Other side of the coin...

Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:48 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Other side of the coin...

Originally Posted by Bob
if it makes you feel better, it's collected every two weeks around here too, and people don't use rubbsih bins but through the rubbish bags out onto the road to get collected....so it ain't just London, and it's still just as minging.
Move up North, it's collected every week, same time bang on the dot with lovely smiley happy refuse collectors who put the bin back right where we left it! I even get a wave from them if I'm looking out the window and when my daughter was born they looked out each week to see me flash her off through the window.........think it was her they were looking at anyway, lol!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm sorry, but I sometimes don't have much patience with people who whinge about the weather in Britain because I don't think it's as bad as people like to make out, and it never stopped us from enjoying the great outdoors when we lived in Britain. Call me wierd but I when I lived close to the equator in Africa I actually used to miss the UK winter. I had a big map of the Lake District on my wall and would gaze at it imagining the green hills shrouded in damp mist.... aaah happy days.
I spend far more time indoors since I have been here because of the weather.
I loved walking,no way now it is too hot and unless I get up at 5am to do it it doesn't happen.My oh and I used to go out in all the seasons and cooler was best go walking up in the peak district and take our sarnys and hot drink. Bliss.
Nothing wrong with British weather at least it varies and has a different beauty for every season.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Move up North, it's collected every week, same time bang on the dot with lovely smiley happy refuse collectors who put the bin back right where we left it! I even get a wave from them if I'm looking out the window and when my daughter was born they looked out each week to see me flash her off through the window.........think it was her they were looking at anyway, lol!
aye, it's like that back home in Oxford.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

You know I used to think that, thought people were over exaggerating, it never bothered me when I actually lived in UK, but when I left and lived in sunny climes I found it harder to go back to it.

I spent 12 years living in a sunnier climate and found now mostly I find it depressing in the UK unless the sun is shining, I can deal with the cold but not the rest. Today, in Spain it has been sunny all day, not too hot, and it get dark at 6.30. I prefer that to 3pm which I will have to put up with next week. Sorry but I do more when it is hot. I don't even use A/C. But it is good to get the seasons which I liked when I lived in Melbourne, and even here in Spain at least it does go green in winter, bit more like an English summer then, lol. It was a joke the first year back in UK after having weeks of rain, I said, right that's it, I'm off to somewhere hot. I think it is harder to get used to the British weather once you lived in the Sun and wake up to the sun shining. At least I only have to put up with it for a week or two at a time, and then escape, so then can live with it easier.....

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm sorry, but I sometimes don't have much patience with people who whinge about the weather in Britain because I don't think it's as bad as people like to make out, and it never stopped us from enjoying the great outdoors when we lived in Britain. Call me wierd but I when I lived close to the equator in Africa I actually used to miss the UK winter. I had a big map of the Lake District on my wall and would gaze at it imagining the green hills shrouded in damp mist.... aaah happy days.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:18 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Yes, very amuzing, nice one. However, we DO enjoy very much being outdoors, walking, etc, (as well as watching tv and going to the pub!)hence our fustration at the "Great British weather." Personally, I find it much more ENJOYABLE/PLEASANT being outside walking, etc, with the sun on my back, rather than the rain/drizzle/fog/cold etc, as the winters in the UK seem to last forever and do get me down. Don't you think!?
Walking is a lot easier to do in the rain than in a 38 plus degree heat. As for your previous post about wanting us to see the bigger picture, we do, having a big house/pool/plasma TV etc in a warm sunny country with all the same social problems as the England but without family and friends means that England wins hands down.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meljor
Walking is a lot easier to do in the rain than in a 38 plus degree heat. As for your previous post about wanting us to see the bigger picture, we do, having a big house/pool/plasma TV etc in a warm sunny country with all the same social problems as the England but without family and friends means that England wins hands down.
Here here...in the lovely Yorkshire country
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Here here...in the lovely Yorkshire country
yeah it would be lovely if you put all the yorkshire folk on the Isle of Wight first
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=HiddenPaw;4260957]We've lived both sides of the fence; you've lived just the one side. Maybe it's YOU who needs to see the bigger picture. [/QUOTE Well, IF it doesn't work out on Aus for us, I would really like to think we won't put it down to missing Tescos or perceived grating Aus phrases, that's for sure...
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I wouldn't bother worrying whether people have thought of the bigger picture or are making the wrong choice. It's entirely each person's own choice, and to be honest, these kinds of posts have a zero effect on their views. So it's all a bit pointless

You're going from one extreme to the other. The sun on your back is nice, until the temps rise above 80, then it's just a pure sweaty hell. Maybe you'll like it, who knows?

Those few hot months can drag just as much as the long cold days of Britain. Sunshine is great when on holiday, but it gets in the way when living in it.

Lastly, when you do arrive Australia, I hope it works out well for you. However, that first time you go into a supermarket and you don't recognise a single brand name on the shelves, and it takes forever to get around the store because you don't know what all the items are, you may pause for a minute and wish you were in Tescos again.
Question:- If Aus is potentially a " Sweaty hell", why does your location read Florida, one of the most hot/humid places on earth!?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I love the long, light evenings in UK summer. Long, dark evenings on the Sunny Coast would get me down. What is it, sunset by 6.30pm in the height of summer? I suppose you don't get the 3.30pm darkness tho, (although even in winter it's dark by 5pm). I guess you get used to it.
Granted, it does get dark earlier in Aus than here, generally, BUT you can still sit outside with a book and a glass of wine, couldn't do that in the UK for most of the year, could you?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blowfly
I spend far more time indoors since I have been here because of the weather.
I loved walking,no way now it is too hot and unless I get up at 5am to do it it doesn't happen.My oh and I used to go out in all the seasons and cooler was best go walking up in the peak district and take our sarnys and hot drink. Bliss.
Nothing wrong with British weather at least it varies and has a different beauty for every season.
Aus is a continent, hence climate varies quite abit, depending on where you live. Stab in the dark:- bet you don't live in Melbourne, they have seasons there, you know!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meljor
The fact that you are still there speaks volumes, though...(ie all things considered,etc..)
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Question:- If Aus is potentially a " Sweaty hell", why does your location read Florida, one of the most hot/humid places on earth!?
Because that's where I am.
I wasn't specifically talking about OZ, but anywhere in the sun where the temps go above 80. Doesn't matter whether it's Oz, the US, the med, Asia or the saharra, living in it becomes a sweaty hell (in my opinion )
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Because that's where I am.
I wasn't specifically talking about OZ, but anywhere in the sun where the temps go above 80. Doesn't matter whether it's Oz, the US, the med, Asia or the saharra, living in it becomes a sweaty hell (in my opinion )
In your opinion.Ok.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:55 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Well, IF it doesn't work out on Aus for us, I would really like to think we won't put it down to missing Tescos or perceived grating Aus phrases, that's for sure...
Do you really think those are the defining reasons for others to leave then?

I think you need to re-read this post again and again until you realise
that people do not move back for such simple reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.