Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I am floating on air. My iPad 3 fell on the hardwood floor and lost sound. 64 gigs + 4G....purchased in March. They told me $300 to replace.....less than half the cost of a new one. So today I had an appt at the genius bar. He replaced my iPad 3 with a brand new one......no charge. Gotta LOVE Apple )
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am floating on air. My iPad 3 fell on the hardwood floor and lost sound. 64 gigs + 4G....purchased in March. They told me $300 to replace.....less than half the cost of a new one. So today I had an appt at the genius bar. He replaced my iPad 3 with a brand new one......no charge. Gotta LOVE Apple )
Lucky you. I've had nothing but problems with my iPad 2, and when Apple Support helped me on the phone for 6 hours taking over my iMac by remote to try and resolve the problems (after an appointment at their genius bar with the iPad 2 for help achieved nothing), my iPhoto was totally messed up, and yesterday I paid a local computer tech £75 to put it right.

Apple had told me I would be given a new iPad because of the difficulties, but instead they chose to wipe the unit and reinstall. So I still have an iPad 2 which is flawed, but at least the local tech saved my blood pressure from escalating again.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Just got back from the Kings Theater here in Portsmouth and me , mum, and our friends saw the musical stage production of beauty and the beast, it was put on by the Portsmouth players and the show was absolutely wonderful all the way through, they have different productions like that from the same people 3 times a year, but all through the year they have productions from national groups at the Kings,
Now I am just getting the hang of living here, and liking it I really didn't live much of my adult life in England, 40 years was spent overseas, so I never went to a theater before, well I do remember going to the same theater when I was around 12 to see a pantomine, they still have a big Christmas pantomine every year, I was just so impressed with what I saw tonite that I just had to post you all and let you know how much I enjoyed it, we all did, I hope you dont mind, the Kings Theater was opened in 1907,
COULTURE thats what I missed all those years in Nevada maybe I should have lived in New York, but then I probably wouldn't have been able to see a show on broadway cause it would be too expensive, this show I saw tonight was fantastic and the price of our tickets were £12.50 each and we were quite close to the stage
Rodney.
Marvellous Rodney . . . I'm hoping to see a panto and perhaps an ice show, but not sure yet, where or when. My first London show was at the Adelphi to see Vera Lynn, Jimmy Edwards and Tony Hancock, so it gives you an idea how long ago that was. (sshhh it was 60 years!!)

Last edited by aries; Nov 1st 2012 at 4:29 am.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
This must be over 40 years ago but remember seeing The Two Ronnies in panto. The sight of the superlative Ronnie Barker as a woman is still a sublime memory..
Sounds awesome to me...

Its too bad Mr Barker is no longer with us, did you see Ronnie Corbet was on Graham Norton last Saturday, The Two Ronnies were Brilliant...

My panto memories include Les Dawson and Mike and Bernie Winters... Good Times...
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:49 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, Glad you enjoyed your trip to the theatre. I am not much of a theatre goer, but did attend quite a few plays over the years in Calgary. The only one that stands out was Amadeus, I really enjoyed it. I went to see Cats and fell asleep. I would never have fallen asleep during a Panto. Used to love them when I was a child. It was such an exciting day out.

Our village has an amateur Panto in February. It is written and acted by the locals and by all accounts it is a lot of fun. It takes a light hearted look at life in the village. The next one is Cinderella. I am trying to figure out who will be playing Prince Charming!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago Arnold Swartzniger was over here promoting his new movie, first movie hes made in about 11 years, because of his Governor of California 8 year term, anyway hes now free, older, and still making movies,
I saw him on the Jonathan Russ (wuss) show, anyway Arnold was bragging about that he has made hundreds of millions of dollars making movies over the years, and he said when he was governor he did not except the salary that went with the Job, he didn't need it, or want it,
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody, just checking in to let you know I am still alive.

I am friends with some off here on Facebook so I am able to see their coming and goings!

