Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 17th 2016, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Oh Perth it is so heartbreaking and my heart goes out to you. Glad she has settled with such a nice lady and she has a purpose which you gave her. You will be able to move much easier in the knowledge you do not have to search a home to take pets which can tie you down. When I moved in 1998 the first time I rehomed one of my dogs and gave the other to my folks to look after and I cried for days. The one I rehomed did very well with a gentleman who was retired and had just lost his dog. Sending you lots of hugs. You will find as you get closer to your goal you will have moments of major stress and self doubt but the excitement of coming home will get you through plus your friends on here.
We are very happy back home despite the odd moments of realising what we left behind was special too in its own way and we look back now with fond memories of another life on another continent. Being here in Britain even with its problems is where my soul belongs and after a little trip to the coast for a holiday, I have come to realise that I love our town and our house even though it is half the size of our Canadian one and was happy to be home.
Thank you fb. It was a difficult post to write as it seems most people decide to take their pets with them, and some can be so judgmental. It's comforting to know someone on here who made a similar decision and understands what I had to go through to make it.

I am throwing myself headlong into the sorting stage, and have already donated or thrown out multitudes of bags of stuff. We are at bare bones furniture, nothing on the walls as we are painting, and the lawn outside looks like a fire came through as we are having to re-sod and the process is quite ugly AND expensive. Always wished we could have lived in a development that would have allowed us to use the front lawn to grow veggies. What a nice gift that would have been to pass on to the new owners!

Thanks again
Old May 17th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs to you.. glad your dog has found a loving home and I wish you all the best with your move.. xx
Old May 18th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
Hugs to you.. glad your dog has found a loving home and I wish you all the best with your move.. xx
Thank you xx
Old May 18th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Thank you xx
Perth, I am so pleased you have found a good home for your dog, I don't think I would have had the strength to do this.

In the mid 1960's when my parents emigrated to Oz they left their big poodle and a cocker spaniel with a family friend, and when she in turn joined us in Adelaide, other friends took the two dogs.

However when my eldest sister and her family joined us in the same year, her beloved mongrel also travelled to Adelaide. Unfortunately at that time animals were kept in quarantine on an island in Adelaide's Port River for 6 months, so it was a long time before my sister's pet could be taken home. At least there were frequent visits, and the dog lived a long and loving life.
Old May 18th 2016, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Perth, I am so pleased you have found a good home for your dog, I don't think I would have had the strength to do this.

In the mid 1960's when my parents emigrated to Oz they left their big poodle and a cocker spaniel with a family friend, and when she in turn joined us in Adelaide, other friends took the two dogs.

However when my eldest sister and her family joined us in the same year, her beloved mongrel also travelled to Adelaide. Unfortunately at that time animals were kept in quarantine on an island in Adelaide's Port River for 6 months, so it was a long time before my sister's pet could be taken home. At least there were frequent visits, and the dog lived a long and loving life.
Thank you It took me the better part of 6 months to make the decision. But once I set my mind to doing what was going to be best for her, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Taking her to training classes to be a therapy dog was just something I thought would be a fun way to spend time together. But when a friend said her daughter was looking for a therapy pet for her occupational therapy office, it felt like all the stars had aligned.
Old May 20th 2016, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

aries
I also emigrated to Ozz in 1965, I was 19, Melbourne Tramways sponsored me, I was a £10 Pom, I loved my time in Ozz even though I only lived there 4 years, one thing I remember is at first it took me a long time to make friends, I think Ozz was a lot different in those days, it was a long time ago,
It was hard not being able to keep in frequent ccommunication with my family so far away, just letters which took around 10 days to get to England ---- oh how did we all survive without computers and skype? (: ---- phone calls were £1 per minute so that was out of the question as my wage was only £21 per week in Ozz Pounds, (before decimal)
I remember when Prime Minister Holt got eaten by a shark!!!
do they still call the sizes of beer glasses in pubs midi and scooner? ---- I ended up in Sydney working for the NSW railways, they say that these days Sydney is the most expensive city in the world to live in, is this true?
Old May 20th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Was that ever proved?...I recall there was N' amount of speculation on his 'missing in action'. The one that springs to mind is he was picked-up by a Chinese submarine as he was a spy that was about to be 'outed'...Another is he was murdered by the CIA...

I remember this well because I was crew on the RAF VC10 aircraft that brought Prince Charles, PM Harold Wilson and Edward Heath to Harold Holt's memorial.
I believe we were the first A/C to land at the new Tullamarine Airport which didn't look quite finished.
President Johnson landed soon after and they parked his B707 next to us...out came so many armed guards I thought they were going to attack Australia.
Old May 20th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
aries
I also emigrated to Ozz in 1965, I was 19, Melbourne Tramways sponsored me, I was a £10 Pom, I loved my time in Ozz even though I only lived there 4 years, one thing I remember is at first it took me a long time to make friends, I think Ozz was a lot different in those days, it was a long time ago,
It was hard not being able to keep in frequent ccommunication with my family so far away, just letters which took around 10 days to get to England ---- oh how did we all survive without computers and skype? (: ---- phone calls were £1 per minute so that was out of the question as my wage was only £21 per week in Ozz Pounds, (before decimal)
do they still call the sizes of beer glasses in pubs midi and scooner? ---- I ended up in Sydney working for the NSW railways, they say that these days Sydney is the most expensive city in the world to live in, is this true?
I arrived by ship at Adelaide's Outer Harbour in 1960 with only big metal huts for us to be processed in, the area then looked very desolate. Within 3 weeks I was working, playing competition tennis and table tennis in different clubs, so this very quickly enabled me to meet a lot of people.

As you say communication was much more difficult than it is now, and to phone my parents who were still in England, I had to book a call at the GPO for a certain time, be allocated a booth, and then wait to be put through.

