Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Cheers - Nice to chat, so here are the shots I promised - and for under 1K, we were so pleased. Take care Don
What a beauty! I can see why you love it.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Erhum Rodney, I just read this quote from the Wall street Journal

[FONT="Century Gothic"]Many of the factors that normally correspond with a high rate of violence are not present in Nevada. The state is actually in the top 50% for poverty rate, income equality, and labor force participation. On the other hand, the state has a high teen birth rate and the second-highest percentage of its population without health insurance. Its citizens also have, according to Gallup, the second-worst access to basic necessities in the country. The state has the highest violent crime rate in the country, with 654.7 per every 100,000 residents recorded in 2010.[/FONT]

Read more: America’s Most (and Least) Peaceful States - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/04/26/amer...#ixzz1y6CoRS4X

I hope your not a bad influence in Pompey

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I have lost that forum? on homes that look interesting so I will post here.

I like this.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18781998.html

and this.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33950716.html

and finally this one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22439868.html

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick check in, wasnt sure where to post the other thread seems a bit "dead"
Life continues to be a roller coaster ride, my daughter stayed 3 months couldnt get a job, it is very very bad for work for unskilled here in Leicester, so sadly she has returned to the US. I didnt think she would stay with her twin being over there, her sister did come for 2 weeks though with a friend and the 3 of the had a great time, i think that was pushed twin 1 to go back.
I started work 10 days ago, I have to admit I hate it.. it is way too much for me, I got a job in a day Nursery-pre school, lots of things i dont like that I cant post on here. So now i am dreading going to work today, it is a 10 hour day too and I guess my 60 year old body is not up to it. Back to the grind stone, i was always in a fortunate position in the US of not having to work, now I am getting worried about my finances. My mum is not doing so well, and I am going to see her every day after work.. not getting home til almost 7.30 after leaving the house at 7.30 a.m.
I miss my children so much too..and they constantly ask me to go "home".

I love being home in the UK though, still not met anyone nasty or rude people in the shops, find everyone friendly and genuine.
I have considered a move back to NH but when I think of it properly I know that's not want i really want. But the pull of my children is great. I feel constantly torn .

I find food very reasonable, petrol came down in price this week too. I love my little car and have gotten used to the speed and narrow roads now.
My phone plan is great I used GiffGaff and it is 10 pounds a month for unlimited text 250 mins of calls and unlimited internet!

Thats all for now and I will try and come back here soon.
Oh and I love UK ebay you can get some awesome bargains here.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
I have lost that forum? on homes that look interesting so I will post here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33950716.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22439868.html
Cheers
Kingsbridge is a very nice spot - spent a lot of time there in the 90's - took orders for business cards, and letterheads from farmers, so took the mobile caravan down, and stayed a while. I can recommend the area. Don
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Just a quick check in, wasnt sure where to post the other thread seems a bit "dead"
Life continues to be a roller coaster ride, my daughter stayed 3 months couldnt get a job, it is very very bad for work for unskilled here in Leicester, so sadly she has returned to the US. I didnt think she would stay with her twin being over there, her sister did come for 2 weeks though with a friend and the 3 of the had a great time, i think that was pushed twin 1 to go back.
I started work 10 days ago, I have to admit I hate it.. it is way too much for me, I got a job in a day Nursery-pre school, lots of things i dont like that I cant post on here. So now i am dreading going to work today, it is a 10 hour day too and I guess my 60 year old body is not up to it. Back to the grind stone, i was always in a fortunate position in the US of not having to work, now I am getting worried about my finances. My mum is not doing so well, and I am going to see her every day after work.. not getting home til almost 7.30 after leaving the house at 7.30 a.m.
I miss my children so much too..and they constantly ask me to go "home".

I love being home in the UK though, still not met anyone nasty or rude people in the shops, find everyone friendly and genuine.
I have considered a move back to NH but when I think of it properly I know that's not want i really want. But the pull of my children is great. I feel constantly torn .

I find food very reasonable, petrol came down in price this week too. I love my little car and have gotten used to the speed and narrow roads now.
My phone plan is great I used GiffGaff and it is 10 pounds a month for unlimited text 250 mins of calls and unlimited internet!