All is well with me, I have been back 2 years (!!) in February, so not long to celebrate my return now. Still working and living in Surrey, I will be looking to move though when my 2 year tenure is up at my present job, up North no doubt......or maybe the seaside......or maybe the countryside, who knows where I will end up??

I saw Charleygirl's earlier post and would love to meet up in London with her and Rodney and anybody else who wants to come along, I am 25 mins from London Waterloo and although I work Monday to Friday I can take a day's leave if weekdays are better for some. Just set the date and I will be there!

I have joined Meetup and am going on my first outing tomorrow, it's a great way to meet people and in my case I am going on a walk around London with a history guide, then everybody gets together afterwards for drinks at a pub.

Hope everybody is well and following their dreams.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Lucky you. I've had nothing but problems with my iPad 2, and when Apple Support helped me on the phone for 6 hours taking over my iMac by remote to try and resolve the problems (after an appointment at their genius bar with the iPad 2 for help achieved nothing), my iPhoto was totally messed up, and yesterday I paid a local computer tech £75 to put it right.

Apple had told me I would be given a new iPad because of the difficulties, but instead they chose to wipe the unit and reinstall. So I still have an iPad 2 which is flawed, but at least the local tech saved my blood pressure from escalating again.
Sorry to hear. Six hours on the phone.......sounds like a nightmare :-(
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hello everybody, just checking in to let you know I am still alive.

I am friends with some off here on Facebook so I am able to see their coming and goings!

All is well with me, I have been back 2 years (!!) in February, so not long to celebrate my return now. Still working and living in Surrey, I will be looking to move though when my 2 year tenure is up at my present job, up North no doubt......or maybe the seaside......or maybe the countryside, who knows where I will end up??

I saw Charleygirl's earlier post and would love to meet up in London with her and Rodney and anybody else who wants to come along, I am 25 mins from London Waterloo and although I work Monday to Friday I can take a day's leave if weekdays are better for some. Just set the date and I will be there!

I have joined Meetup and am going on my first outing tomorrow, it's a great way to meet people and in my case I am going on a walk around London with a history guide, then everybody gets together afterwards for drinks at a pub.

Hope everybody is well and following their dreams.
Good to hear you are still alive and kicking, B! I'd be up for a GTG in London anytime too!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:23 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Curleytops, how did the move go? Are you all settled in? I hope everything went well.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Curleytops, how did the move go? Are you all settled in? I hope everything went well.
Well we are here, still in a state of confusion but now its just a question of getting things in order at our own speed. The house is quite nice and with a few touches here and there I think we'll be quite cosy and comfortable. Neighbourhood is lovely, we have a Geordie next door and the walking path right beside the house apparently leads down to the beach. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad for exploring very soon!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:35 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Well we are here, still in a state of confusion but now its just a question of getting things in order at our own speed. The house is quite nice and with a few touches here and there I think we'll be quite cosy and comfortable. Neighbourhood is lovely, we have a Geordie next door and the walking path right beside the house apparently leads down to the beach. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad for exploring very soon!
I am so pleased for you, sounds great. That will be the fun part, making your house a cosy home. Don't forget to take your sunscreen when you head down to the beach. I can just see you on your sun lounger, knotted hanky on your head, whilst knitting away like a mad woman.

My virtual house warming gift to you!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:02 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123

Denise so many people are torn between two countries through the family they leave behind, and you are experiencing this first hand right now, and I feel for you so so much, it must be terrible for you, its nice to visit like you did but when the time comes for you to say goodbye its so hard isn't it
About the meet up ----- you, me, and Barb in London, lets do it !!!! and who else wants to come to London? the more the merrier
TAKE CARE
Rodney.

Rodney, If I were closer to London I would love to meet up with the group. I have already met three members of BE and would love to meet more of the people that have been helpful and supportive on this forum.
You southerners need to get "oop north" or even venture over the border to Scotland, before you need a passport to do so.

Now, I must charge my wine glass as Downton is about to begin. OH has been warned to cut the chit chat as we are now moving into a zero tolerance zone.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Let us hear more soon
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Iwannaknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi newbie here just browsing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.