British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:50 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9058514)
Hello everyone from totally tropical Singapore!

Going completely off topic, but just wanted to share this with you:

Last night we went out for dinner with two other expat couples (my spouse is in a really small office with just two colleagues, so we had a Christmas get-together with the husbands and wives).

We went to a lovely old 'Black and White' colonial house on a hill at Fort Canning, which many many years ago was the Fire Chief's residence. It's beautifully decorated for Christmas.

http://www.flutes.com.sg (I'd love to live in a "Black and White" - they are very sought after amongst the expat community, but I do worry about the snakes which often appear as the houses are all surrounded by lush vegetation....

Well, after a little while a handsome young Chinese man sitting at a nearby table got up and returned with a guitar and sang this song to his girlfriend:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

There was a bottle of plonk in a wine cooler next to the young lady......I said to our friends 'Hey, it looks like he's going to propose!" At the end of the song, he got down on one knee and pulled out a box containing an engagement ring....and then announced to all of us onlookers..."She said yes!" so we all cheered... :) and my husband took a photo of their special moment to forward to them. It's the second time I've seen young Singaporeans serenading their girlfriends with guitars and then proposing to them. So romantic! :)

(However, one of our friends noticed that at two seperate tables behind where I was sitting, two Chinese women burst into tears and stormed off within minutes of each other. I do wonder if they were mistresses getting the news that their lovers weren't going to spend the Christmas holidays with them.....!)

Thank you for sharing your very festive evening, what a lovely experience!
Happy Christmas and a joyous New Year!!

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:54 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9058650)
I'm posting these pictures of Keswick. They're really nice festive pictures.

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Enjoy,

Cheers

Stunning photos - thank you Cheers. Happy Christmas to you and yours!
Tanto

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9058524)
Yes, I like it too..:)

Hey Jackie,
Hope you stayed dry and safe in this recent deluge - Las Vegas looked a mess!
Happy Christmas to you!!
Tanto

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 8:32 am

Hi everyone. just want to wish you all a very Happy Christmas, and a happy and peacefull new year from a very very cold icy and white covered Cork, ironic we were in Canada for Xmas last year and NO Snow:confused: Having grandkids round this afternoon, for tidbits, with fire and candles lit and watching home alone 1&2 really looking forward to it Hope Santa is good to you all and you get all that you wish for Denise 2:thumbsup::wub:

dontheturner Dec 24th 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9059005)
Hi everyone. just want to wish you all a very Happy Christmas, and a happy and peacefull new year from a very very cold icy and white covered Cork, ironic we were in Canada for Xmas last year and NO Snow:confused: Having grandkids round this afternoon, for tidbits, with fire and candles lit and watching home alone 1&2 really looking forward to it Hope Santa is good to you all and you get all that you wish for Denise 2:thumbsup::wub:

I think everyone else, has gone to bed early, to wait for Santa.

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9059012)
I think everyone else, has gone to bed early, to wait for Santa.

of course you are probably way ahead in time from us here, it is only 10.15am.:rofl: Don maybe you could help do you have a good receipe for Chestnut stuffing? we never have had it before, I have always followed my mums sage and onion receipe which I love, but my oh would like to try it any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Denise2

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 9:20 am

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9058514)
Hello everyone from totally tropical Singapore!

Going completely off topic, but just wanted to share this with you:

Last night we went out for dinner with two other expat couples (my spouse is in a really small office with just two colleagues, so we had a Christmas get-together with the husbands and wives).

We went to a lovely old 'Black and White' colonial house on a hill at Fort Canning, which many many years ago was the Fire Chief's residence. It's beautifully decorated for Christmas.

http://www.flutes.com.sg (I'd love to live in a "Black and White" - they are very sought after amongst the expat community, but I do worry about the snakes which often appear as the houses are all surrounded by lush vegetation....

Well, after a little while a handsome young Chinese man sitting at a nearby table got up and returned with a guitar and sang this song to his girlfriend:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

There was a bottle of plonk in a wine cooler next to the young lady......I said to our friends 'Hey, it looks like he's going to propose!" At the end of the song, he got down on one knee and pulled out a box containing an engagement ring....and then announced to all of us onlookers..."She said yes!" so we all cheered... :) and my husband took a photo of their special moment to forward to them. It's the second time I've seen young Singaporeans serenading their girlfriends with guitars and then proposing to them. So romantic! :)

(However, one of our friends noticed that at two seperate tables behind where I was sitting, two Chinese women burst into tears and stormed off within minutes of each other. I do wonder if they were mistresses getting the news that their lovers weren't going to spend the Christmas holidays with them.....!)