We've never known what happened to Harold Holt, though I did find it strange that his security officers supposedly had no idea what happened to him.

My first pay in 1960 with ICI was just under £20 per week, but it was a massive increase from the £4.50 I received in England with a firm of chartered accountants. A much bigger accounting firm in London had wanted me to PAY THEM for the first year, there would be no pay for the second year, and for the third year I would receive 10 shillings (50p now!) per week during the third year. Thus almost £20 in Oz was like winning the lottery!! Nevertheless after 13 months I was encouraged to work for Encyclopaedia Britannica, and was earning up to £200 per week, a huge sum in those days.

Now back in my home town in England, it is as if I've time travelled back to the Middle Ages!!
Old May 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Watch this video and the interaction between the horse and the baby.

Horse Rocks Baby To Keep Him From Crying Again

Cheers
Old May 21st 2016, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

The beer does still come in Midi or Schooner size glasses here in Oz. I remember when we used to order a jug of beer if there were a few of us drinking. It is now expensive & most of us buy alcohol in the bottle shop & take home with us.
We arrived in Adelaide in 1973. Most of us arrived by plane & the £10 Pom was coming to an end. My husband had many jobs during the first year but eventually worked for MTT as a bus driver. We stayed 4yrs, then retuned to the UK.
However, we came back to Oz a second time & eventually settled in Perth, WA.
We visit Adelaide twice a year to see our daughter as she decided to stay there.
Old May 21st 2016, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black swan
The beer does still come in Midi or Schooner size glasses here in Oz. I remember when we used to order a jug of beer if there were a few of us drinking. It is now expensive & most of us buy alcohol in the bottle shop & take home with us.
We arrived in Adelaide in 1973. Most of us arrived by plane & the £10 Pom was coming to an end. My husband had many jobs during the first year but eventually worked for MTT as a bus driver. We stayed 4yrs, then retuned to the UK.
However, we came back to Oz a second time & eventually settled in Perth, WA.
We visit Adelaide twice a year to see our daughter as she decided to stay there.
Oh goodness, I remember the jugs of beer, though I drank very little. I also remember that the front bars in pubs looked like public toilets, very unfriendly looking places.

As for you arriving in Adelaide in 1973, that was when I moved to Melbourne for about 6 years. However I made frequent trips back to Adelaide to see my parents, the worst being to arrange my dad's funeral. I flew Ansett if you remember that airline, and in the flight back to Tullamarine at night, the aircrew arranged for my car to be brought to the airport's main entrance for me before the vehicle storage facility was closed.

But a more amusing/worrying story in 1965 flying from Adelaide to Woomera, I recognised the pilot from meeting him 3 years before, and a stewardess came to me and said that if the captain catches me before I get off, he will slit my throat!" However I didn't see him again.
Old May 22nd 2016, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Aries, I wonder what you did to upset the pilot so much! I don't think that you would get such personnel service with your car delivered to the main entrance these days.
Flights between each State are a lot cheaper now than they were in those days.
I arrived back from Adelaide last week. At last they are building a lot of freeways because the population has risen so much & the amount of cars on the road is causing delays.
A jug of beer used to cost $5. I was shocked to see that it now costs $35. It's no wonder that people drink at home these days. The hotels have improved a lot with all of them having a gaming room where people play the 'pokies'. I believe it's causing social problems.
Old May 27th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived by ship at Adelaide's Outer Harbour in 1960 with only big metal huts for us to be processed in, the area then looked very desolate. Within 3 weeks I was working, playing competition tennis and table tennis in different clubs, so this very quickly enabled me to meet a lot of people.

As you say communication was much more difficult than it is now, and to phone my parents who were still in England, I had to book a call at the GPO for a certain time, be allocated a booth, and then wait to be put through.

We've never known what happened to Harold Holt, though I did find it strange that his security officers supposedly had no idea what happened to him.

My first pay in 1960 with ICI was just under £20 per week, but it was a massive increase from the £4.50 I received in England with a firm of chartered accountants. A much bigger accounting firm in London had wanted me to PAY THEM for the first year, there would be no pay for the second year, and for the third year I would receive 10 shillings (50p now!) per week during the third year. Thus almost £20 in Oz was like winning the lottery!! Nevertheless after 13 months I was encouraged to work for Encyclopaedia Britannica, and was earning up to £200 per week, a huge sum in those days.

Now back in my home town in England, it is as if I've time travelled back to the Middle Ages!!
Hi aries,
Well I was earning £7 a week in England at the Portsmouth Dockyard before I arrived in Melbourne in 1965 and making £21 per week as a tram conductor, yes they still had conductors in those days!! and I also thought that felt like a fortune in those days, my digs cost £5 per week and that was in a rooming house including full board and all utilities ---- not bad huh!!!
Old May 30th 2016, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
I've just seen an episode of Escape to the Country, Shropshire and I loved it.

Who wrote "No one knows England within unless they know England without"?

Back to Escapes.......episodes.

Cheers
I watch every episode of E.T.T.Country it helps me escape to another world 😀😀☘☘
Old May 30th 2016, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by black swan
Aries, I wonder what you did to upset the pilot so much! I don't think that you gwould get such personnel service with your car delivered to the main entrance these days.
Flights between each State are a lot cheaper now than they were in those days.
I arrived back from Adelaide last week. At last they are building a lot of freeways because the population has risen so much & the amount of cars on the road is causing delays.
A jug of beer used to cost $5. I was shocked to see that it now costs $35. It's no wonder that people drink at home these days. The hotels have improved a lot with all of them having a gaming room where people play the 'pokies'. I believe it's causing social problems.
I totally agree with you having meals and a few drinks cost a fortune and they wonder why people are not eating out,they can no longer afford it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.