Other side of the coin...

Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Re: Other side of the coin...

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Having read some of the threads in the returning to the uk forum, I know some people have obviously had genuinely bad experiences in Aus through bad luck/no fault of there own, etc, and it is human nature to feel "BITTER" re any bad experience, indeed we may feel the same way ourselves in 2 years' time, but it seems to me that most are gripeing about things that are NOT really important issues, eg like missing Tescos/Aus phrases, which proves my point, would these things even bother these people if things had worked out? I suspect not....water off a ducks back, me thinks...

Anyway, personally, again we may feel differently in 2years time, but I think some of the "real" issues are if we don't give it a go and STAY in the UK are:-

* Do I feel safe walking round to my local shops after dark?

* Would I want to bring up children in the aggressive environment that is the UK/what opportunities are there for them with no apprenterships, etc, anymore, ie for the person of average intelliegence, other than working in a warehouse?

* Will I have a pension when I retire?

* Do I really want to spend the rest of my life in a country where for 7 months of the year it is too cold/wet/dark to really do anything but watch tv or be in the pub?

etc, etc....Think about it...
Yes we experienced and thought long and hard with regards to the points above! Thats why we moved to the UK from NZ!

Burt
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Skyblue67
Jamie,

If you end up coming to Australia and stay a reasonable amount of time I can absolutely nailed-on guarantee you that you will feel homesick from time to time. You might well be surprised about what you miss as well. It can be strange what creeps up on you.

For a lot of people on this forum homesickness is an ever-present problem. Its a lot easier to give little examples about things you miss than to masterfully sum up what it is to be homesick. People might often mention stuff like football, tesco's, mushy peas or whatever but these are just the small parts of a very big total. No-one really moves around the world because they miss the clothes at NEXT but they will move to feel familiar,settled, known, belonging etc. Mentioning this kind of stuff helps people get this off their chests so sniping at people for missing baked beans or whatever really misses the point.

That whole "whingeing pom" thing gets very old very quickly when you live here too. If you thing the Aussies don't complain bitterly about stuff...oh my...

I'd say emigrate by all means, have the experience and it might work out for you. Hope it does. Don't let your enthusiasm for it drive you to shout down other people though.
What you say totally makes sense, as we may find out ourselves eventually, but the original intention of the thread was only to try to draw people's attention to the bigger picture...
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
Where do you live - the Faeroe Islands?
Yes, very amuzing, nice one. However, we DO enjoy very much being outdoors, walking, etc, (as well as watching tv and going to the pub!)hence our fustration at the "Great British weather." Personally, I find it much more ENJOYABLE/PLEASANT being outside walking, etc, with the sun on my back, rather than the rain/drizzle/fog/cold etc, as the winters in the UK seem to last forever and do get me down. Don't you think!?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassenach
I wish you every success in australia and i hope you never have to eat your words ,because a fair few do including me it isnt the land of milk and honey here in aussie and if it doesnt work for you personally you are infor a expensive and very very miserable time indeed .Good luck
But like I keep saying, the original thread was to point out the potential destiny of STAYING in the Uk, and trying to draw people's attention to the bigger picture NOT just to talk up Aus. Think, with all due respect, you have got the wrong end of the stick.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very amuzing, nice one. However, we DO enjoy very much being outdoors, walking, etc, (as well as watching tv and going to the pub!)hence our fustration at the "Great British weather." Personally, I find it much more ENJOYABLE/PLEASANT being outside walking, etc, with the sun on my back, rather than the rain/drizzle/fog/cold etc, as the winters in the UK seem to last forever and do get me down. Don't you think!?
I must admit I agree with that, I'm more motivated in being outdoors when the weather is good. I can deal with cold and sunny, but getting dark at 3pm I find depressing and the days are long. I think once you have lived in a sunny climate for a few years it does make a difference when you're not in it. I also find it easier to eat healthier in warmer climes. I also don't get so sick, I seem to catch everything when I arrive back in the UK, I rarely got sick in Australia or Spain for that matter.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:39 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but I sometimes don't have much patience with people who whinge about the weather in Britain because I don't think it's as bad as people like to make out, and it never stopped us from enjoying the great outdoors when we lived in Britain. Call me wierd but I when I lived close to the equator in Africa I actually used to miss the UK winter. I had a big map of the Lake District on my wall and would gaze at it imagining the green hills shrouded in damp mist.... aaah happy days.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm sorry, but I sometimes don't have much patience with people who whinge about the weather in Britain because I don't think it's as bad as people like to make out, and it never stopped us from enjoying the great outdoors when we lived in Britain. Call me wierd but I when I lived close to the equator in Africa I actually used to miss the UK winter. I had a big map of the Lake District on my wall and would gaze at it imagining the green hills shrouded in damp mist.... aaah happy days.
Guess it's each to there own, not my idea of fun sloshing around in the rain on a muddy hillside, trust me, we did it last year in the Lakes. Will have to agree to dis-agree on this one.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blowfly
You sound like you live in central qld only the weathers so hot you can't move for 7 months of the year
We will be on the Sun Coast, and I accept it WILL be HOT for a few months during the summer, but I think you have maybe forgot just how LONG the British winter drags on for...must admit it gets me down.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:11 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rodders39
Violence or burglary...?
for a moment there i thought that read violence or buggery i'll get me coat
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We will be on the Sun Coast, and I accept it WILL be HOT for a few months during the summer, but I think you have maybe forgot just how LONG the British winter drags on for...must admit it gets me down.
doesn't drag on as long as it does in NE though
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but that is not my intention, merely looking at the bigger picture.If the truth hurts..
Why not post this in the Australia forums you twit.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:08 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

What you say totally makes sense, as we may find out ourselves eventually, but the original intention of the thread was only to try to draw people's attention to the bigger picture...
I wouldn't bother worrying whether people have thought of the bigger picture or are making the wrong choice. It's entirely each person's own choice, and to be honest, these kinds of posts have a zero effect on their views. So it's all a bit pointless

You're going from one extreme to the other. The sun on your back is nice, until the temps rise above 80, then it's just a pure sweaty hell. Maybe you'll like it, who knows?

Those few hot months can drag just as much as the long cold days of Britain. Sunshine is great when on holiday, but it gets in the way when living in it.

Lastly, when you do arrive Australia, I hope it works out well for you. However, that first time you go into a supermarket and you don't recognise a single brand name on the shelves, and it takes forever to get around the store because you don't know what all the items are, you may pause for a minute and wish you were in Tescos again.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

but the original intention of the thread was only to try to draw people's attention to the bigger picture...
We've lived both sides of the fence; you've lived just the one side. Maybe it's YOU who needs to see the bigger picture.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I love the long, light evenings in UK summer. Long, dark evenings on the Sunny Coast would get me down. What is it, sunset by 6.30pm in the height of summer? I suppose you don't get the 3.30pm darkness tho, (although even in winter it's dark by 5pm). I guess you get used to it.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
doesn't drag on as long as it does in NE though
Bugger me you have that right, Norman.

Never had "cabin fever" in the UK.....

Had it in the NE. Its so cold you can die in it, if exposed in the depths of winter and it goes on for almost half the f&%kin year........

"the other side of the coin".....in sunny California, you get utterly sick of 90-100F constantly, no rain, brown hills, being cooked. In November.....

The distractions of English life to handle the weather there????.....its a fair deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.