go on a passenger scheduled flight because the dog would be put in the hold so they came up with this idea of chartering the jet.

(I read about this on UKYankees forum and since there is a lot mentioned on here about transporting pets I thought there would be some input)

Cunard is out of the question because they are all booked up until April.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Pets!

Some one is asking for fellow passengers to share the cost of a charter jet from the UK to the US. The split cost should be around $4000.

Some background.

They have a large dog so they don't want to go on a passenger scheduled flight because the dog would be put in the hold so they came up with this idea of chartering the jet.

(I read about this on UKYankees forum and since there is a lot mentioned on here about transporting pets I thought there would be some input)

Cunard is out of the question because they are all booked up until April.
Can you imagine, a few big dogs in a small plane, it's be one hell of a dog fight. Throw in a cat or two and it could be complete chaos.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:16 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I went for a walk this afternoon so that should take a pound off.
Don't you walk every day?
Was it a 70-mile walk? 70 miles = 3,500 kcals = caloric content of 1lb of body fat.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:50 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Was it a 70-mile walk? 70 miles = 3,500 kcals = caloric content of 1lb of body fat.
I was wondering that too! I go for a 40-minute walk most days and it's quite depressing to look at my iPhone pedometer app and see that I've burned 100 calories or so. Not even one chocolate digestive
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was wondering that too! I go for a 40-minute walk most days and it's quite depressing to look at my iPhone pedometer app and see that I've burned 100 calories or so. Not even one chocolate digestive
For an average size person, walking 1 mile = 50 kcal and running 1 mile = 100kcal. The extra for running is due to metabolic inefficiencies associated with the "bounce" of running.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Ya but how many glasses of ale?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving

.7 mile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.