:thumbsup::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dontheturner Dec 24th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9059069)
of course you are probably way ahead in time from us here, it is only 10.15am.:rofl: Don maybe you could help do you have a good receipe for Chestnut stuffing? we never have had it before, I have always followed my mums sage and onion receipe which I love, but my oh would like to try it any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Denise2

Denise 2, I have only done this once, with doble the qty- but 2nd Wife, did it every year,You need:-Cup Chestnuts, 1/2 Cup Margarine, 1/4 Decent sized Onion,Small Yesterdays loaf(Leftout to dry)one egg, 1/4 Cup milk,(Salt and pepper when mixed, to your taste)., (me,I Boil The onion first) then chop up small. Score the Chesnuts, and set to boil for a little over 1/2 hr, till tender, Peel,then chop up small....Melt Margarine in the saucepan.add all dry ingredients, Beat the egg, and stir well into the milk, and add this then to the mixture, Dont forget salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven, (Here, bottle gas so 180), for 3/4 hour. Mothers book, says 350, gas mark 7. Superb. - Always taste before you cook, otherwise, maybe too much salt - which Thais Hate! Yes we are 7 hrs ahead of UK. Love, and Merry Christmas, Let me know, how you find it. What about Cake recipe, ? I have very very easy one. Don.

DDL Dec 24th 2010 11:04 am

We had Christmas dinner last night since none of us will be here on Christmas Day. Golden Norfolk roast turkey, gammon, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, parsnips, fresh runner beans, Yorkshire Pudding, sage and onion dressing, cranberry sauce, and gravy - all washed down with a bottle of Asti Spumante. Mum really outdid herself for us. It was delicious!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3585896_n.jpg

Taffy Duck Dec 24th 2010 12:38 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE HO! HO! HO!

:beer::drinkwine::beer::drinkwine::beer:

Cheers...Taffy

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9059114)
Denise 2, I have only done this once, with doble the qty- but 2nd Wife, did it every year,You need:-Cup Chestnuts, 1/2 Cup Margarine, 1/4 Decent sized Onion,Small Yesterdays loaf(Leftout to dry)one egg, 1/4 Cup milk,(Salt and pepper when mixed, to your taste)., (me,I Boil The onion first) then chop up small. Score the Chesnuts, and set to boil for a little over 1/2 hr, till tender, Peel,then chop up small....Melt Margarine in the saucepan.add all dry ingredients, Beat the egg, and stir well into the milk, and add this then to the mixture, Dont forget salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven, (Here, bottle gas so 180), for 3/4 hour. Mothers book, says 350, gas mark 7. Superb. - Always taste before you cook, otherwise, maybe too much salt - which Thais Hate! Yes we are 7 hrs ahead of UK. Love, and Merry Christmas, Let me know, how you find it. What about Cake recipe, ? I have very very easy one. Don.

Thank you Don, we will try that and will let you know how we get on as well, Yes I would love your cake receipe, and if anyone has a good xmas pudding one, I would love that as well, too late for this year but I really want to try to make my own next year. My mum always did her own as most of her generation did, along with xmas cake and mince pies, I loved the smell in the house, so I want to try next year (god willing) to recreate an old fashioned xmas, along with the old stocking with apple, orange and a bag of chocolate money just to see their reaction:rofl: The same to you Don, your a really helpfull person, I hope all goes well with your move for you both, and a very happy Christmas and new year love Denise:wub::)

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9059141)
We had Christmas dinner last night since none of us will be here on Christmas Day. Golden Norfolk roast turkey, gammon, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, parsnips, fresh runner beans, Yorkshire Pudding, sage and onion dressing, cranberry sauce, and gravy - all washed down with a bottle of Asti Spumante. Mum really outdid herself for us. It was delicious!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3585896_n.jpg

looks great, I am really looking forward to mine tomorrow, but this evening my grandkids are coming round and we will have little tidbits, and spoil them for one night only while we watch a movie together, before they go home to their baths and bed:fingerscrossed: before santa comes, I think mum is really enjoying you home this year, and I wish you every success in the Future, wish I could do the fancy happy xmas's but am not great on the computer, but wishing you a happy xmas and new year Denise:wub:

Wawa Dec 24th 2010 1:18 pm

To Everyone.....Have a merry, merry Xmas (there's a song in there somewhere) and a safe and happy 2011, where our dreams and hopes turn to reality and new friendships made here grow yet stronger. Thinking of you all, especially those alone :wub: :drinkwine:

windsong Dec 24th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9054671)
I like that or even the "Welcome Home" which were part of the lyrics in the T-Mobile ad they made at Heathrow.

Welcome Home is a very nice name. Much more positive.

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 2:56 pm

That Yorkshire pudding looks amazing!