Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

congratulations Sally can not wait to see pictures!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I haven't had much time to check in lately but just wanted to share my happiness as we had an offer accepted on a house today! It's a beautiful character property on a country lane with sheep and pheasants for neighbors (and fast broadband!!).

We don't want to rush the closing as we have a lease here until March, but the owners are very flexible so that will work out well for everyone.

I know cheers will want to know where it is but I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want to post that information online. Suffice it to say that we are very happy and just have fingers crossed that everything goes well.
Congratulations! Pleased for you Sally! Hope that it all goes well for you both.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So I was out Christmas shopping today, for the grand-kids, in Walmart and while I was there I spotted and bought McVities chocolate digestives biscuits and also Cadbury's chocolate finger biscuits. Whoa!

It wasn't too bad as far as customers in the store but I've made up my mind that I have to stay away until January. I don't like bedlam! It is going to be worse this year because people have been told that the economy is getting better. Then in January there is depression when they get their bill for the heating and their credit cards.

The price for the biscuits was reasonable considering. So remember the next time your in Walmart check out the biscuits imported from the UK and tell me what you think.

No UK Terry's chocolate oranges, from Poland, yet.
Thanks for the McVities tip, we will look for sure...
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I haven't had much time to check in lately but just wanted to share my happiness as we had an offer accepted on a house today! It's a beautiful character property on a country lane with sheep and pheasants for neighbors (and fast broadband!!).

We don't want to rush the closing as we have a lease here until March, but the owners are very flexible so that will work out well for everyone.

I know cheers will want to know where it is but I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want to post that information online. Suffice it to say that we are very happy and just have fingers crossed that everything goes well.
Good for you Sally, so you want no stalkers hahahaaa we can dig it.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Welcome to the new posters or browsers...

Now might be a good time to tell us your situation, Hopes and Dreams, of course its really up to you.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:51 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found an unusual way of keeping track of my weight. If my watch slips up and down on my wrist I know my weight is down.
Cheers, I wish it were true as my watch is slipping off my wrist, however, my clothes are telling me a different story
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:18 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I've found an unusual way of keeping track of my weight. If my watch slips up and down on my wrist I know my weight is down.
I wish this was an issue for me but, like LF, it's the opposite!

I tell myself that M&S jeans must shrink in the wash ... right??
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Wait until you get back here, you'll be spoiled for choice, in the biscuit department. As my bathroom scales have not yet arrived I can't go on a diet, so I am enjoying all the things that I should be staying away from.
I love your logic! On that note, I've decided that as our bathroom scales are somewhere in this endless stream of unpacked boxes in the garage I can also enjoy what I want for the time being. Thanks for the good wishes btw.

On the home front, things are slowly getting sorted. It's cool but dry here today so I will try and venture out for a bit fresh air. Apparently there are often deer sightings on the walking track out here so for all we are situated in the town, we can still enjoy a bit wildlife too.

It turns out we have Geordie neighbours on either side of us (methinks I'll be baking a lot more stotty cake in future) and OH tells me there's a big friendly Old English Sheep Dog called Daisy who I'm anxious to meet. I heard her barking the morning we moved in and it was really lovely to have dogs close by again. In the flat down south none of our neighbours had any pets. I certainly do miss our family Samoyeds back in Canada.

One more box arrived to join the pile this morning - this is actually a wedding present. When we got married, a number of family and friends sent us cash gifts so we just set the money to one side and kept our eyes open for things we really liked for our home. After OH lost his job last year and it looked like a move would be on the cards, we suspended shopping as we would only be adding to the things needing to be packed and moved. We've had our eye out for a nice swing style floor lamp and lo and behold we found exactly what we wanted online at BHS last week. So, our friends Jim and Pam back in Canada "got us the lamp for our wedding gift". I emailed them a photo of the lamp to show them what we'd chosen and to say thanks again - just opened the box, its really lovely & can't wait to see it put together...note to hubby - I have a job for you tonight!

Cheers - Glad you were able to find your little bit of chocolate heaven from home! My Dad loves Jelly Babies (remember those?) A cousin of mine was recently here for a visit and took a couple of bags back to Canada for him only to discover that certain Dollar Stores in Canada have started selling them. Needless to say, Dad's now on the hunt! My sister's resorted to making her own Battenburg cake because you can't get that over there either since M & S closed up.

Iwannaknow - Welcome, hope you'll visit often and tell us a bit about yourself

Sally - Congratulations on the house, like the others said we're anxious to hear more!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Curly, we get Battenburg, Dundee cake and others in our English shop, so tell your sister to not give up, its not M&S but its Top Notch quality..,
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping..

We can get Yardleys and Pears soaps in the local Dollar store but why pay a dollar when you can get them on sale in Walgreens for 74 cents.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Shopping..

We can get Yardleys and Pears soaps in the local Dollar store but why pay a dollar when you can get them on sale in Walgreens for 74 cents.
or free if you play your Register Rewards right
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
or free if you play your Register Rewards right
Register Rewards??!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Register Rewards??!
Register Rewards is the program at Walgreens that gives you money back on specific purchases each week, if you combine them with coupons and roll them over you get items for free or close to free.

We have a stock pile of around 100 Gillette pro glide razors that were either free or almost free. My OH never has to buy another razor, does not mean I pass them up when free or close to free

CVS does a similar program they call theirs Extra Bucks. This week I spent $4.50 and got 4 14 oz ajax detergents, 2 cases of Nestle water, 1 schick hydro 5 razor with one refill, 4 edge shaving creams and 1 skinimate shaving cream, $35 worth of items all for $4.50 rolled over $10 ECB from last week for Charmin toilet paper used it to buy the shaving cream and the razor, also used a $5 ECB from an email promo and another $10 ECB from another deal and a $1 ECB from the Red Machine inside the store so paid $3.50 and got another $10 ECB back and used that on the 2 waters and the 4 dish soaps and paid $1.35

if you add that all up the numbers won't make sense because you have to pay the tax even though I should have gotten the razor and shaving creams for free the tax has to be paid.

Last edited by Maltoo; Nov 7th 2012 at 3:06 am.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I love my CVS extra bucks
Trouble is I ended up with a stock pile of things like deodorant and shampoos. So I stopped buying (even when just paying the tax) and use my Extra bucks for milk as we drink so much. I'm working my way through the stock piles we won't need to buy more toiletries before moving I'm sure

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Nov 7th 2012 at 5:26 am.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I love my CVS extra bucks
Trouble is I ended up with a stock pile of things like deodorant and shampoos. So I stopped buying (even when just paying the tax) and use my Extra bucks for milk as we drink so much. I'm working my way through the stock piles we won't need to buy more toiletries before moving I'm sure
Sounds rather like the ''Advantage Card'' Scheme, run by Boots the Chemists - last year I got a Remington Electric razor, off my card for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.