Thats all for now and I will try and come back here soon.
Oh and I love UK ebay you can get some awesome bargains here.
Oh Charleygirl, I feel so sad for you, torn between the UK and the US and your kids. I am sure I would not have known what to do myself if I had younger children. As it is, I waited until my US son was in his late 20s and really could prove to be independent before I packed and returned here. Maybe you need to go back for a few more years, at least until you can claim your UK pension? What would you be facing if you did go back to NH for a while? Jobs? Place to live? You have to weigh the choices - there seems to be no work for your young ones here, so that is one option gone. That leaves you. At least you have a job at the moment - but have you thought of working with an older age group, even as a care giver in a Nursing Home? I don't remember if you are an educator, hence the school setting. Trying to be positive here.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Jun 18th 2012 at 10:30 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can't quite leave all of America behind---
It was just announced that Walgreens Drug Stores is to buy Boots Chemists.
Well 55% anyway with the option to buy the remaining shares in 3 years. STA.

Keep it up. Americans and others are or have bought out Britain. I'm waiting for Marriots to buy Buckingham Palace and make it into a Hotel. "God Save the Queen"

Cheers

Come to think of it, it can go both ways. A few years ago The Brits bought the American fast food company Burger King. I don't think they still own it. Any others?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Cheers
Come to think of it, it can go both ways. A few years ago The Brits bought the American fast food company Burger King. I don't think they still own it. Any others?
Perhaps they found out that the food wasn't so good after all! (joke) Don
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Erhum Rodney, I just read this quote from the Wall street Journal

[FONT="Century Gothic"]Many of the factors that normally correspond with a high rate of violence are not present in Nevada. The state is actually in the top 50% for poverty rate, income equality, and labor force participation. On the other hand, the state has a high teen birth rate and the second-highest percentage of its population without health insurance. Its citizens also have, according to Gallup, the second-worst access to basic necessities in the country. The state has the highest violent crime rate in the country, with 654.7 per every 100,000 residents recorded in 2010.[/FONT]

Read more: America’s Most (and Least) Peaceful States - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2012/04/26/amer...#ixzz1y6CoRS4X

I hope your not a bad influence in Pompey

Cheers
PHEW!!!! did I just get out of that hell hole at just the right time or what!!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Specially for Cheers! and the rest:

a visit to the cutest little Devon town, Shaldon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630224798472/
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:01 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

Lovely pics.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice pictures and now I know where Shaldon is. You could almost walk there.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

Gorgeous - thanks for sharing! Can't wait to get down and explore the south west.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

It was just announced that Walgreens Drug Stores is to buy Boots Chemists.
Well 55% anyway with the option to buy the remaining shares in 3 years. STA.

Keep it up. Americans and others are or have bought out Britain. I'm waiting for Marriots to buy Buckingham Palace and make it into a Hotel. "God Save the Queen"

Cheers

Kraft bought Cadbury, now this...

I for one hope the Walgreens Boots deal falls through, Boots is as English as you can get, its from my part of the country, why would ownership by Walgreens make it any better, I doubt it would, Im tired of Brits selling out, Business in America is mostly based on greed and I've had really my fill of it, I just dont trust American Corporations.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Kraft bought Cadbury, now this...

I for one hope the Walgreens Boots deal falls through, Boots is as English as you can get, its from my part of the country, why would ownership by Walgreens make it any better, I doubt it would,
Fish: I am with you here. I have found it somewhat disconcerting upon my return to find so much globalization in the UK. At least that is what I think it is. On one hand it has made for a more educated society, in the sense that people in the UK travel a lot more than they used to and are more tolerant of the differences in other cultures. But I do see a lot of American products in stores, and American words in common usage ('you guys', 24/7 just for example). It is no longer a little island but a multi-cultural country. It always was a Commonwealth mixture, but now it is also a European mixture, so quite a melting pot (to use another American term!). I am sure other BE members will have their own spin on what I have written, and I may have blamed globalization when it is something quite different - so if others want to jump in here, please do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.